Tuesday, January 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, January 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Lefty »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:31 pm
DBear wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:34 pm I am afraid to know what kids are being taught in school if "Peace Through Strength" was a TS. :?

politicized spoiler:
Spoiler
I hope they aren't teaching phony tag lines generated by a pretend conservative movement that only cared about making sure the rich and privileged got richer and more privileged. Maybe they are teaching the parts about renaming ICBM's as "peacekeeper missiles", calling Ketchup a vegetable, voodoo economics, tripling of the national debt, pointless cold war expenditures, race baiting with phony "welfare queen" narratives, ignoring the AIDS epidemic, being played by Iran to get Carter defeated, lying to Congress, using astrology to make decisions, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.
Spoiler
I think they covered themselves by their choice of "professed" over more exacting verbs.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Easy FJ. President Reagan ran on that slogan. Lots of LT. I didn’t think Kevin would win a second game but I was rooting for him. I’m not hugely knowledgeable about the Bible but as far as Micah, WECIB?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Lefty wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:07 am
DBear wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:34 pm I am afraid to know what kids are being taught in school if "Peace Through Strength" was a TS. :?

politicized spoiler:
Spoiler
I hope they aren't teaching phony tag lines generated by a pretend conservative movement that only cared about making sure the rich and privileged got richer and more privileged. Maybe they are teaching the parts about renaming ICBM's as "peacekeeper missiles", calling Ketchup a vegetable, voodoo economics, tripling of the national debt, pointless cold war expenditures, race baiting with phony "welfare queen" narratives, ignoring the AIDS epidemic, being played by Iran to get Carter defeated, lying to Congress, using astrology to make decisions, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.
Spoiler
I think they covered themselves by their choice of "professed" over more exacting verbs.

Edit: The show covered itself, I mean. I guess that wasn't the subject at hand, but anyway.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Lefty wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:14 am

politicized spoiler:
Spoiler
Spoiler

Edit: The show covered itself, I mean. I guess that wasn't the subject at hand, but anyway.
Hey, I heard you were selling "o"s?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:21 am Hey, I heard you were selling "o"s?
Was. I thought it'd be helpful when they were looking for a host on Wheel of Fortune.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:The DDs were extra unfriendly to Maggie as not only were they misses, but her facial expressions indicated no recognition or chance to get the right guys. DD3 especially had some deer in the headlights twitching. I was almost reminded of myself on the DD3 in MATH that stumped me back in aught five.
At least she was the only one to come up with an actual U.S. carrier namesake. Granted it could have been a wild guess.
Glad her soft wager got her the second place money.
Johnblue wrote: Easy FJ. President Reagan ran on that slogan. I didn’t think Kevin would win a second game but I was rooting for him.
John C. Stennis would have been a more viable guess than M. L. K. At least he knew how to wager though.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

I haven't seen this mentioned yet. Current aircraft carriers are named after Presidents - with a couple of exceptions. (Nimitz, Carl Vinson, and John C. Stennis) The two carriers under construction will be named John F. Kennedy (the second carrier to bear that name) and the Enterprise (the 9th naval vessel and the 4th carrier to be so named - a tradition that goes back to the 1700s and, if the Star Trek universe is to be believed, will continue for a few more centuries ;) ).

For me, the toss up was Reagan or H W Bush. I was sure both had carriers bearing their names. I went with Reagan because that slogan sounded more like him. It also fits with his "Trust but Verify" which I was sure was Reagan's. (And apparently borrowed from Russia according to my post-game googling.)

I could only stare at 2 of the 3 DDs. Jean Valjean pointed me to Les Mis and/or the French Revolution, but that was the end of my knowledge of that subject. I did manage to dredge up Micah after a moment of thought - and well before Alex was forced to call time.
--Peter
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Jonathan happened to be accompanying the cantor at 10 am Mass at my family's church this past Sunday (he was filling in; the connection was another singer at the same church who also runs the LA chapter of Comedy Sportz, in which Jonathan and his wife are involved). Since I know him from pub quiz, I introduced my family to him afterwards, and told them he'd be on Jeopardy this week, and told him my dad and I had both been contestants (he knew I had been, but my second-generation status was news to him). Then my dad was humble, saying he won one game but couldn't hold a candle to my five, to which my brother opined, "Better to win one than none!" I winced inwardly at that, because for all I knew, Jonathan was one of those no-game winners and my brother had inadvertently slighted him. I followed up with, "But I respect all Jeopardy contestants equally," and moved on. It was a relief to see that my brother's casual comment didn't turn out to be a barb.

More relevant to the game: we commonly complain about people wagering too little on DDs, but if we take their non–"blow the game open" wagers as signs of underconfidence, then usually, they actually wager too much. If Maggie's last wager had been the minimum (or anything below $150) rather than $1,200, she would have prevented Jonathan's lock.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:43 am Jonathan happened to be accompanying the cantor at 10 am Mass at my family's church this past Sunday (he was filling in; the connection was another singer at the same church who also runs the LA chapter of Comedy Sportz, in which Jonathan and his wife are involved).
I recognized Jonathan’s name because he was the house accompanist for the Thrilling Adventure Hour stage show/podcast, which is sadly no longer in regular production. I follow some of the comedians involved in that show on Twitter; I’m surprised I didn’t see any messages to watch him yesterday.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Congrats to Jonathan on win. I assume this is his IMDB page. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1729857/

No on FJ for me. No guess.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I'm always surprised when someone seems to never have heard of Dreyfus. It seems like his name comes up frequently on Jeopardy - directly or indirectly through a question about Emile Zola. Not to mention that it's one of the more infamous bits of French history so it's quite likely that Maggie heard his name in a World History class, even if she hasn't been watching Jeopardy for any length of time.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

52 R (Only missing Sports Drafts $200, $600, and $1000; and The Movies $1200 and $1600)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Erik the Red & Leif Ericson, (Alfred Dreyfus), Iraq, Turkey, Punk Rock, Strapping, Trachea, Murders in the Rue Morgue, (Micah), Alhambra, The Fountain of Youth, The Queen Bee, Hulk Hogan
Douglas Squasoni
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

30,200 coryat. Knew final had to be a president but guessed Eisenhower.

When the MAKING THE ZINE category was revealed, I was doubtful they'd include anything I'd recognize as a zine but then Razorcake showed up in the bottom box. "Angry" is a rather inapt descriptor of the genre. "Noisy", "dissonant", or even "fast", work better. Poll request for this clue, please.
I would prefer not to.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I got Reagan although I wasn't 100% sure. I knew there's an USS Ronald Reagan carrier (and really there should be), but didn't know "peace through strength" was a Reagan slogan, although it certainly sounded like Reagan.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

politicized spoiler:
Spoiler
(spoiler tag removed by tfb)
Nice parsing job! I MUST pay more attention to categories and clues. Makes me like the J! writers even more with their clever (and appropriate) phraseology. And the Reaganites don't even notice the shade job!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Kevin missed some easy ones in this game but this seemed like one of the easiest potential rebound pickups ever:
COOL CRITTERS $1200: In 2016 beekeepers cleared 20,000 bees from a car in Wales after the bees tracked it for 2 days in order to free this
(Jonathan: What is their hive?)
(Maggie: What is honey?)
He just didn't seem to have much self-confidence and looked a bit lost. But hey, he can still call himself a Jeopardy Champion! :geek:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:53 am Kevin missed some easy ones in this game but this seemed like one of the easiest potential rebound pickups ever:
COOL CRITTERS $1200: In 2016 beekeepers cleared 20,000 bees from a car in Wales after the bees tracked it for 2 days in order to free this
That one had me stumped because "this" had me stuck on objects, not living things. I imagine the contestants had a similar thought process.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:33 am
Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:53 am Kevin missed some easy ones in this game but this seemed like one of the easiest potential rebound pickups ever:
That one had me stumped because "this" had me stuck on objects, not living things. I imagine the contestants had a similar thought process.
Except that one doesn't usually free a thing; one frees a "person" (you don't jail or imprison a book or a hive or honey, for example). And even then, once the only "things" they might try to free were eliminated, what remains? And you don't have to know much about bees to know that they're all about the queen.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:41 pmExcept that one doesn't usually free a thing; one frees a "person" (you don't jail or imprison a book or a hive or honey, for example). And even then, once the only "things" they might try to free were eliminated, what remains? And you don't have to know much about bees to know that they're all about the queen.
That seems like an insanely fine-tuned logic. Once hive and honey were eliminated, I hit a dead end because I was stuck on "things". I wouldn't think of a queen as a thing, even though I know how bees work.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:49 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:41 pmExcept that one doesn't usually free a thing; one frees a "person" (you don't jail or imprison a book or a hive or honey, for example). And even then, once the only "things" they might try to free were eliminated, what remains? And you don't have to know much about bees to know that they're all about the queen.
That seems like an insanely fine-tuned logic. Once hive and honey were eliminated, I hit a dead end because I was stuck on "things". I wouldn't think of a queen as a thing, even though I know how bees work.
Before we got bees, I have heard/seen anecdotes of volunteer beekeepers removing swarms of bees from baseball fields - it happens a couple of times every year. These annual stories are how you are supposed to know this aspect of bee behavior. They find the queen, the bees follow. It also is how you get those cool pictures of bee beards - you put the queen in a small cage around your neck.

FYI - swarms of bees are not aggressive. They are homeless and have no honey or resources to protect. You will still get a sting if you mash them. I've tried scooping them up but am too chicken to try the beard. Photoshop is my friend.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.