Wednesday, January 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, January 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:29 pm "Fredo Corleone" also seemed obscure for the first box. If that name has come up before, then it sure didn't stick. Only Corleone I know is Don.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

DBear wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:39 pmI remember watching 'The Lion in Winter' in my Brit Lit class in high school, no way I would miss Thomas a Becket. :x
Just a note for you and Alex: It's Thomas Becket. No "à" in the middle. That got mistakenly added later, possibly on the analogy of Thomas à Kempis. However, the error is sufficiently common that it has become an alternate form of the name. J! will never neg you for it unless the clue explicitly references and excludes it.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:48 pm I'm giving myself credit for "manning the fort" instead of "mind the store." Matches the clue and the category, no?
I said "hold the fort". I think we both get credit.
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:25 pm
DBear wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:39 pmI remember watching 'The Lion in Winter' in my Brit Lit class in high school, no way I would miss Thomas a Becket. :x
Just a note for you and Alex: It's Thomas Becket. No "à" in the middle. That got mistakenly added later, possibly on the analogy of Thomas à Kempis. However, the error is sufficiently common that it has become an alternate form of the name. J! will never neg you for it unless the clue explicitly references and excludes it.
Most of this went through my mind at the time, though with fewer details. "War of the Roses" and "Center for Disease Control" seem to be accepted routinely, as well.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:48 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:25 pm
Most of this went through my mind at the time, though with fewer details. "War of the Roses" and "Center for Disease Control" seem to be accepted routinely, as well.
Also Daylight Savings Time. But NOT Revelations or A Midsummer's Night's Dream. There are limits.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Poor Jordan - 'ya gotta stay clam on those $2000 clues. I was floored that "Home on the Range" was chosen by Kansas. For $200, I would have Wagged through Wyoming, Colorado and Montana first. It is semi-negbait to have such a juicy TOM that has so many better guesses.

PSA -
Spoiler
It turns out the songwriter was an Ohio transplant that moved to Kansas. So, antelopes once lived there, died out, and have recovered so that 70 of them were taken by hunters last year. Oh, and they are the fastest animal in the western hemisphere (citation: hutchnews.com). They don't like to jump and climb under fences.
From wiki:
The pronghorn (Antilocapra americana) is a species of artiodactyl mammal indigenous to interior western and central North America. Though not an antelope, it is often known colloquially in North America as ... As a member of the superfamily Giraffoidea, the pronghorn's closest living relatives are the giraffes and okapi.
That damn stone of scone again. Another tough break although I would expect any contestant to have at least seen and studied the last two years of shows and the earlier FJ on this should have aired before this taping.

No shot at FJ for me. I'd have wagged Tolkein if I thought of it, went with Lewis just to have an answer. Dunno the name of the Winnie the Pooh creator, and didn't know Chris Robin was the real boy's name.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Another one for Tolkien. The names sounded more Tolkienesque to me. My wife came up with Milne.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:22 pm From October:
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:46 pm One more for Blarney Stone. I need to move Stone of Scone closer to the front of my mental rolodex.
LOL, hi there 3rd Daily Double. Not even gonna embarrass myself by revealing what I guessed today.
I missed on it last time with Blarney. But I thought I heard Alex pronounce it exactly phonetically today, instead of "Scoon" as I've always thought it was prounounced in the U.K. Are my ears acting up?

.... and I suppose if the Blarney stone ever disintegrates, we'll be left with Blarney rubble ......
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

If they had a Jeopardy movie the role of Jonathan would be played by Paul Giamatti.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

harrumph wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:15 am If they had a Jeopardy movie the role of Jonathan would be played by Paul Giamatti.
That's what I said. My wife said Gary Dell'Abate, but I don't see it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:42 pm Another one for Tolkien. The names sounded more Tolkienesque to me. My wife came up with Milne.
I, too, got Tolkien to the cleaners on that one.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:48 pmMost of this went through my mind at the time, though with fewer details. "War of the Roses" and "Center for Disease Control" seem to be accepted routinely, as well.
Or simply, “War of Roses,” as it was here.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

harrumph wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:15 am If they had a Jeopardy movie the role of Jonathan would be played by Paul Giamatti.
And Jordan would be played by Liev Schreiber.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:59 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:42 pm Another one for Tolkien. The names sounded more Tolkienesque to me. My wife came up with Milne.
I, too, got Tolkien to the cleaners on that one.
Tolkien seems to have lots of company while I stand by my contention that he was out because of the mashup clue with Baggins. There is no rule that the FJ! round cannot have some kind of duplicate that relates to the previous rounds, but I think the writers were trying to help the players in eliminating someone they thought could be a trap response.

Of course all of that is useless to those that start off their day playing the FJ! clue and get to the rest of the game at a later time. Those are not proper studio conditions though. When playing for real it's see the category, several minutes break and then the clue is revealed. All of that is after having gone through the J! round & DJ! round.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I have no idea what made me think that the answer was going to be a member of the royal family and not even an author. I think "1990s British death" pushed my brain in the direction of Diana and had me stuck there.

What was the TOM anyway? Or do you just have to know that's when Christopher Robin died?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

9021amyers wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:04 pm I blurted out the Field Museum before realizing that’s Chicago’s history museum.
Natural history museum. Not to be confused with the famous and fabulous Chicago History Museum.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:35 am I have no idea what made me think that the answer was going to be a member of the royal family and not even an author. I think "1990s British death" pushed my brain in the direction of Diana and had me stuck there.

What was the TOM anyway? Or do you just have to know that's when Christopher Robin died?
...“The Enchanted Places” & “The Hollow on the Hill”

It's more to work backwards as those titles sound kind of fanciful. From there think of famous British authors that wrote about make-believe places. Most people seemed to immediately get a sense of either Milne or Tolkien as they had famous enough sons. Christopher Robin is a recent movie and Christopher Tolkien has worked on things his dad wrote. The advantage on the coin flip went to those who knew Christopher Tolkien was still living.

There have been mentions of Carroll and Lewis. It would be no crime to add in others. It was a clue that did not require knowing the titles or death year. It could be solved by thinking fantasy place writers. It's Jeopardy! and the FJ! round, so the writers have a small well. It's going to be one those names that comes up over and over again. The only twist was it was a son.

It's not a good clue for you as you do not like "smell what the J! writers are cooking" clues.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:48 pm I'm giving myself credit for "manning the fort" instead of "mind the store." Matches the clue and the category, no?
You didn't ask for a judge's ruling, but I hereby unofficially rule you correct, because 1) it does meet the clue requirements and b) um, well, that's what I said as well. :roll:
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I said Tolkein as well. poop.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

That idioms category was maddening. I probably should have paused after each clue to give me some time to think, but that's not how the game is played. I missed all but "bet the farm" - I simply couldn't figure them out fast enough. But all were familiar to me.

FJ! instantly took me to Winnie the Pooh - knew the boy in the stories was named for the author's son, fitting the famous part of the clue. The year of his death would fit for someone who was a child in the 1920s. Enchanted place and Hollow on the Hill are places in the Winnie the Pooh stories. When my son was a baby, we decorated his room in a Winnie the Pooh theme. Yes! I've got this one cold.

Now that boy's name is ... is ... ummm ... well ... [clock ticking away] ... "Hey, son, what is the name of the boy in Winnie the Pooh?" ... [music ends] :oops:

I shouldn't watch the show in the mornings. I'm just not a morning person. My brain needs time to warm up properly.
--Peter
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

53 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Diamonds, Juneau, Kansas, Art Institute of Chicago, Coats of Arms, Thomas-A-Beckett, 53, (Scone)

Only misses were Arrival, Mend Fences, Mind the Store, Corrugated, Coconut Water(Negged with Cola), and that muppet who I could picture but couldn't remember his name.

Had it not been for Alex's French pronunciation of Alencon, I might not have gotten the lace clue.
Douglas Squasoni