2019 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:42 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:56 pm #7924, aired 2019-02-07 "P"LACES AT THE MALL $800: Visit a showroom of this indoor bike brand for a test ride; if you by, a pro like George Hincapie could be your instructor
Now you're just setting me up. By should be buy. Yes, I checked, and it's that way in the Archive.
I'll go fix it now, but I'm innocent on that one as I was not the archivist for it. Of course that does not excuse me from looking over things I post or swipe directly from the Archive. Thank you.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:02 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:42 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:56 pm #7924, aired 2019-02-07 "P"LACES AT THE MALL $800: Visit a showroom of this indoor bike brand for a test ride; if you by, a pro like George Hincapie could be your instructor
Now you're just setting me up. By should be buy. Yes, I checked, and it's that way in the Archive.
I'll go fix it now, but I'm innocent on that one as I was not the archivist for it. Of course that does not excuse me from looking over things I post or swipe directly from the Archive. Thank you.
Let the record be clear that I wasn't criticizing you; you just happened to cite two different things from the Archive that had errors in them. There's a reason everybody in my office asks me to proof their documents.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Book title to keep in mind: A Warning

currently credited to the author "Anonymous", but I saw something somewhere that this person will reveal themselves at some point in the near future; and depending on who it is and what happens when that information becomes known (could be 2020 Current Events Study Guide), would possibly be good to know for Jeopardy.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hilary Mantel third book in trilogy: The Mirror & the Light about Henry VIII and Thomas Cromwell
(Previous ones: Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies)

Bougainville votes for independence from Papua New Guinea.

Volante mentioned it last month: Oil company Saudi Aramco is good to know as it's in the news this week for first $2 trillion company.
While there it doesn't hurt to know: Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman

Homework: Look over the nominations this week for Golden Globes and SAG Awards. Start matching stars to movies, stars to TV shows/limited series, directors to movies... Each time you see lists of nominees during award season read them over whether you plan to watch the ceremony or not. Even if you hate celeb news, the J! writers do not.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Current events and a bit of a PSA, too:

988 given approval as new suicide prevention hotline number.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:26 am Current events and a bit of a PSA, too:

How cruel! Do you know how long it takes to dial that on a rotary phone?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Boris Johnson's Conservative Party now has a majority in the British Parliament with 365 out of the 650 seats. Only Connect champion Aaron Bell won a seat in parliament, and Only Connect finalist Sanjoy Sen just missed out losing his district by around 200 votes. University Challenge champion Kwasi Kwarteng kept his seat. University Challenge champion and long-time UK cabinet member David Lidington decided not to run for this election. I don't know of any Mastermind or Brain of Britain champions or finalists (other than Bell) who were running.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Oscar-nominated actor Danny Aiello has died at the age of 86. Aiello was nominated for an Academy Award for his supporting role in Spike Lee’s Do the Right Thing, in which he plays an Italian-American pizzeria owner whose business is at the center of rising racial tensions in a predominantly African=American neighborhood in Brooklyn.

Aiello started as a stage actor but found greater success on screen, appearing in such notable films as Moonstruck (1987), The Godfather Part II (1974), The Front (1976), Once Upon a Time in America (1984), The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985), Léon: The Professional (1994), and Bang the Drum Slowly (1973). In the 1992 film Ruby, he played Jack Ruby, the Texas nightclub owner who shot and killed Lee Harvey Oswald shortly after Oswald was charged with killing JFK.

In 1986, Aiello played the father in Madonna's "Papa Don't Preach" music video and later recorded an answer song, "Papa Wants the Best for You."

In 2014, he published a memoir titled I Only Know Who I Am When I Am Somebody Else: My Life on the Street, on the Stage, and in the Movies.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:51 am
econgator wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:26 am Current events and a bit of a PSA, too:

How cruel! Do you know how long it takes to dial that on a rotary phone?
It's faster than 999, but the latter would have a much more dampening effect on the suicide rates of Germans.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:07 pm Oscar-nominated actor Danny Aiello has died at the age of 86. Aiello was nominated for an Academy Award for his supporting role in Spike Lee’s Do the Right Thing, in which he plays an Italian-American pizzeria owner whose business is at the center of rising racial tensions in a predominantly African=American neighborhood in Brooklyn.

Aiello started as a stage actor but found greater success on screen, appearing in such notable films as Moonstruck (1987), The Godfather Part II (1974), The Front (1976), Once Upon a Time in America (1984), The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985), Léon: The Professional (1994), and Bang the Drum Slowly (1973). In the 1992 film Ruby, he played Jack Ruby, the Texas nightclub owner who shot and killed Lee Harvey Oswald shortly after Oswald was charged with killing JFK.

In 1986, Aiello played the father in Madonna's "Papa Don't Preach" music video and later recorded an answer song, "Papa Wants the Best for You."

In 2014, he published a memoir titled I Only Know Who I Am When I Am Somebody Else: My Life on the Street, on the Stage, and in the Movies.
Since it wasn't mentioned, I'll just have to continue my belief that I am the only one who likes Hudson Hawk (hey, someone has to)
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:07 pm Oscar-nominated actor Danny Aiello has died at the age of 86. Aiello was nominated for an Academy Award for his supporting role in Spike Lee’s Do the Right Thing, in which he plays an Italian-American pizzeria owner whose business is at the center of rising racial tensions in a predominantly African=American neighborhood in Brooklyn.
Haven't really seen him in anything else, but Do the Right Thing is one of my all-time favorites, so it's sad to hear he passed away.

Speaking of film, this year's list of 25 films inducted into the National Film Registry were announced earlier this week. Some notable inductees include:

-Amadeus (1984), the Mozart biopic that won the Academy Award for Best Picture
-Boys Don't Cry (1999), a film about a transgender teenager that won Hilary Swank a Best Actress Oscar
-Clerks (1994), Kevin Smith's directorial debut and cult film about two young slackers
-Coal Miner's Daughter (1980), a biopic about county music star Loretta Lynn that won Sissy Spacek a Best Actress Oscar
-Gaslight (1944), a film about a husband manipulating his wife's mental state that won Ingrid Bergman the Best Actress Oscar
-The Last Waltz (1978), a Scorcese-directed documentary revolving around a concert of The Band
-Old Yeller (1957), the Disney adaptation of the Fred Gipson novel
-Platoon (1986), Oliver Stone's Vietnam War film that won 1986's Best Picture
-Purple Rain (1984), the Prince-centric musical drama film
-She's Gotta Have It (1986), Spike Lee's directorial debut about a woman and her three suitors
-Sleeping Beauty (1959), the animated Disney film based on the fairy tale by Charles Perrault
Last edited by The Talking Mime on Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The Talking Mime wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:47 pm Speaking of film, this year's list of 25 films inducted into the National Film Registry were announced earlier this week. Some notable inductees include:

-Boys Don't Cry (1999), a film about a transgender teenager that won Hilary Swank a Best Actress Oscar
-Clerks (1994), Kevin Smith's directorial debut and cult film about two young slackers
-Coal Miner's Daughter (1980), a biopic about county music star Loretta Lynn that won Sissy Spacek a Best Actress Oscar
-Gaslight (1944), a film about a husband manipulating his wife's mental state that won Ingrid Bergman the Best Actress Oscar
-She's Gotta Have It (1986), Spike Lee's directorial debut about a woman and her three suitors
-Sleeping Beauty (1959), the animated Disney film based on the fairy tale by Charles Perrault
The Last Waltz!
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

alietr wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:54 pm
The Talking Mime wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:47 pm Speaking of film, this year's list of 25 films inducted into the National Film Registry were announced earlier this week. Some notable inductees include:

The Last Waltz!
I was trying to focus more on narrative features than other genres for my list, but that's probably worth knowing about too. I guess I'll add it in.

Since I forgot to in my initial post, here's a link to the list of films with brief descriptions for each one: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ry-1261469
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

In a rut? Dial WUT!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

From The NY Times:

Merriam-Webster named “they” as its word of the year on Tuesday, amid the growing use of the plural pronoun to refer to a single person whose gender identity is nonbinary.

The publisher said searches for the definition of “they” on its website and apps increased by more than 300 percent in 2019 over the previous year.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:05 am From The NY Times:

Merriam-Webster named “they” as its word of the year on Tuesday, amid the growing use of the plural pronoun to refer to a single person whose gender identity is nonbinary.

The publisher said searches for the definition of “they” on its website and apps increased by more than 300 percent in 2019 over the previous year.
There is also that guy ostensibly in charge who keeps saying things like "They all love what I'm doing. They keep telling me to keep it up, they are behind me 100%. They even say I am the best president ever."
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

heppm01 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:10 am
morbeedo wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:05 am From The NY Times:

There is also that guy ostensibly in charge who keeps saying things like "They all love what I'm doing. They keep telling me to keep it up, they are behind me 100%. They even say I am the best president ever."
Well played
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-foot ... SKBN1YJ043
LSU quarterback Joe Burrow won the 85th Heisman Trophy in record-setting fashion on Saturday night.

The redshirt senior, who transferred from Ohio State following spring practice in 2018 after failing to win the starting job, has led the Tigers to a 13-0 record and the No. 1 seed in the College Football Playoff. He set a record for highest percentage of points in the balloting — 93.8
I hope he likes Miami...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:00 am https://www.reuters.com/article/us-foot ... SKBN1YJ043
LSU quarterback Joe Burrow won the 85th Heisman Trophy in record-setting fashion on Saturday night.

The redshirt senior, who transferred from Ohio State following spring practice in 2018 after failing to win the starting job, has led the Tigers to a 13-0 record and the No. 1 seed in the College Football Playoff. He set a record for highest percentage of points in the balloting — 93.8
I hope he likes Miami...
Why? Miami doesn’t draft good players, they don’t want to win.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Volante wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:00 am https://www.reuters.com/article/us-foot ... SKBN1YJ043

I hope he likes Miami...
why do you say that? the bengals are in line for the number 1 pick this year and they are in need of a quarterback since they probably don't want to continue with andy dalton