TD 411 - Millennial Medley Revenge (FINAL Standings)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Re: TD 411 - Millennial Medley Revenge (FINAL Standings)

Post by clt013 »

Thanks for hosting - I enjoyed it (and got the added bonus of a top 10 finish).
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Falcons was a sheep and the only reason I picked it was the satisfaction I got from them losing the Super Bowl after beating the Vikings in the NFC Championship that year.

It is very strange for me to have done well in the game since I don't think my answers were anything special. In TD games I try not to pick the expected sheep and often I don't have the depth of knowledge to know the toughest answers in any set. That leaves me with answers in the middle tier. I will often pick shows/movies/teams I like even if that puts me on the more common side of answers people will know.

Watching J! helps a lot with these games and Millionaire comes in handy as well such as the discussion last season with the Q about Maria Mitchell & Andrea Mitchell.

The biggest surprise of the game was getting Pauling for the bonus as I only guessed him in recalling he won Nobels in two categories, Chemistry & Peace.

Thanks for the game.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Thank you for the kind words, everyone! I'm glad you enjoyed and happy that I could step up and host, at least for one week.
MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:21 am It is very strange for me to have done well in the game since I don't think my answers were anything special. In TD games I try not to pick the expected sheep and often I don't have the depth of knowledge to know the toughest answers in any set. That leaves me with answers in the middle tier. I will often pick shows/movies/teams I like even if that puts me on the more common side of answers people will know.

Watching J! helps a lot with these games and Millionaire comes in handy as well such as the discussion last season with the Q about Maria Mitchell & Andrea Mitchell.
I am in the same boat as you skills wise (for now, at least), and for the most part I try the same tactics you do. This can pose difficulties when writing questions, though, instead of playing them. Including a basic question about Harper Lee is no problem, but providing a challenge, such as including a Castilian author question, can be more difficult.

And yes, the Mitchell and Target questions were both fairly recently on Millionaire, although a handful of these questions have been written for a few weeks, if not months, so those could be entirely coincidental. I believe a handful of the Onion headlines have been the subject of J! clues as well. They say pull from what you know, I guess!

Congrats again on taking the top spot.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Last place *sunglasses emoji*
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

mennoknight wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:33 am Last place *sunglasses emoji*
Someone's gotta do it. Thanks for taking my place for a week.

Thanks for hosting, threearruda! Fun as always to play.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Thanks for a fun game! :D
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

So, this is what a four way tie for 3rd is like 8-) . I only knew two choices on the first question and took Harper Lee over Margaret Mead which meant a co-sheep instead of a singleton and kept me from matching Mark B. I will assume the tie breaker for 3rd involves losing a coin flip and watching Voldemort Tom Brady grind a 7 minute drive to the end zone.
Congrats on the evil cheating soul sucking bastards Patriots well earned run through the playoffs. And thanks for hosting a boomer friendly millenial TD.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AmericanIdiot
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by AmericanIdiot »

Thanks for a well written game. The irony is that I am so not a millennial. But i beat my millennial bar trivia for the first time-he will remain unnamed.And missed first on an easy baby boomer question-Werner Seig Heil Von Braun-which I thought ever millennial would most certainly use.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Thanks again for all of your kind comments everyone. :D
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:41 pm So, this is what a four way tie for 3rd is like 8-) . I only knew two choices on the first question and took Harper Lee over Margaret Mead which meant a co-sheep instead of a singleton and kept me from matching Mark B. I will assume the tie breaker for 3rd involves losing a coin flip and watching Voldemort Tom Brady grind a 7 minute drive to the end zone.
Congrats on the evil cheating soul sucking bastards Patriots well earned run through the playoffs. And thanks for hosting a boomer friendly millenial TD.
As Matthew Slater says, "Heads we win". So as long as you call tails. ;)

I empathize with your plight; had a mental coin flip on one of clt013's recent TD's that eventually cost me a victory as well. If the past is any indication, then you will win TD 415. I would book it right now (....maybe).
AmericanIdiot wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:51 pm Thanks for a well written game. The irony is that I am so not a millennial. But i beat my millennial bar trivia for the first time-he will remain unnamed.And missed first on an easy baby boomer question-Werner Seig Heil Von Braun-which I thought ever millennial would most certainly use.
Ultimately I want everyone to enjoy and play the game, regardless of age, gender, ability and so on. I stated in the intro that you need not be a millennial/youngster/Gen Z'er/whatever to succeed, so I'm grateful to hear that folks of all kinds found the quiz accessible! Although admittedly I love stumping you folks with modern pop music; maybe you can find these lyrics useful when pop culture inevitably invades your next bar trivia night. :D
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host