Tuesday, December 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:53 pm Another Ecclesiastes here. Never would have come up with Psalms.
With most of the day to rethink the clue I can now see how I needed to red ink it all except for "harp" and make it elementary age Sunday school class for harp = David and Bible book = Psalms. Word origin stuff too often psychs me out and has me overthinking. Knowing the names of all 39 OT books did not help and I need to learn to narrow it for the FJ! round with the more common ones that might appear.

Yet then I look at the Archive and see Ecclesiastes has been a correct response.

Missed the first apostle one last month and now today's. I'm getting the next one right or I am going to downgrade the category on my favorability meter.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:11 pm
econgator wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:53 pm Another Ecclesiastes here. Never would have come up with Psalms.

Missed the first apostle one last month and now today's. I'm getting the next one right or I am going to downgrade the category on my favorability meter.
i have got quite a few bible clues lately and will never raise it on my favourability meter...ranks dead last, tied with opera
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:11 pm harp = David
Um, what? My first Pavlov is that slingshot = David. My second one is that 200 Philistine foreskins = David.
Spoiler
1 Samuel 18:27: "David took his men with him and went out and killed two hundred Philistines and brought back their foreskins. They counted out the full number to the king so that David might become the king's son-in-law. Then Saul gave him his daughter Michal in marriage.
That isn't the kind of badass that I think harpy thoughts about :lol: .

I thought this was an easy peasy clue, but I didn't get in my own way for once. After the Pentateuch, most of the books have names of people except for Proverbs and Psalms right in the middle. I pondered if "ps" words were Greek-y and played the KISS rule.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:23 pm
Um, what? My first Pavlov is that slingshot = David. My second one is that 200 Philistine foreskins = David.
Spoiler
1 Samuel 18:27: "David took his men with him and went out and killed two hundred Philistines and brought back their foreskins. They counted out the full number to the king so that David might become the king's son-in-law. Then Saul gave him his daughter Michal in marriage.
That isn't the kind of badass that I think harpy thoughts about :lol: .

I thought this was an easy peasy clue, but I didn't get in my own way for once. After the Pentateuch, most of the books have names of people except for Proverbs and Psalms right in the middle. I pondered if "ps" words were Greek-y and played the KISS rule.
Yes, not a hard clue and well done to keep it simple.

For harp to David:

#3142, aired 1998-04-07 BIBLICAL WRATH & MADNESS $2,500 (Daily Double): David plays the harp to calm this tormented king in the Rembrandt painting seen here:
#3048, aired 1997-11-26 THE BIBLE $800: This future king of Israel was summoned to soothe King Saul with his harp playing
#766, aired 1987-12-28 THE BIBLE $400: While David was playing the harp for this king, the king got angry & threw a javelin at him

For my FJ! category meter I lifted this from Dreamstime that illustrates what I have in mind:

I do understand why some have the category all the way to the right in the dark red. For me I'm thinking I may need to recalibrate to yellow.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I just had no idea how to "attack" this one. "Song sung to a harp" had me think Song of Solomon at first, but I didn't think they'd go Stupid Answers on an FJ! Tried Lamentations but it didn't seem right. The Pentateuch was obviously out. I sped through all the OT books I could name, but nothing at all seemed to fit. Even if I had made the harp -> David connection, that would've left me high and dry since Psalms is far from the only book associated with him, and "Psalms" seemed too short a word to be derived from a phrase.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

FJ was a WECIB for me.

Francesco overbet. I think his optimum would have been 9000, and take his chances with a possible tie-breaker or win on a TS, if John bets everything.
I would have liked to see him go with 2000 for shortegy though.

When Alex said that Francesco collects something odd, I thought it was going to be mouse traps.
davey

Post by davey »

I thought it was common knowledge that the Psalms were songs, to be accompanied by harp. I guess that's common Sunday School knowledge...though I think we once discussed it in a Bible as Literature class too...I never considered another response...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:24 pm
Leander wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:11 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:50 pm
NHO garbanzo beans, swiss chard, bearnaise sauce, or tarragon either. HOW do you know all this ultra-fancy food?!
I’d be willing to bet that canned garbanzo or chickpeas are sold in every supermarket in the U.S., and Swiss Chard in most of them.
I've heard of chickpeas, but never knew that they had another name.
I have a feeling this is going to be a Baader-Meinhof for you.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I thought I got this from Xena, but the episode with David only references psalms, not a harp or lyre. No idea where I forged the the harp = David link now...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

NHO garbanzo beans, swiss chard, bearnaise sauce, or tarragon either. HOW do you know all this ultra-fancy food?!
I’d be willing to bet that canned garbanzo or chickpeas are sold in every supermarket in the U.S., and Swiss Chard in most of them.
Hummus a sad tune and we'll try to follow along.

A while back I made a Mexican casserole with leftover Thanksgiving turkey. I decided garbonzo beans were not sufficiently Mexican and didn't use them. I kept the kidney beans but may go with pinto or black beans next time.
OCSam
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Spoiler
You'll never guess what her wedding ring was made of.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

davey wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:58 pm I thought it was common knowledge that the Psalms were songs, to be accompanied by harp. I guess that's common Sunday School knowledge...though I think we once discussed it in a Bible as Literature class too...I never considered another response...
i thought so too seeing i got it right and don't know crap about bible for the most part...back of my mind psalms related to songs
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Spoiler
Goliath was a one-time thing, no matter how spectacular.

After that the traditional images of David are as part of the court of King Saul, and of course later as king himself. In both roles he spent a great deal of time playing his harp and creating songs/psalms. The OT tells us that his music was very soothing to Saul, and relieved his headaches.

David is considered the author of the majority of the 150 psalms.

Yeah, having been to Sunday School would help on this clue. I myself started to write Ecclesiastes (partly because of what others have noted here: how can that title be contained in such a small word as psalms?). But I remembered David and his harp and got this one.

What I don't get is how there are two (TWO!!!) clues left on the board in the first round, and the DD has not been revealed yet, so one of them must be it, and Nicole picks the top-row clue which 99.9% certain CANNOT be the DD. She gift-wrapped that one for the other contestants. Sheesh. She's lucky that one did not cost her the game.

LT: buffoon, Nast, (cap-)Stan. Of course on that last one it helps to "be of a certain age," old enough to remember reel-to-reel tape recorders with capstan drive.

My laugh of the game was the chickpea clue. I can't hear the word "garbanzo" without recalling the days (80s, IIRC) when Skip Bayless was writing a regular column in one of the Dallas newspapers under the pseudonym Joe Bob Briggs, in which "garbanzos" had an entirely different meaning. Yeah, those were the days.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

OrangeSAM wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:12 am
Hummus a sad tune and we'll try to follow along.
AAAARRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!! Where's the emoji for OMG WHAT AN AWFUL PUN!?!?

Seriously, well done. :D
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

John Boy wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:21 am ...I can't hear the word "garbanzo" without recalling the days (80s, IIRC) when Skip Bayless was writing a regular column in one of the Dallas newspapers under the pseudonym Joe Bob Briggs, in which "garbanzos" had an entirely different meaning. Yeah, those were the days.
Are you sure about this? For many decades, Joe Bob Briggs has been the pseudonym of John Bloom. I can't imagine that another writer would use that moniker.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

51 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Tournament, Buffoon, Portmanteau, Tarragon, Thomas Nast, (China), Leo Tolstoy, (H. P. Lovecraft), Ralph Ellison

Missed the bottom two in Government Job, Swiss Chard, Sales Tax, Capstan, Internal Medicine, and Diffused.

Would have definitely got the remaining two in Born in 1818.
Douglas Squasoni
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I missed FJ. Psalms is one of those that seems simple and straightforward in retrospect. But it is what it is.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Instaget, spent 29 seconds thinking "It can't be that easy, can it?" :geek:
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Ugh. That no one got the Hadji Murad clue was disappointing--my Ph.D. dissertation focuses on popular religiosity and religious dissent in late imperial Russia, and Tolstoy is a significant part of that.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

38 right.

Lach Trash: Thomas Nast, Leo Tolstoy

I talked myself out of saying Psalms, thinking it was too obvious, and went with Lamentations.