Monday, December 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, December 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

I don't get this one if the clue is name the capital of Ethiopia. But I'm not a J! wannabe and don't plan to memorize world capitals. I am impressed at how easy many boardies think this was. I get that you know your capitals, but the clue was written as if it was not a current capital, so your short list could be expanded by quite a bit. The Italian East Africa pre-war TOM was enough to wipe me out. Well done, boardies.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:11 pm I don't get this one if the clue is name the capital of Ethiopia. But I'm not a J! wannabe and don't plan to memorize world capitals. I am impressed at how easy many boardies think this was. I get that you know your capitals, but the clue was written as if it was not a current capital, so your short list could be expanded by quite a bit. The Italian East Africa pre-war TOM was enough to wipe me out. Well done, boardies.
I didn’t read it that way at all. If anything, my thinking was that it might not have been a capital in its colonial past but now is. Regardless, if one can name Mogadishu, Djibouti*, Addis Ababa and Nairobi as the likely candidate cities, only one fills the bill.

* Yes, I suspect that Djibouti as a name hasn’t been around that long, but I’m not Googling it
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Would "What is the greatest rock & roll band in the world?" have been accepted for Rolling Stones?
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:21 am And for you Pavlovians, beat + poet(ry) = Ginsberg. Every time. If you want to replace poet(ry) with novel(ist), your choices broaden to Burroughs or Kerouac (but NOT Ginsberg). Those three names constitute a complete list of Beat writers for Jeopardy! purposes. In fact, they constitute a complete list of the entire Beat Generation. And "Howl" (poem by Ginsberg), Naked Lunch (novel by Burroughs), and On the Road (novel by Kerouac) constitute an exhaustive list of their works.
Speaking of Burroughs, I've been waiting for some time for a carefully-worded clue about the origins of the band Steely Dan's name.
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:11 pm I don't get this one if the clue is name the capital of Ethiopia. But I'm not a J! wannabe and don't plan to memorize world capitals. I am impressed at how easy many boardies think this was. I get that you know your capitals, but the clue was written as if it was not a current capital, so your short list could be expanded by quite a bit. The Italian East Africa pre-war TOM was enough to wipe me out. Well done, boardies.
This really wasn't a very difficult clue. You're right that the clue implies that maybe it's not currently a capital, but Italy didn't have many holdings in Africa, particularly when you narrow it down to East Africa and then how many two word capitals are in that area? (And anyone who knows much about WWII - another familiar FJ category - you pretty much have to know a bit about the preceding decade with respect to the belligerents).

So yeah, they were maybe trying to trick the contestants a little but absent any other response, you go with the obvious one.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:41 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:21 am And for you Pavlovians, beat + poet(ry) = Ginsberg. Every time. If you want to replace poet(ry) with novel(ist), your choices broaden to Burroughs or Kerouac (but NOT Ginsberg). Those three names constitute a complete list of Beat writers for Jeopardy! purposes. In fact, they constitute a complete list of the entire Beat Generation. And "Howl" (poem by Ginsberg), Naked Lunch (novel by Burroughs), and On the Road (novel by Kerouac) constitute an exhaustive list of their works.
Speaking of Burroughs, I've been waiting for some time for a carefully-worded clue about the origins of the band Steely Dan's name.
I don't think you'll see it because of all the salacious associations no matter how well-worded the question.