Tuesday, December 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Spum
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:42 pm

Re: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Spum » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:36 pm

JayK33 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:55 am
I got today's FJ wrong, for the simple fact that I am not a follower of sports, can't recall a lot of the team names in any of the leagues, and Buckaneers did not come to mind.

I said Steelers, just knowing they used to be called the Pirates. So I thought it sounded good.

Congrats to Dave on win # 2. Good luck tomorrow.
The Steelers were never known as the Pirates. There was a Pittsburgh Pirates NHL team from 1925-1930.

User avatar
DBear
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1035
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:52 pm

John Boy wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:42 pm
acthomas wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:41 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:07 pm
The FJ! clue was a no huddle snap for processing and writing to be done before the music. I was prepared to do a 32-team speed round in 30 seconds if necessary as I spent the break making sure I could instantly recall the teams in their 4-team division blocks. Nope, not necessary.
I got it down quickly to "pirate team" ... and then wondered seriously if it's something the Raiders might do with their pirate aesthetic.

Then figured that said team in black and white has other less colorful historical gimmicks (unless you count black and blue).
I also immediately thought of both Bucs and Raiders, and even now (the next day) I can't think why the Raiders might not have been the correct answer. I mean, uh, except for the fact that they weren't, but...if you're just trying to suss it out rather than actually knowing that factoid (which was probably most of us), it could be either. I guessed right, but for the 99.9% of folks who wouldn't Know-know this, this had to come down to "take a flying guess which of two teams this was." I'm not fond of clues like that.
I'm really not getting why Raiders are such a popular guess for a team with a parrot. To me, Raiders suggest the hordes of Genghis Khan, certainly not swashbuckling pirates.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6276
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:00 pm

DBear wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:52 pm
John Boy wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:42 pm
acthomas wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:41 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:07 pm
The FJ! clue was a no huddle snap for processing and writing to be done before the music. I was prepared to do a 32-team speed round in 30 seconds if necessary as I spent the break making sure I could instantly recall the teams in their 4-team division blocks. Nope, not necessary.
I got it down quickly to "pirate team" ... and then wondered seriously if it's something the Raiders might do with their pirate aesthetic.

Then figured that said team in black and white has other less colorful historical gimmicks (unless you count black and blue).
I also immediately thought of both Bucs and Raiders, and even now (the next day) I can't think why the Raiders might not have been the correct answer. I mean, uh, except for the fact that they weren't, but...if you're just trying to suss it out rather than actually knowing that factoid (which was probably most of us), it could be either. I guessed right, but for the 99.9% of folks who wouldn't Know-know this, this had to come down to "take a flying guess which of two teams this was." I'm not fond of clues like that.
I'm really not getting why Raiders are such a popular guess for a team with a parrot. To me, Raiders suggest the hordes of Genghis Khan, certainly not swashbuckling pirates.
Their logo's a guy with an eyepatch and swords. Pretty piratey.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3181
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:33 pm

Volante wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:00 pm
DBear wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:52 pm
John Boy wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:42 pm
acthomas wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:41 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:07 pm
The FJ! clue was a no huddle snap for processing and writing to be done before the music. I was prepared to do a 32-team speed round in 30 seconds if necessary as I spent the break making sure I could instantly recall the teams in their 4-team division blocks. Nope, not necessary.
I got it down quickly to "pirate team" ... and then wondered seriously if it's something the Raiders might do with their pirate aesthetic.

Then figured that said team in black and white has other less colorful historical gimmicks (unless you count black and blue).
I also immediately thought of both Bucs and Raiders, and even now (the next day) I can't think why the Raiders might not have been the correct answer. I mean, uh, except for the fact that they weren't, but...if you're just trying to suss it out rather than actually knowing that factoid (which was probably most of us), it could be either. I guessed right, but for the 99.9% of folks who wouldn't Know-know this, this had to come down to "take a flying guess which of two teams this was." I'm not fond of clues like that.
I'm really not getting why Raiders are such a popular guess for a team with a parrot. To me, Raiders suggest the hordes of Genghis Khan, certainly not swashbuckling pirates.
Their logo's a guy with an eyepatch and swords. Pretty piratey.
Wearing a helmet - football, I know - seems kind of Viking-y. Also, his swords thrust through the helmet...no wonder he lost an eye!... :roll:

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:13 am

Re: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Peter the accountant » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:11 pm

immaf wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:30 am
For FJ, my inner dialogue went something like this:
Pirates!
There are no Pirates in the NFL.
Are you sure?
Pretty sure, yes. There's a baseball team. Not football.
Yes! The baseball team is from somewhere in Pennsylvania. And the corresponding football team is... the Philadelphia?...
Eagles.
Oh. Those are not the same as Pirates.
No.
Unless they are piratical eagles?
Shut up. Think of something similar to pirates.
Similar to pirates...similar to pirates... The BUCANEE... (and time is up)
That was very close to MY inner dialogue:

Who would use a parrot? Pirates!! It's the Pittsburgh Pirates!
Wait - that's baseball. Who are the football pirates? Ummm ... There isn't one. What's another name for pirates?
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers. That's it. (And I got there with enough time to write it down and choose between one "c" and two.)

Fortunately for me, that was right. I never considered the Raiders as a reasonable alternative.
--Peter

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4402
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:48 pm

Spum wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:36 pm
JayK33 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:55 am
I got today's FJ wrong, for the simple fact that I am not a follower of sports, can't recall a lot of the team names in any of the leagues, and Buckaneers did not come to mind.

I said Steelers, just knowing they used to be called the Pirates. So I thought it sounded good.

Congrats to Dave on win # 2. Good luck tomorrow.
The Steelers were never known as the Pirates. There was a Pittsburgh Pirates NHL team from 1925-1930.
Many sources beg to differ.

https://www.profootballhof.com/teams/pi ... m-history/

User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 1029
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by trainman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:36 am

trainman wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:24 am
Their current uniforms really aren't much better, particularly the numbers, which look like they came from a clock radio.
...and of course, they proved this by wearing the worst possible version of the current uniforms today (the all-red versions, which look like they're wearing union suits).

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:51 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by reddpen » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:23 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:03 pm
"Hank" is a nickname for Henry? How?!
"Bobby" is a nickname for Robert? Inconceivable!

Post Reply