Wednesday, December 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

There was no thought process to missing FJ. I knew they wanted a Welsh poet. Then I noticed it was a recent one. Then I cursed the whole discipline of poetry as being anachronistic and useless. It shouldn't be possible to be famous for writing crap that doesn't even rhyme anymore. It's all Fake news!

Jackie is not dominating any games, but has hit categories and opponents that line up for her. What's with Alex throwing shade at her betting in the intro? Or the boardies for that matter because she is maxing out her payday in FJ. I do see, however how this 4th game calls for maximizing the chance for a win (to cross the TOS threshold) but if 2nd bets correctly, she loses on a TS anyway.

I always overlook that extra quadratic solution, but I see no need to dance around it in the clue. The tiny bit of algebra we use in real life involves positive roots. I'm not measuring out any negative carpet or tile.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:17 pm There was no thought process to missing FJ. I knew they wanted a Welsh poet. Then I noticed it was a recent one. Then I cursed the whole discipline of poetry as being anachronistic and useless. It shouldn't be possible to be famous for writing crap that doesn't even rhyme anymore. It's all Fake news!
Dylan Thomas wrote what must be the most famous villanelle, which is a very constrained and, yes, rhyming form.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:22 pm
I'm curious what made that FJ solvable with the category and street name only - unless one has studied Welsh (which is how I recognized the language). I was feeling pretty clever but a little less so now. :)
Ya doesn't need to have studied Welsh to be able to recognize a word or two when you see it. This FJ is likely to poll quite high, while a question about "how many boardies have studied Welsh?" would almost certainly poll quite low/close to zero.

Another good game for the champ. I agree that she's not exactly blasting through the opposition like some of the juggernauts we've see from time to time. But as we see, oftentimes "just enough to win" is plenty. And you can't really argue with 4 wins and $87K. I'd take that in a heartbeat, and many congrats to her for accomplishing it.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

For me, cwm is quite a memorable Welsh word because it is often cited as the lone "English" word lacking a vowel (steadfastly ignoring the role of w in Welsh). It means a small valley IIRC.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Woof wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:47 am For me, cwm is quite a memorable Welsh word because it is often cited as the lone "English" word lacking a vowel (steadfastly ignoring the role of w in Welsh). It means a small valley IIRC.
(And ignoring that Welsh isn't English; if it was, it'd be called, well, English.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

And I thought the universe of possible responses was small on Monday...Famous Welsh poets??!... (Apologies to W.H. Davies or Hedd Wyn fans...)...:roll:
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

Jackie got lucky on Tuesday when Conor did not bet enough on the final DD to take the lead going into Final J! She got lucky again on Wednesday. Trisha was only $1000 behind her with one category left on the Board. A correct answer on one of the higher value clues by Trisha in the Tony/Superhero category could have given her the lead going into Final J! But Eric finally found his sweet spot and nearly ran the category, effectively blocking Trisha.

We watched this game with Jackie at O'Briens in Santa Monica before the weekly pub quiz. She clearly enjoyed all the support and love. You have to admire her game play. She has had the focus, poise and patience to come from behind in every game (from what I remember). And she is 4 for 4 in Final J!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

53 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Hamburg, Lipton, Harvard, Casserole and Hyperbole, Make the Most of It, (Bargain Bin), Plus Fours, Chains, (Lake Okeechobee)

Only missed the Bottom Two in "IN", Neil Patrick Harris, Alan Cumming, and Andrew Garfield.
Douglas Squasoni
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Woof wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:47 am For me, cwm is quite a memorable Welsh word because it is often cited as the lone "English" word lacking a vowel (steadfastly ignoring the role of w in Welsh). It means a small valley IIRC.
It is a valid Scrabble word so keep in mind if you play.
OCSam
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

My Welsh is limited to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. (No, I can't pronounce it.)

Add me to the "Really? Dylan Thomas was born that late? I did not know that." crowd.

I stopped in at a tourist information booth in Aberystwyth, Wales once. The woman gave me a map of the area, and I commented, "That's the first free thing I've gotten in England." She responded in an indignant manner "You're not in England!"

Alex seemed kind of on the mean side today. Plus I couldn't believe he didn't know the shrug thing.

Go Jackie!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I know Cwm from the hymn Cwm Rhondda, better known by its lyrics "God of Grace and God of Glory" and "Come Thou O Thou Great Jehovah." I knew that its title refers to the Rhondda valley in Wales.

And of course I said 4 or -4.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

alietr wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:37 pm I stopped in at a tourist information booth in Aberystwyth, Wales once. The woman gave me a map of the area, and I commented, "That's the first free thing I've gotten in England." She responded in an indignant manner "You're not in England!
Do you remember that "Here's Lucy" episode featuring Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor? Lucy somehow refers to him as English, and he replies angrily in Welsh. He then tells her what he said was Welsh for "bite your tongue" but acknowledges that the phrase loses something in translation. I've always wondered what exactly his words meant but maybe I'm better off not knowing.

On my job, I often ask people where they're from, as sort of a fake friendly, interested-in-them thing. I'm amused when they say "North Wales", as if I were going to distinguish between North and South. Apparently they do, though, at least those in the North. If they're from the South, they'll say simply "Wales", or "the UK". If you look at a map of Wales, you will notice weirder-looking place names in the North. Swansea, btw, from which Thomas hailed, is way south.

"Crwth" is another nice Welsh word; a Celtic sort of fiddle. But I've always considered W a vowel, even in English, if we're being black and white about it.
I'm smart and I want respect.