Tuesday, January 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7897, 2019-01-01

CONTESTANTS
Jonathan Dinerstein, a composer from Los Angeles, California
Maggie Byrd, a communications professional from Arlington, Virginia
Kevin Patterson, a management consultant from Cambridge, Massachusetts (whose 1-day cash winnings total $20,001)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Happy New Year, everyone. Let's hope 2019 is a great year for all of us. 2018 ended on a very nice note for our champion, Kevin, picking up $20,001. Could happen to you, Maggie. You too, Jonathan. Let's start finding out, shall we? Here comes the Jeopardy! Round, and here come the categories. First off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CHARCUTERIE (5/5)
WORLD HISTORY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THAT'S SOME STRONG LANGUAGE! (4/5)
MAKING THE ZINE (4/5)
SPORTS DRAFTS (5/5)
7 WONDERS, 4 COUNTRIES (3/5) (Alex: You have to tell us what country the wonder would be in if it were still around today.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jonathan: 10 R, 0 W
Kevin: 8 R, 1 W
Maggie: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Maggie: $3,000
Jonathan: $2,000
Kevin: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jonathan Dinerstein is the composer from Los Angeles. who was introduced first on our program today. Had an interesting wedding ceremony. You're into high-tech stuff, obviously.

Jonathan: Well, we were kind of early adopters. quadcopter drones are somewhat common these days, but we had an early model, and I had rigged up a little contraption to hold our wedding rings. And when our officiant said, "Will the ringbearer bring forth the rings?", my friend was standing in the back of the aisle. Piloted it, a little wobbly up the aisle, got up to the altar. I picked the two rings off the top, and it immediately crashed. But I had the rings.

Alex: Oh. Way to go. Good for you.

Alex: Maggie Byrd. A traveler, obviously, who once got stranded where?

Maggie: In Sorrento, Italy.

Alex: I got news for you. If you're gonna be stranded somewhere, that's not a bad place.

Maggie: Not the worst place. Yeah, I was doing study abroad when I was in college, and we had a day off. We went to the isle of Capri. My friend and I got on the boat early, thought we were fine. Got to Sorrento, realized we'd been let onto the wrong boat, all of our friends were on another boat, couldn't contact them. Very dramatic, but we got home in the end.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Kevin Patterson is our champion. She was stranded in Sorrento. You got trapped in a locker?

Kevin: I did. And the nerds did it to me.

Alex: Oh, really?

Kevin: Yeah, we were late to math class one day. But we were doing that because we were--we decided we were going to step into the lockers, and see if we could fit. They slammed the door on me. It got stuck. And then they ran off to class. Had to call 911 to get the fire department to bring an ax and bust me out.

Alex: Why is it that it's always guys who do dumb things? Oh, gosh.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Maggie found the Daily Double on the 16th clue. Kevin had $200, Maggie had $3,000, and Jonathan was at $2,000. Maggie wagered $1,000.

WORLD HISTORY $800: Paris' Museum of Jewish Art & History has the stripes that were unjustly pulled off the uniform of this capt. in 1895
(Alex: Nothing coming?)
(Maggie: No.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORLD HISTORY $600: A church in Greenland dating from around 1000 A.D. is named for Thjodhild, wife & mom of these 2 famous explorers

7 WONDERS, 4 COUNTRIES $800: Hanging Gardens of Babylon
(Maggie: What is Syria?)

7 WONDERS, 4 COUNTRIES $1000: Mausoleum of Halicarnassus

MAKING THE ZINE $1000: Razorcake is devoted to "non-profit" this angry type of rock cranked out by NOFX & Black Flag

THAT'S SOME STRONG LANGUAGE! $1000: This adjective for a muscular young man can also mean a corporal punishment once used in schools

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jonathan: $6,600
Kevin: $2,400
Maggie: $1,200
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COOL CRITTERS (4/5)
ON THE ROAD (2/4)
THE GOLDBERGS (2/3)
TEXT ALERTS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MIDDLE "C" (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE MOVIES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jonathan: 8 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Maggie: 7 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Kevin: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jonathan snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Kevin had $2,800, Maggie had $2,000, and Jonathan was at $11,800. Jonathan wagered $3,500.

TEXT ALERTS $1600: "March, or I'll put the handcuffs on you", he tells Jean Valjean

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Maggie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 15th clue. Kevin had $1,600, Maggie had $5,200, and Jonathan was at $16,100. Maggie wagered $1,200.

MIDDLE "C" $2000: In the Old Testament, this book named for a prophet follows Jonah
[Maggie shakes her head.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MIDDLE "C" $1200: In humans, this respiratory tube extends from the larynx to the bronchi

TEXT ALERTS $2000: This Poe story describes an ape, "Razor still in hand", running through the streets at 3 in the morning
(Kevin: What is "Murders of the Rue Morgue"?)

ON THE ROAD $1600: This famous fortified palace is just off Route E902 in southeast Spain

ON THE ROAD $2000: Magnolia Avenue will get you to this St. Augustine, Fla. archaeological park; tickets are $15, the spring water is free

COOL CRITTERS $1200: In 2016 beekeepers cleared 20,000 bees from a car in Wales after the bees tracked it for 2 days in order to free this
(Jonathan: What is their hive?)
(Maggie: What is honey?)

THE GOLDBERGS $1600: In 1998 Bill Goldberg won a WCW world title by defeating this mania-inducing wrestler

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jonathan: $16,500 (lock game)
Maggie: $7,200
Kevin: $5,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. NAVY SHIPS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; two-thirds for second place.
Jonathan: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,099 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Maggie: Wager $3,201 to cover Kevin.
Kevin: Risk between $0 and $1,200, and you just may move up into second place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"Peace through strength" is the motto of the U.S. aircraft carrier named for this man who professed the same policy

FINAL SCORES
Kevin: $5,200 - $1,200 = $4,000 (Who is MLK?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Maggie: $7,200 - $200 = $7,000 (Who is JFK?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jonathan: $16,500 - $0 = $16,500 (Who is Wilson?) (New champion: $16,500)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jonathan: $14,600, 18 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Maggie: $9,400, 13 R, 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Kevin: $5,200, 13 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $29,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Jonathan: 18/59 = .305
Kevin: 13/58 = .224
Maggie: 13/60 = .217
Team: 44/63 = .698

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SPORTS DRAFTS $800: In 1969 this 7'2" No. 1 draft pick of the ABA's New York Nets & the NBA's Milwaukee Bucks chose to live in Milwaukee
(Kevin: Who is Chamberlain?)

CHARCUTERIE $400: Though chorizo comes from Spain, its red color comes from this spice associated with Hungary

WORLD HISTORY $1000: Seen here in its launch year of 1954 is the U.S.S. Nautilus, the world's first one of these

MAKING THE ZINE $600: Resist! calls on readers to oppose "the normalization of" this philosophy of Mussolini
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

THE MOVIES $800: For her part in a 2017 biopic, she learned to figure-skate

MIDDLE "C" $800: Right-o! This type of broad neck scarf was named after a British horse race

MIDDLE "C" $1600: Here's one tree that thrives indoors

COOL CRITTERS $400: The lid on his N.Z. aquarium tank ajar, Inky--this cephalopod--slid to freedom down a 164-foot drainpipe into a bay
(Jonathan: What is a squid?)

ON THE ROAD $800: This distinctively narrow New York building is on 5th Avenue in Manhattan

COOL CRITTERS $1600: "Tea with Mussolini" was a fave film of Koko, this animal; at a sad part, Koko signed "frown" & "trouble"
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

COOL CRITTERS $2000: Immobilized by cramps in an arctic pool in 2009, a diver was helped to the surface by Mila, this type of white whale

THE GOLDBERGS $1200: This Bach work consists of an aria & 30 keyboard pieces & may have been named for its first performer
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Alfred Dreyfus
Erik and Leif Erikson
Iraq
Turkey
punk rock
strapping
(Inspector) Javert
Micah
trachea
"Murders in the Rue Morgue"
Alhambra
the Fountain of Youth
the queen bee
Hulk Hogan
Ronald Reagan
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (or Lew Alcindor)
paprika
a nuclear submarine
fascism
Margot Robbie
an ascot
a ficus
an octopus
the Flatiron Building
a gorilla
a beluga whale
the Goldberg Variations
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. NAVY SHIPS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
“Peace Through Strength” is the motto of the U.S. aircraft carrier named for this man who professed the same policy

Kevin Patterson: 5200-1200=4000
Maggie Byrd: 7200-200=7000
Jonathan Dinerstein: 16500-0=16500 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Ronald Reagan (Kevin – MLK) (Maggie – JFK) (Jonathan – Wilson)

Daily Doubles
Maggie: 3000-1000
Jonathan: 11800+3500
Maggie: 5200-1200

Coryats
Kevin: 5200
Maggie: 9400
Jonathan: 14600

Combined: 29,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Kevin: 2400
Maggie: 1200
Jonathan: 6600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Applause for the players as SPORTS DRAFTS had the first five clues played and each player had at least one correct in it.

The DDs were extra unfriendly to Maggie as not only were they misses, but her facial expressions indicated no recognition or chance to get the right guys. DD3 especially had some deer in the headlights twitching. I was almost reminded of myself on the DD3 in MATH that stumped me back in aught five.

The FJ! category had me hopeful for a famous battleship like the MO or AZ as I knew I had very limited knowledge. My dad who served 10 years in the Navy or my brother who likes attending fleet week events will have a slightly better chance (I would still bet on a miss) if either of them happen to watch later tonight.

The two names I wrote were Truman & Nimitz and I was feeling the motto was more likely a president so I went that way on my Dawson Crossin’. Nope, a clean miss as I did not have the right guy in the mix with the motto (quotes are not my strength) not sounding familiar.

The games lately have been good news for the 4x champs bubbling.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Nailed FJ! thanks to watching Sean Hannity, who NEVER misses an opportunity to call DT a return to "Peace Through Strength".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

On customink.com I found this post by an Adam Levine that gives some of the mottos:
Spoiler

“Teamwork, a Tradition”
-USS Nimitz (CVN-68)

“I Like Ike”
-USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69)

“We are Legend; Ready on Arrival; The First, the Finest; Eight Reactors, None Faster”
-USS Enterprise (CVN-65) – Deactivated

“Shall not Perish”
-USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72)

“Vis Per Mare” – “Strength from the Sea”
-USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70)

“Qui Plantavit Curabit” – “He who has planted will preserve.”
-USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71)

“Spirit of Freedom”
-USS George Washington (CVN-73)

“Look Ahead”
-USS John C. Stennis (CVN-74)

“The buck stops here”
-USS Harry S. Truman (CVN-75)

“Peace Through Strength”
-USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76)

“Freedom at Work”
-USS George H.W. Bush (CVN-77)
If they writers had done Lincoln I may have figured out that one.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I was on the Ike, so I knew it wasn't that one. I thought of Teddy Roosevelt and the Great White Fleet, so I just stopped there. I ran the others through my head, and didn't like the sound of any, so I didn't change it.

If they had the Enterprise's "Eight Reactors, None Faster", I would have got that one easily. It's true, too. The only ships in the fleet faster than the Enterprise were the hydrofoils. That ship could do well over 40 knots flat-out.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

FIRST MY BELOVED COLTS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS AND NOW AN ANDREW LUCK CLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice meta-clue there with "potent."

How does "Hulk Hogan" not occur to anyone?

Coryat: $37,000

J: 26R4P. Got DD. 5/5 in World History and Wonders. 4/5 in Charcuterie, Language, Zine, and Drafts (I've always thought of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as a career-long Laker, which I now know is wrong, so he never even occurred to me).

DJ: 18R8P1W. Got both DDs. 3/3 on Goldbergs. 4/5 on Critters, Text Alerts, and Middle "C." 2/4 in On the Road. 1/5 in Movies (recognized the remake and reflexively said "Ocean's Eleven," forgetting it was different for that one; Goodfellas was the only one I got correct).

FJ: Eww. Got it, but eww.

LT: Punk rock, strapping, trachea, Dreyfus, queen bee, Hulk Hogan
Last edited by Euphonium on Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

The motto rang no bells for me. I figured it had to be a president, but it sounds like something any of them could have said, especially during the Cold War. I went with Truman, since I knew he had a carrier.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I am afraid to know what kids are being taught in school if "Peace Through Strength" was a TS. :?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

The phrase is traced to Hadrian, and there is a USS Hadrian. Unfortunately, it does not get built until the 2410s.
I'm smart and I want respect.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

38 right.

Lach Trash: Erik the Red & Leif Erikson, Iraq, Turkey, punk rock, Hulk Hogan

I guessed Theodore Roosevelt instead.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

TIL the Washington Nationals exist. And the meaning of the word "charcuterie".

"Haggis" was right on the tip of my tongue, but I just couldn't pull it in time. Just barely missed a run in the category.

0/5 in Movies. None of the titles rang a bell at all.

Proud of myself for getting the Javert DD.

Couldn't think of what a bee would try to free, and was stumped after honey and hive. That was a garbage clue. Didn't know beluga either for a 3/5 in a wheelhouse.

No guess on FJ!, but it seems this one was not easy.

Lach Trash: punk rock, trachea, "Murders in the Rue Morgue", also got the Micah DD
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Somebody who knows Maggie has to go to the Ship's Hatch store (also in Arlington) and buy her something with the USS Reagan on it.

Econ: 40 knots? Really? Holy cow!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

DBear wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:34 pm I am afraid to know what kids are being taught in school if "Peace Through Strength" was a TS. :?
never heard of it and i am old..45
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

DBear wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:34 pm I am afraid to know what kids are being taught in school if "Peace Through Strength" was a TS. :?
politicized spoiler:
Spoiler
I hope they aren't teaching phony tag lines generated by a pretend conservative movement that only cared about making sure the rich and privileged got richer and more privileged. Maybe they are teaching the parts about renaming ICBM's as "peacekeeper missiles", calling Ketchup a vegetable, voodoo economics, tripling of the national debt, pointless cold war expenditures, race baiting with phony "welfare queen" narratives, ignoring the AIDS epidemic, being played by Iran to get Carter defeated, lying to Congress, using astrology to make decisions, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.
FJ was easyget, knowing about the phony phrase and that there is such a craft from a Modern Marvels episode.

Poor Maggie got sandbagged with a couple of tough DD's, and the Les Miserables one was a softball.

How did all the game details get up so quickly? Will this be a thing here now? I'm addicted to Mark's quickie syllabus of the game so I hope this routine continues. It's like reading the sports story after watching a game and finding things I didn't notice and confirming things I did.

I
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the Seven Ancient Wonders should be top of the list study material. Simple elimination means by the bottom row you've got at most 3 left to work with so it's not like "World Capitals" and you risk getting Kingstown.

Murders at the Rue Morgue. *twitch* That one hurt. On the flip side, I dredged Micah up from somewhere. (Admittedly, the category did most of the heavy lifting there.)

Nimitz here. Though I overlooked Reagan and Bush, I doubt it would've helped if I remembered them.
Last edited by Volante on Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:31 pm How did all the game details get up so quickly? Will this be a thing here now? I'm addicted to Mark's quickie syllabus of the game so I hope this routine continues. It's like reading the sports story after watching a game and finding things I didn't notice and confirming things I did.
The game was in J! Archive (including the interviews), so I copied/pasted the recap over from our backend. (Almost how things used to be a decade ago.)

I'm not usually expecting it to be ready this early, but when I see it ready, I move it over.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:42 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:31 pm How did all the game details get up so quickly? Will this be a thing here now? I'm addicted to Mark's quickie syllabus of the game so I hope this routine continues. It's like reading the sports story after watching a game and finding things I didn't notice and confirming things I did.
The game was in J! Archive (including the interviews), so I copied/pasted the recap over from our backend. (Almost how things used to be a decade ago.)

I'm not usually expecting it to be ready this early, but when I see it ready, I move it over.
You guys are the bomb! How you maintain the routine for season after season is impressive - the only routine I can maintain is my caffeine addiction! Even my two years as a J! fanboy are interrupted by many gaps. Thanks for all you do!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

For FJ I had a coin flip between Teddy Roosevelt and Reagan and went with Roosevelt as he was known for enhancing the navy and had the big stick quote.