Monday, January 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

jev15
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:20 pm

Re: Monday, January 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jev15 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:44 pm

Being half Scottish definitely helped make this FJ easier for me. If you ever find yourself in Edinburgh, the Writer's Museum there has a lot of artifacts from Stevenson's time in Samoa.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5882
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Monday, January 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:44 pm

I said Nebulizer instead of Atomizer. I think it's probably no good, since the clue said "spray," and the fine mist of a nebulizer just sort of wafts out of the machine.

Meredith's extra dollar withheld could have been fateful under different circumstances, namely a sole get by her and a wager by Zorn to cover her by $1; he would have won $10,399 to $10,398.

It's too bad when a good player loses from the lead in a triple miss; so much the worse that it's someone I know, at a juncture where the loss might keep him out of a ToC.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3182
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Monday, January 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:52 pm

This triple-stumper FJ reminds me of one from a couple months ago that some thought obscure, about Sherlock Holmes. I thought everybody read Robert Louis Stevenson as a kid, at least "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde." I had "Hyde" in a book with other stories, some taking place in Samoa. And I was fascinated that he died of "consumption" in a place so far away.
Before the short stories there was "A Child's Garden of Verses."
When I was sick and lay a-bed,
I had two pillows at my head,
And all my toys beside me lay
To keep me happy all the day.
And sometimes for an hour or so
I watched my leaden soldiers go,
With different uniforms and drills,
Among the bed-clothes, through the hills;
And sometimes sent my ships in fleets
All up and down among the sheets;
Or brought my trees and houses out,
And planted cities all about.
I was the giant great and still
That sits upon the pillow-hill,
And sees before him, dale and plain,
The pleasant land of counterpane.

OK, a little simpering I suppose for a modern taste. An early literary influence for me, though...

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 1901
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Monday, January 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:09 pm

I can forgive the Aristophanes TS, but not Tanzania!

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8795
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Monday, January 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:10 pm

The FJ! clue seems like one where the writers could have had 19th CENTURY AUTHORS and Alex knowing the Samoa/Stevenson connection so well could have led a switch to 19th CENTURY NOTABLES?

For Jonathan & the TOC? It's not a great position with so much time left in the season yet it's better than the 4xers he surpassed.

For when the TOC will be held? I checked here and on Reddit and found fairly recent postings by the 6xer, so I suspect he's not at one-month warning yet. And probably not even close yet.

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Monday, January 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:26 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:44 pm
I said Nebulizer instead of Atomizer. I think it's probably no good, since the clue said "spray," and the fine mist of a nebulizer just sort of wafts out of the machine.
I should do the research instead of giving two cents, but I think nebulizer would have to be OK. Atomizers don't really atomize and it's just a matter of semantics imho.

I started with Darwin, decided he probably wasn't native Scot and picked the Pavlov Scot Robert Burns. TIL that RLS was Scottish - I would have guessed American. This is pure YEKIOYD with no helpful TOM.

Tough break for Jonathan but this could be the beginning of some amping up of the FJ clues.

signed,
the Befuddlelizer
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

User avatar
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal
Posts: 1686
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:55 am
Location: Rolla, MO

Re: Monday, January 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Linear Gnome » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:31 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:38 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:34 pm
dude from the shows boston legal and the blacklist
Neither show name rings a bell for me.
I think the most memorable thing about Boston Legal was William Shatner as Denny Crane. If that doesn't ring a bell, you probably didn't see the show.

User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 1029
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: Monday, January 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by trainman » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:46 pm

I closed-captioned a fair number of "Boston Legal" episodes. Denny Crane!

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2312
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Monday, January 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:06 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:02 pm
I've known this one ever since I read "Requiem" by Robert Heinlein when I was a kid.

"Under the wide and starry sky
Dig the grave and let me lie:
Gladly did I live and gladly die,
And I laid me down with a will.

"This be the verse you 'grave for me:
Here he lies where he long'd to be.
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,
And the hunter home from the hill.
"

I thought it was beautiful and poignant then, even before D.D. Harriman appropriated it as his own epitaph. --Bob
Thank you for this lovely reminder. I've known the last two lines forever and never knew where/who it came from.

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2312
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Monday, January 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:17 am

davey wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:52 pm
This triple-stumper FJ reminds me of one from a couple months ago that some thought obscure, about Sherlock Holmes. I thought everybody read Robert Louis Stevenson as a kid, at least "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde." I had "Hyde" in a book with other stories, some taking place in Samoa. And I was fascinated that he died of "consumption" in a place so far away.
Before the short stories there was "A Child's Garden of Verses."
When I was sick and lay a-bed,
I had two pillows at my head,
And all my toys beside me lay
To keep me happy all the day.
And sometimes for an hour or so
I watched my leaden soldiers go,
With different uniforms and drills,
Among the bed-clothes, through the hills;
And sometimes sent my ships in fleets
All up and down among the sheets;
Or brought my trees and houses out,
And planted cities all about.
I was the giant great and still
That sits upon the pillow-hill,
And sees before him, dale and plain,
The pleasant land of counterpane.

OK, a little simpering I suppose for a modern taste. An early literary influence for me, though...
What a trip down memory lane! A Child's Garden of Verses was my absolute favorite reading at about age 5-6.
"Dark brown is the river, golden is the sand...."

I heard somewhere, sometime, ages ago, about Stevenson and Samoa, so this was pretty much an instaget FJ.

LT for the night: (As I was going to) St. Ives; Aristophanes.

I was shocked to get even one of five in collaborations, but that was my little victory for the evening.

I for one thought the Dumb Superheroes was a dumb category. Writers, please don't go there again.

Also very sorry to see Jonathan go, but many congrats on a fine run. He had the lead going into FJ, and made exactly the correct wager (probably much to AT's shock) and just didn't know the answer. Atsa da way da pizza crumbles.

Meredith's wager was also right on target, but poor Zorn jobbed himself out of an extra $3K by wagering too big. No idea what he thought was the upside of wagering $6,000. Oh well. He gets to come back next game, so good for him.

heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Re: Monday, January 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by heppm01 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:57 am

Another Darwin, just to have something.

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1045
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: Monday, January 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Elijah Baley » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:01 am

I read Treasure Island again recently and looked up RLS on Wikipedia so this was an instaget.

I was surprised by how good Treasure Island is; it had been a while. A high (and somewhat gruesome) body count but kids were made of sterner stuff in those days, I guess.

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: Monday, January 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Austin Powers » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:44 am

Some 19 previous references to Stevenson dying in Samoa in the archive.

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Sharp As A Tack
Posts: 657
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Monday, January 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:03 pm

52 R (Only missing Vince McMahon; $400, $1600, and $2000 in TV Role; and Tea Caddy)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: St. Ives, (Go), Tanzania, Aristophanes

Knew Pakistan just from Rawalpindi.

Knew Johannes Gutenberg just from Mainz.

Died in Samoa in 1894 was all I needed to get the Final.

James Cook died in Hawaii in 1779.
Known in the real world as Douglas Squasoni.

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Sharp As A Tack
Posts: 657
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Monday, January 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:08 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:13 pm
no clue on final jeopardy...only british person i could come up with who died around that time and was known for travel was darwin
heppm01 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:57 am
Another Darwin, just to have something.
Charles Darwin died in 1882.
Known in the real world as Douglas Squasoni.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6341
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Monday, January 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:24 pm

Looks like I'm unusual in NOT remembering (I'd say never having heard of, but the archive proves me wrong) the Samoa connection but guessing Stevenson anyway. Scottish author with an adventurous streak in the latter half of the 19th century. RLS just fit.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1067
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, January 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:49 pm

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:08 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:13 pm
no clue on final jeopardy...only british person i could come up with who died around that time and was known for travel was darwin
heppm01 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:57 am
Another Darwin, just to have something.
Charles Darwin died in 1882.

i see that now...darwin was still a better guess than gaugin and cook...seeing the former died in the 1900s and the latter died in the 1700s

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3182
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Monday, January 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:02 pm

John Boy wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:17 am
davey wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:52 pm
This triple-stumper FJ reminds me of one from a couple months ago that some thought obscure, about Sherlock Holmes. I thought everybody read Robert Louis Stevenson as a kid, at least "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde." I had "Hyde" in a book with other stories, some taking place in Samoa. And I was fascinated that he died of "consumption" in a place so far away.
Before the short stories there was "A Child's Garden of Verses."
When I was sick and lay a-bed,
I had two pillows at my head,
And all my toys beside me lay
To keep me happy all the day.
And sometimes for an hour or so
I watched my leaden soldiers go,
With different uniforms and drills,
Among the bed-clothes, through the hills;
And sometimes sent my ships in fleets
All up and down among the sheets;
Or brought my trees and houses out,
And planted cities all about.
I was the giant great and still
That sits upon the pillow-hill,
And sees before him, dale and plain,
The pleasant land of counterpane.

OK, a little simpering I suppose for a modern taste. An early literary influence for me, though...
What a trip down memory lane! A Child's Garden of Verses was my absolute favorite reading at about age 5-6.
"Dark brown is the river, golden is the sand...."
Glad I'm not the only one. I should point out that despite what I wrote above, Stevenson did not die of consumption (though he famously suffered from lung disease), but of a cerebral hemorrhage/stroke, at 44.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5882
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Monday, January 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:43 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:49 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:08 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:13 pm
no clue on final jeopardy...only british person i could come up with who died around that time and was known for travel was darwin
heppm01 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:57 am
Another Darwin, just to have something.
Charles Darwin died in 1882.

i see that now...darwin was still a better guess than gaugin and cook...seeing the former died in the 1900s and the latter died in the 1700s
Gauguin died closer to the date in the clue than Darwin did.

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:13 am

Re: Monday, January 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Peter the accountant » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:22 am

Not so great today. Probably would be negged for skipping the "St." in front of "Ives", so can't claim that LT nor the run in the category. Got all of the rejected superheroes, though.

No clue today on FJ. I've heard of both Treasure Island and RLS. Didn't know the two were connected, nor anything about RLS' biography.

I have a huge knowledge gap in anything related to Literature. Never liked Lit as a kid through High School and College. It's challenging to catch up on that 40 years later.
--Peter

Post Reply