TD 411 - Millennial Medley Revenge (FINAL Standings)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TD 411 - Millennial Medley Revenge (Q4 Standings)

Post by morbeedo »

Middling at best and falling
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Re: TD 411 - Millennial Medley Revenge (Q2 Standings)

Post by SenseiCAY »

9021amyers wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:11 am
threearruda wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:12 am
SenseiCAY wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:44 pm At least my alternative would've sheeped even worse on Q2...I'm a little embarrassed to say I had a huge country phase and Chattahoochee was one of my favorite songs at some point.
Never be embarrassed to be a fan of 90s country. Never. 8-)
At the very least, don’t be embarrassed by the Class of ‘89 when Bro Country exists in this world.
I think my phase ended around the time "Bro Country" became a thing. This is also one of my favorite videos:

spell4yr
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by spell4yr »

SenseiCAY wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:59 am
SenseiCAY wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:44 pm At least my alternative would've sheeped even worse on Q2...I'm a little embarrassed to say I had a huge country phase and Chattahoochee was one of my favorite songs at some point.
At the very least, don’t be embarrassed by the Class of ‘89 when Bro Country exists in this world.
I think my phase ended around the time "Bro Country" became a thing. This is also one of my favorite videos:

I thought that particular melodic/harmonic fad had finally ended, and then Chris Young (probably the biggest wasted vocal talent of this generation of country music, based on his singles output at least) put it into the copy machine for "Hangin' On". Probably the worst country song of 2018.

But I digress.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

leann rimes seems to always sheep when she is part of a td
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

SenseiCAY wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:59 am

Bo Burnham knows the full formula:

threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Thanks for sharing those videos, SenseiCAY and RJRouge. I too have had a more difficult time listening to country music over the last five years. I still listen, but do not feel the same enjoyment about every song that I did when I was a (younger) kid. Trace Adkins hosts a throwback countdown on SiriusXM's Y2Kountry station that fills my void, if you will. :D

For anyone who might be interested further, Grady Smith has a great video about what's "ruining" country music. Well worth your ten minutes if you care about the genre at all, in my opinion.

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:18 pm leann rimes seems to always sheep when she is part of a td
Yeah I think you make a good point here - can certainly recall other times where she has sheeped. Perhaps this is because she was solidly in the mainstream conscience in the 90s, and not solely an obscure country act.
morbeedo wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:57 am Middling at best and falling
It's still early, do not despair yet!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

5.) Warm Weather

College students are notoriously associated with spring break destinations such as the Carolinas (I have multiple friends at colleges down there), California and Florida. Daytona International Speedway in Florida is known as the World’s Center of Racing. With this year’s race upcoming, name any driver who has won the Daytona 500 between 1959 and 2018.

Really smart usage of the sheep option by immaf and RJRouge - most of you escaped this question with minimal damage!

A current FOX analyst is our sheep, a one-hit wonder got used twice and Dale Jr. goes untouched.

INCORRECT - 8
mennoknight (Bobby Rahal - Indycar)
ChexMix (Kyle Busch - believe it or not, he hasn't won the 500 yet)
heppm01 (Bobby Unser - Indycar)

SHEEP - 3
immaf
RJRouge

Darrell Waltrip (1989) - 3 (SHEEP!)
ElendilPickle
econgator
badgerfellow

Richard Petty (1964, 1966, 1971, 1973, 1974, 1979, 1981) - 2
twelvefootboy
gamawire

Mario Andretti (1967) - 2
blueoncemoon
Enormous Jeans

Cale Yarborough (1968, 1977, 1983, 1984) - 2
Peachbox
merica

Jeff Gordon (1997, 1999, 2005) - 2
MarkBarrett
AgentSeto

Michael Waltrip (2001, 2003) - 2
SenseiCAY
clprez

Trevor Bayne (2011) - 2
spell4yr
jbeltz

Tiny Lund (1963) - SINGLETON!
floridagator

Buddy Baker (1980) - SINGLETON!
Rackme32

Bill Elliott (1985, 1987) - SINGLETON!
casketromance

Derrike Cope (1990) - SINGLETON!
clt013

Davey Allison (1992) - SINGLETON!
Euphonium

Dale Jarrett (1993, 1996, 2000) - SINGLETON!
classicroadster

Dale Earnhardt, Sr. (1998) - SINGLETON!
AmericanIdiot

Ward Burton (2002) - SINGLETON!
9021amyers

Joey Logano (2015) - SINGLETON!
LucarioSnooperVixey

DROP
Magna
MattKnowles
morbeedo

Notable Unused/Drivers you may have heard of:
Lee Petty (1959)
David Pearson (1976)
Bobby Allison (1978, 1982, 1988)
Dale Earnhardt, Jr. (2004, 2014)
Jimmie Johnson (2006, 2013)
Kevin Harvick (2007)
Matt Kenseth (2009, 2012)
Denny Hamlin (2016)
Austin Dillon (2018)

And of course there are many others...

BONUS (-2): In 2010, my favorite driver won the longest running of the 500 in terms of distance and time between the drop of the green and checkered flags. This was due in part to two long red flags for pothole repair (Bondo, anyone?), and multiple green-white-checker attempts. Identify this winning driver, also a Brickyard 400, Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona and NASCAR All-Star Champion who recently joined FOX Sports’ NASCAR RaceHub team. (Answer may be repeated).

I’m always impressed when some of you folks can pull strange things that I am interested in. He’s been my favorite driver since 2005, and I’m very bummed over his impending retirement. -2 to the following for correctly identifying Jamie McMurray.

jbeltz
floridagator
spell4yr
Euphonium

Some of you got real close with right-era responses of Matt Kenseth, Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Jimmie Johnson, Denny Hamlin, Carl Edwards and others. Great guesses, but not quite.

BWA, by far, was Dick Trickle.

6.) Prom Night Redux: More Contemporary pop music junk

You know the drill. Identify the SINGER based on the admittedly more cringe worthy than last time recent lyrics below. LETTER REQUIRED. (NOTE: at least one of these songs has two or more credited artists. In that case, I’m looking for the artist responsible for singing that given lyric)

A.) “Oh baby/Why don’t you just meet me in the middle?” (Maren Morris, "The Middle")
B.) “Damn my AP goin’ Psycho/lil’ mama bad like Michael” (Post Malone, "Psycho")
C.) “Yeah she wanna get married/But she don’t wanna marry me” (Thomas Rhett, "Marry Me")
D.) “Kiki, do you love me?/Are you riding?/Say you’ll never ever leave..” (Drake, "In My Feelings")
E.) “Now I like dollars, I like diamonds/I like stunting, I like shining” (Cardi B, "I Like It")
F.) “Thank u, next/I’m so .. grateful for my ex” (Ariana Grande, "thank u, next")
G.) “I still see your shadows in my room/Can’t take back the love that I gave you” (Juice WRLD, "Lucid Dreams")
H.) “Thinking you could live without me/Live without me" (Halsey, "Without Me")
I.) “Listen to my heart go ba-dum/Boo’d Up” (Ella Mai, "Boo'd Up")
J.) “I just had to let you know you’re mine/Hands on your body/I don’t want to waste no time” (Bazzi, "Mine")
K.) “I knew from the first time, I’d stay for a long time/I like me better when... I’m with you” (Lauv, "I Like Me Better")
L.) “You say you love me, I say you crazy/We’re nothing more than friends” (Anne-Marie, "Friends")

OH BOY! For the 18 (!) of you who dropped this, at least be thankful I didn’t make this an audio question. :twisted: As an aside, I wonder what the record is for most drops on a single question. The drop rate hovered just under 53% this time.

INCORRECT - 9
Magna (F. Swift - it’s a really really good guess though)

SHEEP - 4
morbeedo

A.) Maren Morris - 4 (SHEEP!)
LucarioSnooperVixey
merica
clt013
gamawire

F.) Ariana Grande - 3
MarkBarrett
casketromance
heppm01

I.) Ella Mai - SINGLETON!
mennoknight

D.) Drake - SINGLETON!
MattKnowles

G.) Juice WRLD - SINGLETON!
floridagator

H.) Halsey - SINGLETON!
ElendilPickle

C.) Thomas Rhett - SINGLETON!
spell4yr

DROP
SenseiCAY
twelvefootboy
9021amyers
Peachbox
Rackme32
clprez
classicroadster
immaf
AmericanIdiot
ChexMix
badgerfellow
Euphonium
econgator
jbeltz
RJRouge
AgentSeto
blueoncemoon
Enormous Jeans

UNUSED
B.) Post Malone
E.) Cardi B (I don’t blame you at all for not picking her…)
J.) Bazzi
K.) Lauv
L.) Anne-Marie

Bonus (-2): She was the headlining act at my college’s spring concert last year; only eight months older than I am, her 2016 debut album was entitled “Sit Still, Look Pretty”.

Clearly, I need to help you folks brush up on your pop culture. Anywho, this youngster put on a great show for my school, so -2 to the following who correctly identified Daya as the right answer (a.k.a. Grace Tandon).

9021amyers
LucarioSnooperVixey
floridagator
ElendilPickle
spell4yr
gamawire

Actual effort BWA’s include Sabrina Carpenter and Dua Lipa, both of whom I am a fan of, as well as Selena Gomez, Ella Mai, Alessia Cara and several other plausible guesses.

BWA, by far, was Lil’ Stevie Nicks Jr.

STANDINGS

RANK - USER - DROP/SHEEP left - SCORE - MOVEMENT

1. floridagator [s] - 6 (+1)
T-2. clprez [s] - 9 (---)
T-2. 9021amyers [s] - 9 (+4)
T-2. AmericanIdiot [s] - 9 (+2)
5. MarkBarrett [s] - 11 (-4)
T-6. LucarioSnooperVixey [d][s] - 12 (-1)
T-6. Enormous Jeans [s] - 12 (--)
T-6. jbeltz [s] - 12 (+5)
9. ElendilPickle [d][s] - 13 (-1)
10. twelvefootboy [s] - 14 (+1)

T-11. casketromance [d][s] - 15 (-3)
T-11. MattKnowles [s] - 15 (+2)
T-13. clt013 [d][s] - 16 (-5)
T-13. SenseiCAY [s] - 16 (---)
T-13. AgentSeto [s] - 16 (---)
T-13. Peachbox [s] - 16 (---)
17. RJRouge - 17 (-4)
T-18. econgator [s] - 18 (---)
T-18. immaf [s] - 18 (---)
T-18. Euphonium [s] - 18 (+11)
T-18. spell4yr [d][s] - 18 (+9)

22. morbeedo - 19 (-4)
T-23. badgerfellow [s] - 20 (+1)
T-23. blueoncemoon [s] - 20 (+3)
T-23. Rackme32 [s] - 20 (+4)
26. classicroadster [s] - 21 (+5)
T-27. merica [d][s] - 23 (-3)
T-27. gamawire [d][s] - 23 (---)
T-29. Magna [s] - 24 (-11)
T-29. ChexMix [s] - 24 (-6)
31. heppm01 [d][s] - 26 (-13)
32. mennoknight [d][s] - 31 (---)

Perhaps to be expected, not a lot of change in the standings today. Floridagator moves to the top perch after accumulating a net loss of 2 points from today’s questions! 9021amyers makes a jump into the top five, while MarkBarrett, clprez and AmericanIdiot loom close behind. What will happen tomorrow when we restore order in the TD with bad business and the west coast? Stay tuned!
Last edited by threearruda on Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

threearruda wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:32 am Thanks for sharing those videos, SenseiCAY and RJRouge. I too have had a more difficult time listening to country music over the last five years. I still listen, but do not feel the same enjoyment about every song that I did when I was a (younger) kid. Trace Adkins hosts a throwback countdown on SiriusXM's Y2Kountry station that fills my void, if you will. :D
My take: the art of storytelling has become a lost art in country songwriting, and it reflects a genre where the radio is still the gatekeeper. Since the industry blacklisted the Dixie Chicks in the early 2000s, few people in country music are willing to address any topic that could be remotely controversial, and thus the content has devolved to little more than chichéd-to-death love songs and “drinking beers at the truck party” escapism.

A single-strategic drop-bonus combo pays off big for me. I knew better than to pick one of the fluke winners (namely Lund, Cope, and Bayne), but there are too many recently-retired NASCAR drivers these days to pull out the bonus. (The previous generation all drove well into their fifties!) I knew Daya only because she was featured on a Chainsmokers song a couple of years ago that was so awful, I had to look up the names of everyone involved. If you think I don’t like country music, do not ask for my opinion of the Chainsmokers.
spell4yr

Re: TD 411 - Millennial Medley Revenge (Q6 Standings)

Post by spell4yr »

I mainly got McMurray because, to my recollection, he was the biggest-name driver to get forced out retire after last year, only racing the 500 this year. (I seemed to recall Kahne was stepping away entirely from NASCAR and not going into TV, and didn't remember him winning the 500.) I should probably triple-check this on Jayski unless ESPN's already pulled it offline. :x

And here I go piling on bro-country, and then get a singleton with one of the Bromasters. Unfortunately my wife really likes Thomas, to the point where I had to take her to a Brandon Lay/Old Dominion/Thomas Rhett concert last year (she decided she wasn't feeling well as the headliner, Kenny Chesney, took the stage -- I'm not that much more a fan of him, but at least many of his songs fall in the storytelling category). And also unfortunately, "Marry Me" is the closest thing to a good song he has.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

Begging your pardon, but I am marked as still having my Sheep available, but I used that on the Indy 500 question.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The drop for the music would have had me in the mix as well except I put the Ariana Grande song in the Current Events thread and knew that one. Only that one.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

RJRouge wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:53 pm Begging your pardon, but I am marked as still having my Sheep available, but I used that on the Indy 500 question.
Fixed. Thanks for the catch. :)
9021amyers wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:41 am My take: the art of storytelling has become a lost art in country songwriting, and it reflects a genre where the radio is still the gatekeeper. Since the industry blacklisted the Dixie Chicks in the early 2000s, few people in country music are willing to address any topic that could be remotely controversial, and thus the content has devolved to little more than chichéd-to-death love songs and “drinking beers at the truck party” escapism.

A single-strategic drop-bonus combo pays off big for me. I knew better than to pick one of the fluke winners (namely Lund, Cope, and Bayne), but there are too many recently-retired NASCAR drivers these days to pull out the bonus. (The previous generation all drove well into their fifties!) I knew Daya only because she was featured on a Chainsmokers song a couple of years ago that was so awful, I had to look up the names of everyone involved. If you think I don’t like country music, do not ask for my opinion of the Chainsmokers.
That's a fascinating take, makes a lot of sense to me. NASCAR is facing a similar ordeal; Brian France got lambasted in the public eye for supporting the President (and vice versa), so perhaps the fear of receiving bad press forces those changes away from traditional ways of operation. Need to keep sponsors and fans happy.

You did play that question real well, nice work. It's a shame that the drivers are retiring younger, but with fewer rides than ten years ago and with several cheaper young drivers, it makes sense. We talked about the Chainsmokers at length in my last TD so I'll take your word for how much you (and others) dislike them LOL.

spell4yr wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:20 pm I mainly got McMurray because, to my recollection, he was the biggest-name driver to get forced out retire after last year, only racing the 500 this year. (I seemed to recall Kahne was stepping away entirely from NASCAR and not going into TV, and didn't remember him winning the 500.) I should probably triple-check this on Jayski unless ESPN's already pulled it offline. :x

And here I go piling on bro-country, and then get a singleton with one of the Bromasters. Unfortunately my wife really likes Thomas, to the point where I had to take her to a Brandon Lay/Old Dominion/Thomas Rhett concert last year (she decided she wasn't feeling well as the headliner, Kenny Chesney, took the stage -- I'm not that much more a fan of him, but at least many of his songs fall in the storytelling category). And also unfortunately, "Marry Me" is the closest thing to a good song he has.
:cry:

Kahne stepped away for health reasons and he'll be racing World of Outlaws this year, I believe. He never won the 500 and was never really in contention to win one either, if memory serves. Jayski was actually pulled offline just this week, but I think someone already archived the site to the wayback machine. Also cry LOL.

My personal take on T.R.: I like him more than other similar acts, and Marry Me is easily his best song in my opinion, so at least we can agree on that front!

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

7.) They’ve Ruined Everything!

We get lots of flak for causing “damage” to society.. Whatever that means. However bad we are, though, we’ve got nothing on some of these people. Answer a question about some bad business decisions!
  • Ken Lay founded this company in 1985; by 2001, false accounting led to its demise (Enron)
  • Much-maligned NASCAR CEO Brian France was arrested for DUI after the 2018 race at Watkins Glen in this state (New York)
  • CEO Roberto Goizueta was largely responsible for what product introduced in April 1985? (New Coke)
  • An early victim of the dot-com boom, this San Francisco retailer with a sock puppet mascot lost most of its money on sales and closed in 2000 after only two years in operation (Pets.com)
  • Another famous dot-com era saga, Gerald Levin of Time Warner hastily accepted a merger with this brand new company, whose stocks plunged soon after (AOL)
  • This company had a monopoly on telegraphs and declined a $100,000 offer for a patent on A.G. Bell’s telephone, calling the invention a novelty (Western Union)
  • Excite CEO George Bell turned down an offer to buy this search engine for under a million dollars; Bad call, Excite would later be swallowed up by Ask Jeeves (Google)
  • Its stock recently falling below a dollar a share, what retailer fired CEO Ron Johnson in 2013 after less than two years for being too honest about fake pricing on clothes? (J.C. Penney)
  • Blockbuster could still be in business had the company accepted a $50 million offer to buy this streaming platform in the early 2000s (Netflix)
  • What retailer’s early 2010s expansion into Canada failed, leaving those stores closed by 2015? (Target)

Dying retail sheeps, while something we (I) use every day finally went unused… hmmmmm…

INCORRECT - 12
SenseiCAY (Toys R Us)
MattKnowles (Wal-Mart)

JC Penney - 7 (SHEEP!)
9021amyers
Magna
merica
floridagator
immaf
heppm01
gamawire

Target - 6
casketromance
mennoknight
LucarioSnooperVixey
ChexMix
spell4yr
Euphonium

New York - 5
Rackme32
clprez
classicroadster
badgerfellow
econgator

Pets.com - 3 (because pets can't drive...)
Peachbox
RJRouge
jbeltz

Enron - 3
twelvefootboy
clt013
AmericanIdiot

Netflix - 2
MarkBarrett
AgentSeto

New Coke - 2
ElendilPickle
blueoncemoon

Western Union - SINGLETON!
morbeedo

AOL - SINGLETON!
Enormous Jeans

NO DROPS

UNUSED
Google

8.) West Coast Bias

Because, that’s a thing. Apparently. Answer these questions about the western United States (and Canada!).
  • The Experience Music Project in Seattle (now the Museum of Pop Culture) was designed by which notable architect? (Frank Gehry)
  • This landmark is actually international orange, not its namesake color (Golden Gate Bridge)
  • The most recent Heisman winner from the Pac-12 conference, this Oregon Duck passed and caught his first NFL playoff touchdown in 2018 for the Titans (Marcus Mariota)
  • What California city houses eBay’s headquarters? (San Jose)
  • Auditioning for American Idol at 16, in recent years what blonde California-born pop singer has been a part of the rotation of Nationwide jingle singers and was featured on 2017 country song “Take Back Home Girl”? (Tori Kelly)
  • Oregon and this other state are the only ones where you cannot pump gas without the aid of an attendant (New Jersey)
  • In 1542, this Portuguese explorer led the first European expedition to San Diego Bay (Juan Cabrillo)
  • California was named for an island ruled by Queen Calafia in a work by this Castilian author (Garci Rodriguez de Montalvo)
  • Arnold Schwarzenegger was elected governor of California in 2003, replacing what incumbent in a recall vote? (Gray Brown)
  • College basketball power Gonzaga University is located in what Washington city? (Spokane, Washington)
  • Luge and skeleton events, notably, took place at what course during the 2010 Vancouver Olympics? (Whistler Sliding Center)
SHEEP - 6
blueoncemoon

Spokane - 6 (SHEEP!)
Rackme32
classicroadster
immaf
clt013
badgerfellow
Jbeltz

Gray Davis - 5
SenseiCAY
clprez
MattKnowles
RJRouge
Peachbox

Marcus Mariota - 4
casketromance
9021amyers
ChexMix
Euphonium

New Jersey - 3
AmericanIdiot
econgator
AgentSeto

Golden Gate Bridge - 3
twelvefootboy
LucarioSnooperVixey
floridagator

Juan Cabrillo - 2
MarkBarrett
Magna

Frank Gehry - 2
mennoknight
ElendilPickle

San Jose - SINGLETON!
morbeedo

Tori Kelly - SINGLETON!
spell4yr

Whistler (Sliding Center) - SINGLETON!
Enormous Jeans

DROP
merica
heppm01
gamawire

UNUSED
Garci Rodriguez de Montalvo

BONUS (-2): Nickelodeon’s only show to film the entire series on location, Zoey 101 utilized outside shots of what Malibu college?

About half of you got this one, as I suspected by including Malibu in the hint. -2 to the following for identifying Pepperdine University.

SenseiCAY
MarkBarrett
casketromance
9021amyers
Magna
Peachbox
floridagator
Rackme32
clprez
classicroadster
ElendilPickle
clt013
AmericanIdiot
MattKnowles
badgerfellow
Euphonium
gamawire
jbeltz

BWA, by far, was the Stevie Nicks Academy of Learning.

STANDINGS

T-1. AmericanIdiot [s] - 13 (+1)
T-1. MarkBarrett [s] - 13 (+4)
T-3. floridagator [s] - 14 (-2)
T-3. Enormous Jeans [s] - 14 (+3)
5. ElendilPickle [d][s] - 15 (+4)
6. clprez [s] - 17 (-4)
7. 9021amyers [s] - 18 (-5)
8. jbeltz [s] - 19 (-2)
9. twelvefootboy [s] - 20 (+1)
T-10. LucarioSnooperVixey [d][s] - 21 (-4)
T-10. AgentSeto [s] - 21 (+3)
T-10. morbeedo - 21 (+12)

13. Peachbox [s] - 22 (---)
T-14. casketromance [d][s] - 23 (-3)
T-14. clt013 [d][s] - 23 (-2)
T-16. RJRouge - 25 (+1)
T-16. spell4yr [d][s] - 25 (+2)
T-18. econgator [s] - 26 (---)
T-18. Euphonium [s] - 26 (---)
T-20. blueoncemoon - 28 (+3)
T-20. gamawire [s] - 28 (+7)
T-22. Rackme32 [s] - 29 (+1)
T-22. badgerfellow [s] - 29 (+1)

T-24. MattKnowles [s] - 30 (-13)
T-24. classicroadster [s] - 30 (+2)
T-24. merica [s] - 30 (+3)
T-27. SenseiCAY [s] - 31 (-14)
T-27. immaf - 31 (-9)
T-27. Magna [s] - 31 (+2)
30. heppm01 [s] - 33 (+1)
31. ChexMix [s] - 34 (-2)
32. mennoknight [d][s] - 39 (---)

AmericanIdiot and MarkBarrett skate past floridagator to retake a share of the top spot. Enormous Jeans uses a pair of singletons to leap into contention late, while ElendilPickle moves into the top five as well, just two out of the top spot. Morbeedo rockets into the top ten for the first time this week with a pair of his own singletons. Final results come tomorrow - who will prevail? Stay tuned!

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

threearruda wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:03 am 7.) They’ve Ruined Everything!

[*] Arnold Schwarzenegger was elected governor of California in 2003, replacing what incumbent in a recall vote? (Gray Brown)
You want to fix this? Someone might use these as teachables - I try to, but am beyond reach, lol...
threearruda wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:03 am AmericanIdiot and MarkBarrett skate past floridagator to retake a share of the top spot. Enormous Jeans uses a pair of singletons to leap into contention late, while ElendilPickle moves into the top five as well, just two out of the top spot. Morbeedo rockets into the top ten for the first time this week with a pair of his own singletons. Final results come tomorrow - who will prevail? Stay tuned!
Thank you for the thoroughness and the narration. I don't really develop rooting interests unless the Patriots are playing, in which case I want them to fall below the AllSheep line :lol:
This was a well crafted TD, and maybe my first to get this far with no wrongs.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
spell4yr

Re: TD 411 - Millennial Medley Revenge (Q8 Standings)

Post by spell4yr »

And bro country gets me another singleton. One of the only things more processed than Spam is Chris Lane’s voice.

I may have overexaggerated my feelings on Thomas. At least on his last album, he was just sort of “there” ... not bad, not great. Why they didn’t release “Leave Right Now” to pop radio, I don’t know; it would fit in with the Marshmellos and Chainsmokers of the world.
Last edited by spell4yr on Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Ooh! This is getting fun again :P
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Why does JCPenney always sheep? They have very few stores left.

My friends would rather admit to shopping at thrift stores than Sears or JCPenney.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:55 am
Thank you for the thoroughness and the narration. I don't really develop rooting interests unless the Patriots are playing, in which case I want them to fall below the AllSheep line :lol:
This was a well crafted TD, and maybe my first to get this far with no wrongs.
Thanks much for the compliments! I've had this TD ruminating for a while, and a few final tweaks helped finish this up. I made two small errors on questions that I'll be posting shortly, but by and large I'm glad there were few issues this time.

The narration is fun for me. Keeps things interesting, and especially useful to highlight a player that had a really good day - things that might otherwise go unnoticed.

Also, as a New England diehard, I've grown accustomed to the poking about our constant recent success. ;) :lol:

spell4yr wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:20 am And bro country gets me another singleton. One of the only things more processed than Spam is Chris Lane’s voice.

I may have overexaggerated my feelings on Thomas. At least on his last album, he was just sort of “there” ... not bad, not great. Why they didn’t release “Leave Right Now” to pop radio, I don’t know; it would fit in with the Marshmellos and Chainsmokers of the world.
Oof... you are not wrong, however.

Though I do like T.R. as I stated yesterday, I am also mixed on the Life Changes album if that means anything.
morbeedo wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:20 am Ooh! This is getting fun again :P
You may or may not want to rethink that in a few minutes. *hinds behind a wall*
floridagator wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:04 pm Why does JCPenney always sheep? They have very few stores left.

My friends would rather admit to shopping at thrift stores than Sears or JCPenney.
JC Penney was an anchor store at my semi-local mall growing up; the other anchors were Sears and KMart. Sears bit the bullet in 2014, JCP closed in 2016 IIRC, and KMart finally closed down in early 2018. Your frustration is justified; I have not been in a JCP since they closed at that mall, and there are only a handful near me as well.

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

It's Super Bowl Sunday in real life and for this TD. GO PATS!

9.) STEM

Advancements in science, technology, engineering and mathematics have been an important focus in the educational system in recent years. Answer a STEM related (sort of..) question below!
  • Though not usually harmful (at least as far as I remember), a goiter results from a deficiency of what element? iodine
  • This German-American led development of the Saturn V rocket Wernher von Braun
  • Maria Mitchell was a noted pioneer in what scientific field of study? Astronomy
  • What’s the term for a line on a map connecting points of similar barometric pressure? isobar
  • The 3-D imaging process is also known by what -ography? holography
  • Russell and Carl get caught in a storm of what type of vertical, thunderhead cloud in the movie "Up"? cumulonimbus
  • A personal favorite, a shape with 12 pentagonal sides has what more common name? dodecagon* -- see my note
  • What’s 1 x 2 x 3 x 4 x 5 x 6 x 7 x 8 x 9? 362,880 (9! accepted)
  • Euler’s number, a mathematical constant, can be represented by what letter? e
  • While Watson and Crick get most of the credit, what woman contributed to the discovery of DNA’s shape with her work on DNA’s X-ray diffraction images? Rosalind Franklin

A concept I had trouble understanding in 8th grade sheeps, while some of you display a wonderful ability to multiply numbers.

AUTHOR’S NOTE: I messed up the wording of the 12-sided shape question in the “STEM” set. I wrote 12 pentagonal sides instead of my intended 12 pentagonal faces; 12 pentagonal sides makes no sense.

I must have missed this by mistake in the final edit. Due to my error, I decided to accept both dodecagon (12 sides) and dodecahedron (12 pentagonal faces) as correct responses and grouped those responses together. There were two dodecagon and one dodecahedron response, so scores are not greatly affected.

INCORRECT - 14
morbeedo (Goddard)

Isobar - 9 (SHEEP!)
mennoknight
9021amyers
floridagator
Rackme32
classicroadster
immaf
heppm01
econgator
Magna

Rosalind Franklin - 7
LucarioSnooperVixey
Peachbox
ElendilPickle
AmericanIdiot
Euphonium
RJRouge
blueoncemoon

362,880 (or 9!) - 6
SenseiCAY
merica
MattKnowles
badgerfellow
Enormous Jeans
spell4yr (9! - nice!)

Dodecagon (or dodecahedron) - 3
ChexMix
jbeltz
AgentSeto (dodecahedron)

Iodine - 2
twelvefootboy
clprez

Astronomy - SINGLETON!
MarkBarrett

Cumulonimbus - SINGLETON!
gamawire

DROP
casketromance
clt013

UNUSED
e
Wernher von Braun
Holography

BONUS (-1): Speaking of DNA: Though his chemistry was wrong, which man’s triple helix model of DNA helped Watson, Crick et. al in their research?

We learned a bit about this guy in my AP Biology class a few years ago; -1 to the following for identifying Linus Pauling.

MarkBarrett
Peachbox
floridagator
MattKnowles
blueoncemoon

BWAs were Professor Threetwisties and Felix T. Helix.

10.) Gotta Bounce

We’re almost at the end of this TD, but don’t be too sad. Answer these questions about the ends of things.
  • Derogatory comments about former White House staffer Valerie Jarrett led to this TV reboot’s cancellation after just a few months Roseanne
  • It was announced in 2016 that Andrew Jackson’s reign on the US $20 bill will soon come to an end in favor of which noted female figure of African-American history? Harriet Tubman
  • The Victorian era concluded with the queen’s death in what year? 1901
  • Upon some personnel changes to Binford and the production staff, Tim Taylor quit this show in the three-part series finale of Home Improvement Tool Time
  • According to my professor, at least, the era of Reconstruction in American History typically ends with the election of this man over Samuel Tilden in 1876 Rutherford B. Hayes
  • Technically there were two Southern African wars with the British referred to by this name; one ended in 1881, the other in 1902 Boer War(s)
  • The olecranon can be found at the tip of what body part? elbow* - see note
  • What’s the plastic tip on the end of a shoelace called? aglet
  • Though the name has other definitions, what is the term for the metal band that holds an eraser in place at the end of a pencil? ferrule
  • Truly a storybook ending, former Denver Broncos John Elway (1999) and Peyton Manning (2016) won their second Super Bowls in their last career games. What teams did they beat in those respective Super Bowls? (Pick ONE, will be scored separately. If you put both, I’ll take the first team in your answer space) Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers (respectively)

I also slightly erred on the olecranon question - though this one is less egregious. The olecranon is found on the ulna, but I used the more general term “body part” in the question instead. While the olecranon is on the ulna, based on my phrasing the elbow would have been the first answer accepted. As such, I accepted the elbow and the ulna, and those two responses are grouped together as well (also affects scores by only point; one response of elbow and one ulna).

Thankfully, neither of these mistakes impacted the final result (maybe one spot in the final standings), but I do regret these errors and will do better pinning and checking these questions next time. Hey, if it happens on J! and Millionaire, hopefully you’ll cut me some slack in a more low-stakes environment.

Atlanta “Dirty Birdin’” Falcons - 5 (CO-SHEEP!)
MarkBarrett
casketromance
ChexMix
badgerfellow
Euphonium

Tool Time - 5 (CO-SHEEP!)
Magna
clprez
clt013
MattKnowles
RJRouge

Boer Wars - 4
ElendilPickle
immaf
AmericanIdiot
heppm01

Aglet - 3
LucarioSnooperVixey
jbeltz
Enormous Jeans

Carolina Panthers - 3
merica
classicroadster
spell4yr

1901 - 3
Rackme32
econgator
gamawire

Roseanne - 2
twelvefootboy
mennoknight

Elbow (Ulna) - 2
floridagator (ulna)
blueoncemoon (elbow)

Ferrule - 2
SenseiCAY
9021amyers

Rutherford B. Hayes - 2
Peachbox
morbeedo

Harriet Tubman - SINGLETON!
AgentSeto

NO UNUSED or Drop

TIEBREAKER - FINAL BONUS (-2)

In my four years as a benchwarmer for the varsity basketball team in high school, I wore two different jersey numbers. What is the total sum of these numbers?

Author's Note: In the event of a tie for the lead after question 10, the closest player to the correct number without going over will win the game.

We did not need the tiebreaker, so this bonus proved to be more for show, but one of you did pull out the advertised two point bonus. Conceivably, the number could have fallen anywhere between 3 and 109 when we consider that 54 and 55 are typically the highest allowed jersey numbers at the high school level. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Some of you were on the right track; I saw a 3 (half right), some in the 20s and 30s; nice work for getting that close. BWAs included 69 (lol.. nice), and 555 (I’m going to teach you all about basketball someday!).

Congrats to blueoncemoon for being the only player to correctly guess the number and earn the final two point deduction -- 27! I wore #24 as a freshman and sophomore, before switching to #3 for my junior and senior years; the 3 of course is part of the reason for my username/nickname. 24 + 3 = 27…

The story of the switch and some of the events that happened afterward is a very entertaining one that hopefully I will be able to tell on a game show interview segment someday!

HERE ARE THE FINAL STANDINGS!

32. mennoknight - 50 (---)
T-30. heppm01 - 45 (---)
T-30. Magna - 45 (-3)
29. immaf - 43 (-2)
T-27. classicroadster - 42 (-3)
T-27. ChexMix - 42 (+4)
26. Rackme32 - 41 (-4)
T-24. MattKnowles - 40 (---)
T-24. badgerfellow - 40 (-2)
T-22. SenseiCAY - 39 (+5)
T-22. merica - 39 (+2)

T-20. econgator - 38 (-2)
T-20. Euphonium - 38 (---)
T-18. morbeedo - 37 (-8)
T-18. RJRouge - 37 (-2)
T-16. spell4yr - 34 (---)
T-16. blueoncemoon - 34 (+4)
15. gamawire - 32 (+5)
14. LucarioSnooperVixey - 31 (-4)
13. Peachbox - 30 (---)
12. 9021amyers - 29 (-5)

T-10. casketromance - 28 (+4)
T-10. clt013 - 28 (+4)
T-7. ElendilPickle - 25 (-2)
T-7. jbeltz - 25 (+1)
T-7. AgentSeto - 25 (+3)
T-3. floridagator - 24 (---)
T-3. AmericanIdiot - 24 (-2)
T-3. clprez - 24 (+3)
T-3. twelvefootboy - 24 (+6)
2. Enormous Jeans - 23 (+1)

OUR CHAMP!
1. MarkBarrett - 18 (---)

After a next-to-last place finish in my June TD, MarkBarrett exacts revenge on the Millennial Medley and wins our game by five points! Congrats Mark, and additional kudos for your 1.5 average finish over the last two TDs! Props to Enormous Jeans on an impressive second-place finish, and for our quartet of third place finishers!

Thank you to all of you who entered and had fun with me these past two weeks; special thanks to those who gave commentary in your forms; I love hearing from each of you as you fill these out. Makes the game feel a little more personal and sometimes can be good for a laugh.

Hope to see you all soon for a future TD!

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TD 411 - Millennial Medley Revenge (FINAL Standings)

Post by morbeedo »

Well, 1 wrong answer but I still had fun with his one! Thanks, Millenial ;)