Friday, December 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, December 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, December 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OPERA

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In Act I of this opera, a messenger says, “barbarous Ethiopians” have invaded & “are already marching on Thebes”

Dave Leffler: 10600-10600=0
Staci Huffman: 16000+13201=29201 (New Champ)
Nick Wawrykow: 14600+6601=21201

Correct response:
Spoiler
Aida (Dave – Antony & Cleopatra)

Daily Doubles
Nick: 600-1000
Staci: 8000+2000
Nick: 8200+6000

Coryats
Dave: 10600
Staci: 15600
Nick: 11600

Combined: 37800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dave: 4600
Staci: 3600
Nick: 2600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

60/61 clues seen and is where the one not seen? PRO WRESTLING $1000 Booooo! There went my chance for the category run. Nice by the writers to have HEELS followed by FACES for the slang terms for bad guys and good guys in the entertainment sport.

Just not Dave's day. You gotta know to pluralize your kids game with big eating animals.

Nick did 8200+6000 on DD3 leaving 2200 on the table with 9 clues left. Nick trailed by 1400 going into the FJ! round. The other place where he could have had the lead for the FJ! round was clue 30. Nick negged $1600 taking himself out of the lead. That's okay he got $2000 to cover his trip and Staci says thank you.

Alex predicted a big pay day and with that clue no way it goes 0/3. I watched Dave and my reaction was, "Why is he still writing?"
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:29 am 60/61 clues seen and is where the one not seen? PRO WRESTLING $1000 Booooo! There went my chance for the category run. Nice by the writers to have HEELS followed by FACES for the slang terms for bad guys and good guys in the entertainment sport.

Just not Dave's day. You gotta know to pluralize your kids game with big eating animals.

Nick did 8200+6000 on DD3 leaving 2200 on the table with 9 clues left. Nick trailed by 1400 going into the FJ! round. The other place where he could have had the lead for the FJ! round was clue 30. Nick negged $1600 taking himself out of the lead. That's okay he got $2000 to cover his trip and Staci says thank you.

Alex predicted a big pay day and with that clue no way it goes 0/3. I watched Dave and my reaction was, "Why is he still writing?"
Jeopardy does often reward the bold and while Nick deserves credit for not going with the standard $2,000, there wasn't much point in holding back. Still, human nature is just hard to overcome when that moment arrives and I can't say I wouldn't be thinking the same thing of "I'll leave myself something in case I'm wrong."

Dave's FJ miss surprised me just because he seemed to have a pretty broad range of knowledge and as opera clues go, they don't get much easier - or call for a shorter response. (Jeopardy keeps pushing opera on us but if you ever go to a performance and see the audience, you have to wonder how long they'll be able to support live performances!). Anyway, hope to see Dave in the TOC.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

TIL Andre the Giant was a wrestler. I thought he was just a guy famous for being tall.

But yeah. Literature, Wrestling, and a category about recognizing people entirely by their faces? Not a TPH board at all.

I had a total brainlock and couldn't think of a single country beginning with E.

Any reason that I should know Carrie Bradshaw = cosmopolitan? That could've been anything.

Yes, I got "bluegrass".

Opera? Yeah, no way am I gonna get anything other than a goose egg. Can't say that I recognize the correct reponse.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:29 pm Any reason that I should know Carrie Bradshaw = cosmopolitan? That could've been anything.
I'm with you on that one.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:29 am Nick did 8200+6000 on DD3 leaving 2200 on the table with 9 clues left. Nick trailed by 1400 going into the FJ! round. The other place where he could have had the lead for the FJ! round was clue 30. Nick negged $1600 taking himself out of the lead.
Saves me the trouble of griping about it. Yeesh. Crappy end to the week. Hopefully they won't take so long to hold the next TOC that it wipes out all the 4Xers like last time. I'd definitely like to see him again.

Instaget FJ. Thebes -> Egypt -> Aida, cya next week.
econgator wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:30 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:29 pm Any reason that I should know Carrie Bradshaw = cosmopolitan? That could've been anything.
Thanks to some articles about Sex and the City back in the day, I still have Manolo Blahnik rattling around in my head, which came in handy today. But what type of drink she liked? Ahahaha ^!@# no.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For the drink you have to do like Lucario and memorize the Archive:

#6079, aired 2011-02-03 UNUSUAL COUNTRY MUSIC LYRICS $800: I don't like beer / I like my drinks pretty / Like this vodka, cointreau, cranberry juice & lime juice one / On "Sex & the City"
#4723, aired 2005-03-02 21 $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from a table at 21, holding a cocktail.) Cosmo in hand & wearing my Manolos, I'm at the table at 21 where this comedy's Carrie dined with Mr. Big

I got it right since I can pick up that kind of TV trivia by osmosis. Certainly not from watching the show as my only recollection is seeing one episode while recording it on VHS for a friend who was away.

For the TOC. I'm in the yes rooting for Mary Ann and yes Dave club. The list shows:

1. College Dhruv
2. Teacher Larry
3. Teacher in May 2019
4. 7x Josh Hill
5. 7x Ryan Fenster
6. 7x Kyle Jones
7. 6x Rob Worman
8. 5x Alan Dunn
9. 5x Gilbert Collins
10. 5x Rachel Lindgren
11. 4x Dave Leffler ($100,102)
12. 4x Alex Schmidt (92,880)
13. 4x Mary Ann Borer (86,500)

There is zero expectation of a TOC this season at this time, so no offense to them personally, but I'm not going to bother with the 3x champs.

Let's say there is a September TOC to kick off the new season.
That still leaves time for (being conservative only one per month):
January 2019 qualifier
For argument's sake no qualifier in February with the All-Stars on for part of the month
March 2019 qualifier
April 2019 qualifier
May 2019 only the teacher above qualifies
June 2019 qualifier
July 2019 qualifier

Let's say only 2 of January, March, April, June & July do better than Mary Ann, keeping her in at #15. That would be fine by me.

Delay the TOC to November or have more than one champ in a month and the 4x champs start getting cut. It's simple reality as there are a lot of regular play games to go not to mention December is far from over.

Yes, there can be cold streaks with no one getting past three wins. More likely is Dave is looking at #15 at best with alternate or out all together the better wager. Mary Ann is going to need some kind of 4-week superchamp to keep her spot.

I'm sure the powers would like Rachel to not be the sole woman representative. One move that would probably not be too upsetting (other than to regular play 4x champs) is to reestablish the teen invite and get Claire in the field.

The best news would be to hear the TOC will piggyback the Teachers Tournament in May.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Another good game from all three players, congrats to Staci for closing it out at the end. Tough break for Nick falling out of the lead on the last clue with the wrong guess.

Had Final down to Aida and Antony/Cleopatra, mentioning Ethiopia led me the right way. Fairly sure a younger me lost a similar coin flip in Seth Wilson's 4th game, so Dave's wrong guess didn't seem all that bad.

I think Dave is a borderline gold tier player if he makes it to the next ToC but I'm afraid that will be really tight, especially with one more auto qualifier coming in May and likely 11 more months to wait (ETA: But I hope MB is right for something sooner, having the ToC in May would be awesome). Seeing three very talented recent 4-day champs that I really liked (Alex, Mary Ann and now Dave) on the bubble really stings.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Anyone else run the Alex Trebek category?
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

Instaget FJ in my worst category. I've learned if I just remember Egypt = Aida and Japan = The Mikado, I'll get there quite often. When Egypt/Japan aren't mentioned, just sprinkle in random guesses of Carmen, Magic Flute, and Marriage of Figaro :lol:
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Precalled The Nutcracker, easy to get Aida from the clue. 5/5 for the week :D
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

harrumph wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:26 pm Anyone else run the Alex Trebek category?
Identify tonsils, with an unnecessary picture on the screen to boot. Carpal tunnel, from an easy clue. Identify the Achilles, with a picture, the name origin, and remembering the story from a few years ago (that was my precall). Identify 'fusion' from 'joining vertebrae together'. And subdural _______. Even without the Trebek angle, that's $6000 in free money imho.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:11 pm 1. College Dhruv
2. Teacher Larry
3. Teacher in May 2019
4. 7x Josh Hill
5. 7x Ryan Fenster
6. 7x Kyle Jones
7. 6x Rob Worman
8. 5x Alan Dunn
9. 5x Gilbert Collins
10. 5x Rachel Lindgren
11. 4x Dave Leffler ($100,102)
12. 4x Alex Schmidt (92,880)
13. 4x Mary Ann Borer (86,500)
14. 4x Kyle Becker (63,802)
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:11 pm The best news would be to hear the TOC will piggyback the Teachers Tournament in May.
I doubt that's happening: https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz#events
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:29 pm TIL Andre the Giant was a wrestler. I thought he was just a guy famous for being tall.

But yeah. Literature, Wrestling, and a category about recognizing people entirely by their faces? Not a TPH board at all.

I had a total brainlock and couldn't think of a single country beginning with E.

Any reason that I should know Carrie Bradshaw = cosmopolitan? That could've been anything.

Yes, I got "bluegrass".

Opera? Yeah, no way am I gonna get anything other than a goose egg. Can't say that I recognize the correct reponse.
do a search on andre the giant's neighbour who drove him to school...was a famous author...will be a 2nd thing you learned today
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

good to see that retired detective tossed....dude's voice is boring and he was slow AF
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:29 pm TIL Andre the Giant was a wrestler. I thought he was just a guy famous for being tall.

Yes, I got "bluegrass".

common trivia
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:33 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:29 am Nick did 8200+6000 on DD3 leaving 2200 on the table with 9 clues left. Nick trailed by 1400 going into the FJ! round. The other place where he could have had the lead for the FJ! round was clue 30. Nick negged $1600 taking himself out of the lead.
Saves me the trouble of griping about it. Yeesh. Crappy end to the week. Hopefully they won't take so long to hold the next TOC that it wipes out all the 4Xers like last time. I'd definitely like to see him again.

Instaget FJ. Thebes -> Egypt -> Aida, cya next week.
econgator wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:30 pm

Thanks to some articles about Sex and the City back in the day, I still have Manolo Blahnik rattling around in my head, which came in handy today. But what type of drink she liked? Ahahaha ^!@# no.
never heard of it
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance -- can you PLEASE cut down your posts if you're only replying to one line, and not make three one-line posts in a row that each quote the ENTIRETY of the post you're responding to? Cut and paste are your friends.