Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1011
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:26 am

morbeedo wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:32 pm
I expected a reversal after Cade's response of "immunodeficiency" for the "two words" represented by the ID in AIDS, but nope
I half-expected it as well. I prefer looser judging myself. Maybe they have seen an alternate etymology.

Instaget FJ. Chuckled at "Blitzkrieg", but it actually is a good guess.

I think Jonathon is going to push through to 5 games. Very steady player. Funny when he realized his Alamo answer was bogus.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4245
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:28 am

I remember hearing a story within the last couple years, probably on NPR's "All Things Considered" about Halvorsen. I'm sure I would have gotten it anyway. It was more or less a WECIB?

edit: I suspect it was this

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6181
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:39 am

Elijah Baley wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:37 pm
Maybe they didn't have history classes when Alex was a kid?
Well, of course not. It was still Current Events.

User avatar
AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:48 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:16 am

econgator wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:15 am
Euphonium wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:57 pm
Ruling on "mulch" instead of "compost"?
Was that one that had to start with C (or Co)? I forget.
Volante wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:40 pm
I was trying to decide between 'air drop' and 'air lift' (settled on air drop) because...well...technically they were dropping supplies into, not lifting them out of, Berlin...
True, but the process of dropping them is called an airlift.
To be pedantic, "airlift" is simply the transport of supplies or personnel by aircraft. The USAF and commercial airlines airlift hundreds of thousands of people and millions of pounds of cargo every day. "Airdrop" is a specific way of delivering those supplies or people -- the aircraft doesn't land, but the cargo or personnel do. Usually by parachute, but not always (at least for cargo).

Airdrop with chutes:


Airdrop delivery using LAPES (Low Altitude Parachute Extraction System). The tank hits the ground pretty hard:


During the Berlin Airlift (which was actually codenamed Operation Vittles, so I hope the judges would have accepted it), supplies were airlifted into Berlin during the Soviet blockade of the three land routes into the city from West Germany, but the only airdrops that were performed were by Halvorson when he threw candy out of the cockpit window attached to handkerchief parachute.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5752
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:28 am

morbeedo wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:32 pm
I expected a reversal after Cade's response of "immunodeficiency" for the "two words" represented by the ID in AIDS, but nope

HIV: human immunodeficiency virus
AIDS: acquired immune deficiency syndrome

Obviously, he knows what the letters stand for, but the judging on Jeopardy! is all over the place
"Medically speaking, we'd like you to I.D. the letters I & D in AIDS"

User avatar
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)
Posts: 1971
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by OrangeSAM » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:46 am

Euphonium wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:57 pm
Thought we'd get a Monday Night Football category in DJ.
I'm for it, but one of the clues has to be:
"Dandy" Don Meredith once told the TV audience that a disgruntled fan making this gesture on camera meant "We're number 1."
OCSam

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:13 am

Re: Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Peter the accountant » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:51 am

I was right with Jonathan answering the name of the mission/fort and almost immediately realizing that wasn't the name of the city. C'est la vie. At least I knew what show Howie Mandel hosts besides AGT.

For FJ, my first thought was the airlift, but I thought that happened in the 50s. I knew 48-49 was too early for anything significant in Korea, so that was out. Fortunately, I couldn't think of anything else, so went with it anyway. Today I learned when the airlift happened - and got lucky again.
--Peter

User avatar
kerryoakie
Valued Contributor
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:34 am

Re: Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by kerryoakie » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:07 am

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:28 am
I remember hearing a story within the last couple years, probably on NPR's "All Things Considered" about Halvorsen. I'm sure I would have gotten it anyway. It was more or less a WECIB?

edit: I suspect it was this
Thank you, Kirk!! I knew I had heard this story somewhat recently. After FJ, I was digging through my brain bank trying to remember where I had heard this story--it was definitely ATC.

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2266
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:43 am

morbeedo wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:32 pm

I did love his Gillian Anderson / Agent Scully gender-bending cosplay story
That's quite the visual image all right, but I kept wondering if this grown man is still out trick-or-treating?

Then when he misplaced the Alamo in Austin instead of San Antonio, he lost me as a fan altogether. Sorry, Cade, but in some parts of the world a Yankee mistake like that gets you shot.

And people here have already pointed out: why would Chrissy bother to get on the game and try so hard, only to go into FJ with only one realistic chance of winning, and then walk away from that one chance by the way-too-small FJ wager?? Deep sigh....

I managed to get 3-for-3 on DDs and instaget FJ, plus LT on San Antonio and Deal or No Deal, a meager $800.

Odd coincidence moment of the night: I found my wife watching one of the TV dramas located in Chicago, and one of the characters was in a uniform sporting on the right shoulder a patch of Chicago's city flag with 4 stars on it. I said, "Hey! I just saw that on J!."

Many congrats to Jonathan, not only for busting the one-and-done carousel, but for making it into the J! Players Hall of Fame with his total of $62K+ and still playing. Good on you, man!

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4245
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:17 am

John Boy wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:43 am
Odd coincidence moment of the night: I found my wife watching one of the TV dramas located in Chicago, and one of the characters was in a uniform sporting on the right shoulder a patch of Chicago's city flag with 4 stars on it. I said, "Hey! I just saw that on J!."
Chicagoans take a lot of pride in their flag. Most major cities have their own flag design, but it seems like very few are seen much beyond perhaps flying outside City Hall. In Chicago you see the flag all over.

User avatar
Euphonium
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:58 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Euphonium » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:40 am

econgator wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:15 am
Euphonium wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:57 pm
Ruling on "mulch" instead of "compost"?
Was that one that had to start with C (or Co)? I forget.
No. Category was "What's That Smell?" and clue was "It's this mixture of decaying plant matter like grass & leaf clippings that's good as a soil fertilizer but bad for my nose."
In any dispute between labor and management, the workers are always right.

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 1734
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:59 am

seaborgium wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:28 am
morbeedo wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:32 pm
I expected a reversal after Cade's response of "immunodeficiency" for the "two words" represented by the ID in AIDS, but nope

HIV: human immunodeficiency virus
AIDS: acquired immune deficiency syndrome

Obviously, he knows what the letters stand for, but the judging on Jeopardy! is all over the place
"Medically speaking, we'd like you to I.D. the letters I & D in AIDS"
Yes, TY, that was the precise wording of the clue. But do you think he should have been negged? I'm neutral on the lack of reversal, but the letters I & D don't stand for "immunodeficiency". Agree with Twelve Foot Boy that the response is good enough, if not technically correct

I couldn't pull San Antonio for the Alamo locale. And then right after this, I watched the 9/27 episode with the FJ about the Alamo and got confused why they keep asking about it

User avatar
harrumph
Voyeur
Posts: 1581
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:00 pm
Location: Princeton, NJ

Re: Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by harrumph » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:03 pm

OrangeSAM wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:46 am
Euphonium wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:57 pm
Thought we'd get a Monday Night Football category in DJ.
I'm for it, but one of the clues has to be:
"Dandy" Don Meredith once told the TV audience that a disgruntled fan making this gesture on camera meant "We're number 1."
SpoilerShow

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Sharp As A Tack
Posts: 568
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:13 pm

57 R (Hills Brothers being my only miss.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Dodgeball, Deal or No Deal, Window, San Antonio

Deal or No Deal a Stumper?!?!? :shock:

Had an easy time with this board today. Pretty popular Pop Culture and Business.
Known in the real world as Douglas Squasoni.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3101
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:20 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:59 am
seaborgium wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:28 am
morbeedo wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:32 pm
I expected a reversal after Cade's response of "immunodeficiency" for the "two words" represented by the ID in AIDS, but nope

HIV: human immunodeficiency virus
AIDS: acquired immune deficiency syndrome

Obviously, he knows what the letters stand for, but the judging on Jeopardy! is all over the place
"Medically speaking, we'd like you to I.D. the letters I & D in AIDS"
Yes, TY, that was the precise wording of the clue. But do you think he should have been negged? I'm neutral on the lack of reversal, but the letters I & D don't stand for "immunodeficiency". Agree with Twelve Foot Boy that the response is good enough, if not technically correct
The NIH is one of many sources that call it Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome-
https://aidsinfo.nih.gov/understanding- ... y-syndrome
Mayo Clinic is another-
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20373524

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 1734
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:48 pm

davey wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:20 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:59 am
seaborgium wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:28 am
morbeedo wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:32 pm
I expected a reversal after Cade's response of "immunodeficiency" for the "two words" represented by the ID in AIDS, but nope

HIV: human immunodeficiency virus
AIDS: acquired immune deficiency syndrome

Obviously, he knows what the letters stand for, but the judging on Jeopardy! is all over the place
"Medically speaking, we'd like you to I.D. the letters I & D in AIDS"
Yes, TY, that was the precise wording of the clue. But do you think he should have been negged? I'm neutral on the lack of reversal, but the letters I & D don't stand for "immunodeficiency". Agree with Twelve Foot Boy that the response is good enough, if not technically correct
The NIH is one of many sources that call it Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome-
https://aidsinfo.nih.gov/understanding- ... y-syndrome
Mayo Clinic is another-
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20373524
Oh, interesting! Thanks for clarifying. My reason for posting is that the judging seems really inconsistent. In a past season, they asked for just the I in HIV, so this one piqued my interest

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5752
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:29 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:48 pm
davey wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:20 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:59 am
seaborgium wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:28 am
morbeedo wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:32 pm
I expected a reversal after Cade's response of "immunodeficiency" for the "two words" represented by the ID in AIDS, but nope

HIV: human immunodeficiency virus
AIDS: acquired immune deficiency syndrome

Obviously, he knows what the letters stand for, but the judging on Jeopardy! is all over the place
"Medically speaking, we'd like you to I.D. the letters I & D in AIDS"
Yes, TY, that was the precise wording of the clue. But do you think he should have been negged? I'm neutral on the lack of reversal, but the letters I & D don't stand for "immunodeficiency". Agree with Twelve Foot Boy that the response is good enough, if not technically correct
The NIH is one of many sources that call it Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome-
https://aidsinfo.nih.gov/understanding- ... y-syndrome
Mayo Clinic is another-
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20373524
Oh, interesting! Thanks for clarifying. My reason for posting is that the judging seems really inconsistent. In a past season, they asked for just the I in HIV, so this one piqued my interest
Acronyms don't necessarily have a 1-to-1 ratio of letters to words (see radar for another example).

I remember one of the first times I heard of AIDS in the 1990s, it was in printed material that spelled out what the acronym stood for and specified that the ID could be "immune deficiency" or "immunodeficiency."

User avatar
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test
Posts: 669
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:16 am

Re: Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Rackme32 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:50 pm

TIL that at least some cities have their own flags. I am vexed. ::: running now :::

However, there were plenty of TOM's in the category and I went 5/5. I even started to make the Alamo mistake, but caught myself and also knew it wasn't Austin...

Overall I did well, until FJ.

I've kindasorta heard the term Berlin Airlift, but knew nothing about it, including what decade it occurred in.

Oh, I also said "mulch" for the compost question.
Last edited by Rackme32 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7056
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:46 pm

Catching up. Took mom ot see Bob Seger, and work was insanely busy today, so I'm just now catching up.

Ran Crossword Clues.

Typo in TV for $600. The word "of" had a lowercase F in it.

Precalled "rodent" in the squirrel category. Also ran that one.

All but Jamaica in Smell.

Didn't recognize anything in that DJ! book category except, strangely enough, "Love in the Time of Cholera" in the top box. "The Stand" seemed obscure for the top box.

Also ran Renditions and Acronyms.

No guess on FJ! Correct response is familiar, but clue led me nowhere.

Lach Trash: "Deal or No Deal", San Antonio
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1423
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 am
Location: Atlanta

Re: Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by 9021amyers » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:53 pm

Rackme32 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:50 pm
TIL that at least cities have their own flags. I am vexed. ::: running now :::
Chicago’s flag is the exception, not the rule. City flags are the worst.


Post Reply