Thursday, December 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 651
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:56 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Thursday, December 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by billiej » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:15 am

DBear wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:46 pm
"mistakenly called an Arab land" is Pavlovian for Iran
TIL....and this is why I watch J! and read these boards! Said Egypt just to have something. :oops:

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6491
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Thursday, December 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:49 am

billiej wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:15 am
DBear wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:46 pm
"mistakenly called an Arab land" is Pavlovian for Iran
TIL....and this is why I watch J! and read these boards! Said Egypt just to have something. :oops:
I'm going to disagree with that being Pavlovian. I agree that Iran is a go-to on "mistakenly called an Arab land", but I think Turkey would fit that characterization as well (and equally).

User avatar
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 651
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:56 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Thursday, December 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by billiej » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:33 am

alietr wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:49 am
billiej wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:15 am
DBear wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:46 pm
"mistakenly called an Arab land" is Pavlovian for Iran
TIL....and this is why I watch J! and read these boards! Said Egypt just to have something. :oops:
I'm going to disagree with that being Pavlovian. I agree that Iran is a go-to on "mistakenly called an Arab land", but I think Turkey would fit that characterization as well (and equally).
When I first saw someone here guessing Turkey, I said to myself, "Oh yeah, that's a much better guess." :lol:

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6491
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Thursday, December 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:58 am

billiej wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:33 am
alietr wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:49 am
billiej wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:15 am
DBear wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:46 pm
"mistakenly called an Arab land" is Pavlovian for Iran
TIL....and this is why I watch J! and read these boards! Said Egypt just to have something. :oops:
I'm going to disagree with that being Pavlovian. I agree that Iran is a go-to on "mistakenly called an Arab land", but I think Turkey would fit that characterization as well (and equally).
When I first saw someone here guessing Turkey, I said to myself, "Oh yeah, that's a much better guess." :lol:
I'll confess to guessing Turkey on FJ. I would say that pre-Khashoggi, I would almost certainly have said Iran instead, but Turkey was too much in mind.

User avatar
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 720
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:59 am

Re: Thursday, December 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Woppy T » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:04 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:52 am
OrangeSAM wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:24 am
MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:31 am
That was one ugly J! round as the players were slow to get untracked.
Given my previous post in this thread, perhaps I shouldn't make this comment.

To me, "untracked" is a negative thing, as in "derailed". Perhaps you meant "on track". Or perhaps the language is changing again without my knowledge or permission. ;)
I think Mark's usage was correct. You see that in sports stories all the time, e.g. "The Lakers couldn't get untracked until late in the game..."
I've never heard "untracked" and definitely would have used "on track" instead. Maybe this is a regional thing?

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2416
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Thursday, December 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:22 pm

Foretopman wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:48 pm
I"m kinda with TPH on the dwarfs clue. If you've never seen the clock, is there any reason to pick one dwarf over any other?
None that I'm aware of. Seems to me if you haven't seen the clock, it's just a random 1-in-7 guess. No logical reason it should be one and not any other.

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2416
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Thursday, December 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:25 pm

billiej wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:15 am
DBear wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:46 pm
"mistakenly called an Arab land" is Pavlovian for Iran
TIL....and this is why I watch J! and read these boards! Said Egypt just to have something. :oops:
I'm with you. A lot of people think Iran is Arabic but it's really not?? Well, I also learned something today. And I also said Egypt, also pretty much just to have something.

However, I DO know that Lincoln was our 16th president. So there's that.

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 3927
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Thursday, December 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Woof » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:13 pm

OrangeSAM wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:13 am
Jasper wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:52 pm
Dave Leffler's response "What is Daylight Savings Time?" is grammatically ambiguous. It is more properly Daylight Saving Time or Daylight Time.

The late William Safire, who at the time wrote the NY Times column On Language, addressed this in 1986: https://www.nytimes.com/1986/04/27/maga ... -come.html.
Well, B.S. be damned. The language is gonna go the way it's gonna go. In this case, it's gone both ways. What a language!
Cue DFW Tense Present :mrgreen:

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Sharp As A Tack
Posts: 908
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Thursday, December 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:17 pm

49 R
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: 15th Century, 14th Century, Dopey, One, Tiny Archibald, Villa, Groundbreaking, Karakorum, Becky Sharpe

Only missed DD#1, the Brendan Behan quote(Which does sound familiar.), and Hoops $400 and $800.

Would have definitely got the remaining clues in Artist Museums and Mountain Range.

Possibly would have gotten all the remaining clues in around L. A.
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 126.4k games
Alpaca Farm: 1253 quizzes
Sporcle: 5,560 quizzes
...and still quizzing

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6114
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Thursday, December 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:58 pm

John Boy wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:22 pm
Foretopman wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:48 pm
I"m kinda with TPH on the dwarfs clue. If you've never seen the clock, is there any reason to pick one dwarf over any other?
None that I'm aware of. Seems to me if you haven't seen the clock, it's just a random 1-in-7 guess. No logical reason it should be one and not any other.
One is decidedly more whimsical (and, judging by non-beardedness, younger) than the rest.

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1045
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: Thursday, December 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Elijah Baley » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:33 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:58 pm
John Boy wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:22 pm
Foretopman wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:48 pm
I"m kinda with TPH on the dwarfs clue. If you've never seen the clock, is there any reason to pick one dwarf over any other?
None that I'm aware of. Seems to me if you haven't seen the clock, it's just a random 1-in-7 guess. No logical reason it should be one and not any other.
One is decidedly more whimsical (and, judging by non-beardedness, younger) than the rest.
Exactly. The only other logical possibility - as logical as one can be when talking about fiction - would be Happy, or maybe Doc. Both seem a bit too mature, particularly concerning the more obvious choice.

It probably wouldn't have been a good FJ clue, but for anything else, it's a pretty good one.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6599
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Thursday, December 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:40 pm

Elijah Baley wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:33 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:58 pm
John Boy wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:22 pm
Foretopman wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:48 pm
I"m kinda with TPH on the dwarfs clue. If you've never seen the clock, is there any reason to pick one dwarf over any other?
None that I'm aware of. Seems to me if you haven't seen the clock, it's just a random 1-in-7 guess. No logical reason it should be one and not any other.
One is decidedly more whimsical (and, judging by non-beardedness, younger) than the rest.
Exactly. The only other logical possibility - as logical as one can be when talking about fiction - would be Happy, or maybe Doc. Both seem a bit too mature, particularly concerning the more obvious choice.
I guessed Sleepy because I could picture him on top of the pendulum being rocked to sleep. I wouldn't have buzzed in on this one.

Post Reply