Tuesday, January 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7907, 2019-01-15

CONTESTANTS
Evan Beals, a salesman from Grand Rapids, Michigan
Kathleen Guess, a children's librarian from Marion, Kentucky
Anneke Garcia, an instructional design consultant from Salt Lake City, Utah (whose 3-day cash winnings total $64,502)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, everyone. Picking up on what I said at the beginning of yesterday's program, it looks like Anneke demonstrated quite nicely, thank you very much, that it is possible to have that positive momentum carry over from a Friday to a Monday competition. She won big yesterday. Kathleen and Evan, you're going to have to work hard to replace her. Good luck, though. Here we go. Let's take a look at the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TREATIES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MOVIE VOCATIONS (5/5)
SEND ME A LETTER (5/5)
EDIBLE COMMON BONDS (5/5)
"ITS" FINAL (5/5)
A VISIT TO SKANSEN (5/5) (Jimmy: A tour through 500 years of Swedish life and history from the world's first open-air museum.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Evan: 13 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Anneke: 11 R, 2 W
Kathleen: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Evan found the Daily Double on the 8th clue. Anneke had $1,200, Kathleen had $800, and Evan was at $1,600. Evan made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,600.

TREATIES $600: An 1828 peace treaty created this new country as a buffer between Brazil & Argentina

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Evan: $5,600
Anneke: $3,000
Kathleen: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: The first player we introduced on our program today, Evan Beals, is from Grand Rapids, Michigan, and you, I understand, was a captain of your school's...

Evan: Quidditch team, yes. We played--we played Quidditch, and we did pretty well. It helped that our Keeper was 6'8", so could block all the goals.

Alex: Have your own broom and all that?

Evan: Yep. Held the broom between the legs. Looked kinda silly, but we had a good time out there.

Alex: The things we do.

Evan: Things we do.

Alex: Kathleen Guess is from Marion, Kentucky.

Kathleen: Yes.

Alex: Children's librarian.

Alex: Who gets to be me on a lot of occasions. Quizmaster.

Alex: What are the circumstances.

Kathleen: Well, we have--it's teams answer, and we do 10 categories, seven questions apiece. We make up all the questions. Sometimes they're themed: Star Wars, Christmas.

Alex: Where does this take place? At the library, or...

Kathleen: In the library.

Alex: Oh, not at a bar.

Kathleen: No. Unfortunately.

Alex: How unfortunate, I was about to say. You and I agree. All right.

Alex: Anneke Garcia is our champion. Instructional design consultant.

Anneke: Yes.

Alex: Which means what, exactly?

Anneke: Educational materials, so we do a lot of e-learning courses. We also do a little video, interactive PDFs. But it's nice because I get to learn the content at the same time I'm creating the courses. Right now we're doing anatomy and physiology, so I get to bone up on that.

Alex: I have seen children ages 4 and 5 working with little computers.

Anneke: Mm-hm.

Alex: Is that the kind of stuff you prepare also?

Anneke: Yeah, in my field. I personally don't do that; we work with a little bit curmudgeonly more population, but same kind of--same kind of technologies.

Alex: They are so advanced, so smart.

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Evan: $8,400
Anneke: $5,200
Kathleen: $3,600
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WOMEN WRITERS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CLASSIC ALBUMS (5/5)
SHAPELY ADJECTIVES (5/5)
"WEST" WORLD (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE HUNTER (5/5)
HOME FROM THE HILL (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Anneke: 13 R, 0 W
Kathleen: 12 R (including 2 rebounds and 2 DDs), 0 W
Evan: 4 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kathleen snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Anneke had $5,200, Kathleen had $6,400, and Evan was at $6,800. Kathleen wagered $2,500.

WOMEN WRITERS $2000: An auction of this poet's possessions included her copy of "Joy of Cooking" with "Ted likes this" next to a veal recipe
(Alex: And her husband was Ted Hughes.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kathleen who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Anneke had $14,000, Kathleen had $13,700, and Evan was at $7,600. Kathleen wagered $3,000.

"WEST" WORLD $1600: Perth is the capital of this foreign state

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WOMEN WRITERS $1200: "The Minister's Wooing" & "Dread" are lesser-known novels written in 1850s by this American

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kathleen: $21,100
Anneke: $20,000
Evan: $10,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRESIDENTIAL QUOTES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Kathleen: Wager $18,901 to cover Anneke.
Anneke: Wager $0. And if you don't wager $0, certainly wager no more than $9,999, so as to force Evan to be right to have a chance at winning.
Evan: Think about risking all $10,000, or if you think it will be a Triple Stumper, $7,800, thereby beating Kathleen (should Kathleen wager to cover Anneke's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He said, "Victory over (the) Depression will be...by the resolution of our people to fight their own battles in their own communities"

FINAL SCORES
Evan: $10,000 + $0 = $10,000 (Who is Hoover) (2nd place: $2,000)
Anneke: $20,000 + $19,995 = $39,995 (Who is Herbert Hoover?) (4-day champion: $104,497)
Kathleen: $21,100 - $20,013 = $1,087 (Who is F. D. Roosevelt?) (3rd place: $1,000)
(Alex: It was in a radio address in February of 1931.)
(Alex: [To Evan] He was defeated by FDR one year later.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Anneke: $20,000, 24 R, 2 W
Kathleen: $19,200, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Evan: $9,000, 17 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $48,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Anneke: 25/58 = .431
Evan: 18/59 = .305
Kathleen: 18/60 = .300
Team: 61/63 = .968

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
A VISIT TO SKANSEN $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from the Skansen Open-Air Museum in Stockholm, Sweden.) Skansen helps keep alive the culture of the Sami, or Lapp, people, who while finding grazing lands for their reindeer herds were historically known for roaming Norway, Sweden & Finland as this type of wandering society

A VISIT TO SKANSEN $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from the Skansen Open-Air Museum in Stockholm, Sweden.) Skansen preserved the summerhouse from the estate of the great 18th century mystic & author Emanuel Swedenborg, who lived there when he wrote "Secrets of Heaven", a verse-by-verse commentary on these first two books of the Old Testament

A VISIT TO SKANSEN $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from the Skansen Open-Air Museum in Stockholm, Sweden.) Among the 150 historic buildings preserved here at Skansen is the Seglora Church from 1729 & today, one of the region's most popular sites for these ceremonies, "bröllop" in Swedish

A VISIT TO SKANSEN $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from the Skansen Open-Air Museum in Stockholm, Sweden.) Founded in 1891, Skansen Open-Air Museum was the first of a movement to preserve traditional architecture, like the farmhouse with this turf roof, widely used since the time of the Vikings

A VISIT TO SKANSEN $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from the Skansen Open-Air Museum in Stockholm, Sweden.) 18th century pharmacists, or apotekare in Swedish, were very hands-on, preparing drugs via distillation, or with mortar & pestle, or pressing herbs & adding them to alcohol to make these concentrated solutions

SEND ME A LETTER $800: A 6-string guitar's low & high strings are typically tuned to this note
(Anneke: What is G?)

SEND ME A LETTER $1000: It denotes the horizontal axis in a Cartesian coordinate system
(Anneke: What is Y?)

WOMEN WRITERS $1600: This Ayn Rand book ends with the line "Then there was only the ocean and the sky and the figure of Howard Roark"
(Evan: What is Atlas Shrugged?)

CLASSIC ALBUMS $1600: A 2018 50th anniversary reissue of "Cheap Thrills" by Big Brother and the Holding Company showcases this legendary singer

THE HUNTER $1200: The family business of the men seen here was originally based on selling these hunting items

THE HUNTER $2000: This covered hunting structure, seen here, seems to increase the area of the hunter's vision, though the name sounds otherwise

HOME FROM THE HILL $1200: Last name of Charles, dad of NFL commissioner Roger, who lost his Sen. race after his anti-war stance angered Nixon
(Evan: Who is Goodall?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Uruguay
Sylvia Plath
Western Australia
Harriet Beecher Stowe
Herbert Hoover
nomadic
Genesis and Exodus
a wedding
sod
tinctures
E
X
The Fountainhead
Janis Joplin
duck calls
a blind
Goodell
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRESIDENTIAL QUOTES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He said, “Victory over (the) Depression will be…by the resolution of our people to fight their own battles in their own communities”

Anneke Garcia: 20000+19995=39995 (4X = $104,497)
Kathleen Guess:21100-20013=1087
Evan Beals: 10000+0=10000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Herbert Hoover (Kathleen – F.D. Roosevelt)

Daily Doubles
Evan: 1600+1600
Kathleen: 6400+2500
Kathleen: 13700+3000

Coryats
Anneke: 20000
Kathleen: 19200
Evan: 9000

Combined: 48,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Anneke: 5200
Kathleen: 3600
Evan: 8400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Evan had 8400 after the J! round and 10000 for the FJ! round. Ouch on that DJ! round for him.

The players knew most of the material and had a high Coryat of 48,200 that could have gone past 50K if not for big rebounds served up several times.

Anneke played no DDs yet won with close to $40K. She was doing something right in the game other than losing her lead on clue 60.

The FJ! clue seemed like a 50:50 as the guy after Kathleen’s incorrect guess was out due to his appearance in a previous clue. My coin went the right way as I felt the clue had to have more sophistication than just doing a Pavlov off “Depression” to the wrong guy.

Perhaps I had an additional edge just for attending a junior high named for the right guy.

Kathleen did just enough to have the lead for the FJ! round yet could not quite get the big victory.

Anneke’s huge win put her on the Tracker
Spoiler
as the top 4x winner. The players ahead of her:
May 2019 Teacher winner
Teacher Larry
College Dhruv
7x – Josh, Ryan & Kyle
6x - Rob
5x – Gilbert, Rachel & Alan

11th looks good although there is time to fall without a victory #5.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

How appropriate that two close contestants would take opposite sides of the coin toss.

And Evan had his own horns of dilemma with his wager.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Was it just me, or did the show play an ever-so-slightly different musical cue at the point before Johnny read the promotional considerations, as Alex was walking over to the contestant lecterns?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I also guessed FDR.

Congrats to all three on a good game.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Mark: It wasn't you, the music really did sound different during the end.

Ran Movie and Its.

All but figs in Common bonds. Didn't know there was more than one kind.

$200 was my only miss in the Letter category. Wasn't sure if "satisfactory" would be B or C. Although my mom always went apoplectic at anything less than an A+ from me or sister...

Didn't need the Atlas Shrugged neg to get Fountainhead right. Felt proud of myself on that one.

"Hive" as a TOM for Beyonce eluded me (Beyonce sucks, by the way), and blanked on Brian Wilson for 3/5 in Albums. And then I STILL couldn't remember "beehive" when it came up in the Shape clue.

Of all categories, I also ran the Hunting one.

Why should I even guess? No matter what I put down will be wrong.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I didn't see FJ as a coin flip. The quote very strongly outlines Hoover's policy of non-intervention. It's the policy that lost him the election against FDR. It's the polar opposite of FDR's policy of extensive government help to end the Depression. If that quote had somehow come out of FDR's mouth, this FJ would've been one of the biggest negbaits in the show's history.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:58 pm Mark: It wasn't you, the music really did sound different during the end.
Glad I wasn't the only one to think that.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:08 pm I didn't see FJ as a coin flip. The quote very strongly outlines Hoover's policy of non-intervention. It's the policy that lost him the election against FDR. It's the polar opposite of FDR's policy of extensive government help to end the Depression. If that quote had somehow come out of FDR's mouth, this FJ would've been one of the biggest negbaits in the show's history.
Exactly. The quote was pretty much "every man for himself" whereas the New Deal was "we're all in this together".
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

teapot37 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:01 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:08 pm I didn't see FJ as a coin flip. The quote very strongly outlines Hoover's policy of non-intervention. It's the policy that lost him the election against FDR. It's the polar opposite of FDR's policy of extensive government help to end the Depression. If that quote had somehow come out of FDR's mouth, this FJ would've been one of the biggest negbaits in the show's history.
Exactly. The quote was pretty much "every man for himself" whereas the New Deal was "we're all in this together".
Big Government FDR saying that quote? No way! It had to be Hoover. Self-reliance, what a concept! :twisted:
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

These boards were Celebrity Jeopardy level. The combined Coryat was $3200 more than the previous season high (October 8, 2018). A picture of a hunting structure when you're spotted a hint about ironically not being able to see, for $2000?!
Only two choices for Final, but when I saw "battles in their own communities," I thought of the communities derisively named after the correct response.
Hoping for a third lap
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

sarisson wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:25 pm
Only two choices for Final, but when I saw "battles in their own communities," I thought of the communities derisively named after the correct response.
Glad it worked for you, but I doubt that's exactly what Hoover had in mind.
I'm smart and I want respect.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

39 right.

I knew it was either Hoover or FDR; I picked the former because I thought the latter would be too obvious, although reading that quote should have led me to Hoover and away from FDR and the New Deal anyway.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Chalk me up as an FDR miss for taking the Pavlov bait, and
a) being too intellectually lazy to suss out who preceded FDR- I don't have these memorized in order, but would have got there by remembering Hoover Dam, and
b) not reading the actual meaning of the quote to realize it was definitely a paraphrase for "you are basically screwed".

Has Alex ever been this tutorial with betting advice before the FJ clue reveal? Maybe he's sick of bad wagering day after day after day. He might as well have filled out their bets - I don't think 3rd place has (correctly) bet zero in this situation in recent memory.

There were some overvalued clues, but some tough ones also. How the hell do you figure out a hand gesture by it's description to give the ASL for "W"? Too right brainy - left brainy for me.

Anneka seems to be making the game look easy, like DiMaggio in center field.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

It may be good, but does a 5 year old record really count as a “classic album”?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:24 pm
teapot37 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:01 pm
Big Government FDR saying that quote? No way! It had to be Hoover. Self-reliance, what a concept! :twisted:
...I wanted to quote the Penguin as well with a similar sentiment yet my late air time makes me seem moreso like an also-ran.

I answered the first Classic Albums clue at home as... "What is ... ... ... (dejectedly) nevermind."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Has anyone else ever listened to the Christopher Lee heavy metal album where he takes on the role of Charlemagne?

HOLY SHIT A PERFECT J ROUND!

I always want to think that Sylvia Plath died longer ago than she really did

Oh well, whatever, never mind...

JANIS!

Wording of that clue was way too easy for $2000

Holy cow perfect through DJ...

Did...did Alex just acknowledge that wagering strategy is A Thing?

And a perfect game! Wow. (looks at combined players' Coryat) Oh.

Coryat: $54,000. I finally did it.

J: Perfect.

DJ: Perfect.

FJ: Let's see, I don't know the quote, gotta be either FDR or Hoover, FDR is too easy plus the message seems to generally jive more with Hoover's destructive, oppressive, and morally-bankrupt approach to governing and policy, so I'll go with Hoover.

LT: Harriet Beecher Stowe
Last edited by Euphonium on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Volante wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:32 pm I answered the first Classic Albums clue at home as... "What is ... ... ... (dejectedly) nevermind."
In retrospect, I wish I had done it in an Emily Litella voice.