FJs for the 12/10/18 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! did you solve correctly for the 12/10/18 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:49 pm

From 1936 to 1941 this city was the capital of Italian East Africa
86%
The title of this Old Testament book is from the Greek for "song sung to a harp"
68%
One of the twin planets this alien race called home was Remus
80%
In the preface to a book of his stories, he thanks a herpetologist of Upper India & an elephant named Bahadur Shah
91%
After it stopped U.S. operations in 2018, its website said, “Promise us just this one thing: Don’t ever grow up”
95%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
46%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
THERE IS A SANTA CLAUS $800: There is a town of Santa Claus in this Midwest state that postmarks about half a million holiday cards each year
59%
HODGEPODGE $2000: This is a blank page at the beginning or end of a book, not a spot for bugs to gather on a plant
22%
"FIGHT" CLUB $400: This term for a boxing match refers to the cash to be won
64%
Ecclesiastes was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
11%
Vulcans were my incorrect guess for the Wednesday clue.
9%
Klingons were my incorrect guess for the Wednesday clue.
3%
[Inspired by a CasketRomance post] I like "one and done" with a new winner each day.
5%
I have submitted an entry for the All-Stars Fantasy League Sweepstakes.
20%
I have not submitted an entry for the All-Stars Fantasy League Sweepstakes.
75%

Total votes: 107

clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 12/10/18 week

Post by clprez »

Wow, over half of the people that took the poll got 5 out of 5!

If only I knew more about Africa. When I was in school, most of the countries had different names, and I can't keep them all straight.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

2/5. Missed Wednesday's, and guessed Vulcans on it. Vulcans and Klingons were the only two I came to mind, and I had to go with one or the other. Romulans I haven't heard of so I had no chance there.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

cthulhu wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:56 pm
Fairly
Ridiculously easy FJ week.
FTFY.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sincerely,

Mr. Blind Squirrel

And no, still didn't get "prize" as I was stuck on "purse."

I still have no clue what the new all-star thingy will look like, so no opinion.

And my preference on the other thing is for me to win a modest streak (3 or 4 would be fine; no need to get greedy). Everyone else is free to divide the remaining games however they please.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:( :( :mrgreen:

I'm with the 50% of boardies who checked the box of glory. I wonder what the highest perecentage is for that box in a regular game week. Only one poor boardie, who chose to remain anonymous, checked the box of shame. It wasn't the usual suspect. He self-reports avoiding that fate by getting Friday's FJ.

Had no clue on the town of Santa Claus. Needed another second or two to get to flyleaf. Prize fight came to mind instantly. I wonder how many of the 36% who missed that one got stuck on the word "purse" and couldn't or didn't think further.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Despite the shared glory on the board, I missed two of the FJs last week.

I missed psalms (stupidly said Ecclesiastes) but I was really at a loss on the "don't ever grow up" quote. Toys R Us didn't go out of business in Canada, and is still going strong for some reason - so maybe that is why I missed it. I floundered looking for something to do with Peter Pan, and didn't really have an answer at the end.

Congrats to those who got 'em all!
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:04 pm Prize fight came to mind instantly. I wonder how many of the 36% who missed that one got stuck on the word "purse" and couldn't or didn't think further.
It seems from the self-reporting that it was quite a few. It's confusingly phrased. I know that only prizefight fit the category, but if the clue in a boxing category was

This term refers to the cash to be won at a boxing match

I think few people would say prize, a much more generic term than purse.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:04 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

I'm with the 50% of boardies who checked the box of glory. I wonder what the highest perecentage is for that box in a regular game week. Only one poor boardie, who chose to remain anonymous, checked the box of shame. It wasn't the usual suspect. He self-reports avoiding that fate by getting Friday's FJ.

Had no clue on the town of Santa Claus. Needed another second or two to get to flyleaf. Prize fight came to mind instantly. I wonder how many of the 36% who missed that one got stuck on the word "purse" and couldn't or didn't think further.
there was a question in one of the pub trivia games i edited last week involving the town of santa claus...it asked the players to name 2 of the 3 in usa...i knew the indiana town, but didn't know there was also a santa claus, georgia or a santa claus, arizona
Last edited by CasketRomance on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

M-W-F were instagets. Tu-Th were WECIB.

Spent part of my childhood north of Lafayette, Indiana but had not previously heard of Santa Claus, Indiana, which I see now is in the south near the Kentucky border.

Submitted an entry.
I would prefer not to.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bartleby wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:11 am Spent part of my childhood north of Lafayette, Indiana but had not previously heard of Santa Claus, Indiana, which I see now is in the south near the Kentucky border.

Submitted an entry.
One of my coworkers used to live on the Kentucky side of the IN/KY border. She was a stone's throw away from Corydon, so she was familiar with this:

Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Vulcans on Wednesday
Don’t like one and done
Haven’t yet submitted an entry
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:mrgreen: :( :(

Not sure why I knew Santa Claus, IN--just popped out.

I don't particularly like or dislike one-and-dones. I like competitive games in which all of the clues are played.

I have not submitted an entry for the All Star thingamabob.

314235325(2/2,3/3TT)33(1/2TT,2/3)255, 46-24