Wednesday, January 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Three out of the five composers got pronounced incorrectly. Wagner with w sound rather than a v, Verdi with the first syllable rhyming with fur rather than fair, and Haydn to rhyme with maiden rather than Biden. So of course Alex only asks for a repeat on one response in the category--the correctly pronounced Mendelssohn. For the sake of completeness, we'll note that the remaining response was Brahms, also pronounced correctly.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Please let "Voyage of a Beagle" be about Snoopy. Pretty please?

That was impressive.

YES IT IS I AM SO HAPPY!

The Christmas version of "Snoopy vs. the Red Baron" is definitely my favorite of all non-traditional Christmas songs.

The leading "On" isn't an article, so I don't think they should accept it being dropped from the title.

I said "mussels," and subsequent Internet research suggests that mussels are a distinct taxonomic grouping from barnacles (and apparently the Darwin work used the scientific name for the barnacle grouping explicitly in its title), so I'll neg myself for it.

Siobhan looked really annoyed that she couldn't ring in on time on Angel Falls...

"Tranquil" is NOT a good choice for the $2000 clue, given some of the other ones...

So three of the people in this category actually figure into my Ph.D. dissertation...

Nice to get through the whole board.

I'm eagerly awaiting HBO's new spinoff of *The Sopranos*: *The Altos*

Coryat: $44,000

J: 24R5P1W. Got DD. 5/5 on History and Voyage. 4/5 on Charles Darwin (see above) and Wheel of Jeopardy. 3/5 on Food & Drink and Book.

DJ: 26R4P. Got both DDs. 5/5 on Places, Composers, and Injuries. 4/5 on Bartlett's and "Q." 3/5 on Foreign Film Awards.

FJ: Figured it out in a couple of seconds, spend the rest of the time humming the theme song ("Woke up this morning, got yourself a gun...").

LT: Kool-Aid, horseradish, Joe Cool (my childhood pet beagle was named for him), moon, sobriquet, rotator cuff
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:47 pm Thanks. I figured it was something like that based on your sentence. (I'd have gotten it without the extra clue #hb)

No one blessed you with this at Christmas, huh? Sad.

Not a huge fan of the show, but I am familiar with this and it will always shape my perception of the Kool-Aid Man:

Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:38 pm Mount Logan could be literally anywhere in Canada for all I know. Saw no way to narrow that down
"Territory"
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Kool-Aid aTS? Seriously? Also got the horseradish clue.

Couldn't think of anything for FJ. Finally guessed The Lone Ranger because of the William Tell Overture. :?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

opusthepenguin wrote:Three out of the five composers got pronounced incorrectly. Wagner with w sound rather than a v, Verdi with the first syllable rhyming with fur rather than fair, and Haydn to rhyme with maiden rather than Biden. So of course Alex only asks for a repeat on one response in the category--the correctly pronounced Mendelssohn.
I thought her "Melburn" for Melbourne was amusing.
Fleeboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Fleeboy »

"The Sopranos" premiered 20 years ago Thursday. That milestone received a lot of play in the media this week, making it an easy precall for quite a few home viewers, I suspect. Of course, contestants taping months ago would not have been aware of that anniversary.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:04 pm The dish also came with a serving of a white condiment that I soon discovered was not mayonnaise. And that was the first and only time I've had horseradish. Lesson learned and not forgotten.
Have you had wasabi since?
morbeedo wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:21 pm Not a fan of Wheel of Jeopardy - was this a debut category or a reprise?
Reprise. Maybe not the category specifically, but the gimmick for certain.
Euphonium wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:46 pm The leading "On" isn't an article, so I don't think they should accept it being dropped from the title.
"(The) Origin of Species" is an acceptable response as it's been published under that title.
(E.g.: https://www.amazon.com/Origin-Species-1 ... 0451529065 )

"(On the) Origin of the Species" is not. You're not allowed to add or drop articles in the middle of the title.

Instafinal.
Last edited by Volante on Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Fleeboy wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:10 pm "The Sopranos" premiered 20 years ago Thursday. That milestone received a lot of play in the media this week, making it an easy precall for quite a few home viewers, I suspect. Of course, contestants taping months ago would not have been aware of that anniversary.
It certainly helped me since I just read an interview with David Chase today...It and the unavoidable Breaking Bad were the only 2 shows I brought to mind during the break - and still I stared uncomprehending at the clue for the first 5 seconds or so before the right response popped in...
I would not have gotten the Kool Aid clue under any circumstances...
If anyone else meant to look it up - Richard Burton's edition of The Arabian Nights was called The Book of the Thousand Nights and One Night so variations on that name would surely have been acceptable, too.
I'm another who was introduced to horseradish at a little boite in my town...called Arby's...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:56 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:Three out of the five composers got pronounced incorrectly. Wagner with w sound rather than a v, Verdi with the first syllable rhyming with fur rather than fair, and Haydn to rhyme with maiden rather than Biden. So of course Alex only asks for a repeat on one response in the category--the correctly pronounced Mendelssohn.
Why? That's how it's pronounced (maybe a little lighter on the 'r').
Volante

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:48 pm
The 'r' is there in spirit only.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

ABC Sacramento screwed up and showed tomorrow's main game tonight. They switched back to today's Final.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:52 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:48 pm
The 'r' is there in spirit only.
"Melburn" is how Australians would pronounce it if they didn't have Australian accents... :ugeek:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:49 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:38 pm Mount Logan could be literally anywhere in Canada for all I know. Saw no way to narrow that down
"Territory"
Which is still a 1 in 3.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:04 pm
"Territory"
Which is still a 1 in 3.
Where are there tall mountains on this continent?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Volante

Post by Volante »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:05 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:04 pm
"Territory"
Which is still a 1 in 3.
Where are there tall mountains on this continent?
...so this was going to be a snarky comment saying "Alaska and California" and then I looked at the list and Mexico has a very respectable amount. Poor little Mt. Whitney doesn't even show up until #24. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... th_America

And then to add further insult, Colorado shows up shortly after and just dominates the list...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:46 pm FJ: Figured it out in a couple of seconds, spend the rest of the time humming the theme song ("Woke up this morning, got yourself a gun...").
Same here. I just watched the intro on Youtube. :D
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

All this composer talk reminds me of a M*A*S*H episode where Radar is taught to pronounce Bach as "Baaah". As edgy as it was, that is one sitcom that didn't age well. Sort of a period piece inside a period piece. And crossdressing schtick hasn't been funny since evah!

That opening clue - I got stuck on "YooHoo" as a similar interjection, although "Yahoo" was more synonymous. But I was sure that Yoohoo is carbonated. I don't recognize the 'Oh, Yeah' as a marketing phrase. I remember the disappointment of that stuff as adults tried to push it as a substitute for pop. I thought I could hack it one time by spiking it with about a pound of sugar I think. It went from yucky to nauseating. I suppose this prepared me for the disappointment of Tang that would come later :lol:

Couple good paydays for Jessica. She could peel off a couple more. Me no chance at the FJ. Tried to think of Opera names like CaRmen that might be TV shows.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:39 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:04 pm The dish also came with a serving of a white condiment that I soon discovered was not mayonnaise. And that was the first and only time I've had horseradish. Lesson learned and not forgotten.
Have you had wasabi since?
Yes, once. It was a staff lunch (perhaps 10 or so years ago) at Benihana and my non-adventurous eating habits were well-known by my co-workers. I took a taste (a very tiny taste) off a spoon and made the appropriate face as even mustard or ketchup are more flavor than I care for on foods. Everyone got a laugh out of it and fortunately no one had their phones on video mode.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:24 pm All this composer talk reminds me of a M*A*S*H episode where Radar is taught to pronounce Bach as "Baaah". As edgy as it was, that is one sitcom that didn't age well.
I don't know. Perhaps the problem is that those of us who have seen it have seen every single episode about five times. We'd need some M*A*S*H virgins to give an informed opinion.