Tuesday, January 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:58 pm Mark: It wasn't you, the music really did sound different during the end.

Ran Movie and Its.

All but figs in Common bonds. Didn't know there was more than one kind.

$200 was my only miss in the Letter category. Wasn't sure if "satisfactory" would be B or C. Although my mom always went apoplectic at anything less than an A+ from me or sister...

Didn't need the Atlas Shrugged neg to get Fountainhead right. Felt proud of myself on that one.

"Hive" as a TOM for Beyonce eluded me (Beyonce sucks, by the way), and blanked on Brian Wilson for 3/5 in Albums. And then I STILL couldn't remember "beehive" when it came up in the Shape clue.

Of all categories, I also ran the Hunting one.

Why should I even guess? No matter what I put down will be wrong.

she does suck...but i got that clue correct
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Beyonce has some good songs. Namely "Halo". I'm not saying everything she does is good, but I wouldn't say she sucks at all.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

Wow. Anneke won over $100,000 in cash. Good for her. She could be in the Tournament of Champions.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:10 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:58 pm Mark: It wasn't you, the music really did sound different during the end.
Glad I wasn't the only one to think that.
It sounded like they took the theme from J!6
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:41 pm Was it just me, or did the show play an ever-so-slightly different musical cue at the point before Johnny read the promotional considerations, as Alex was walking over to the contestant lecterns?
I thought it sounded different too, enough that I rewound my recording and played it again. A more concrete observation I can make on its sound is that the bass stayed on the same note for the first four bars (although that wasn't the only difference, it's the only one I can grasp and explain succinctly).

I'm now rooting for a long run from Anneke so my two pub quiz friends can remain in the running for the next ToC.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Costello: So who was the contestant in the middle chair in today's Jeopardy?
Abbott: Guess.
Costello: I don't know, that's why I'm asking you.
Abbott: I already told you.
Costello: What do you mean?
Abbott: I already told you - Guess.
Costello: You're telling me to take a guess when I don't know who it is?
Abbott: Yes.
Costello: Well I'm no TPH so I will take a guess.
Abbott: Correct.
Costello: What do you mean? I haven't taken a guess yet.
Abbott: Yes you have.
Costello: I HAVE NOT TAKEN A GUESS.
Costello: My brain just clavined.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:08 pm I didn't see FJ as a coin flip. The quote very strongly outlines Hoover's policy of non-intervention. It's the policy that lost him the election against FDR. It's the polar opposite of FDR's policy of extensive government help to end the Depression. If that quote had somehow come out of FDR's mouth, this FJ would've been one of the biggest negbaits in the show's history.
Well put. I know FDR and Depression are Pavlovian, but this quote smacked of local-government actions all the way. Although I immediately thought FDR (because of the mention of the Depression), the ideas in the quote were certainly not what he espoused, so I got to Hoover with time to spare.

Too bad for Kathleen that her "FDR" cost her a huge payday, but many congrats to Anneke for a very impressive 4th win.

They really did clean the plate, and I had Z. E. R. O. LT despite my own Coryat of over $36K.

Ran the Categories: Movies, Treaties, Hunter.

I THOUGHT I would scoop up some LT on the last clue, as "McCain-Feingold" (hope I'm spelling that right) seemed pretty tough. But they got that one too. Very impressive game overall.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

harrumph wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:22 am Costello: So who was the contestant in the middle chair in today's Jeopardy?
Abbott: Guess.
Costello: I don't know, that's why I'm asking you.
Abbott: I already told you.
Costello: What do you mean?
Abbott: I already told you - Guess.
Costello: You're telling me to take a guess when I don't know who it is?
Abbott: Yes.
Costello: Well I'm no TPH so I will take a guess.
Abbott: Correct.
Costello: What do you mean? I haven't taken a guess yet.
Costello: I HAVE NOT TAKEN A GUESS.
Costello: My brain just clavined.
And THANKYOUVERYMUCH for my laugh of the day!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

sarisson wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:25 pm Only two choices for Final, but when I saw "battles in their own communities," I thought of the communities derisively named after the correct response.
"Hoovervilles" is what my wife said tipped it for her, too.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:12 pm Chalk me up as an FDR miss for taking the Pavlov bait, and
a) being too intellectually lazy to suss out who preceded FDR- I don't have these memorized in order, but would have got there by remembering Hoover Dam, and
b) not reading the actual meaning of the quote to realize it was definitely a paraphrase for "you are basically screwed".

Has Alex ever been this tutorial with betting advice before the FJ clue reveal? Maybe he's sick of bad wagering day after day after day. He might as well have filled out their bets - I don't think 3rd place has (correctly) bet zero in this situation in recent memory.

There were some overvalued clues, but some tough ones also. How the hell do you figure out a hand gesture by it's description to give the ASL for "W"? Too right brainy - left brainy for me.

Anneka seems to be making the game look easy, like DiMaggio in center field.
Re the ASL clue, I got it two ways; One: My wife's nine year old twins visited us recently and one of them ran through the alphabet in ASL that she had just learned in school. I asked her how she learned it so quickly, she replied "It's easy". I asked her to do it again and I saw what she meant. Two: If you follow the clue's wording, you end up with three fingers standing up, voila! W.

Also kudos to Harrumph for the A&C bit. So the middle chair was occupied by Correct?
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

When my wife and I were in Stockholm, we visited Skansen. Our first stop there--and I insisted on this--was the enclosure where the wolverine lived (hey, I'm from Michigan and went to U-M). I also remember stepping inside the Seglora Church and seeing a sod-roofed house. Also a glass-blowing exhibition.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I knew that whatever I put down would be wrong. I kinda forgot that Hoover even existed.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Only missing Tinctures, Blind, Nevada, and Russ Feingold.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Harriet Beecher Stowe(The only stumper of the game. :shock: )
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Blue Lion wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:35 pm When my wife and I were in Stockholm, we visited Skansen. Our first stop there--and I insisted on this--was the enclosure where the wolverine lived (hey, I'm from Michigan and went to U-M). I also remember stepping inside the Seglora Church and seeing a sod-roofed house. Also a glass-blowing exhibition.
Skansen is sort of Stockholm's version of Greenfield Village!
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:15 pm
Blue Lion wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:35 pm When my wife and I were in Stockholm, we visited Skansen. Our first stop there--and I insisted on this--was the enclosure where the wolverine lived (hey, I'm from Michigan and went to U-M). I also remember stepping inside the Seglora Church and seeing a sod-roofed house. Also a glass-blowing exhibition.
Skansen is sort of Stockholm's version of Greenfield Village!
Yes, that is exactly how my wife described it. The visit was worth every kronor we spent.
OldSchoolChamp

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:12 pm Has Alex ever been this tutorial with betting advice before the FJ clue reveal? Maybe he's sick of bad wagering day after day after day. He might as well have filled out their bets - I don't think 3rd place has (correctly) bet zero in this situation in recent memory.
On the contrary, it’s player B (Anneke) who should stand pat in this scenario, accepting a possible tie if C doubles up rather than risk getting passed from behind by venturing even a dollar. C (Evan) should go all in and hope for a right answer along with a miss by A and either a miss or a $0 bet by B.

If A (the leader, Kathleen) could count on all that, she could win the game Shoretegically by standing pat. Of course, experience shows that most B players will instead, predictably, go for the whale bet, which is why I’m a nonbeliever in Shore’s Conjecture.

As to this . . .
being too intellectually lazy to suss out who preceded FDR- I don't have these memorized in order
Learn them!
We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

FJ was a WECIB. Did they really think that was a tough curveball? I can't believe a J! contestant would fall for the FDR 'trap' on this one.
I guess it goes hand in hand with the all too common poor FJ wagering, which this game made a good case of.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:35 am FJ was a WECIB. Did they really think that was a tough curveball? I can't believe a J! contestant would fall for the FDR 'trap' on this one.
I guess it goes hand in hand with the all too common poor FJ wagering, which this game made a good case of.
Right, because everyone is an expert on 20th century U.S. history.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:03 am
Category 13 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:35 am FJ was a WECIB. Did they really think that was a tough curveball? I can't believe a J! contestant would fall for the FDR 'trap' on this one.
Plus, everyone got enough sleep the night before.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

harrumph wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:04 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:03 am
Plus, everyone got enough sleep the night before.
At a Holiday Inn Express, no less.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)