2019 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8165
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by econgator » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:18 pm

Doubt it will ever be asked but:

Jorge Soler of the KC Royals hit his 40th homer this year. Until then, the Royals were the only current MLB team to never have a 40-HR season from a player.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2334
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:20 pm

cinemaniax7 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:25 pm
Nicki Minaj has announced she’s retiring from music to be with family. With 104 hit singles, Minaj has made the most total appearances on the Billboard Hot 100 chart among female artists. Taylor Swift ranks just behind her with 95.
104 hit singles? she has been around for less than 10 years, right? what do people do these days? record 20 songs an album and release each song from that album?

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2334
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:21 pm

econgator wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:18 pm
Doubt it will ever be asked but:

Jorge Soler of the KC Royals hit his 40th homer this year. Until then, the Royals were the only current MLB team to never have a 40-HR season from a player.
bar trivia somewhere will...i write games and i probably will include that at some point

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1497
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by triviawayne » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:55 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:20 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:25 pm
Nicki Minaj has announced she’s retiring from music to be with family. With 104 hit singles, Minaj has made the most total appearances on the Billboard Hot 100 chart among female artists. Taylor Swift ranks just behind her with 95.
104 hit singles? she has been around for less than 10 years, right? what do people do these days? record 20 songs an album and release each song from that album?
Collaborations count
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2334
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:02 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:55 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:20 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:25 pm
Nicki Minaj has announced she’s retiring from music to be with family. With 104 hit singles, Minaj has made the most total appearances on the Billboard Hot 100 chart among female artists. Taylor Swift ranks just behind her with 95.
104 hit singles? she has been around for less than 10 years, right? what do people do these days? record 20 songs an album and release each song from that album?
Collaborations count

that is still a lot in less than a decade career

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1497
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by triviawayne » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:35 am

CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:02 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:55 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:20 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:25 pm
Nicki Minaj has announced she’s retiring from music to be with family. With 104 hit singles, Minaj has made the most total appearances on the Billboard Hot 100 chart among female artists. Taylor Swift ranks just behind her with 95.
104 hit singles? she has been around for less than 10 years, right? what do people do these days? record 20 songs an album and release each song from that album?
Collaborations count

that is still a lot in less than a decade career

Drake has over 200 in about the same time frame, the cast of Glee in much less time.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
Volante
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6608
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Volante » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:30 am

Robert Mugabe, founding father and former President of Zimbabwe, has died in Singapore.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-zimb ... SKCN1VR0FZ

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2334
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by CasketRomance » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:24 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:35 am
CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:02 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:55 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:20 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:25 pm
Nicki Minaj has announced she’s retiring from music to be with family. With 104 hit singles, Minaj has made the most total appearances on the Billboard Hot 100 chart among female artists. Taylor Swift ranks just behind her with 95.
104 hit singles? she has been around for less than 10 years, right? what do people do these days? record 20 songs an album and release each song from that album?
Collaborations count



that is still a lot in less than a decade career

Drake has over 200 in about the same time frame, the cast of Glee in much less time.

quantity over quality these days, i guess
Last edited by CasketRomance on Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2334
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by CasketRomance » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:25 pm

in the first matchup between brothers in mlb history, brian moran (miami marlins) strikes out his brother colin moran (pittsburgh pirates) for his first career mlb strikeout

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9706
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:30 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:25 pm
in the first matchup between brothers in mlb history, brian moran (miami marlins) strikes out his brother colin moran (pittsburgh pirates) for his first career mlb strikeout
I'll open with the Niekro brothers for, "Say what!"?

I think the distinction about about the Moran brothers concerns debut?

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2334
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by CasketRomance » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:33 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:30 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:25 pm
in the first matchup between brothers in mlb history, brian moran (miami marlins) strikes out his brother colin moran (pittsburgh pirates) for his first career mlb strikeout
I'll open with the Niekro brothers for, "Say what!"?

I think the distinction about about the Moran brothers concerns debut?
pitcher vs batter

plenty of times brothers played in the same game on opposite teams, but this is the first time a brother pitched to his brother

will change it to "modern era" since elias sports says it happened in 1900, but didn't provide who the dudes were...marlins broadcasters said it was the first time ever......not sure what the result of that 1900 at bat was, but if no strike out, then could go with "first time a brother struck out a brother"and not even bother with era distinction

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9706
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:50 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:33 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:30 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:25 pm
in the first matchup between brothers in mlb history, brian moran (miami marlins) strikes out his brother colin moran (pittsburgh pirates) for his first career mlb strikeout
I'll open with the Niekro brothers for, "Say what!"?

I think the distinction about about the Moran brothers concerns debut?
pitcher vs batter

plenty of times brothers played in the same game on opposite teams, but this is the first time a brother pitched to his brother

will change it to "modern era" since elias sports says it happened in 1900, but didn't provide who the dudes were...marlins broadcasters said it was the first time ever......not sure what the result of that 1900 at bat was, but if no strike out, then could go with "first time a brother struck out a brother"and not even bother with era distinction
Are you telling me that George Brett never hit against Ken Brett? How is that possible?

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2334
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by CasketRomance » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:32 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:50 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:33 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:30 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:25 pm
in the first matchup between brothers in mlb history, brian moran (miami marlins) strikes out his brother colin moran (pittsburgh pirates) for his first career mlb strikeout
I'll open with the Niekro brothers for, "Say what!"?

I think the distinction about about the Moran brothers concerns debut?
pitcher vs batter

plenty of times brothers played in the same game on opposite teams, but this is the first time a brother pitched to his brother

will change it to "modern era" since elias sports says it happened in 1900, but didn't provide who the dudes were...marlins broadcasters said it was the first time ever......not sure what the result of that 1900 at bat was, but if no strike out, then could go with "first time a brother struck out a brother"and not even bother with era distinction
Are you telling me that George Brett never hit against Ken Brett? How is that possible?
you are a god...blame the crappy florida marlins (yes i know they changed their name, but pizz on them and i will not play their reindeer games) for saying the first time a brother/brother matchup happened...it was first time in the first game since 1900...not sure why they even bring that up, since he was the 2nd batter he faced...big deal he faced him in his debut game..would have been a good nugget had he been his first ever batter faced, but he was the 2nd..the noteworthy part is "first time a brother struck out a brother for first career strikeout", but their (marlins crappy announcers) came before that happened, so they need to fact check their info...i never thought i would have to fact check people spouting off information they probably prepared themselves with since the possible scenario was had a chance during this series,,,so in the end....the current event info to take away from this dumpster fire is

brian moran becomes the first pitcher to record first career strikeout against brother


added note...george brett was 6 of 20 against brother ken

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9215
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Bamaman » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:41 am

Joe Niekro’s only career home run was off Phil.

They did not like facing each other and tried to avoid it if possible.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8165
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by econgator » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:03 pm

To the surprise of absolutely no one, the Raiders have released WR Antonio Brown.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2334
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by CasketRomance » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:52 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:41 am
Joe Niekro’s only career home run was off Phil.

They did not like facing each other and tried to avoid it if possible.
the marlins announcers and research staff should be fired for botching that

User avatar
Volante
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6608
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Volante » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:06 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:52 pm
Bamaman wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:41 am
Joe Niekro’s only career home run was off Phil.

They did not like facing each other and tried to avoid it if possible.
the marlins announcers and research staff should be fired for botching that
You've made your point. If there's anything further, Retaken Down is back on the main page.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2334
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by CasketRomance » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:28 pm

bethanie mattek-sands and jamie murray become the first mixed doubles team to successfully defend a us open title since 1982

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2334
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by CasketRomance » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:02 pm

bianca andreescu becomes the first canadian to win a grand slam singles title by winning the 2019 us open

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2334
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by CasketRomance » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:04 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:02 pm
bianca andreescu becomes the first canadian to win a grand slam singles title by winning the 2019 us open
she also became the fist player man or woman to be born in the 2000s to win a grand slam title

Post Reply