Friday, January 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: Friday, January 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MattKnowles »

I didn't know that Freud was an inspiration for surrealism. That seems kind of weird to me but it's a good opportunity to learn. I picked Einstein based on the 1938 date. I have Freud associated with late-1800s and didn't realize he was a viable option for a 1930s clue.

I did really poorly on tonight's clues and my coryat score is probably the lowest it's been since I signed up on this board. I'll need to go back and look at this one to see what messed me up.

I missed the clue about the transcendentalist in a Concord jail because I was thinking of Ralph Waldo Emerson's nickname "The Sage of Concord."

Can we poll the Bela Bartok clue?

"B" composer and "Hungarian Dances" led me to Brahms. If I see that same clue in a year I'll probably miss it again. Brahms' Hungarian Dances are one of my favorites, especially No. 5:
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:30 pm I guessed Freud with zero confidence, but I'll take it.
Same here. I thought of Freud about 20 seconds in and couldn't think of anything else better.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Never knew that was the reason for Shaq's famous free-throw incompetence

Bartok, Berlioz, Borodin, Bruckner, Barber

I hopehopehopehopehope there's a William S. Burroughs clue in there

I like Anneke's pacing here.

If it ain't baroque...

Hey, I pre-called one of the Bs!

Coryat: $42,800

J: 25R5P. 5/5 on Proverb and Flick of the Wrist. 4/5 on Shark Tank, State of Nature, and Going Dutch. 3/5 on Earls.

DJ: 26R1P1W. 5/5 on Classical Music, Adjectives, UN, and Writers. 4/5 on 30 Something (I said "cranial" instead of "skull," but yeah). 2/3 on Amusement Parks.

FJ: Concluded from the fact that it was talking about surrealists that it had to be a psychologist of some sort, Freud was the obvious choice for that era given his interest in the unconscious, and then spent the rest of it reminiscing about the creative ways a handful of my students found to plagiarize their paper on Civilization and its Discontents in historical context last year.

LT: Slider, Helsinki Accords, barcarolle, Susan Rice
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:28 pmNHO the IRA.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Another help on this FJ...knowing Freud lived in London at the end of his life...
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:26 pm "B" composer and "Hungarian Dances" led me to Brahms. If I see that same clue in a year I'll probably miss it again.
The clue was "This Hungarian's 1923 'Dance Suite,'" not "This composer's 'Hungarian Dances.'"
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Euphonium wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:37 pm Bartok, Berlioz, Borodin, Bruckner, Barber
Britten, Buxtehude, Balakirev, Bizet, Bax
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

And yet another overwager by second costs them the win in a TS FJ. I spent all of Think Music trying to come up with a plausible Dr, but no joy. Freud never crossed my mind, sad to say.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Euphonium wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:42 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:26 pm "B" composer and "Hungarian Dances" led me to Brahms. If I see that same clue in a year I'll probably miss it again.
The clue was "This Hungarian's 1923 'Dance Suite,'" not "This composer's 'Hungarian Dances.'"
Yep. I rang in intending to say Brahms, but the 1923 assured me I would be wrong. So who else could it be? Liszt? Slightly earlier than Brahms. No chance. I got to Bartok and said the name with plenty of time to give myself credit.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Should I assume that Sarah Ann chose not to use her last name? It's a nice option to have.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Woof wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:09 am And yet another overwager by second costs them the win in a TS FJ.
Totally. If Jocelyn had bet properly, say, $6,399 to keep Sarah locked out, she would have... lost anyway.

Here are things that are happening: Sarah had less than half of Jocelyn's score, but she had exactly double the difference between Jocelyn and Anneke. The Shoretegic wager for Anneke was $3,401, which would cover Jocelyn if they both get it right and Jocelyn wagered $6,400 or less to avoid falling behind Sarah. However, because Sarah had exactly double the difference between Anneke and Jocelyn, Sarah could reasonably expect a wager from Anneke that would drop Anneke's score just below hers, and therefore wager $0; so Jocelyn in turn might have deviously bet just under $12,400, which would mean she would stay ahead of Sarah under those circumstances if she misses, and beat a Shoretegic Anneke if the two of them get FJ right. The best that a Shoretegic Anneke could do in anticipation of this would be to up her wager from Shoretegy's standard "cover a second place who wagers to keep third place locked out" to "still don't cover, but bet as much as you can while keeping third place locked out," but then she has to guess how little Jocelyn would be willing to leave on the table above $6,000 and leave as much as or less than that above $12,000 (thereby risking falling behind a Jocelyn who wagers as Shoretegy predicts) to still be able to beat Jocelyn on a double get. Anneke's $9,300 wager wouldn't have beaten a maximally counter-Shoretegic Jocelyn on a double get, but it does beat it on a double miss, and the circumstances worked out for Anneke when Jocelyn didn't undershoot the Shoretegy-postulated wager (and missed).

(I don't say any of this with the intention that it be read thoroughly. People are just painting the wagers in broad strokes in something of a complex situation.)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:26 pm

Can we poll the Bela Bartok clue?

Bela Bartok was my precall in the category :)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:39 pm When in doubt, blurt out Freud.
Sounds like a fine recipe for bringing unwanted attention upon yourself in public places. But hey, go for it.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Euphonium wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:37 pm
Not to mention Barber, Balakirev, Bellini, Bernstein, Bizet, Buxtehude, Bruch...yeah, when I saw this category I was loaded for bear.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Several people here have said they used fairly creative ways to suss out Freud, and more power....

I knew that Freud (a Jew) fled Germany to escape Nazi persecution, and lived out his life in London, dying there in 1939. So for a change I went through a front door to get to this answer, although some of the previously-mentioned back doors seem like very nice logical processing.

LT: (Baltimore) Orioles, slider, barcarole...pretty meager tonight. But 3-for-3 in DDs and almost instaget FJ. Plus running the category in "Complete the Proverb" and "5 Bs.

Count me among those thinking the wagers were not so hot. I know Anneke's wager just happened to win the game for her because it was a TS, but for goodness sake the left herself open to be caught from behind if Jocelyn bet big and got it right. I know most people always make that $1-lockout wager, perhaps the exception being if you really, really are leery about the FJ category. But Famous Doctors didn't seems like the sort of off-the-wall or obscure category that would chase off most contestants. So, even though she won, it was still not what I would call a good bet at all.

And I always thought that famous proverb was "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single malt." Maybe I misread that.
Woof

Post by Woof »

Sg, you’re reading a lot more into that than I intended. A bet of $3,001 from Jocelyn wins in all scenarios apart from one where Anneke gets it right and makes a non-zero bet. Since the leader makes the minimum shutout bet in an overwhelming majority of games, to me that is the prudent bet from second.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Only missing Baltimore Orioles and Superficial.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Idaho, Dutch Shultz, Slider, Vertebrae, Helsinki Accords, Barcarole, Susan Rice
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

John Boy wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:34 am
Euphonium wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:37 pm
Not to mention Barber, Balakirev, Bellini, Bernstein, Bizet, Buxtehude, Bruch...yeah, when I saw this category I was loaded for bear.
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:02 am Britten, Buxtehude, Balakirev, Bizet, Bax
Alban Berg, William Byrd, Pierre Boulez, Harrison Birtwistle
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Can the judges give me a ruling? :)

I said "Dutch East Indies Company."
Woof

Post by Woof »

John Boy wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:46 am

I knew that Freud (a Jew) fled Germany to escape Nazi persecution, and lived out his life in London, dying there in 1939.
Minor correction: he fled Vienna, where he’d lived and worked for several decades. He left either just before or after Kristalnacht.