Thursday, January 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7904, 2019-01-10

CONTESTANTS
Anneke Garcia, an instructional design consultant from Salt Lake City, Utah
Dave Kaplan, a retired mixed martial artist from Westford, Massachusetts
Jessica Holloway, an art education student from The Woodlands, Texas (whose 2-day cash winnings total $54,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I'm going to begin today by repeating something I said yesterday, and that is that I really love it when our Jeopardy! champions display such great delight at having performed well. And that is certainly true of you, Jessica. Good to have you back with us. Dave and Anneke, welcome aboard. Let's go to work in the first round, shall we? And now, let us show you the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
10 LINES ABOUT 5 WOMEN (4/5)
TECHNOLOGY (5/5)
ON THE RADIO (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NONFICTION (3/4)
"RU" READY? (5/5)
OF CORSICA (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jessica: 15 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Dave: 6 R, 1 W
Anneke: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jessica found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Jessica had $400, Dave was scoreless, and Anneke was at $200. Jessica wagered $1,000.

ON THE RADIO $800: Radio's first quiz show is claimed by the public radio station with these call letters that contain the Big Apple's initials

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jessica: $6,000
Anneke: $1,200
Dave: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Anneke Garcia is from Salt Lake City, Utah. But Anneke, you spent time in Japan.

Anneke: I did.

Alex: And that started you on a special collection.

Anneke: I--yes. I collect red shoes. I lived in Yokohama, Japan, and they've got a song there, a little folk song about a little girl with red shoes. The song is very sad, but I like having the red shoes to remind me of how much I loved living there.

Alex: Okay. Thank you.

Alex: Dave Kaplan is a retired mixed martial artist from Westford, Massachusetts. And you speak how many languages?

Dave: Five languages, Alex, with some varying degree of proficiency in each.

Alex: Now you met your wife because of your interest in...

Dave: No, no. I was at a fight, and she came up to me for a--to have a picture taken with me. And about five months later, she reached out to see if I remembered taking the picture. And for the only time I've ever lied to her, I said yes. Probably took 200 pictures that night. But it was--yeah, from then, we dated and got married.

Alex: Got married. Hey, it ended up well.

Alex: Now, Jessica Holloway is our champion. You taught in Japan.

Jessica: Yes, I did for two years, right out of undergraduate. I lived in a sleepy little town called Nanbu, Tottori, and there were only 12,000 people there.

Alex: Are you fluent in Japanese?

Jessica: Mostly.

Alex: So could you converse with Anneke if the two of you wanted to speak?

Anneke: Tabun.

Jessica: Tabun.

Alex: Of course. I would have said exactly the same thing.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ON THE RADIO $600: SiriusXM's radio classics channel airs such favorites as "Hopalong Cassidy" & "Fibber McGee &" her

10 LINES ABOUT 5 WOMEN $400: Emily was a poet, Massachusetts born & bred / wrote "I'm Nobody! Who are you?", lived in this town 'til she was dead
(Dave: Who is Emily Dickinson?)

NONFICTION $1000: A Hulu miniseries of the same name was based on this Lawrence Wright book subtitled "Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jessica: $9,600
Anneke: $3,600
Dave: $2,400
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, January 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PLACES OF LEGEND (4/5)
THEATER (3/5)
WORDS ABOUT WORDS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MENAGERIE (5/5)
2018 POP CULTURE (4/5)
SCHOOL WITHIN A SCHOOL (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: We'll give you the name of a school. You tell us which--what university or college it's a part of.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Anneke: 11 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Jessica: 7 R, 2 W
Dave: 4 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dave snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Jessica had $9,600, Dave had $4,400, and Anneke was at $3,600. Dave made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,400.

SCHOOL WITHIN A SCHOOL $2000: Heinz College (a 2-name school)
(Dave: What is Penn State?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Anneke who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 5th clue. Jessica had $9,600, Dave was in the red with -$2,000, and Anneke was at $5,600. Anneke wagered $4,000.

WORDS ABOUT WORDS $1600: The name of a 1775 play character gave us this word for an error like "there is no anecdote for the poison"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORDS ABOUT WORDS $2000: Put a letter before "once" to get this type of word invented on the spot
(Dave: What is...)

SCHOOL WITHIN A SCHOOL $1600: The Pritzker School of Medicine

SCHOOL WITHIN A SCHOOL $800: The Woodrow Wilson School of Public & International Affairs

PLACES OF LEGEND $2000: Neither Pizarro nor Raleigh succeeded in their searches for this land of gold
(Jessica: What is Shangri-la?)
(Dave: What is Cibola?)

2018 POP CULTURE $800: Beyonce & Jay-Z released the album "Everything is Love" under this collective name
(Jessica: What is Bey-Z?)

THEATER $2000: In 2018 Laurie Metcalf won a Tony for her performance in this playwright's "Three Tall Women"
(Alex: And we have less than a minute now.)

THEATER $400: In London, this Agatha Christie play has been ensnaring theatergoers for 67 years

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Anneke: $19,200
Jessica: $12,800
Dave: -$800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN LANDMARKS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds (exactly) for first place.
Anneke: Wager $6,400 for the tie. Jessica has cause to bet either nothing or everything, and you can't afford to lose by $1 to a nothing bet.
Jessica: It's all or nothing, baby. You have even hope of returning to battle Anneke next game if you wager $12,800 or $0. Either way, you're banking on a bet to tie by Anneke and the ability to prevail in the future.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Eyewitness Jose Marti wrote, "Luckless Irishmen, Poles, Italians... run toward the wharves" to see its dedication

FINAL SCORES
Jessica: $12,800 + $12,800 = $25,600 (What is The Statue of Liberty???) (2nd place: $2,000)
Anneke: $19,200 + $6,401 = $25,601 (What is the Statue of Liberty?) (New champion: $25,601)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Anneke: $16,800, 16 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Jessica: $12,600, 22 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Dave: $3,600, 10 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $33,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Jessica: 23/59 = .390
Anneke: 17/59 = .288
Dave: 10/59 = .169
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
OF CORSICA $200: Corsica & this island just a few miles south together formed a province of the ancient Roman Empire

OF CORSICA $1000: Gee, Corsica has a lot of these cute little cave--19th century poet-traveler Edward Lear said, "We have seen so many"

"RU" READY? $200: Union & league are the 2 main types of this rough-&-tumble sport that began in England
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

NONFICTION $400: In the title of Joseph Campbell's study of world mythology, "The Hero" has this many faces
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

2018 POP CULTURE $2000: In 2018 this couple said hello to baby No. 5 5 & goodbye to "Fixer Upper" after season No. 5

PLACES OF LEGEND $400: You'd have to hold your breath to visit this legendary island described by Plato
(Alex: It's underwater.)

MENAGERIE $1600: Generally graceful & long-legged, these wading birds also come in a medium-sized night type

THEATER $1600: Turning 40 in 2019, the New York Theatre Workshop has launched works like this Jonathan Larson musical, whose original production is seen here

CORRECT RESPONSES
WNYC
Fibber McGee and Molly
Amherst
The Looming Tower
Carnegie Mellon
a malapropism
nonce
the University of Chicago
Princeton
El Dorado
The Carters
Edward Albee
The Mousetrap
the Statue of Liberty
Sardinia
grottoes
rugby
a thousand
Chip and Joanna Gaines
Atlantis
heron
Rent
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN LANDMARKS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Eyewitness Jose Marti wrote, “Luckless Irishmen, Poles, Italians…run toward the wharves” to see its dedication

Jessica Holloway: 12800+12800=25600
Dave Kaplan: minus 800
Anneke Garcia: 19200+6401=25601 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Statue of Liberty

Daily Doubles
Jessica: 400+1000
Dave: 4400-4400
Anneke: 5600+4000

Coryats
Jessica: 12600
Dave: 3600
Anneke: 16800

Combined: 33,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jessica: 9600
Dave: 2400
Anneke: 3600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The headshake at young people today was crickets heard for Fibber McGee’s partner. The Christie play also going TS surprised me more as that appeared in a clue last season. Watch the show people. It helps.

The FJ! category had me eliminate the place that showed up on December 18th. I then told myself, “They wouldn’t do [the correct response], would they?” Yeah they would. I stared at my correct response written and spent think time making sure it was not some kind of trap as sometimes something so obvious and easy makes doubt increase.

Jessica won the J! round and Anneke won the DJ! round. Hmmm, which one is more important? Jessica did not play well once she got into a trailing position as Anneke's +$4000 on DD3 sent her soaring.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Radio and Words About Words.

I thought Sardinia was tough for $200. Didn't recognize anything in the Corsica category.

Amherst seemed tough for $400 too.

NHO "runoff ballot" for 4/5 there.

Heinz College was huge, HUGE negbait for Penn State.

I usually do well in animal categories, but I somehow went 0/5 in that one. The clues just didn't click.

Can't say I've heard of "The Mousetrap" either.

No guess on FJ! Literally nothing seemed to fit.

Lach Trash: Fibber McGee and Molly, nonce, El Dorado
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Any idea why the Boston CBS affiliate --- Channel 4 --- ran a "Jeopardy!" repeat tonight?

Very weird.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

BADuBois wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:56 pm Any idea why the Boston CBS affiliate --- Channel 4 --- ran a "Jeopardy!" repeat tonight?

Very weird.
Probably a mix-up with the Saturday repeat game, which doesn't guarantee they'll put the show that should have run today in the Sat. slot. I'm off to Reddit to get the actual game.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Apparently I'm glad I didn't watch on WBZ tonight. We have Fios and I try to watch WPRI's broadcast to avoid interruptions caused by Patriots All-Access or any other surprise pre-emptions from the Boston market.

Bummed to see Jessica go - that two finger raise in the intro made me think of a certain former 13-day champion. :mrgreen: Nevertheless, nice work by Anneke to go on a nice run midway through DJ and pull away. She certainly earned her victory tonight.

Count me as at least one youngster who actually knew Fibber McGee's partner. Taken a communication course or two in my day, but still an easy enough pickup from the 4th.

I've come across Jose Marti's name a number of times, and thought a dedication of the Statue of Liberty would have predated his life. Went with it anyway, lacking a better option. Right is right, I guess.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

nlw44 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:59 pm
BADuBois wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:56 pm Any idea why the Boston CBS affiliate --- Channel 4 --- ran a "Jeopardy!" repeat tonight?

Very weird.
Probably a mix-up with the Saturday repeat game, which doesn't guarantee they'll put the show that should have run today in the Sat. slot. I'm off to Reddit to get the actual game.
Reddit says that Gilbert's second game aired tonight on WBZ, so the mixup was with the Daytime game. Those daytime games air on one of the FOX stations, at least in my channel lineup, and not on WBZ as far as I know. I'm not sure when/if tonight's game will air on WBZ. Saturday reruns are in the middle of Austin's games.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

To follow up to my earlier query as to why the Boston CBS affiliate aired a repeat tonight, I sent an email to the station and got this reply within thirty minutes... a pretty quick response, IMHO.

Dear Brendan,
I apologize for the error. The secondary Jeopardy was accidentally recorded instead of the primary episode, which is why a repeat aired. We are looking it to how this happened.
Sincerely,
Christine Ferrara
Program Director
WBZ-TV/WSBK-TV

Sounds like somebody is on the cusp of losing their job...
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I considered Ellis island for FJ, figured the Statue of Liberty was more of a landmark. Wondering how many missed because it seemed too obvious. :)
Fibber McGee & Molly were definitely a nod to us older viewers. :geek:
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:45 pm No guess on FJ! Literally nothing seemed to fit.
You could have guessed any US landmark. Which is pretty much what I did. And lo and behold, I picked the right one.

I got El Dorado. Surprised it was a TS.

I wish Dave could have done better, since I was excited to see the show's first former UFC fighter contestant. Sucks to see him go out like he did. I liked the diamond he had above his name, which was a homage to his ring name. I also liked how the showman came out when he got that DD. "Let's give the people what they came to see. Double."
Last edited by JayK33 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Poor Dave ...the Heinz school was at the other end of the block from the business school. We used to go there to play in game theory experiments where they paid you real money.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:17 am The headshake at young people today was crickets heard for Fibber McGee’s partner. The Christie play also going TS surprised me more as that appeared in a clue last season. Watch the show people. It helps.
I have zero idea how 'Fibber McGee' triggered 'Molly' in my brain. Seriously. None. And yet I picked it up... :shock:

Seeing 'The Mousetrap' is probably the #1 item on my bucket list, though I need a little more time still to make it happen...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Mail via cruise missile seems dangerous.

My brain initially read the image for the Corsica $1000 clue as a mushroom cloud and I was really confused.

Dave finally realized he doesn't have to end every response with "Alex."

Disappointed we didn't get a clue about calques.

I know the Arthurian connection, but when I go through associations it's only #4. #1 is the Led Zeppelin song "The Battle of Evermore," #2 is the village on Catalina Island, and #3 is the village on Tol Eressea (I know it's spelled slightly differently).

Speaking of Arthurian connections, anyone who's seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail should be able to get Joseph of Arimathea.

Are nicknames acceptable? I can see someone blurting out "King James" just by habit.

Does anyone else start belting out the Wolfmother song every time they encounter the word "colossal"? No? Just me? Oh. Ok :(

Coryat: $38,200

J: 25R4P. Got DD. 5/5 on 10 Lines, Technology, "RU," and Corsica. 4/5 on Radio. 1/4 on Nonfiction (ugh, grasping for 9-letter words relating to the Spanish Flu and couldn't come up with the obvious).

DJ: 22R7P1W. 1/2 on DD (Pitt instead of CMU). 5/5 on Legends and Words. 4/5 on Menagerie. 3/5 on School and Theater (I had no idea who wrote Rent, but the way the cast was costumed made it a reasonable guess so I went with it and got lucky). 2/5 on Pop Culture.

FJ: I settled on Statue of Liberty, but I wasn't satisfied with it. Jose Marti had me thinking it was more likely to be something in Florida, but fortunately I couldn't come up with anything in Florida that seemed to fit the clue.

LT: nonce, El Dorado
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

I’m counting my response of “Diddy Kong” correct for the Nintendo ape. Looked it up online and he was added to the game in September. (Never heard of the game, but every Nintendo sports/party game has the same general list of participants.)

Bugged by Jessica’s wager — $0 seems like the only logical wager here (2/3 situation).
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:32 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:17 am The headshake at young people today was crickets heard for Fibber McGee’s partner. The Christie play also going TS surprised me more as that appeared in a clue last season. Watch the show people. It helps.
I have zero idea how 'Fibber McGee' triggered 'Molly' in my brain. Seriously. None. And yet I picked it up... :shock:
But on the show, would you have rung in? Or would you have stood there wondering why your brain was saying "Molly"?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:43 pm
Volante wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:32 pm
But on the show, would you have rung in? Or would you have stood there wondering why your brain was saying "Molly"?
I think I would've gone for it. It wasn't a vague association either, but the sort that makes you blurt "Costello" if someone spots you "Abbott and"
And it actually scares me a little that I have zero inkling where that link came from. Best guess is MST3K since they love those 1%er references, but that guess has a confidence percentage I -wouldn't- ring in on.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:06 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:43 pm
Volante wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:32 pm I have zero idea how 'Fibber McGee' triggered 'Molly' in my brain. Seriously. None. And yet I picked it up... :shock:
I think I would've gone for it. It wasn't a vague association either, but the sort that makes you blurt "Costello" if someone spots you "Abbott and"
And it actually scares me a little that I have zero inkling where that link came from. Best guess is MST3K since they love those 1%er references, but that guess has a confidence percentage I -wouldn't- ring in on.
You're not a fan of the '90s TV show NewsRadio by any chance? Fibber McGee and Molly figured in one of the episodes.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

The FJ! category had me eliminate the place that showed up on December 18th. I then told myself, “They wouldn’t do [the correct response], would they?” Yeah they would. I stared at my correct response written and spent think time making sure it was not some kind of trap as sometimes something so obvious and easy makes doubt increase.

Jessica won the J! round and Anneke won the DJ! round. Hmmm, which one is more important? Jessica did not play well once she got into a trailing position as Anneke's +$4000 on DD3 sent her soaring.
i am a geezer (45) and i never heard of that show before