2019 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1380
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 am

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Johnblue » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:25 pm

USA Today will stop publishing its paper, switching to online only. Coincidentally there was a clue on tonight’s show about their first issue in 1982.

User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 1104
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by trainman » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:56 pm

Johnblue wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:25 pm
USA Today will stop publishing its paper, switching to online only.
As of now, this is only speculation (and it's been officially denied by USA Today's parent company).

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2447
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by CasketRomance » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:18 pm

sacramento republic will be the 29th mls franchise...slated to begin play in 2022

User avatar
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi
Posts: 1101
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:04 pm
Location: Old Hickory, TN

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by cinemaniax7 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:21 pm

Qantas Airlines has completed the first-ever nonstop flight connecting New York and Sydney. The 19-hour survey flight on a Boeing 787 is part of the airline's effort to launch the world's longest flights connecting Australia's east coast to both New York and London.

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 2416
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by hbomb1947 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:13 am

Nickeolodeon Universe, the largest indoor theme park in the Western hemisphere, opens in New Jersey this week.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/A ... w9LUk9wBtE
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1522
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by triviawayne » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:36 am

hbomb1947 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:13 am
Nickeolodeon Universe, the largest indoor theme park in the Western hemisphere, opens in New Jersey this week.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/A ... w9LUk9wBtE
that's crazy, considering it's part of a new mall. crazier is someone is building a new mall...
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2447
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:47 pm

Japan based Babymetal becomes the first Asian band to hit number 1 on the Billboard's Top Rock Albums charts

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9228
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Bamaman » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:29 pm

The Spanish government exhumed Francisco Franco in order to move him to another cemetery. Don’t know if they checked to see if he is still dead.

User avatar
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:39 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by RJRouge » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:01 am

Bamaman wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:29 pm
The Spanish government exhumed Francisco Franco in order to move him to another cemetery. Don’t know if they checked to see if he is still dead.
I understood that reference.

User avatar
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi
Posts: 1101
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:04 pm
Location: Old Hickory, TN

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by cinemaniax7 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:18 pm

Longtime character actor Wes Studi was awarded an honorary Oscar at this year's Governors Awards, making him the first Native American to win an Academy Award. Studi has appeared in such films as The Last of the Mohicans, Heat, Mystery Men, Avatar, and Dances with Wolves.

Other honorees include director Lina Wertmüller, who became the first woman ever nominated for Best Director for her 1977 film, Seven Beauties.

David Lynch received an honorary Oscar for his body of work, which includes Blue Velvet, The Elephant Man, Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead, and The Straight Story. Lynch also created the seminal TV series Twin Peaks.

Geena Davis received the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award for her work as founder of the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6670
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Volante » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:48 pm

The Vatican Secret Archives are no longer Secret.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-pope ... SKBN1X71NA
The Vatican said on Monday the new name will be the Vatican Apostolic Archives.

This removes any potentially “negative nuances” from the Latin word “secretum” which the pope said in a decree was closer to “private” or “reserved” than “secret” when the archives first got their name around 1610.

The archives have long not been a secret anyway: like most state archives, they are open to qualified researchers after a period of time.

User avatar
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi
Posts: 1101
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:04 pm
Location: Old Hickory, TN

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by cinemaniax7 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:33 pm

Robert Evans, longtime movie producer and former head of Paramount Pictures, has passed away at the age of 89. Evans has been mentioned six times on J!, five times in clues involving ex-wife Ali McGraw and once as the correct question, although none of these was more recent than 2006.

Evans was involved with the production of such memorable films as The Godfather, Chinatown, Marathon Man, and Rosemary's Baby. His lone Oscar nomination came as producer of Chinatown, which lost the Best Picture award to The Godfather, Part II, which did not directly involve Evans after he clashed with director Francis Ford Coppola over several aspects of the original film.

In 1994, he published a frank memoir of his life, The Kid Stays in the Picture, which was later adapted into a 2002 documentary of the same title.

Evans was married and divorced seven times to seven different women, including actress and model McGraw and former Miss America Phyllis George.

User avatar
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi
Posts: 1101
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:04 pm
Location: Old Hickory, TN

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by cinemaniax7 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:35 pm

Taylor Swift will be named the first-ever Artist of the Decade at the 2019 American Music Awards. Swift has 23 AMAs to her name, the most AMA wins of any female artist.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6670
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Volante » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:07 pm

National treasure bursting into flames is now going to need to be keyed by country as Shuri Castle on Okinawa in Japan suffers conflagration

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-50244169
The main building, as well as the north and south structures of the castle have burned to the ground, local media said.
At least, much like Notre Dame before it, fire is not a stranger of Shuri's past
According to Okinawa's tourism site, the castle burned down three times during the Ryukyu Dynasty and was burnt down again in World War Two during the Battle of Okinawa.

User avatar
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2086
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by xxaaaxx » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:50 pm

Washington Nationals def. Houston Astros 4-3 to win the 2019 MLB World Series. It's the first title in the history of the Nationals' franchise, which began in 1969 as the Montreal Expos. Pitcher Stephen Strasburg was named series MVP.

This is also the first time in North American pro sports (MLB/NBA/NHL) history that the road team won every game of a best-of-seven series.

Congrats to any Nats fans out there. I did not see this coming.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1699
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:02 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by teapot37 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:06 am

xxaaaxx wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:50 pm
Washington Nationals def. Houston Astros 4-3 to win the 2019 MLB World Series. It's the first title in the history of the Nationals' franchise, which began in 1969 as the Montreal Expos. Pitcher Stephen Strasburg was named series MVP.

This is also the first time in North American pro sports history that the road team won every game of a best-of-seven series.

Congrats to any Nats fans out there. I did not see this coming.
It was also the first time that the first SIX games in a series were won by the road team as well. Congrats to the Nats.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1522
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by triviawayne » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:34 am

xxaaaxx wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:50 pm
Washington Nationals def. Houston Astros 4-3 to win the 2019 MLB World Series. It's the first title in the history of the Nationals' franchise, which began in 1969 as the Montreal Expos. Pitcher Stephen Strasburg was named series MVP.

This is also the first time in North American pro sports history that the road team won every game of a best-of-seven series.

Congrats to any Nats fans out there. I did not see this coming.
just to clarify "pro" sports, it is top level pro sports. The AHL had a 7 game series won by every visitor
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2447
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:58 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:34 am
xxaaaxx wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:50 pm
Washington Nationals def. Houston Astros 4-3 to win the 2019 MLB World Series. It's the first title in the history of the Nationals' franchise, which began in 1969 as the Montreal Expos. Pitcher Stephen Strasburg was named series MVP.

This is also the first time in North American pro sports history that the road team won every game of a best-of-seven series.

Congrats to any Nats fans out there. I did not see this coming.
just to clarify "pro" sports, it is top level pro sports. The AHL had a 7 game series won by every visitor
yeah he should probably change to the "big 3 pro north american sports leagues"

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1522
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by triviawayne » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:48 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:58 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:34 am
xxaaaxx wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:50 pm
Washington Nationals def. Houston Astros 4-3 to win the 2019 MLB World Series. It's the first title in the history of the Nationals' franchise, which began in 1969 as the Montreal Expos. Pitcher Stephen Strasburg was named series MVP.

This is also the first time in North American pro sports history that the road team won every game of a best-of-seven series.

Congrats to any Nats fans out there. I did not see this coming.
just to clarify "pro" sports, it is top level pro sports. The AHL had a 7 game series won by every visitor
yeah he should probably change to the "big 3 pro north american sports leagues"
Big 3 wouldn’t be good wording, not considering the NFL as a big 3 ?
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2447
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:57 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:48 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:58 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:34 am
xxaaaxx wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:50 pm
Washington Nationals def. Houston Astros 4-3 to win the 2019 MLB World Series. It's the first title in the history of the Nationals' franchise, which began in 1969 as the Montreal Expos. Pitcher Stephen Strasburg was named series MVP.

This is also the first time in North American pro sports history that the road team won every game of a best-of-seven series.

Congrats to any Nats fans out there. I did not see this coming.
just to clarify "pro" sports, it is top level pro sports. The AHL had a 7 game series won by every visitor
yeah he should probably change to the "big 3 pro north american sports leagues"
Big 3 wouldn’t be good wording, not considering the NFL as a big 3 ?
nfl does not use a series format for their playoffs...that is why i didnt say big 4...i guess if you want to be anal you can go with "big 3 pro north american sports leagues that use a series based playoff format"

Post Reply