Tuesday, January 24, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6297, 2012-01-24

CONTESTANTS
Elizabeth Edwards, a graduate student in museum studies from Hendersonville, Tennessee
Sean O'Connor, an attorney originally from St. Louis, Missouri
Kirby Burnett, a poker dealer from Prior Lake, Minnesota (whose 1-day cash winnings total $27,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hey, folks, Kirby was the man yesterday. He knows how to get the week off to a good start. A lot of cash for him. Sean and Elizabeth would like to take home an equal amount today. Let's see what happens. Good luck. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round. First round of play today with the one Daily Double has...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CANADIAN POSTAL ABBREVIATIONS (5/5)
MUSIC ALPHABET (3/5)
TV REALITY SHOWS BY WINNER (3/3)
NEW AGE THINKING (5/5)
LET'S TAKE A "TRIP" (5/5)
YOU'LL NEED INSURANCE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kirby: 16 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Elizabeth: 5 R, 0 W
Sean: 4 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kirby: $5,400
Elizabeth: $2,000
Sean: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Elizabeth Edwards is a graduate student in museum studies from Tennessee who has done something that makes me very envious, and that is in relation to the Smithsonian. Tell me what you did.

Elizabeth: I've actually been in the back room of the storage room of the Smithsonian in several departments.

Alex: What's the most impressive thing that you saw backstage, if you will?

Elizabeth: My favorite thing was actually Klinger's pink coat that he wore during M*A*S*H. We were kind of in the, uh, pop culture area, so I knew it immediately, and nobody else in my group knew what it was.

[Laughs]

Alex: Okay, there might be a reason for that.

Alex: Sean O'Connor is a young attorney from Missouri, whose mustache, I understand, is Jeopardy!-inspired?

Sean: Um, yeah. Um, I figured somebody's gotta have one, so I...

Alex: I haven't had mine in a long, long time.

Sean: No, you haven't.

Alex: About ten years. Do you get a lot of comments about it?

Sean: Uh, I do, both good and semi-good.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Kirby Burnett, poker dealer from Minnesota. You, uh, were doing really well in that New Age thinking category a few moments ago, and I understand that one of the reasons, probably, is because you went to a self-realization fellowship headquarters, uh, for a visit. So you're into that stuff.

Kirby: Yes.

Alex: And you met somebody famous there that you didn't recognize at the time.

Kirby: Yes, uh, this, uh, polite, uh, middle-aged gentleman, uh, British accent, came up and asked me for directions, and I gave him the directions. He said, "Thank you." And I... I know that guy. Dudley Moore? And then a friend of mine came up and said, "That's George Harrison!"

[Laughter]

Alex: Yeah. I'm beginning to have my doubts now about you, but you have command of the board, so you get to pick our next clue. Go for it.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kirby found the Daily Double on the 26th clue. Kirby had $8,400, Sean had $1,200, and Elizabeth was at $2,800. Kirby wagered $3,400.

YOU'LL NEED INSURANCE $800: A film noir classic, or a clause providing for payment of twice the face value of a policy

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MUSIC ALPHABET $200: "A" is for a capella, from the Italian for "in" this place

MUSIC ALPHABET $400: "B" is for bis, sometimes used to ask musicians for this
(Alex: For [*]. Play it again, Sam.)

YOU'LL NEED INSURANCE $1000: Franz Kafka's day job was as a bureaucrat administering this type of compensation, like for accidents

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kirby: $11,800
Elizabeth: $3,400
Sean: $1,200

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
INSIDE THE BRAIN OF MEGAN FOX (4/5)
JACK BE HOMONYM-BLE (5/5)
THE OLD BALL GAME (5/5)
ASIAN HISTORY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PLAY DATES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
NAME'S THE SAME (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kirby: 14 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Sean: 9 R, 3 W
Elizabeth: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kirby snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Kirby had $13,000, Sean had $2,400, and Elizabeth was at $3,400. Kirby wagered $5,000.

ASIAN HISTORY $1600: 1946's Linggarjati Agreement gave grudging Dutch recognition to the autonomy of this island country

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kirby who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Kirby had $24,800, Sean had $8,000, and Elizabeth was at $3,800. Kirby wagered $6,000.

PLAY DATES $1600: In 1955 impatient Dodger fans got a title & the theater got this Tennessee Williams play about an impatient woman
(Kirby: What is...)
(Alex: Say something.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NAME'S THE SAME $2000: This composer with a presidential name wrote the Pulitzer Prize-winning "On the Transmigration of Souls" to commemorate 9/11

INSIDE THE BRAIN OF MEGAN FOX $800: A 2010 paper shows Megan's amygdala maintains her "loss aversion" when faced with decisions about risking this
(Sean: Her life? What is her life?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kirby: $27,200 (lock game)
Sean: $6,800
Elizabeth: $5,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ISLANDS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Kirby: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $13,599 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Sean: Wager $4,801 to cover Elizabeth.
Elizabeth: Risk between $1,001 and $3,800, covering Sean's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Carabelli & Durazzo families are considered the Hatfields & McCoys of this island

FINAL SCORES
Elizabeth: $5,800 - $5,000 = $800 (What is Sicily?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Sean: $6,800 - $6,800 = $0 (What is Sicily) (3rd place: $1,000)
Kirby: $27,200 + $3,000 = $30,200 (What is Corsica?) (2-day champion: $57,800)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kirby: $27,200, 30 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Sean: $6,800, 13 R, 3 W
Elizabeth: $5,800, 9 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $39,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Kirby: 31/61 = .508
Sean: 13/58 = .224
Elizabeth: 9/58 = .155
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
NEW AGE THINKING $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows on the monitor a diagram of a person in lotus position with seven colored dots along its vertical midline.) Referring to its inner vision, the sixth chakra at the center of the forehead is also known by this other ordinal name

NEW AGE THINKING $1000: Seen here is an example of one of these graphic mystical meditation aids whose name is from the Sanskrit for circle
[Applause for Kirby's run of the category]
(Alex: And you ran the category, and as a result, you have a $3,000 total.)

LET'S TAKE A "TRIP" $600: Often used for devotional purposes, it's the type of artwork seen here

TV REALITY SHOWS BY WINNER $400: In 2010:
Bret Michaels, who wasn't fired but hired
(Kirby: What is The Apprentice?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Kirby: Uh...)
(Alex: No.)

YOU'LL NEED INSURANCE $400: Medical liability insurance is better known as this type of insurance
(Kirby: What is, uh, health insurance?)

TV REALITY SHOWS BY WINNER $600: In 2009:
Chicken catcher Kevin Skinner, who wowed judges including David Hasselhoff with his singing
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

THE OLD BALL GAME $400: In rounders, the ancestor of baseball, a runner was put out not by tagging but by doing this with the ball--ouch!
(Sean: Throwing it at the player? Hit--[*]? What is [*]?)
(Alex: It's like dodgeball.)

THE OLD BALL GAME $1200: The goal seen here was used in an ancient Mayan ballgame at Uxmal, on this peninsula

NAME'S THE SAME $800: The actress seen here goes by this royal name

NAME'S THE SAME $1600: This creator of the "Garfield" comic strip shares his name with the actor who played Jock Ewing on "Dallas"
(Elizabeth: Who is Jon Davis?)

JACK BE HOMONYM-BLE $1200: It means to strike with a very quick blow / Or to rock the mic like Eminem, yo
(Sean: Jab? What is jab?)

JACK BE HOMONYM-BLE $1600: A piece of wood, or to furnish with meals & lodging for pay
(Alex: Good. With a minute to go.)

INSIDE THE BRAIN OF MEGAN FOX $2000: Megan's higher functions use her cerebral this; when she "hears" a song in her head, she's using her brain's auditory this
(Sean: What is auditory lobe?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Double Indemnity
the chapel
an encore
workmen's compensation
Indonesia
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
John Adams
money
Corsica
the third eye
mandala
a triptych
Celebrity Apprentice
malpractice insurance
America's Got Talent
hitting the player
Yucatán
Jane Seymour
Jim Davis
rap
board
cortex

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:02 pm

Islands
The Carabelli & Durazzo families are considered the Hatfields & McCoys of this island.
SpoilerShow
What is Corsica? Elizabeth and Sean both said Sicily.
Kirby Burnett: $27,200+$3,000=$30,200
Sean O'Connor: $6,800-$6,800=$0
Elizabeth Edwards: $5,800-$5,000=$800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:55 pm

Very nice job by Kirby.

I joined the losers on FJ! Alex made it seem like there was some history that should have led to the right response- anyone want to fill the rest of us in? Wikipedia wasn't any help.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:28 pm

lisa0012 wrote:Very nice job by Kirby.

I joined the losers on FJ! Alex made it seem like there was some history that should have led to the right response- anyone want to fill the rest of us in? Wikipedia wasn't any help.
Stupid clue. Let's give you Italian sounding names and then have the correct response be a French island.

I, too, went with Sicily and have no clue what Alex was rambling on about.

On another topic, did anyone else know that there was a Tripoli in Lebanon? I sure didn't. :)

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:31 pm

No, no obvious history at all, and more to the point, if the Final Jeopardy question was "Quick, name the treaty that ended the Great Northern War," it would have just as bad a question. FJs are not supposed to be written in such a manner.

Perhaps if one family name seemed Italian, and the other French, Corsica would make a great deal of sense, and you could reason it out based on Corsica's history of both French and Italian control (which is how you're suppose to solve these questions normally). But really there's nothing to point to Corsica vs Sardinia or Sicily. "Durazzo" is actively unhelpful, as the most famous Durazzo is a city in modern day Albania, on the other side of the peninsula.

So, no, you shouldn't feel bad if you guessed wrongly.
Last edited by Austin Powers on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:39 pm

While I am ranting, I wanted to point out another question, which seemed kinda stupid.

"Franz Kafka's day job was as a bureaucrat administering this type of compensation, like for accidents"

I am going to quibble and point out that Kafka worked for a year at another insurance company before his more "famous" job. My impression is that this first job was just doing whatever, and it didn't involve workman's comp in particular.

But I really hate the question because - why not just make Kafka the answer? You've only told the contestants that this type of insurance you are looking for involves accidents. Gosh, that really narrows it down! Second, having Kafka as an answer would have change things up a bit, as the rest of the category was very insurance-jargon heavy. Unless, of course, they seriously expected the contestants to know what specific kind of insurance that Kafka sold.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:41 pm

econgator wrote:

Stupid clue. Let's give you Italian sounding names and then have the correct response be a French island.

On another topic, did anyone else know that there was a Tripoli in Lebanon? I sure didn't. :)
You actually have, in a sense - it's what was formed from the more famous ancient cities of Tyre and Sidon, plus some other one whose named escapes me. Hence "three cities."

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:48 pm

Let's see, we have less than a minute to go. I'm way behind, but can still break the champ's lock. One full category remains. What should I do?

Of course, I'll start at the top and be sure to slowly say the full name of a very wordy category name.

Same boat as the others on FJ, sailing to the wrong island. Feuding and Italian names seemed like it should be on the home of the Mafia, but I had a bad feeling that was a red herring.

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:48 pm

Austin Powers wrote:

No, no obvious history at all, and more to the point, if the Final Jeopardy question was "Quick, name the treaty that ended the Great Northern War," it would have just as bad a question. FJs are not supposed to be written in such a manner.

Perhaps if one family name seemed Italian, and the other French, Corsica would make a great deal of sense, and you could reason it out based on Corsica's history of both French and Italian control (which is how you're suppose to solve these questions normally). But really there's nothing to point to Corsica vs Sardinia or Sicily. "Durazzo" is actively unhelpful, as the most famous Durazzo is a city in modern day Albany, on the other side of the peninsula.

So, no, you shouldn't feel bad if you guessed wrongly.
Thanks AP, I feel better :) All Durazzo did for me was make me wonder if it means "peach" in Italian, because in Spanish a peach is a durazno.

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:50 pm

econgator wrote:

Amen on FJ. My two options were Sicily and Sardinia (went with the former)...Corsica never even entered my mind. (Well, maybe for a second, only to be tossed aside quickly.)

My response on the Tripoli clue: "What is Tripoli...is so wrong, because...oh, that's right? Wow. Didn't know that."

I usually have a high tolerance for cutesy category concepts, but what was the point of connecting Megan Fox to that brain category, honestly? (My snarky thought after "Inside The Brain of Megan Fox" came up: "What brain?" :D)

I could practically hear the cheers of boardies when Reality TV didn't get finished in the J! round. (I had swept the category so far, so bah humbug. :) )

Kirby really impressed me today, and showed a nice breadth of knowledge. After keeping up very well yesterday with two tough opponents, and maintaining a lock almost the entire game today (plus making some meaty DD wagers), I think he's definitely not a one-and-done (or in this case now, two-and-done) type player. His lethargic clue selection still bugs me, though.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:58 pm

barandall800 wrote:
My response on the Tripoli clue: "What is Tripoli...is so wrong, because...oh, that's right? Wow. Didn't know that."
My reaction...Tripoli, no that's in Libya, better not click the pen. Oh, so Lebanon has one, too.
I usually have a high tolerance for cutesy category concepts, but what was the point of connecting Megan Fox to that brain category, honestly? (My snarky thought after "Inside The Brain of Megan Fox" came up: "What brain?" :D)
You just answered your own question.
I could practically hear the cheers of boardies when Reality TV didn't get finished in the J! round. (I had swept the category so far, so bah humbug. :) )
I didn't mind it, and was also 3-0 on that one. but they were pretty simple
Kirby really impressed me today, and showed a nice breadth of knowledge. After keeping up very well yesterday with two tough opponents, and maintaining a lock almost the entire game today (plus making some meaty DD wagers), I think he's definitely not a one-and-done (or in this case now, two-and-done) type player. His lethargic clue selection still bugs me, though.
He is a bit slow, but that doesn't bother me if they are a good player.

CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:59 pm

I'm going to say that the FJ will be one of the lowest scoring FJ's of the year, and that a large majority of JBoarders went with Sicily. A truly terrible clue.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:00 pm

Austin Powers wrote:You actually have, in a sense - it's what was formed from the more famous ancient cities of Tyre and Sidon, plus some other one whose named escapes me. Hence "three cities."
Good point. I wasn't thinking of it in that way (and the 3rd city was Arados).

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:07 pm

econgator wrote:Stupid clue. Let's give you Italian sounding names and then have the correct response be a French island.
Alla dis.
I predict low, low get rate in the poll. (And almost all misses are Sicily.)

ETA that I didn't know I was copying Crunchy Taco almost verbatim, and I can't believe I didn't think of Johan Adams as John Adams in my Halloween TD Party! Jim Davis was never invited. But the first three all attended!
Last edited by Paucle on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:10 pm

14/28, 12/30.

Two more country music related clues today. Of course I got them. :D

5/5 in Postal abbreviations and Homonyms, but Bis kept me from sweeping the Music category.

And once again, my prosopagnosia strikes. I have no clue how anyone could ever tell Jane Seymour from any one of a billion other actresses. Megan Fox included.

Epic geographic fail for me. "Um... let's see, what're the islands near Italy? San Marino and ... Cyprus, I think? Eh, just pick one. San Marino it is." Only barely ever heard of Corsica.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:13 pm

I came here to lick my wounds after falling for the Sicily negbait, to ask if anyone else knew there was a Tripoli in Lebanon (I blurted out Tripoli before processing the Lebanon bit, so I was lucky), and to figure out WTF that brain category had to do with Megan Fox, but I see that I'm not alone. I feel better now...slightly.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:22 pm

By the by, anyone catch the awful edit at the end of the J! round?

"…And we get the board ready for Final Jeopardy!, and [splice] Sean's in third place, which means he gets to start Double Jeopardy!…"
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:28 pm

You can count me among those who guessed Sicily for FJ.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:36 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:14/28, 12/30.

Two more country music related clues today. Of course I got them. :D

5/5 in Postal abbreviations and Homonyms, but Bis kept me from sweeping the Music category.

And once again, my prosopagnosia strikes. I have no clue how anyone could ever tell Jane Seymour from any one of a billion other actresses. Megan Fox included.

Epic geographic fail for me. "Um... let's see, what're the islands near Italy? San Marino and ... Cyprus, I think? Eh, just pick one. San Marino it is." Only barely ever heard of Corsica.
I had no idea who that actress was but the wording in the answer led me to Mrs. Henry VIII, part 3.0.

San Marino is not an island.