2019 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Peachbox »

Grumpy Cat (given name Tardar Sauce), has died at age 7.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Hewlett Packard Enterprise is buying Cray for $1.3 billion.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cray ... SKCN1SN1CN

If it wasn't for seeing 'CRAY' on a building when I visited Seattle a few weeks ago, the biggest news of this would've been "Cray still exists?!"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:57 am Hewlett Packard Enterprise is buying Cray for $1.3 billion.

If it wasn't for seeing 'CRAY' on a building when I visited Seattle a few weeks ago, the biggest news of this would've been "Cray still exists?!"
This. For people who don't know the name, Seymour Cray was the designer of most of the fastest supercomputers of the 1970s, first at CDC where he designed the 6600 and 7600 computers before starting his eponymous company and producing the Cray-1 and Cray-2 supercomputers.
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RJRouge »

Woof wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:20 am
Volante wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:57 am Hewlett Packard Enterprise is buying Cray for $1.3 billion.

This. For people who don't know the name, Seymour Cray was the designer of most of the fastest supercomputers of the 1970s, first at CDC where he designed the 6600 and 7600 computers before starting his eponymous company and producing the Cray-1 and Cray-2 supercomputers.
It's a shame he numbered them instead of lettered them. We could have had a Cray-Z computer.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Just gonna rip the Reuters headline on this one:

Herman Wouk, author of 'The Caine Mutiny' and 'The Winds of War,' dies at 103
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-peop ... SKCN1SN2C2
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

RJRouge wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:59 pm
Woof wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:20 am

It's a shame he numbered them instead of lettered them. We could have had a Cray-Z computer.
The whole idea is Cray-Cray...
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Peachbox wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:13 am Grumpy Cat (given name Tardar Sauce), has died at age 7.
The face that launched a thousand memes
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

After 12 seasons and 279 episodes, The Big Bang Theory has ended its run. Since its premiere on Sept. 24, 2007, the show has garnered 52 Emmy Award nominations and 10 wins and generated a spinoff prequel, Young Sheldon.

SPOILER ALERT: The elevator was finally repaired.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:35 am After 12 seasons and 279 episodes, The Big Bang Theory has ended its run. Since its premiere on Sept. 24, 2007, the show has garnered 52 Emmy Award nominations and 10 wins and generated a spinoff prequel, Young Sheldon.

SPOILER ALERT: The elevator was finally repaired.
It's been more than 24 hours so anyone who cared should have watched by now.

Sheldon & Amy won the Nobel Prize for physics. Sheldon's speech ended the series (other than the group shown eating in the living room back home with the theme song heard slower than usual) with, " [to friends in audience] I love you all and [to Amy] I love you. Thank you."

Surprise guest star: Sarah Michelle Gellar

The DNA model fell apart when Leonard tried to move it. He and Sheldon reassembled it taking 139 and 1/2 hours or 279 half-hours equaling the number of episodes in the series.

Howard's and Bernadette's children, Halley & Neil Michael, were shown for the first time.

Does not matter with Millionaire disappearing though they could have used:

Who first appeared in the repaired elevator? Penny (What a tremendous roar from the live audience.)

Who shared she was pregnant? Penny

Even if you do not usually watch Young Sheldon, any BBT fan should see that show's season finale ending. Perfect complement.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Chuck Lorre’s words on the closing credits title card: The End.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm proud of myself; the previous week, I called that the elevator would be fixed in the finale. While they played it nicely, I thought it would make a good ending if they were all moving away, and as they left the building, the elevators doors opened. I will say that I did not notice that the tape was gone before Penny appeared in it. It was certainly one of the best episodes of the last few seasons when it was definitely going downhill. We've been preferring Young Sheldon for a while.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:35 am I'm proud of myself; the previous week, I called that the elevator would be fixed in the finale. While they played it nicely, I thought it would make a good ending if they were all moving away, and as they left the building, the elevators doors opened. I will say that I did not notice that the tape was gone before Penny appeared in it. It was certainly one of the best episodes of the last few seasons when it was definitely going downhill. We've been preferring Young Sheldon for a while.
I had always thought it would end with them moving out and the elevator opening as they stood in the lobby for the last time. I mean, Penny has lived there 12 years, Leonard longer than that and Sheldon even longer. Time to move.

But Raj seems to have stayed in the same place the whole time and Howard has been in the same house his whole life.

Or maybe I should worry less about the living habits of fictional people.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

For the first time since 1977, a football player is wearing #32 for the Buffalo Bills. O.J. Simpson wore #32 for nine seasons with the team. Though the Bills hadn’t retired the number, given Simpson's legal troubles, it had been unofficially out of circulation, as former owner Ralph Wilson reportedly forbade it from being reissued. This week, they gave the number to running back Senorise Perry, who is facing tough competition to even make the team.

Only three numbers have been officially retired by the Bills: #12 (QB Jim Kelly), #78 (DE Bruce Smith), and #34 (RB Thurman Thomas).

O.J. Simpson led the NFL in rushing four times and was named MVP in 1973 when he became the first running back ever to rush for 2,000 yards in a season (at a time when the regular season was just 14 games long).

Simpson was famously charged with the 1994 murders of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman. Although he was found not guilty in a court of law, Simpson lost the case in civil court when he was sued by the Goldman family shortly after the acquittal. He later spent nearly ten years in prison after he was convicted of armed robbery and kidnapping in Las Vegas in 2008.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

New Coke will make a brief comeback under a partnership with the Netflix drama Stranger Things. Season 3 of the show takes place in the summer of 1985, when Coca-Cola changed its formula for Coke. New Coke is considered one of the biggest marketing blunders of all time, and the revised product was dropped after 79 days.

Coca-Cola will release a limited number of cans of New Coke as part of a Stranger Things package. An “upside-down” vending machine will also pop up in select cities this summer to dispense free cans of New Coke for a limited time.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Stephen Curry and Draymond Green became the first pair of teammates to record triple doubles in the same game in NBA playoff history
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:50 pm New Coke will make a brief comeback under a partnership with the Netflix drama Stranger Things. Season 3 of the show takes place in the summer of 1985, when Coca-Cola changed its formula for Coke. New Coke is considered one of the biggest marketing blunders of all time, and the revised product was dropped after 79 days.

Coca-Cola will release a limited number of cans of New Coke as part of a Stranger Things package. An “upside-down” vending machine will also pop up in select cities this summer to dispense free cans of New Coke for a limited time.
So now it really gets complicated...since the old coke is now the new coke, making the new coke the old coke; this means the new old coke will be the old new coke and the new new coke will be the new coke...aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Last ship that brought slaves to the U.S. found in Mobile River

The importation of slaves into the U.S. had been outlawed since 1808, during.....Thomas Jefferson's administration.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Psalm West: 4th child (son) of Kim Kardashian West and Kanye West - other children are North (girl), Saint (boy) and Chicago (girl)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:15 pm Psalm West: 4th child (son) of Kim Kardashian West and Kanye West - other children are North (girl), Saint (boy) and Chicago (girl)
sad that we have to worry about such crap as trivia players...why couldn''t they have just named all the kids the same like george foreman...or better yet...how about just go away
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

After losing more ministers over Brexit, Theresa May announces her resignation as leader of the United Kingdom's Conservative Party, effective June 7; that resignation will trigger a party leadership contest, the winner of which will succeed May as Prime Minister. The Tories anticipate concluding that contest by the end of July.