2019 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:24 pm I took it, but I didn't take it seriously. That's how I found out that if you type "Boober" for Justin Bieber, the quiz says "close enough" and gives you credit. Even more surprisingly and delightfully, it told me "close enough" when I typed "The British Trump" for Boris Johnson. I am sorry to say my luck did not hold out with the same tactic for "Evil Mark Zuckerberg" and "Evil Jeff Bezos". Perhaps these designations were considered redundant? After all, the quiz didn't accept "Tom Tom Brady" either.
why would you use his first name 2 times? should have tried uggs dude
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

PORTRAITS
(The portrait went back on public display in October 2019, so I posted here)

Rediscovered in 2017, Margaret Gillies' lost 1843 portrait of this man once prompted Elizabeth Barrett Browning to write that he "has the dust and mud of humanity about him, notwithstanding those eagle eyes.”
Spoiler

Who is Charles Dickens?

(figured category BRITISH AUTHORS would make it too easy)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

At Friday's Holiday Bowl, the University of Iowa Hawkeyes will play with the "Tigerhawk" logo removed from their helmets, in tribute to their legendary coach Hayden Fry, who passed away last week. The game will be against the USC Trojans.

(Coach Hayden Fox, played by Craig T. Nelson on the sitcom Coach, was named in tribute to Fry by show creator and U of I alumnus Barry Kemp.)
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Radio talk host Don Imus died at age 79 on December 27. He had retired from broadcasting in 2018. He was frequently controversial over his nearly 50-year career, perhaps most famously in describing the Rutgers women's basketball team (who had just lost the 2007 NCAA title game to Tennessee) as "nappy-headed hos". He was fired by his syndicate in the aftermath but went back to work for a different syndicate that November.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Tony Award winning composer Jerry Herman died at age 88 yesterday. He composed musicals such as "Hello, Dolly!", "Mame", and "“La Cage aux Folles".
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:59 am The New York Times posted a quiz where you attempt to identify 52 celebs, politicians, and athletes from their photos alone. If you don't have a subscription it may be worth expending one of your monthly views for:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... -quiz.html

The stats are pretty interesting, too.
Managed 41. Misspelled the leader of China's name enough that I didn't get credit. I blanked on Kamala Harris. Other misses were Jeffree Star, Emma Chamberlain, Julian Castro, Tom Steyer, Stacey Abrams, Deval Patrick, John Delaney, Michael Bennet, Steve Bullock
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:09 pm I thought it was interesting that less than 50% of Americans under 40 can identify Joe Biden from a photo (according to the article). That's just shameful.

Anyone else think Jeffree Star was Marilyn Manson?
NHO Jeffree Star, but I knew he wasn't Marilyn Manson. I typed 'wtf' because that was all I could figure out.

40/52 despite some NHOs, blanking on a couple names that I should have gotten, and losing the Venus/Serena coin toss.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Scottish singer-songwriter Lewis Capaldi hit song: "Someone You Loved"

Peter Capaldi (Doctor Who) leads Archive hits 4-0 though in 2020 I expect Lewis to put a dent in the surname monopoly.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Georgia Congressman and civil rights icon John Lewis has been diagnosed with Stage IV pancreatic cancer.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

For those of you who would like a bit of current event info featured across the pond with great comedians, here's the Big Fat Quiz of Everything for 2019:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIKDT6UpYsw
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:59 am The New York Times posted a quiz where you attempt to identify 52 celebs, politicians, and athletes from their photos alone. If you don't have a subscription it may be worth expending one of your monthly views for:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... -quiz.html

The stats are pretty interesting, too.
40 for me - worst miss was Rihanna, lowest get-rate that I knew was Modi. I'm assuming that you count for the "NYT average" if you're logged in. The ones where the "US average" is equal to or higher than the NYT average are:
  • Barack Obama (97%-94%)
  • Donald Trump (95-86)...did a bunch of people just refuse to answer one of the first two one out of principle?
  • Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson (85-82)
  • Jeffree Star (16-10, NHO for me)
  • Markiplier (9-4, also NHO)
  • Emma Chamberlain (both 4%, NHO)
That's two weird ones at the top, a celebrity, and three youtubers. Breaking that trend is Kim Kardashian, oddly, who had a better get-rate among NYT readers. I only used last names (even when I probably needed to clarify - I put "Kardashian" for that one and "Williams" for Serena Williams, among other things), so I don't know if people got penalized for putting the wrong Kardashian. If that's the case, then I suspect that as the reasoning.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:44 am Let's get this one out of the way now...

Best Original Song winner for next year's Oscars: "Spirit" from The Lion King. Beyoncé, Ilya Salmanzadeh and Labrinth.
https://news.avclub.com/beyonce-has-ble ... 1836245618
Was that winner or snub?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

41 for me. Well, 40, but I typed in a little "extra" for one of them that it didn't count.

But tell me - how am I supposed to distinguish between Julian Castro and Joaquin Castro?

Couldn't pull Marianne Williamson, but I knew she was "space cadet healing crystals lady running for the Democratic nomination". And for some reason my brain stalled for the longest time on Elizabeth Warren. I got there, but...it was weird.

In real life, I'm terrible with faces, but I guess with celebs I'm not awful. The ones I didn't know were NHO YouTubers (Jeffree Star, Markiplier, Emma Chamberlain), uber-minor Democratic nominees who I knew were nominees (Delaney, Williamson), uber-uber minor Democratic nominees who I've ignored/forgotten (Bennet, Bullock), and international leaders (Zelensky - couldn't pull the name, and Modi).

I also went a little too fast and mixed up billionaires, putting "Bloomberg" for "Steyer". And I didn't know Stacey Abrams, but I knew she was from Georgia. I didn't know they accepted titles, so maybe "Candidate for governor of Georgia" would have worked, as would "President of Ukrane".

My biggest "get" was Deval Patrick, but that doesn't count since I live in Massachusetts and he was the Governor. That leaves Rapinoe as my true biggest get. My biggest facepalm was Jeffree Star, proving that I have neither a bias nor a predilection for interesting hairstyles.