Thursday, December 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, December 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7894, 2018-12-27

CONTESTANTS
Kathryn Kienholz, a retired CPA from Milltown, Wisconsin
Heath Herel, a ScrumMaster from Niantic, Connecticut
Jon Barber, an investment professional from San Francisco, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $19,999)

OPENING REMARKS
Hello, everyone, and welcome to our show. Gosh, I'm finding it hard to believe that we're less than a week away from the start of a new year. But you know what? Time flies by quickly when you're having fun, and that's what we're all about on "Jeopardy!". It applies to our young champion, Jon, here, who won $1 under $20,000 yesterday. Heath and Kathryn, you know what? It could happen to you also. Good luck to you. Here we go.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CONFUSING LYRICS (3/5)
AIRPORT CODES (5/5)
ALLITERATIVE PEOPLE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
STUCK ON EWE (5/5)
"GLASS" WORKS (5/5)
BOWL GAME SPONSORS (5/5) (Alex: Once-upon-a-time sponsors and current sponsors.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Heath: 13 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Kathryn: 9 R, 1 W
Jon: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Heath found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Jon had $1,000, Heath had $800, and Kathryn was at $200. Heath wagered $1,000.

ALLITERATIVE PEOPLE $1000: In 1778 he was made President of the Continental Congress; in 1789, he was made Chief Justice of the United States
(Alex: He's an alliterative person.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Heath: $5,000
Jon: $2,400
Kathryn: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Kathryn Kienholz is a retired CPA who met her husband in an interesting way. You answered an ad?

Kathryn: I did, at the university housing service when I was a student. I needed a place to live. He lived in a house with a bunch of other people that had moved out. I moved in, and less than a year later, we were married, and we continued to live there for another four years, 'cause it was cheap and we didn't have any money.

Alex: Oh, okay. Good.

[ laughter ]

Alex: Heath Herel, we introduced you as a ScrumMaster.

Heath: Yes, sir.

Alex: What are we talking about here? What sport?

Heath: Well, none. No sport. Actually, we work with software engineers. Soft--So Scrum is just a--It's a framework for doing complicated work.

Alex: Ohh.

Heath: So I coach and teach and help them do really amazing things.

Alex: Okay.

Heath: Yeah.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Jon Barber is our champion--young champion who had the hiccups once, and those are unpleasant if they last, and yours lasted how long?

Jon: I had the hiccups for an entire week. And I went to the doctor, and no one could do anything. I was getting desperate, and my grandmother told me to drink olive oil, so I drank a bunch of olive oil, and that solved the problem.

Alex: How much olive oil are we talking about?

Jon: Pretty good amount, like half a bottle.

Alex: Ooh, gosh.

[ laughter ]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CONFUSING LYRICS $400: "Don't touch me please, I cannot stand the way you tease", warns this Soft Cell song, then a few "touch me, baby"s

CONFUSING LYRICS $1000: This "boozy" Oasis tune has the line "slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Heath: $7,600
Kathryn: $4,600
Jon: $3,400
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, December 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ON THE HEAVENLY BODY (2/5)
AMERICAN LITERATURE NOBELISTS (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SEND LAWYERS, GUNS & MONEY (5/5)
NEWER WORDS (4/5)
ALMOST PRESIDENT (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
INTERNATIONAL ENTERTAINMENT? (2/4) (Alex: And finally, each response will contain a country in...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kathryn: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Heath: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jon: 5 R (including 1 DD), 4 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jon snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Jon had $3,800, Heath had $9,600, and Kathryn was at $4,600. Jon made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,800.

ALMOST PRESIDENT $1200: Because he held this job in 1973, Carl Albert would have been Pres. had Nixon resigned before a new veep was confirmed
(Alex: [*], next in line.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Heath who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 12th clue. Jon had $7,600, Heath had $10,400, and Kathryn was at $8,600. Heath wagered $2,000.

AMERICAN LITERATURE NOBELISTS $1600: This "colorful" Toni Morrison work follows a black girl's struggle to achieve white ideals of beauty
(Heath: I got nothing.)
(Alex: No idea?)
(Heath: No, it's escaping me.)
(Alex: It's called [*]. It's [*], so you're at $8,400. You're in second place. Go again.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NEWER WORDS $2000: Originally a Twitter joke, a "milkshake" this fowl describes a viral darling whose dark past quickly appears

AMERICAN LITERATURE NOBELISTS $1200: She penned "Fighting Angel," a biography of her father, Absalom Sydenstricker, a missionary in China

AMERICAN LITERATURE NOBELISTS $2000: The 2nd & 3rd books in Faulkner's trilogy about this family were published almost 2 decades after the first

ON THE HEAVENLY BODY $800: Caloris Montes, aka Heat's Mountains on this planet
(Jon: What is Venus?)
(Alex: No.)
(Alex: Gotta go closer to the sun for [*].)

ON THE HEAVENLY BODY $1200: An asteroid--Don Juan & Cupid

INTERNATIONAL ENTERTAINMENT? $1200: George Clooney tries to kill, then tries to save Prince Nasir in this 2005 film about oil & greed
(Jon: What is There Will Be Blood?)
(Kathryn: What is Three Kings?)
(Alex: What is [*]? Remember, each response contains a country. It's INTERNATIONAL ENTERTAINMENT?. Jon, we come back to you.)

INTERNATIONAL ENTERTAINMENT? $2000: Jessica Lange's first Best Actress nomination came for this film in which she portrayed a Hollywood legend
(Alex: And it was called [*] for [*] Farmer.)

ON THE HEAVENLY BODY $2000: A planetoid--Burney Crater, named for the little girl who named the planetoid

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kathryn: $13,000
Heath: $10,800
Jon: $6,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COASTLINES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Kathryn: Wager $8,601 to cover Heath.
Heath: You have to wager $2,801 to cover Jon's doubled score, but certainly no more than $3,999, so as to force Jon to be right to have a chance at winning.
Jon: Think about risking $2,400 or less, thereby beating Kathryn on the Triple Stumper (should Kathryn wager to cover Heath's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
At 3,700 miles, the longest ocean trench is named for these 2 nations that share most of South America's Pacific coast

FINAL SCORES
Jon: $6,800 - $2,400 = $4,400 (What are Chile & Pe) (3rd place: $1,000)
Heath: $10,800 + $4,200 = $15,000 (What are Chile and Peru) (2nd place: $2,000)
Kathryn: $13,000 + $9,000 = $22,000 (What are Chile & Peru?) (New champion: $22,000)
(Alex: One of the countries is an easy get, the other one more difficult, I feel.)
(Alex, to Jon: You got [*], and it looks like you were going for [*]. You're wrong with your response because it's incomplete.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kathryn: $13,000, 16 R, 2 W
Heath: $12,800, 21 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jon: $4,200, 11 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $30,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Heath: 22/60 = .367
Kathryn: 17/58 = .293
Jon: 11/59 = .186
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ALLITERATIVE PEOPLE $800: He produced several hit movies in the 1930s and broke speed records, piloting airplanes of his own design

"GLASS" WORKS $1000: A type of lizard with no limbs is incorrectly called this
(Kathryn: What is a glass lizard?)

STUCK ON EWE $800: Here's Greek hero Jason seizing this prized item

NEWER WORDS $1600: This word used to describe the "seismic" influx of young British voters was Oxford Dictionaries' 2017 word of the year
(Jon: What is a birthquake?)

ALMOST PRESIDENT $2000: Had this New England senator and orator won the White House in 1836, we bet he would have given quite an inaugural

SEND LAWYERS, GUNS & MONEY $1200: There's a daily 2:00 gunfight reenactment at this historic site in Tombstone, Arizona
(Heath: What is Boot Hill?)

ALMOST PRESIDENT $800: This man's wife prevented him from resigning despite a stroke, leaving veep Thomas Marshall to only dream
(Jon: Who is Truman?)

INTERNATIONAL ENTERTAINMENT? $1600: Boston, not a Mideast country, was the setting for this series with Jill Hennessy as a crusading medical examiner
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
John Jay
"Tainted Love"
"Champagne Supernova"
Speaker of the House
The Bluest Eye
duck
Pearl Buck
the Snopes family
Mercury
Eros
Syriana
Frances
Pluto
Chile and Peru
Howard Hughes
glass snake
the Golden Fleece
youthquake
Daniel Webster
O.K. Corral
Woodrow Wilson
Crossing Jordan
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COASTLINES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
At 3,700 miles, the longest ocean trench is named for these 2 nations that share most of South America’s Pacific coast

Jon Barber: 6800-2400=4400
Heath Herel: 10800+4200=15000
Kathryn Kienholz: 13000+9000=22000 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Chile & Peru (Jon – Chile & Pe)

Daily Doubles
Heath: 800+1000
Jon: 3800+3800
Heath: 10400-2000

Coryats
Jon: 4200
Heath: 12800
Kathryn: 13000

Combined: 30,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jon: 3400
Heath: 7600
Kathryn: 4600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Heath won’t soon forget the Morrison title at DD3 since it cost him the match. Kathryn eked out the lead for the FJ! round to earn the nice pay day.

Not Jon’s game at all as even with a 3800 all-in he still badly trailed.

A FJ! clue wanting two parts in COASTLINES could easily cause me trouble. In today’s case I could handle it for the second day in a row of getting something with place names.

Hope no one pictured the Risk Board of only four countries and forgot all about the long country.

Jon Barber may have known he was in trouble early when ALLITERATIVE PEOPLE popped up and he was playing Heath Herel and Kathryn Kienholz.

Note: Reddit guy already has the game posted.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

All but $1,000 in Alliterative People and Glass.

Negged with "Wonderwall" for "Champagne Supernova" for 4/5 there. Frustrating miss since I know both songs, but the "-all" rhymes in the lyric tricked me into thinking that it had to be "Wonderwall".

Ran the Bowl Games category, though.

LGA = LaGuardia eluded me in the top box (brain got distracted by Los Angeles, which I know is LAX, but just couldn't shake it), and I got the next 3 before BWI threw me again.

1990s movie about Chris Farley being an embarrassing family member = Tommy Boy right? Oops. Negbait!

NHO "newsjacking", Chinatown, or the guy in Lawyers for $400.

I was completely stumped by the entire DJ! board. Felt very YEKIOYD.

No guess on FJ! Even with Chile I had no idea what the other one could be.

Lach Trash: "Tainted Love"
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Ugh, they're using the boring IATA codes and not the much more interesting ICAO codes.

Correctly figured out what a Scrum Master is. Only because I've been watching "Silicon Valley."

PRE-CALLED CRUEL TO BE KIND!

lol bitcoin. Bitcoin is what happens when economic illiterates don't understand why securities regulation exists, or that technology is fundamentally a social phenomenon.

I WENT HOME WITH A WAITRESS, THE WAY I ALWAYS DO!

Also pre-called Bob Dylan.

I always thought it was a pity that they didn't get Phil Morris to play Johnnie Cochran...

Who is that person who always shouts out "whoa!" on FJ wagers that don't need one? Some of Roger Craig's wagers needed a "whoa." A wager that's $399 more than what you need to cover a double-up by second place doesn't, particularly when it doesn't give you an unusually high final score.

Coryat: $38,200

J: 25R5P. Got the DD. 5/5 on Airport Codes, Alliterative People, and Bowl Game Sponsors. 4/5 on "Glass" (and disappointed that Philip Glass didn't get in on the action--did they tape this after the Kennedy Center Honors recipients were announced, incidentally? If so, he should sue for the mention to which he is entitled--I hear that the Court of Common Pleas is now in session). 3/5 on Lyrics and Stuck.

DJ: 21R2W6P. 1/2 on DDs (never heard of the Toni Morrison novel) 5/5 on Warren Zevon. 4/5 on Newer Words and Almost President. 3/5 on Heavenly Body (Venus instead of Mercury) and Nobelists. 2/4 on International Entertainment?

FJ: Instaget. Never heard of it, but straightforward enough.

LT: Pearl Buck, Syriana, Pluto
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Correctly guessed Chile but not the other.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

40 right.

Lach Trash: "Tainted Love", Pearl S. Buck, Syriana, Pluto

I guessed Chile quickly, but picked Colombia as the second country.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I wonder if, for the BWI clue, they would have accepted "What is the airport I hate having to drive to?"
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

Re Final Jeopardy, A.T. remarks that one is easy and the other "difficult". I say not difficult, maybe to him, another needless comment.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:34 pm I wonder if, for the BWI clue, they would have accepted "What is the airport I hate having to drive to?"
I would hate to drive to it, too.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:34 pm I wonder if, for the BWI clue, they would have accepted "What is the airport I hate having to drive to?"
I kept trying to come up with Barre-Wilkes...then realized I had it backwards. I've even used BWI (then took light rail to Baltimore).
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:42 pm
I kept trying to come up with Barre-Wilkes...then realized I had it backwards. I've even used BWI (then took light rail to Baltimore).
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Airport does have the cooler code, though: AVP
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:44 pm
Never read the comics, bet they're awesome though. Might even make a cool movie.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:44 pm
Nothing beats Sioux City's SUX.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Chile was pretty much a gimme. I could not for the life of me picture what country was immediately north, or which had the longer coastline, so I 50-50'd Ecuador and Peru and guessed wrong this time. Boo, hiss.

On the other hand I ran all 3 categories before the first break, and can't recall doing that recently.

Yeah, the carousel is operating even more smoothly than the Trump White House. Wonder if we can call it a "perfect week" and see another new winner in Friday's game.

Congrats to Kathryn for a fine, solid win.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

John Boy wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:36 am Chile was pretty much a gimme. I could not for the life of me picture what country was immediately north, or which had the longer coastline, so I 50-50'd Ecuador and Peru and guessed wrong this time. Boo, hiss.
Same here. There aren't that many countries in SA and I should have the geography down pat, but for some reason I can never keep the locations and relative sizes of Peru and Ecuador straight.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:28 pm 1990s movie about Chris Farley being an embarrassing family member = Tommy Boy right? Oops. Negbait!
Not when the category is STUCK ON EWE. (Also, he had no family members to embarrass for most of Tommy Boy.)
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

The “Bowl Sponsors” category was bookended by Blockbuster Video, and the service that in no small part drove Blockbuster out of business.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:21 pm
John Boy wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:36 am Chile was pretty much a gimme. I could not for the life of me picture what country was immediately north, or which had the longer coastline, so I 50-50'd Ecuador and Peru and guessed wrong this time. Boo, hiss.
Same here. There aren't that many countries in SA and I should have the geography down pat, but for some reason I can never keep the locations and relative sizes of Peru and Ecuador straight.
I knew that Peru was bigger than Ecuador but until I looked at a map (after missing FJ with Columbia) I hadn't known how long the coastline of Peru is. Sometimes a missed FJ is a spur to learn a little something.