Friday, January 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Friday, January 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

Woof wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:19 pm Sg, you’re reading a lot more into that than I intended. A bet of $3,001 from Jocelyn wins in all scenarios apart from one where Anneke gets it right and makes a non-zero bet. Since the leader makes the minimum shutout bet in an overwhelming majority of games, to me that is the prudent bet from second.
I'm just saying, there were 99 different bets that Jocelyn could have made that one couldn't reasonably call an overwager, that would have cost her the game anyway.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:34 pm
Woof wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:19 pm Sg, you’re reading a lot more into that than I intended. A bet of $3,001 from Jocelyn wins in all scenarios apart from one where Anneke gets it right and makes a non-zero bet. Since the leader makes the minimum shutout bet in an overwhelming majority of games, to me that is the prudent bet from second.
I'm just saying, there were 99 different bets that Jocelyn could have made that one couldn't reasonably call an overwager, that would have cost her the game anyway.
But would you not agree that the bet she did make was too large, needlessly putting her at risk of being overtaken by third? It doesn’t actually give her any greater chance of overtaking first apart from the Shore’s Conjecture situation.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Woof wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:16 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:34 pm
But would you not agree that the bet she did make was too large, needlessly putting her at risk of being overtaken by third? It doesn’t actually give her any greater chance of overtaking first apart from the Shore’s Conjecture situation.
She did overwager, but not to such an extent that it normally would have mattered (outcome-wise) in a TS. She could have won the game by betting less, but she would have won if Anneke had made the normal wager. It may be six of one and half a dozen of the other, but it feels truer to me to assert that Anneke saved herself the game by underwagering rather than that Jocelyn cost herself the game by overwagering.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:03 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:53 am The wagers!!

Moderately surprised at the FJ misses. Surrealist paintings look a little crazy —> who’s a very famous doctor to crazy people —> Freud. QED. :geek:
I got there in 30 seconds, but I needed at least 20. Having the word Doctor in the clue might have helped. I had to go back and look at the category.
I needed the same 20 seconds, but I think I would have time to write the answer. London in 1939 was full of Jewish notables evacuating Europe, and I remembered reading somewhere that Dali had mentioned in an interview somewhere that his surrealism was based on his dreams. The dots connected to Freud, though I wasn't sure he was still alive, having achieved a lot of his fame by the turn of the 20th century. Turned out he lived a long time -- and died not long after meeting Dali.

My wife said she had a flicker of Freud, but rejected the answer because she also thought he had died by the 1920s.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I couldn't think of any famous doctors from that era at all. But of course, I haven't NHO of Freud (if that makes sense). So when I heard the correct response I had a "Oh!" moment.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This clue was one of two this week where semantics tripped me up. "Doctor" had me thinking physician, not psychiatrist, so my brain was turning up no results for a "famous doctor" in that time frame. After the music ended, the only WAG I had was Albert Schweitzer, but I knew the other details of the clue ruled him out.
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:03 pm This clue was one of two this week where semantics tripped me up. "Doctor" had me thinking physician, not psychiatrist, so my brain was turning up no results for a "famous doctor" in that time frame. After the music ended, the only WAG I had was Albert Schweitzer, but I knew the other details of the clue ruled him out.
Much the same here. When the question was revealed I started rummaging my brain for "conventional" medical doctors and looking for some kind of connection to Spain (Dali) or the UK (London). Needless to say, I came up empty.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:03 pm This clue was one of two this week where semantics tripped me up. "Doctor" had me thinking physician, not psychiatrist, so my brain was turning up no results for a "famous doctor" in that time frame. After the music ended, the only WAG I had was Albert Schweitzer, but I knew the other details of the clue ruled him out.
Psychiatrists are physicians. They have received the same full medical training as any other doctor.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:53 am Moderately surprised at the FJ misses. Surrealist paintings look a little crazy —> who’s a very famous doctor to crazy people —> Freud. QED. :geek:
It wasn't crazy for me, but Dali's have always felt dreamlike to me. And from dreams it's a very short psychiatric jump to Freud.
I'm...somewhat surprised at how rough this one's been. I loved the construction of the clue.
MattKnowles wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:26 pm "B" composer and "Hungarian Dances" led me to Brahms. If I see that same clue in a year I'll probably miss it again. Brahms' Hungarian Dances are one of my favorites, especially No. 5:...
It was mentioned earlier that the piece was about a Hungarian's "Dance Suite" (as opposed to a "Hungarian Dance") but the year was also a biggy: Brahms didn't make it to the 20th century let alone a quarter of the way through it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

39,600 coryat.

Early to mid-20th century art is my jam, so this final couldn't have been more of an instaget. It's astonishing that a meeting with Dali would disabuse anyone of the notion of the Surrealists as anything but a bunch of “absolute cranks."
Euphonium wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:37 pm Bartok, Berlioz, Borodin, Bruckner, Barber

I hopehopehopehopehope there's a William S. Burroughs clue in there
Why would you expect one?
I would prefer not to.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Bartleby wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:30 am Why would you expect one?
Because he spent some time in jail awaiting trial after accidentally killing his wife.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Euphonium wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:36 pm
Because he spent some time in jail awaiting trial after accidentally killing his wife.
Not entirely sure how you'd shoehorn a Burroughs clue into a Classical Music category...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Okay, I see what you were going for now. Maybe throw a Walley World, U Thant, or Ken Olin in there next time to break it up a bit?
I would prefer not to.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Volante wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:53 pm
Not entirely sure how you'd shoehorn a Burroughs clue into a Classical Music category...
"Writers Who Went To Jail" was a category, too...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:27 pm
John Boy wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:34 am
Euphonium wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:37 pm
Bartok, Berlioz, Borodin, Bruckner, Barber
Not to mention Barber, Balakirev, Bellini, Bernstein, Bizet, Buxtehude, Bruch...yeah, when I saw this category I was loaded for bear.
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:02 am Britten, Buxtehude, Balakirev, Bizet, Bax
Alban Berg, William Byrd, Pierre Boulez, Harrison Birtwistle
Berio, Boccherini, Bolling, Bernstein, Busoni, Bellini
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:20 pm
Not to mention Barber, Balakirev, Bellini, Bernstein, Bizet, Buxtehude, Bruch...yeah, when I saw this category I was loaded for bear.
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:02 am Britten, Buxtehude, Balakirev, Bizet, Bax
Bed Bath & Beyond
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:35 pm
Bed Bath & Beyond
B-B-B-Butt Drugs...

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Billy and the Boingers :geek:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Volante wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:21 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:53 am Moderately surprised at the FJ misses. Surrealist paintings look a little crazy —> who’s a very famous doctor to crazy people —> Freud. QED. :geek:
It wasn't crazy for me, but Dali's have always felt dreamlike to me. And from dreams it's a very short psychiatric jump to Freud.
I'm...somewhat surprised at how rough this one's been. I loved the construction of the clue.
I had a flash of panic - Surrealism!! I simply CAN'T miss this one... but WHO could it be??? Oh, duh. Sigmund Freud

Surprised by the triple miss but I did love 'Sad Kitty'

And obvs loved Alex's grimace when he referenced the sketch of Freud made by Dalí