2019 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Post Reply
User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8024
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by econgator » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:37 pm

9021amyers wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:06 pm
Volante wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:35 am
Volante wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:25 pm
Bob Einstein, brother to Albert "Scorpio" Brooks (who's birth name is Einstein) and creator/actor of Super Dave Osborne, has died.

https://news.avclub.com/r-i-p-bob-einst ... 1831438967
And now Albert "Scorpio" Brooks, nee Einstein (Yes, I used it twice. I don't care.) has died.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47175304
Wrong Albert.
And wrong nee (it's né for males).

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 3942
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Woof » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:30 pm

econgator wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:37 pm
9021amyers wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:06 pm
Volante wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:35 am
Volante wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:25 pm
Bob Einstein, brother to Albert "Scorpio" Brooks (who's birth name is Einstein) and creator/actor of Super Dave Osborne, has died.

https://news.avclub.com/r-i-p-bob-einst ... 1831438967
And now Albert "Scorpio" Brooks, nee Einstein (Yes, I used it twice. I don't care.) has died.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47175304
Wrong Albert.
And wrong nee (it's né for males).
I was going to make that point. As to the other point, see this article

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 3942
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Woof » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:08 pm

Different Albert (Finney) dead. Not fake news

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6464
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Volante » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:48 pm

Woof wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:08 pm
Different Albert (Finney) dead. Not fake news
I have no idea how I did that...

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9413
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MarkBarrett » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:53 am

BET show about Don Cornelius & Soul Train: American Soul

Previous category about the show: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1823 when it played for a net zero.

MtlMike
Valued Contributor
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MtlMike » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:33 am

9021amyers wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:15 pm
Baseball Hall-of-Famer Frank Robinson has died at 83.

Robinson became the first African-American manager in Major League Baseball in 1975 with the Cleveland Indians, while he was still an active player. He is the only person (to date) to win the Most Valuable Player Award in both the National and American Leagues.
Another small factoid: Robinson was the last manager ever for the Montreal Expos.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6464
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Volante » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:17 pm

2019 Grammy Awards

Record of the Year, Song of the Year, Best Music Video - "This is America", Childish Gambino (Donald Glover) *First rap record, rap song win
Album of the Year, Best Country Album - Golden Hour, Kacey Musgraves
Best Rap Album - Invasion of Privacy, Cardi B, *First solo female artist win
Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, Best Song Written For Visual Media - "Shallow", Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper (A Star Is Born)
Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album - My Way, Willie Nelson
Best Spoken Word Album - "Faith - A Journey For All", Jimmy Carter
Best Pop Vocal Album - Sweetener, Ariana Grande (Former(?) Florida Panthers Fan)

Bonus Ariana Grande news that they won't ask for but this is just great. Some enterprising archive sleuth dug this up:
https://deadspin.com/wow-this-wildly-su ... 1832533818
...hockey writer and Sudbury Wolves team historian Mike Commito shared the newspaper clipping about then-5-year-old Grande, who was hit by a puck at Florida’s home opener in their new arena. It was the second time that the devout Panthers fan had been hit in the wrist by a puck in her very short life.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9413
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:52 am

America's Got Talent changes: Julianne Hough & Gabrielle Union new judges replacing Heidi Klum & Mel B
and Terry Crews host replacing Tyra Banks

Simon & Howie are returning.

User avatar
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 264
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:39 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by RJRouge » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:57 am

Volante wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:17 pm
2019 Grammy Awards

Record of the Year, Song of the Year, Best Music Video - "This is America", Childish Gambino (Donald Glover) *First rap record, rap song win
Album of the Year, Best Country Album - Golden Hour, Kacey Musgraves
Best Rap Album - Invasion of Privacy, Cardi B, *First solo female artist win
Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, Best Song Written For Visual Media - "Shallow", Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper (A Star Is Born)
Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album - My Way, Willie Nelson
Best Spoken Word Album - "Faith - A Journey For All", Jimmy Carter
Best Pop Vocal Album - Sweetener, Ariana Grande (Former(?) Florida Panthers Fan)
You forgot the most important one, if only because of the winner:

Best Boxed or Special Limited Edition Package - Squeeze Box: The Collected Works of "Weird Al" Yankovic

This puts him at a grand total of 5.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9413
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:43 am

RJRouge wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:57 am
Volante wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:17 pm
2019 Grammy Awards

Record of the Year, Song of the Year, Best Music Video - "This is America", Childish Gambino (Donald Glover) *First rap record, rap song win
Album of the Year, Best Country Album - Golden Hour, Kacey Musgraves
Best Rap Album - Invasion of Privacy, Cardi B, *First solo female artist win
Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, Best Song Written For Visual Media - "Shallow", Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper (A Star Is Born)
Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album - My Way, Willie Nelson
Best Spoken Word Album - "Faith - A Journey For All", Jimmy Carter
Best Pop Vocal Album - Sweetener, Ariana Grande (Former(?) Florida Panthers Fan)
You forgot the most important one, if only because of the winner:

Best Boxed or Special Limited Edition Package - Squeeze Box: The Collected Works of "Weird Al" Yankovic

This puts him at a grand total of 5.
Best New Artist - Dua Lipa

Whoever or whatever that is and not that I'll remember it tomorrow.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9413
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:43 pm

(emailed to me from a friend who got it from the WaPo: McDonald’s loses Big Mac trademark. Burger King adds ‘Like a Big Mac, but actually big.’

McDonald’s lost the Big Mac trademark after a legal battle with Supermac’s, an Irish fast-food chain. (The name comes from owner Pat McDonagh’s nickname in his heyday as a college Gaelic football player.) McDonagh started the chain in 1978 and has faced opposition from McDonald’s over the naming of the chain’s offerings, like a burger called Mighty Mac, which shares many ingredients with the Big Mac. McDonald’s suggested that the similarity in names might confuse customers. Supermac’s argued that McDonald’s legal interventions were preventing the chain from expanding outside Ireland. But the European Union Intellectual Property Office decided in January that McDonald’s hadn’t proved “genuine use” of the Big Mac trademark in the E.U., leaving the Big Mac name up for grabs.


************
(copied from a Yahoo! news article): The Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show has crowned King the Wire Fox Terrier its new best in show champion.

User avatar
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1644
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:02 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by teapot37 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:44 am

MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:43 pm
(emailed to me from a friend who got it from the WaPo: McDonald’s loses Big Mac trademark. Burger King adds ‘Like a Big Mac, but actually big.’

McDonald’s lost the Big Mac trademark after a legal battle with Supermac’s, an Irish fast-food chain. (The name comes from owner Pat McDonagh’s nickname in his heyday as a college Gaelic football player.) McDonagh started the chain in 1978 and has faced opposition from McDonald’s over the naming of the chain’s offerings, like a burger called Mighty Mac, which shares many ingredients with the Big Mac. McDonald’s suggested that the similarity in names might confuse customers. Supermac’s argued that McDonald’s legal interventions were preventing the chain from expanding outside Ireland. But the European Union Intellectual Property Office decided in January that McDonald’s hadn’t proved “genuine use” of the Big Mac trademark in the E.U., leaving the Big Mac name up for grabs.
Basically what happened is that McDonald's failed to provide the panel the kind of evidence they wanted to see. They showed their menu, their website, their packaging, and internal affidavits of sales figures, but that panel puts little weight on first-party evidence, preferring independent, third-party figures.

https://www.trademarkandcopyrightlawblo ... trademark/

In case there was any doubt, McDonald's intends to appeal.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6514
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by alietr » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:53 am

teapot37 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:44 am
MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:43 pm
(emailed to me from a friend who got it from the WaPo: McDonald’s loses Big Mac trademark. Burger King adds ‘Like a Big Mac, but actually big.’

McDonald’s lost the Big Mac trademark after a legal battle with Supermac’s, an Irish fast-food chain. (The name comes from owner Pat McDonagh’s nickname in his heyday as a college Gaelic football player.) McDonagh started the chain in 1978 and has faced opposition from McDonald’s over the naming of the chain’s offerings, like a burger called Mighty Mac, which shares many ingredients with the Big Mac. McDonald’s suggested that the similarity in names might confuse customers. Supermac’s argued that McDonald’s legal interventions were preventing the chain from expanding outside Ireland. But the European Union Intellectual Property Office decided in January that McDonald’s hadn’t proved “genuine use” of the Big Mac trademark in the E.U., leaving the Big Mac name up for grabs.
Basically what happened is that McDonald's failed to provide the panel the kind of evidence they wanted to see. They showed their menu, their website, their packaging, and internal affidavits of sales figures, but that panel puts little weight on first-party evidence, preferring independent, third-party figures.

https://www.trademarkandcopyrightlawblo ... trademark/

In case there was any doubt, McDonald's intends to appeal.
That case is about the only time I sympathized with the Brexiters.

User avatar
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 264
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:39 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by RJRouge » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:50 pm

Pedro Morales, WWE's first triple crown champion, has died at 76.

https://www.cbssports.com/wwe/news/pedr ... ge-76/amp/

User avatar
AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 821
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:48 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by AFRET CMS » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:13 pm

teapot37 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:44 am
In case there was any doubt, McDonald's intends to appeal.
McDonald's will be appealing? Why start now?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

User avatar
mfc248
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:08 pm
Location: Royersford, PA
Contact:

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by mfc248 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:56 pm

D.C. Circuit Appellate Judge Amy Berman Jackson^ voids Paul Manafort's plea deal, ruling the President's former campaign manager "made multiple false statements to the FBI, the OSC [Office of Special Counsel, aka Robert Mueller] and the grand jury concerning matters that were material to the investigation".

^ Matt Jackson's mom

User avatar
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 551
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: mired in the bureaucracy

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by earendel » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:39 am

NASA's Opportunity Mars rover ends its mission. Expected to last for 90 days, the rover sent back data for 15 years. Its last communication with Earth was in June 2018, but scientists hoped that winds would clear the solar panels that powered the rover. That didn't happen and NASA officially declared the mission over on Wednesday.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/13/world/na ... index.html
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6464
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Volante » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:00 am

Airbus is ending production of the A380, the largest passenger jet, with the last new plane being delivered in 2021.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-airb ... SKCN1Q30GW

The Dreamliner won.

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1476
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 am
Location: Atlanta

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by 9021amyers » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:54 pm

Volante wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:00 am
Airbus is ending production of the A380, the largest passenger jet, with the last new plane being delivered in 2021.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-airb ... SKCN1Q30GW

The Dreamliner won.
Explainer for anyone who doesn’t understand who won what:


(TL/DR: Airbus developed the A380 believing the future of commercial aviation was a beefed-up hub and spoke model between long-haul supercorridors, and Boeing developed the 787 Dreamliner believing the future of aviation was directly connecting lots of destinations via more efficient twinjets. The oil bubble of the 2000s popped, the Dreamliner’s range has made ultra-haul flights between Europe/the eastern U.S. and Southeast Asia/Australia possible, and Boeing’s imminent 757 replacement promises to make direct transatlantic flights even more affordable. At least Airbus hedged their bets with the A350.)

User avatar
OrangeSAM
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2029
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by OrangeSAM » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:40 pm

The Republic of Macedonia is now officially the Republic of North Macedonia with the implementation of the Prespa agreement.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prespa_agreement
OCSam

Post Reply