Friday, December 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, December 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:15 pm
14. 4x Kyle Becker (63,802)
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:11 pm The best news would be to hear the TOC will piggyback the Teachers Tournament in May.
I doubt that's happening: https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz#events
Accidental omission of Kyle Becker on my part and no slight intended. At least you know I did not copy the tracker on your site or the J! one.

I had no idea there was another teen tournament in June. Thanks.

The next TOC not happening until S36 seems like big trouble for the hopes of the 4x champs.

I can't recall the board member who posted it, but I like the idea of a play-in game. Winner is in the TOC and the runners-up can both be alternates to get a taste of the experience.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Sad to see Dave go, but the challengers both played great. Congrats to Staci.
davey

Post by davey »

DBear wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:05 pm Precalled The Nutcracker, easy to get Aida from the clue. 5/5 for the week :D
The Nutcracker is a ballet...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

What was that shade that Alex threw at Nick? I don't think AT knows the difference between bloated up bodybuilers and powerlifters. Bodybuilders wear tight unitards and powerlifters are in baggy hoodies, etc.. I think Nick is probably like they said about a young Mickey Mantle (6-1/200); the more clothes he took off the bigger he got.

Let's see, twelvefootboy has 4 in a row after a goose egg last week. I know - let's run Opera as the Friday category. Bugs Bunny never did an Aida skit, so no go for the box of Glory. I wagged "Lohengrin", not knowing how to spell it, what it is about, and if it's even an opera
Spoiler
Lohengrin, WWV 75, is a Romantic opera in three acts composed and written by Richard Wagner, first performed in 1850.

Lohengrin is a character in German Arthurian literature. The son of Parzival (Percival), he is a knight of the Holy Grail sent in a boat pulled by swans to rescue a maiden who can never ask his identity.
Yes, the Alex medical history was easy, but kind of cute. I liked Nick, but that last wild guess did him in. Kudos to Dave for recognizing it was a free shot for him and going for the Hail Mary.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:48 pm I can't recall the board member who posted it, but I like the idea of a play-in game. Winner is in the TOC and the runners-up can both be alternates to get a taste of the experience.
I believe that this idea was first floated by Vermonter.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Leander

Post by Leander »

mungar wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:38 pm Instaget FJ in my worst category. I've learned if I just remember Egypt = Aida and Japan = The Mikado, I'll get there quite often. When Egypt/Japan aren't mentioned, just sprinkle in random guesses of Carmen, Magic Flute, and Marriage of Figaro :lol:
You might also consider Japan = Madame Butterfly, since The Mikado is more properly an operetta.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Staci hit that perfect sweet spot of being exhilarated at her win without being obnoxious about it. Sorry to see Dave go, he was great to watch. $100K should help in his retirement.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I for one much enjoyed Dave's run and am saddened to see him go. Still Staci won fair and square and all props to her.

Question about 4-letter words: They asked about reducing the number of animals in a herd etc. and I knew they were looking for "CULL," but AT said either that or some other word was acceptable. Sounded like "FEND" but I don't think that's right. Anybody?

And yeah, this is my wet dream: take the lead into FJ and see the "dreaded opera category." Maybe everyone else dreads it but it's my friend. Got Aida before he finished reading the clue.
Last edited by John Boy on Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

John Boy wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:24 am ...

Question about 4-letter words: They asked about reducing the number of animals in a herd etc. and I knew they were looking for "CULL," but AT said either that or some other word was acceptable. Sounded like "FEND" but I don't think that's right. Anybody?

What is to thin?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

53 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Gonzo), Philip Roth, Manolo Blahnik, Foxtail, Lemongrass

Only misses were Hip $400, $600 and $800 in Faces, Donald Trump's second wife, and $1200 and $2000 in 4-Letter.

Ashamed for not getting Trump's second wife. However, I am very proud of myself for getting Nikki Haley. :D
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:33 pm Instaget FJ. Thebes -> Egypt -> Aida, cya next week.
I had the misfortune of going Thebes -> Greece and ended up trying Otello
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:11 pm 1. College Dhruv
2. Teacher Larry
3. Teacher in May 2019
4. 7x Josh Hill
5. 7x Ryan Fenster
6. 7x Kyle Jones
7. 6x Rob Worman
8. 5x Alan Dunn
9. 5x Gilbert Collins
10. 5x Rachel Lindgren
11. 4x Dave Leffler ($100,102)
12. 4x Alex Schmidt (92,880)
13. 4x Mary Ann Borer (86,500)
14. 4x Kyle Becker (63,802)
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:11 pm The best news would be to hear the TOC will piggyback the Teachers Tournament in May.
Why would they have two of the same tournament in the same season? Is there any precedent for that? I wonder if it could be a mistake? I’m just speculating, not demanding an answer of anyone.

I suppose maybe they wanted to move the teens to be a permanent summer fixture which would mean they’d have to run two in one season at some point in the transition.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:59 pm
Why would they have two of the same tournament in the same season? Is there any precedent for that? I wonder if it could be a mistake? I’m just speculating, not demanding an answer of anyone.

I suppose maybe they wanted to move the teens to be a permanent summer fixture which would mean they’d have to run two in one season at some point in the transition.
Season 23 had a Teen Tournament in both February and July (the latter was dubbed the "Summer Games"). Every other season from 3-30 had exactly one (not counting the Teen Reunion in Season 15), then none in Seasons 31 and 32, one in Season 33, off again in Season 34, and two this season. The upcoming Teen Tournament will be the first tournament of any kind to air in the month of June.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:29 pm Any reason that I should know Carrie Bradshaw = cosmopolitan? That could've been anything.
All I can say is I've never seen a minute of the Sex and the City but I knew it.

Did Dave say Trump's second wife was Ivanka? It's possible I misheard Ivana, but if not, oops! :)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:02 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:29 pm Any reason that I should know Carrie Bradshaw = cosmopolitan? That could've been anything.
All I can say is I've never seen a minute of the Sex and the City but I knew it.

Did Dave say Trump's second wife was Ivanka? It's possible I misheard Ivana, but if not, oops! :)
You heard correctly.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:29 am
John Boy wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:24 am ...

What is to thin?
Ooooooooohhhhhhhh! Yeah, that makes more sense. Thanks.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:59 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:15 pm I doubt that's happening: https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz#events

For what it's worth, members of this most recent cohort of Teen players are suggesting that this second tournament is in fact being taped this week and being held until June.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:29 am Nick did 8200+6000 on DD3 leaving 2200 on the table with 9 clues left. Nick trailed by 1400 going into the FJ! round. The other place where he could have had the lead for the FJ! round was clue 30. Nick negged $1600 taking himself out of the lead. That's okay he got $2000 to cover his trip and Staci says thank you.
Staci seemed more relaxed than Nick, and I think that worked to her advantage today. Impossible to know how any player is feeling, but Nick was clearly frustrated on the buzzer and looked thrown by his wrong responses. Dave faded away in this game after a dominant run - hard to tell if he was getting locked out or if he wasn't as comfortable with the boards.

AFTER THE CIVIL WAR DD in the $2000 box? I would have bet $5

I worked as an extra on a few episodes of S&TC. No way I was missing Cosmo, but I don't see how you get it without having seen the show
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:43 am No way I was missing Cosmo, but I don't see how you get it without having seen the show
Disagree. It was very much part of the pop culture lexicon in the show's heyday.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:07 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:43 am No way I was missing Cosmo, but I don't see how you get it without having seen the show
Disagree. It was very much part of the pop culture lexicon in the show's heyday.
Yeah, I guess you're right. But I could still see this being off the radar for a lot of people