Friday, December 14, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, December 14, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:21 am
And not to worry, twelvefootboy, her history is quite well known.
She obviously isn't embarrassed for hanging out with Tony Robbins, so bully for her! I was already impressed with her before knowing she was a C-list celeb.

I may need to redact my compliment for her legal prowess - wasn't "corpus delecti" a TS? I knew it, again by osmosis from somewhere. Maybe that is the division of law that TPH doesn't get - Criminal law, Civil law, and Jude law.

Looking forward to watching Jackie's next 15 minutes of fame.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Another one-time champ bites the dust.

Nice, straightforward game: ran the category in "Jack," 3-for-3 DDs, LT for upset, anointing, Suriname, (corpus) delecti, and Jack the Dripper, plus fond memories of the fence-painting episode in Tom Sawyer.

FJ category is not a particularly strong one for me, but I saw something on TV about the closing of Toys R Us literally the day before this game aired, so it was fresh in mind.

Congrats to Jackie for a nice win!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

44 R
DD: 2/3 (Said Alimony instead of Palimony)
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Upset, Temperature, Madison Square Garden, The Pearl, Suriname, Jeb Stuart, (The Adventures of Tom Sawyer), Jack the Dripper

0/5 in Law

0/2 in Celebrities

My other misses were Anointment, 2:20 or 2:40 or whatever that clue was, and San Jose.
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:55 am
alietr wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:21 am
And not to worry, twelvefootboy, her history is quite well known.
She obviously isn't embarrassed for hanging out with Tony Robbins, so bully for her!
I'm hoping it was this guy :)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:55 am I may need to redact my compliment for her legal prowess - wasn't "corpus delecti" a TS?
I seem to have my pedantic hat on today--it's "delicti" (though the closed caption also said "delecti".

I recently served on a jury that resulted in a rare situation. The defense attorney told us during voir dire that the defendant had confessed to the crime. After the trial started we heard a few hours of evidence before court was adjourned for the day. The next morning, we were expecting to be called in to hear more evidence; instead, after waiting half an hour, we were called in to say that the trial would be in recess for an indeterminate period. Two months later, we were called back to hear "the rest of the story". In Missouri, a confession is not admissible without corroborating evidence that a crime had been committed (the corpus delicti, which does not have to be a literal body). The judge, in the absence of a corpus delicti, was about to dismiss the case when the prosecution asked to have a higher court weigh in on whether this was the appropriate decision (apparently, the higher court concurred since the case was dismissed). No one could recall anything like this happening in decades and the people in the circuit clerk's office are still talking about it. Anyway, I now know more about the term "corpus delicti" than I had ever expected to.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:20 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:55 am I may need to redact my compliment for her legal prowess - wasn't "corpus delecti" a TS?
I seem to have my pedantic hat on today--it's "delicti" (though the closed caption also said "delecti".

I recently served on a jury that resulted in a rare situation. The defense attorney told us during voir dire that the defendant had confessed to the crime. After the trial started we heard a few hours of evidence before court was adjourned for the day. The next morning, we were expecting to be called in to hear more evidence; instead, after waiting half an hour, we were called in to say that the trial would be in recess for an indeterminate period. Two months later, we were called back to hear "the rest of the story". In Missouri, a confession is not admissible without corroborating evidence that a crime had been committed (the corpus delicti, which does not have to be a literal body). The judge, in the absence of a corpus delicti, was about to dismiss the case when the prosecution asked to have a higher court weigh in on whether this was the appropriate decision (apparently, the higher court concurred since the case was dismissed). No one could recall anything like this happening in decades and the people in the circuit clerk's office are still talking about it. Anyway, I now know more about the term "corpus delicti" than I had ever expected to.
Thanks for the improvement to my Latin, and as a fellow Missourian, I am appalled that all I need to do is buy enough HF and lye to get away with murder one. I've always thought the American infatuation with corpses is ridiculous and anachronistic. We should not spend political or even monetary capital on North Korean bone fragments, sunken airplanes, etc.. And to think that injustice will often be served if you are clever enough - disgusting!

That being said, it is true that nutjobs often confess to homicides that are figments of their malfunctioning brain.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:20 pm
It sure did. I would've spelled it that way without bothering to look it up had I been a closed captioner. And both the correct and incorrect spellings are flagged with a wavy red line, so no help there. I wonder if I'll remember this or if my mind will have reverted to delecti the next time the term comes up.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:49 pm My other misses were Anointment,
I forgot about that one! I said "anointing" which I assume would be acceptable since it's equally a synonym for "inunction". "Anointment" sounds like a made up word to me, but it's in the dictionary.