Friday, January 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7900, 2019-01-04

CONTESTANTS
Chelsea Hill, an administrative assistant from Brooklyn, New York
Robert Perez, a proposal manager from Fairfield, Iowa
Jonathan Dinerstein, a composer from Los Angeles, California (whose 3-day cash winnings total $62,902)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, all. Thank you, Johnny. If you've been watching carefully the last two days, you have a pretty good idea as to how our champion Jonathan wagers in Final Jeopardy!--bet to beat 'em by a buck if they double. Chelsea and Robert, you're warned. Let's go to work. Categories in play as of this moment...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
2019 HOLIDAYS & OBSERVANCES (3/4)
SUMMING UP THE SHAKESPEARE PLAY (5/5)
ALLITERATION (4/5)
19th CENTURY OCCUPATIONS (5/5)
GEOGRAPHICALLY SPEAKING (3/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GOTTA RUN! (3/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jonathan: 12 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Robert: 8 R, 0 W
Chelsea: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jonathan: $4,800
Robert: $1,200
Chelsea: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Some of our Jeopardy! players become fans of the program very, very young. Chelsea Hill, from Brooklyn, New York. You knew a correct response to a Jeopardy! clue when you were how old?

Chelsea: I was about 8. I was in the second grade.

Alex: Do you remember what the clue was?

Chelsea: It was something about one of the moons of Jupiter, I think.

Alex: Really?

Chelsea: And we had just been learning about space in school, so, you know, I knew it pretty right away and impressed my family.

Alex: I should say so, and here you are today as a contestant. That should impress your family also.

Chelsea: It does.

Alex: Robert Perez, a proposal manager from Fairfield, Iowa. Once qualified for a national tournament in what?

Robert: In domestic extemporaneous speaking.

Alex: How do you get tested for that? I mean, you could prepare for that in advance, but it all depends on whether they give you the category, right?

Robert: You draw a slip of paper.

Alex: Ah.

Robert: And it has a general topic on it, and then you--

Alex: Give me an example of what--

Robert: Well, at the time, it would have been a talk about Al Gore's environmental policy. He was the vice president back then. So then you had 30 minutes to prepare and give a 7-minute speech to a room full of high school judges.

Alex: That's tough. Did you win? How did you do?

Robert: I made the national tournament. I didn't make it past the initial rounds, though. But it was a fun experience.

Alex: Okay. I'm sure it was.

Alex: Jonathan Dinerstein is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. You and I have something in common. We have both gotten to enjoy a special kind of airplane flight.

Jonathan: Yes. My wife, for a birthday present, drove me out to a little airfield out here in Calabasas, where they have some historic airplanes. And I got to fly in an open cockpit World War II training plane.

Alex: Do you remember what plane it was?

Jonathan: It was a Fairchild trainer, I believe.

Alex: Aha.

Jonathan: I could be wrong. You know, it was the one with the two cockpits. The pilot was in front, and I was behind them. And don't tell anyone, but he--he let me fly. He let me make a turn.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jonathan found the Daily Double on the 26th clue. Jonathan had $5,800, Robert had $4,200, and Chelsea was at $1,800. Jonathan wagered $3,000.

GEOGRAPHICALLY SPEAKING $800: Originally it was the upper fortified part of any Greek city, not just the capital

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GOTTA RUN! $400: In 1996 Michael Johnson ran this distance in 19.32 seconds, a record that stood for 12 years
(Jonathan: What is 100 meters?)

ALLITERATION $1000: In other words, a Native American's calumet

2019 HOLIDAYS & OBSERVANCES $800: Pack up the kids on Thursday, April 25 & take them here, not to the playground
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

GEOGRAPHICALLY SPEAKING $1000: Have the "muscle" to name these underwater sandbars that can damage boats
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jonathan: $8,800
Robert: $4,200
Chelsea: $1,800
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, January 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS (4/5) (Alex: You can watch them this Sunday.)
THE NORMAN INVASION (3/4)
CAUTIONARY MALE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
QUOTABLE POTABLES (4/5)
BOOK OF THE YEAR (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GOTTA RUN! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Chelsea: 9 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Robert: 8 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Jonathan: 8 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Chelsea snagged the next Daily Double on the 20th clue. Jonathan had $12,800, Robert had $9,000, and Chelsea was at $6,600. Chelsea wagered $3,000.

CAUTIONARY MALE $2000: Casanova embodied this 9-letter term whose name comes from the Latin for "free"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Robert who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Jonathan had $14,000, Robert had $12,600, and Chelsea was at $9,600. Robert wagered $2,500.

BOOK OF THE YEAR $800: Virginia Cowles' book titled this year describes the end of 2 little Balkan wars; the next year, a big one began
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
QUOTABLE POTABLES $800: Wilkie Collins, in "The Woman in White": "My hour for" this "is half-past five, and my buttered toast waits for nobody"
(Jonathan: What is coffee?)
(Robert: What is wine?)

GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS $2000: During his acceptance speech for the Cecil B. DeMille award, this legendary British actor accidentally broke it

THE NORMAN INVASION $2000: This celebrated soprano has served on the board of trustees for Carnegie Hall & Howard University
(Chelsea: Who is Price?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jonathan: $15,200
Robert: $15,100
Chelsea: $10,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TRANSPORTATION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Jonathan: Wager $15,001 to cover Robert.
Robert: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Chelsea, hoping that you give the correct response and Jonathan doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $6,501 to cover Chelsea's doubled score, but no more than $14,900 if you want to top Jonathan on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $4,299 and win if both Jonathan and Chelsea miss Final.
Chelsea: If you think Robert is going to wager to cover you, try wagering less than $2,200 to beat Jonathan and Robert on the Triple Stumper; or, if you think Robert is going to wager small in hopes of a Triple Stumper, wager between $4,301 (venusian, to top a $0 wager by Robert) and $10,800 (martian, which may win in some cases but may also risk dropping you from second to third place if you get Final wrong).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Carretera Transistmica, AKA the Boyd-Roosevelt highway, runs parallel to this waterway

FINAL SCORES
Chelsea: $10,800 - $0 = $10,800 (What is the Adriatic Sea) (2nd place: $2,000)
Robert: $15,100 - $7,100 = $8,000 (What is the Mystic River) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jonathan: $15,200 + $15,199 = $30,399 (What is the Panama Canal?) (4-day champion: $93,301)
(Alex: [To Jonathan] Boyd was president of Panama at the time. Roosevelt, of course, the reference to Teddy.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Robert: $13,400, 16 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Jonathan: $13,000, 20 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Chelsea: $9,800, 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $36,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Jonathan: 21/59 = .356
Robert: 16/59 = .271
Chelsea: 12/59 = .203
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ALLITERATION $400: Pass the baton; it's the type of event taking place here

GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS $1200: When Ving Rhames won for "Don King: Only in America", he called this actor up & respectfully gave him the award

GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS $400: With six, this man has the most wins as Best TV Actor, Comedy or Musical, all for his role on "M*A*S*H"

THE NORMAN INVASION $800: He's the artist seen here at work in his studio

QUOTABLE POTABLES $1200: Drink flows freely in this Biblical "Song" book; verse 2 says, "Thy love is better than wine"
(Jonathan: What is Psalms?)

BOOK OF THE YEAR $2000: Roger Crowley has lived in Istanbul & wrote "1453: The Holy War for" this city
(Chelsea: What is Jerusalem?)

CAUTIONARY MALE $400: Yosemite Sam was known to refer to others as these, a variant of "vermin"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
an acropolis
200 meters
peace pipe
work
shoals
libertine
tea
Sir Laurence Olivier
Jessye Norman
the Panama Canal
a relay race
Jack Lemmon
Alan Alda
Norman Rockwell
Song of Solomon
Constantinople
varmints
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TRANSPORTATION

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Carretera Transistmica, aka the Boyd-Roosevelt Highway, runs parallel to this waterway

Jonathan Dinerstein: 15200+15199=30399 (4x = $93,301)
Robert Perez: 15100-7100=8000
Chelsea Hill: 10800-0=10800

Correct response:
Spoiler
Panama Canal (Robert – Mystic River) (Chelsea – Adriatic Sea)

Daily Doubles
Jonathan: 5800+3000
Chelsea: 6600+3000
Robert: 12600+2500

Coryats
Jonathan: 13000
Robert: 13400
Chelsea: 9800

Combined: 36,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jonathan: 8800
Robert: 4200
Chelsea: 1800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Each player was on the board after three clues and each player had a correct DD response, so I'm not surprised they all had five figures going into the FJ! round.

That was not Jonathan's best game as he just eked out the lead for the FJ! round and he may have been running a little low on fuel after playing four consecutive games. Did not matter since he had the sole solve of the FJ! clue.

Like yesterday, Jonathan seemed to have another miss he wanted right back when he had the wrong distance for Michael Johnson's 19 secs and change.

Alex's opening remarks in giving away Jonathan's "strategy" could go on a t-shirt? "Bet to beat 'em by a buck if they double." Naturally Jonathan today bet more than that amount.

The FJ! clue was a kind of a red ink special for me as did "Roosevelt" & "waterway" to get the right place. The rest was not going to mean anything to me. The challenger misses showed just how wide open the clue was when not knowing where to go.

Chelsea's defeat leaves the Archive still without a winner with that first name, though with a small sample and all of the games not in.

Jonathan's spot on the tracker:
Spoiler

1 - 11: tourney champs (including upcoming May 2019), 5x & above, and Dave Leffler 4x $100,102
12. Jonathan
13. Alex Schmidt 4x $92,880
14. Jackie Fuchs 4x $87,089
15. Mary Ann Borer 4x $86,500
alternate: Kyle Becker 4x $67,802
Edited to shorten the post and as a courtesy to hide names for those who may be caught up currently though behind earlier in the season.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Congrats to Jonathan on another good win. Two more to match Alex Jacob, who I compared him to a couple days ago.

I got FJ right and I'm glad I did. Prevented a shutout for myself this week. Even more satisfying that I managed to get it right when it wasn't a triple-get.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:32 am Alex's opening remarks in giving away Jonathan's "strategy" could go on a t-shirt? "Bet to beat 'em by a buck if they double." Naturally Jonathan today bet more than that amount.
Well, yeah. Once Alex blabbed, Jonathan couldn't rely on that strategy anymore. He had to protect against the possibility that his opponents would bet to MORE than double.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Only one of 3? You were essentially spotted "trans isthmus".
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:18 pm Well, yeah. Once Alex blabbed, Jonathan couldn't rely on that strategy anymore. He had to protect against the possibility that his opponents would bet to MORE than double.
Well that explains what AP was going on about in that other thread ;) (j/k)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought "A Midsummer Nights Dream" was a tough pick for the top box. That one's not nearly as pavlovian as some other Shakespeare plays.

0/5 in Run and Shakespeare.

All but Milliner in Jobs.

"Take them here, not to the playground" just felt way too wide open.

They Might Be Giants helped me get Istanbul, Not Constantinople for $2,000.

Hispanic name + Roosevelt + waterway = Panama Canal. How did Alex think this was difficult, and how was it only 1/3?!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Couldn't puzzle out the Latin. Roosevelt pointed me to New York, and I tried to decide between the Hudson River & the Erie Canal.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

32 right.

No Lach Trash.

Instaget FJ.

Alex's accent helped with Chekhov, and I guessed Titus Andronicus since I had just learned it had the highest body count among Shakespeare plays, with fourteen.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

DBear wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:32 pm Couldn't puzzle out the Latin.
Probably because that was Spanish.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Jupiter and Saturn, Oberon, Miranda, and Titania...

A Titus Andronicus clue that doesn't reference pies? I'm shocked!

Has anyone ever actually celebrated Grandparents' Day outside of a pre-K/kindergarten classroom?

How is mason the $1000 clue?

Not a fan of calling Athens the "capital" here. Like, the ancient Mediterranean is absolutely not my field, but still I feel like the writers don't necessarily grasp the basics of Greek political organization.

ALAN ALDA I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coryat: $41,800

J: 22R4P1W. Got DD. 5/5 on Alliteration and Occupations. 4/4 on Geographically Speaking. 3/4 on Gotta Run (missed UNLV, said Ole Miss even though I was incredibly certain that they had never won a championship in basketball). 3/5 on Shakespeare. 2/4 on Holidays (50/50 on Alaska vs. Hawaii and I wasn't feeling lucky so I shut up).

DJ: 24R3P1W. 5/5 on Quotable and Gotta Run. 4/4 on Book. 4/5 on Cautionary Male. 3/4 on Norman Invasion (I thought Leontyne Price for a moment, until I noticed that that photograph didn't look old enough to be Leontyne Price when she would have been that young). 3/5 in Golden Globe (said "Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" instead of "The Crown")

FJ: Got it. Had Amazon for a bit (while I don't know either language, there are some distinguishing orthographic patterns I've picked up on that allow me to tell Spanish from Portugese if they're present, but none of them were in that name) until I connected Roosevelt to the Canal.

LT: 200m, peace pipe (I remembered Indiana History, Mrs. Caldemeyer!), shoals, tea, Laurence Olivier
Last edited by Euphonium on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

For FJ the Spanish language and Roosevelt at first had me thinking that the highway was a New Deal project in California, but then I remembered the Teddy Roosevelt connection to the canal, which of course explained why the clue included Spanish.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:28 pm Only one of 3? You were essentially spotted "trans isthmus".
Right. Because we all learned in Spanish 1 how to say "Yo quiero taco bell" for "I want the trots", and "Hago un transistmica" for "I make an isthmus". Then we go to Geography class to learn what an isthmus isth.

Nice clue, but hardly a freebie for the Spanish - Carreteria is recognizable to a freshman student, but you already know it's a highway from the Yankee name. I started with the Rio Grande, didn't like the prospects, and somehow hit the isthmus.

Jonathan keeps on trucking, and I like how he took the extra 199 bucks from Alex today. It was house money at that point.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:15 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:28 pm Only one of 3? You were essentially spotted "trans isthmus".
Right. Because we all learned in Spanish 1 how to say "Yo quiero taco bell" for "I want the trots", and "Hago un transistmica" for "I make an isthmus". Then we go to Geography class to learn what an isthmus isth.

Nice clue, but hardly a freebie for the Spanish - Carreteria is recognizable to a freshman student, but you already know it's a highway from the Yankee name. I started with the Rio Grande, didn't like the prospects, and somehow hit the isthmus.

Jonathan keeps on trucking, and I like how he took the extra 199 bucks from Alex today. It was house money at that point.
I didn't even get as far as 'Spanish'...My train went "Okay, that language is outside the US. Roosevelt project outside the US? Panama Canal. DONE!"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:24 pm I thought "A Midsummer Nights Dream" was a tough pick for the top box. That one's not nearly as pavlovian as some other Shakespeare plays.

0/5 in Run and Shakespeare.

All but Milliner in Jobs.

"Take them here, not to the playground" just felt way too wide open.

They Might Be Giants helped me get Istanbul, Not Constantinople for $2,000.

Hispanic name + Roosevelt + waterway = Panama Canal. How did Alex think this was difficult, and how was it only 1/3?!
billy shake 101...i even got that one
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

instaget final jepopardy...roosevelt was the 1st sitting president to leave the country and went to panama and played around on a digging machine when the canal was being built
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Is one of the clue writers from Michigan? This week we had the National Cherry Festival, Henry Ford, Barry Sanders, and Jessye Norman (who got her master's from the University of Michigan in the late 1960s and occasionally performs in Ann Arbor).

Sanders is one of two Hall of Fame-level players who retired from the Detroit Lions in his prime rather than put up with a losing organization. The other is Calvin ("Megatron") Johnson.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:32 am
Alex's opening remarks in giving away Jonathan's "strategy" could go on a t-shirt? "Bet to beat 'em by a buck if they double." Naturally Jonathan today bet more than that amount.
Is it possible AT is amazed that some contestant finally figured out that that is a good FJ wagering strategy? :roll: