FJs for the 1/14/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 1/14/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:48 pm

Originally a folk term for a chronic rash, this phrase got a new meaning as a title for a 1952 stage comedy & later a movie
80%
He said, "Victory over (the) Depression will be...by the resolution of our people to fight their own battles in their own communities"
71%
In 1790 Thursday October Christian became the first child whose birth was recorded on this remote island
66%
After it was auctioned in 2018, a work by this artist was renamed "Love is in the Bin"
78%
In 2000 this man was the host of a No. 1 rated network show & and a No. 2 rated syndicated talk show
55%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
20%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
TREATIES $1000: Future president John Quincy Adams was sent to this Belgian city to negotiate the treaty that ended the War of 1812
80%
CIVIL WAR POETRY $1600: This poet famous for "The Wreck of the Hesperus" also depicted the 1862 sinking of the Cumberland
22%
"C" IN COOKING $1000: This recipe, steak for 2, calls for bearnaise sauce
38%
I have seen a stage production and/or film version of The Seven Year Itch.
22%
Franklin Roosevelt/FDR was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
23%
For the Wednesday FJ! clue I made the Christian to Bounty connection, but did not know the name of the island.
7%
Easter Island or Christmas Island was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
17%
Ryan Seacrest was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
6%
Jeff Probst, Howard, Stern, or Jerry Springer was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
14%

Total votes: 107

Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Re: FJs for the 1/14/19 week

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Last edited by Carpe Diem on Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bartleby
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Bartleby »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Instagets M-W-Th.

I suffered under the misapprehension that Hoover and the Republicans would not have used the term "Depression" and jumped to FDR, ignoring the rest of the question. :x

I was certain WWTBAM was the top show in 2000, so Regis was my immediate and only guess Friday but I was a bit perplexed by the "syndicated" part of the clue. I've always thought Live with... was an ABC show, but it turns out it is produced by WABC in New York, and while it airs on all ABC owned stations, it is syndicated to several affiliates of other networks.

I thought "The Wreck of the Hesperus" was written by Longfellow but clammed thinking he'd died earlier than 1862.

I had "casual atrocity" for "C" IN COOKING $1000.

Never seen The Seven Year Itch.
I would prefer not to.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:34 pm I also got stuck on the idea that the "syndicated talk show" was a radio show.
Wow, I'm a trendsetter!

I also got all but Regis. I didn't remember that he'd hosted Almost Anything Goes, but I do remember that Chambersburg won the championship the first year, and also beat the season two champs in a special match.

I've seen Seven Year Itch (the movie, of course) and have even stood on that subway grate. Didn't draw much of an audience, though.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Never seen Seven-Year Itch
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Also guessed Springer. Remembered him hosting the first season of America's Got Talent, didn't think it was right because 2000 seemed too early, but also wasn't aware that Live With Regis and ______ was syndicated. I was sure it was on a particular network.

I can't remember if I'd have gotten chateaubriand if I had remembered the darned category or if I was already racking my brain for a steak starting with C and knowing full well it wasn't "chuck."
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

On Friday, I pre-called Regis when I saw the category and still feel quite self-satisfied about it. I know that he holds the record for most hours on tv so he would be at the top of the list of Television Personalities.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bartleby wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:08 am I was certain WWTBAM was the top show in 2000, so Regis was my immediate and only guess Friday but I was a bit perplexed by the "syndicated" part of the clue. I've always thought Live with... was an ABC show, but it turns out it is produced by WABC in New York, and while it airs on all ABC owned stations, it is syndicated to several affiliates of other networks.
Not only was it produced by WABC, it was taped in the same building as WWTBAM. Regis didn't have far to go for his two jobs.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
Don't think I've ever seen The Seven Year Itch, but I should have gotten it. I think I said Easter Island on Wednesday (somehow I managed to get months behind on these polls).

314235325(2/2,3/3TT)33(1/2TT,2/3)25542412, 59-36