Wednesday, January 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7908, 2019-01-16

CONTESTANTS
Jill Cochran, a retired technical trainer from Huntington, West Virginia
John Presloid, a microbiologist from Perrysburg, Ohio
Anneke Garcia, an instructional design consultant from Salt Lake City, Utah (whose 4-day cash winnings total $104,497)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Let's see if I can do some quick math here. Divide $104,000-plus by 4 appearances, and that means that Anneke Garcia, our champion, is averaging over $26,000 per show. $26,000.

Anneke: Yeah.

Alex: Wow. John and Jill. Not Jack and Jill. Welcome aboard. Here we go. Let's find out about the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COUNTRIES (4/5)
ABBREVIATED REALITY SHOWS (4/5)
A NUMBER BETWEEN 1 & 100 (4/5)
APPROPRIATE NAMES (3/5)
ENGLISH ROYAL FIRSTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SHOP TALK (4/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 9 R, 0 W
Jill: 8 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Anneke: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jill: $2,200
John: $2,000
Anneke: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jill Cochran from West Virginia is a bit of a trendsetter. You were one of the first women to become members of...

Jill: The West Virginia University Mountaineer Marching Band.

Alex: Gosh.

Jill: And now there are more women than men in the band.

Alex: Good for you guys. Way to go. And I bet you play better, too.

Alex: John Presloid from Perrysburg, Ohio. Microbiologist. Also a soccer fan, because you tried out for a professional team, I hear.

John: Well, semi-pro.

Alex: Semi-pro.

John: Yes.

Alex: All right.

John: It was a fourth division team up in Toledo. They were starting a new team, and they were looking for open tryouts, and I thought I'd give it a shot.

Alex: There have been some great, positive stories about open tryouts. You gave it a shot. You didn't quite make it.

John: There was a lot of--

Alex: Are you gonna try again?

John: No.

Alex: No? Once is enough.

John: I don't have the ball skills.

Alex: Oh. Okay.

Alex: Anneke Garcia is our champion. She has danced and deejayed swing and blues competitions, or what?

Anneke: Yeah. We just had a local club, and this was in my grad school days. Our swing was kind of the lindy hop scene, and then we had a blues scene on the side. It was mostly a bunch of white kids, but we tried to get a little bit of rhythm going in there, and it was a lot of fun.

Alex: Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jill found the Daily Double on the 16th clue. Anneke had $600, John had $2,000, and Jill was at $2,200. Jill wagered $1,800.

ENGLISH ROYAL FIRSTS $600: In 2017 Elizabeth II celebrated 65 years--the first jubilee named for this gemstone, inspiring a blue 5-pound stamp

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A NUMBER BETWEEN 1 & 100 $800: It's the number in the title of the patriotic painting seen here
(Anneke: What is 4?)
(Jill: What is 1770--ah! No.)

COUNTRIES $1000: Ras Dashen, this African country's highest peak, has been translated as "General Who Fights in Front of the Emperor"

APPROPRIATE NAMES $800: Bert Beveridge would, of course, make drinks: he produces this "handmade vodka"

ABBREVIATED REALITY SHOWS $1000: Robert Kulp & Mike Whiteside restore, repurpose or resell objects rescued from job sites:
"SD"

APPROPRIATE NAMES $400: Igor Judge went into law & in 2013 retired as a high judge of England & Wales called lord this, much like the USA's top judge
(Jill: What is Supreme?)
(Alex: No.)
(Jill: Justice.)
(Anneke: What is justice?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jill: $5,400
John: $4,200
Anneke: $3,000
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SIGH... POLI SCI (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
HISTORY OF MEDICINE (4/5)
UNLIKELY POP CULTURE PAIRINGS (5/5)
CIVIL WAR POETRY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
DON'T GO TO TOWN (4/5)
"SHOP" TALK (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jill: 7 R, 1 W
Anneke: 11 R, 5 W (including 2 DDs)
John: 6 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Anneke snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Anneke had $9,800, John had $5,400, and Jill was at $7,400. Anneke wagered $3,000.

SIGH... POLI SCI $1200: This 1994 Harrison Ford film title was part of Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.'s argument about limitations to free speech
(Anneke: What is Fugitive?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Anneke who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Anneke had $10,000, John had $6,200, and Jill was at $9,800. Anneke wagered $1,000.

CIVIL WAR POETRY $1200: Whitman mourned Lincoln in "When" these flowers "Last In the Dooryard Bloom'd"
(Anneke: What are roses?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HISTORY OF MEDICINE $2000: German physician Paul Langerhans made important discoveries studying this organ in rabbits

"SHOP" TALK $1200: The king's ones start each game on the F1 & F8 squares
(Anneke: What are chess pieces?)

DON'T GO TO TOWN $1200: This New York City region is bounded by 14th Street & Houston Street, west of Broadway
(Jill: What is Soho?)
(John: What is Manhattan?)

CIVIL WAR POETRY $1600: This poet famous for "The Wreck of the Hesperus" also depicted the 1862 sinking of the Cumberland

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jill: $14,200
Anneke: $9,800
John: $7,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PEOPLE & PLACES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Jill: Wager $5,401 to cover Anneke.
Anneke: You ought to wager to cover John, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $9,800. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $5,000 (to shut out John) or less than $1,000 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by John). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Jill.
John: Considering that you're going to lose on a Triple Stumper by at least $1,400, you need to bet either $2,401, and play for a win if Anneke tries to two-thirds Jill, or bet at least $6,801 to cover Jill's $0 bet (though, from this position, a wager of all $7,400 is acceptable and perhaps preferred).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1790 Thursday October Christian became the first child whose birth was recorded on this remote island

FINAL SCORES
John: $7,400 + $4,600 = $12,000 (What is Pitcairn Island?) (New champion: $12,000)
Anneke: $9,800 - $9,800 = $0 (What is Christmas Island?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jill: $14,200 - $6,401 = $7,799 (What is Bounty?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: The last name should have been very, very helpful.)
(Alex: [To John] Thursday October Christian was the son of Fletcher Christian, the Bounty mutineer.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Anneke: $13,800, 18 R, 7 W (including 2 DDs)
Jill: $13,000, 15 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
John: $7,400, 15 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $34,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Anneke: 18/60 = .300
John: 16/58 = .276
Jill: 15/59 = .254
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ENGLISH ROYAL FIRSTS $1000: King from 1199 to 1216, he was the first to make himself a vassal of the pope

SHOP TALK $600: It's the avian name of the woodworking joint seen here

SHOP TALK $800: To a blacksmith, a hardy hole is a tool-holding socket in one of these heavy blocks
(Alex: With less than a minute.)

SHOP TALK $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents a piece of fabric.) In tailoring, pointed folds sewn into fabric to enhance a garment's shape are called these, like pointed missiles in a pub game

APPROPRIATE NAMES $200: In 2003 Will Wynn ran for mayor of this Lone Star capital city--& he did
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

HISTORY OF MEDICINE $400: The revolutionary 1543 work "Fabrica" gave its author, Vesalius, the title "Father of Modern" this field

HISTORY OF MEDICINE $800: Plato referred to this Greek physician as "The Asclepiad of Cos"
(Anneke: Who is Galen?)

HISTORY OF MEDICINE $1600: Air is forced in & out of the body in tank respirators, also known as these, part of polio treatment in the 1940s & '50s

SIGH... POLI SCI $400: Ostpolitik, initiated by Willy Brandt, was this country's detente policy
(Anneke: What is the Soviet Union?)

UNLIKELY POP CULTURE PAIRINGS $1200: Seen here, this MSNBC host recited some Lil Jon lyrics with Lil Jon sitting right next to her

CIVIL WAR POETRY $800: Bret Harte tells of "John Burns", a senior citizen in this Pennsylvania town who took up arms in July 1863
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
sapphire
Ethiopia
Tito's
Salvage Dawgs
chief justice
Clear and Present Danger
lilacs
the pancreas
bishops
Greenwich Village
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Pitcairn Island
King John
dovetail
anvil
darts
Austin
anatomy
Hippocrates
an iron lung
West Germany
Rachel Maddow
Gettysburg
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PEOPLE & PLACES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1790 Thursday October Christian became the first child whose birth was recorded on this remote island

Anneke Garcia: 9800-9800=0
John Presloid: 7400+4600=12000 (New Champ)
Jill Cochran: 14200-6401=7799

Correct response:
Spoiler
Pitcairn Island (Anneke – Christmas Island) (Jill – Bounty)

Daily Doubles
Jill: 2200+1800
Anneke: 9800-3000
Anneke: 10000-1000

Coryats
Anneke: 13800
John: 7400
Jill: 13000

Combined: 34,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Anneke: 3000
John: 4200
Jill: 5400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Anneke was 0/3 on big clues and that makes it difficult to win a game. John made the sole solve work for the victory as it's not easy to win from third place.

The FJ! clue was a nice aha moment for me as I was able to cross out my E (going for Easter over Christmas) when I realized the Christian path to take. Jill was on the right track but could not seal the deal.

Nice run of games by Anneke and time will tell if her wins/$ are enough to play later in the year. Reminder: The alternate for the previous TOC was 4 wins & $107,000
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I got FJ because similar clues have come up before (notably a FJ in the UToC), but I thought that that was a tough FJ clue. But at least it makes 9 straight FJ gets for me!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Between "last name Christian" = Pitcairn and Langerhans + organ = pancreas, this was a very Pavlovian game.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Having seen several film versions of Mutiny on the Bounty - this was an instaget. I didn’t realize the kid got stuck with such an unusual first and middle name. The date also seemed a little late but close enough to feel pretty confident.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

When Alex gave that post-Think Music hint, I thought it was going to be Christmas Island, too. Wasn't my guess, however. Went with Easter.

Congrats to Anneke on her run and I thought she could pull it off again today. Still no 5-time champs since I've started watching J! daily.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This is my first day watching J! with DirecTV instead of Spectrum. Nice to have closed captioning again.

Another case of me not formatting data correctly, as I consider Hell's Kitchen a cooking show, not a reality show.

This was an insanely tough board IMO. I had about 5-10 answers between both rounds, but was having massive brain sluggishness and couldn't even spit those out in time.

Didn't recognize anything in the left three $400 boxes in DJ! Anyone wanna explain those to me?

I wonder if "bishop" threw them for a loop because it didn't have the same "shop" sound as the other ones.

FJ! was an absolute NHOI for me.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

My favorite clue of the game:

PITY THE FOOL WHO DOESN'T KNOW MR. T MET BOY GEORGE IN A 1986 EPISODE OF THIS SHOW

Since we're allowed to omit leading articles, I shouted out "What is Team?"
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Tack on another good 4-day champ to the ToC bubble. I think several of the 4x champs are capable of winning or otherwise making a deep tourney run, it's a shame they likely will not get a chance. Best of luck to Anneke with a long wait ahead.

Picked up on Fletcher Christian like Jill, but couldn't drudge up the Pitcairn association fast enough. Congrats to John for winning the hard way!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

We've seen the last of good King Richard, ring out the past, his name lives on, and on. Roll out the bones and raise up your pitchers, raise up your glass for good King John!

No "Harry Reasoner" clue?

"We know what that means"--I'm waiting for someone to not.

I remember watching an episode of Pawn Stars where someone was trying to sell them a rusted-out old frame of an iron lung--not even the guts, just the frame--and wanted like $15,000 for it.

RACHEL MADDOW I LOVE YOU!

Coryat: $40,400

J: 24R5P. Got DD. 5/5 on Countries. 4/4 on Shop Talk. 4/5 on Number, Names, and Royal Firsts. 3/5 on Reality Shows.

DJ: 23R7P. 1/2 on DDs. 5/5 on Poli Sci and Medicine. 4/5 on Don't Go. 3/5 on Pop Culture Pairings, Civil War Poetry, and "Shop" Talk.

FJ: No clue. Guessed Tahiti.

LT: Ethiopia, Tito's, Lord Chief Justice, pancreas
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I knee-jerked SoHo, too, but FJ was pretty much an insta.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:39 pm I didn’t realize the kid got stuck with such an unusual first and middle name.
Well, it's not like anyone was around to make fun of him.

Was is just me, or were the bottom row clues really easy tonight?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I am mad as hell because I got Greenwich Village wrong because that contestant started in the middle of the category with that clue. If the category had been played straight down, I would have known the gimmick by that point and not have been distracted by the reference to Houston Street.

If I could make one change in the rules, it would be that categories can only be played from top to bottom. That would also eliminate the necessity of calling out a dollar amount.

So here is my question for you judges. Was my answer of soda shop acceptable? Or is soda not closely enough related to a milkshake as malt obviously is?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I said "Germany" instead of "West Germany". How would that have gone down?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Christian + remote island =Pitcairn. Done.
Ras (anything) should be a Pavlov for Ethiopia.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

DBear wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:58 pm Ras (anything) should be a Pavlov for Ethiopia.
Except for when it's not:

#6199, aired 2011-07-21 MEMBER NATIONS OF OPEC $1000: In March 2011 world oil prices rose due to fighting in this OPEC member's oil cities, like Ras Lanuf
#6076, aired 2011-01-31 ON THE AFRICAN MAP $800: Ras Ben Sakka in this country is the northernmost point in Africa
#5255, aired 2007-06-15 COMPETITORS TO NASA $1600: This country might not run the Port of New York, but it will be home to the Ras Al-Khaimah Spaceport
Spoiler
Libya
Tunisia
United Arab Emirates
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

37 right.

Lach Trash: Ethiopia, Salvage Dawgs, Chief Justice, pancreas, Greenwich Village

I took the Christmas Island route as well; I've heard of both Fletcher Christian and Pitcairn Island, but I didn't know the connection.

Good run by Anneke!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:56 pm My favorite clue of the game:

PITY THE FOOL WHO DOESN'T KNOW MR. T MET BOY GEORGE IN A 1986 EPISODE OF THIS SHOW

Since we're allowed to omit leading articles, I shouted out "What is Team?"
Are you allowed to omit -two- leading articles at once though?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)