Monday, January 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, January 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7911, 2019-01-21

CONTESTANTS
Humzah Qureshi, an attorney from Washington, D.C.
Kelsey Barcomb, a biomedical scientist from Denver, Colorado
John Presloid, a microbiologist from Perrysburg, Ohio (whose 3-day cash winnings total $67,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hi, folks. We begin this week on "Jeopardy!" with a personable young champion who also happens to be very, very bright. Now some people might think that's a difficult combination...[ laughter ]...to deal with, but, Kelsey and Humzah, it has been done in the past. I mention that to you as encouragement, so good luck to all three of you. Let's go into the Jeopardy! round right now.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TEDDY ROOSEVELT, MEET JACKIE ROBINSON (5/5)
ONE-NAME TV TITLES (5/5)
THIS & THAT (5/5)
FILL IN THE FULL PLACE NAME (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TRANSPORTATION (4/5)
3 G CAPABILITY (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 13 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Kelsey: 8 R, 1 W
Humzah: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Humzah found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. John had no money, Kelsey had $1,000, and Humzah was at $400. Humzah wagered $1,000.

FILL IN THE FULL PLACE NAME $600: "___-Mesa-Scottsdale Metropolitan Statistical Area"
(Alex: Go for the obvious.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
John: $4,000
Kelsey: $1,600
Humzah: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Humzah Qureshi is an attorney from Washington, D.C., who recently became a U.S. citizen, correct?

Humzah: Yes, I did.

Alex: Now, how many people were in the same ceremony at which you received your citizenship?

Humzah: Well, this is funny. It was actually more than usual. About 200, I think, and it was held at the National Archives, 'cause it was the inaugural 200th class or something like that, so instead of a normal courthouse, we actually took over the National Archives in Washington, D.C., and it was a pretty big class.

Alex: And when you're in a group like that, it gets to be fairly emotional, too, doesn't it?

Humzah: Yes, it does, yeah.

Alex: I had the same experience, and I was alone with the judge. And then he passed sentence on me.
[ laughter ]

Alex: Kelsey Barcomb from Denver, Colorado, is a biomedical scientist, and last week on the program, we had a contestant who had hosted a trivia game show. You and a friend did the same thing?

Kelsey: Yes, my best friend and I in college had a trivia radio show on our college radio station where we would ask questions and take callers, but it was on about 1 in the morning, so we did not get many callers, but we had a good time.

[ laughs ]

Alex: Good for you. All right.

Alex: John Presloid is our champion. We keep introducing you as a microbiologist, which means you do what, exactly?

John: I currently work with bacteria. We work with Lyme disease. I'm safe.

Alex: You're working with bacteria?

John: Yes.

Alex: But you're--you're--

John: I'm safe right now.

Alex: Okay.

[ laughter ]

Alex: Let's--let's move on.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TRANSPORTATION $600: Circus performer Wesley Williams rides a 25-foot-high one of these
(John: What is an elephant?)
(Alex: It's a [*]. A very tall [*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
John: $9,200
Humzah: $3,800
Kelsey: $3,200
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, January 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
STEAMY SCIENCE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FOREIGN MONEY (3/5)
LIFE DURING WAR (5/5)
BUST A MOVIE (5/5)
POET IDENTIFICATION, PLEASE (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
RHYME TIME (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 12 R (including 2 rebounds and 2 DDs), 2 W
Kelsey: 7 R, 0 W
Humzah: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 6 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. John had $10,800, Kelsey had $7,200, and Humzah was at $2,600. John made it a True Daily Double, wagering $10,800.

STEAMY SCIENCE $1200: Earthquakes have lengthened the average interval between its famed eruptions of water & steam by about 30 minutes
(Alex: You've been pretty good at finding Daily Doubles and cashing in on them when you do find them.

John: Let's make it a true Daily Double.

Alex: Oh, boy. For $21,600, here's the clue...)
(Alex: You got it, and you just doubled your score.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was John who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 17th clue. John had $27,600, Kelsey had $9,600, and Humzah was at $1,800. John wagered $400.

POET IDENTIFICATION, PLEASE $1600: "Death, be not proud, though some have called thee / Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so"
(Alex: Now you may or may not be aware of the highest score ever... [ laughter ] ...recorded for one "Jeopardy!" program, but if you made this a true Daily Double and responded correctly, you'd be in pretty good shape to top that.

John: My husband would kill me. $400.)
(Alex: Don't you wish you had bet it all? You're at an even $28,000. Go again.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FOREIGN MONEY $1600: Wildlife including rhinos & elephants appear on different denominations of this monetary unit of South Africa
(Humzah: What is the real?)

POET IDENTIFICATION, PLEASE $1200: "A book of verses underneath the bough, a jug of wine, a loaf of bread--and thou"
(Humzah: Who is Shakespeare?)

STEAMY SCIENCE $2000: AKA steam coal, this most abundant type of coal gets its name from a Latin word for "pitch"
(Humzah: What is anthracite?)
(Alex: [*]. Anthracite is much harder.)

FOREIGN MONEY $2000: Just like American kids save pennies, a father in Gogol's "Dead Souls" tells his son, "Keep and save your every" this
(John: What is a ruble?)
(Humzah: What is a shekel?)

RHYME TIME $2000: Sorrow for another's troubles is the subject of this cute little song
(Alex: And that would be a [*]. It rhymes. Not particularly good, but it rhymes.)

POET IDENTIFICATION, PLEASE $2000: "Me, who am only Pippa,--old-year's sorrow, / Cast off last night, will come again to-morrow"
(We have four clues and less than a minute now, Humzah.)

POET IDENTIFICATION, PLEASE $800: "The song of canaries / Never varies, / And when they're moulting / They're pretty revolting"
(Alex: Fun poet named [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
John: $29,600 (lock game)
Kelsey: $10,000
Humzah: -$2,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BROADWAY MUSICALS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place.
John: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $9,599 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Kelsey: You've no hope of catching up... unless John does something stupid. So risk as much as $9,999; you needn't worry about falling into third place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Premiering in 2005, its story is divided into spring, summer, fall & winter, each narrated by one of the 4 male leads

FINAL SCORES
Kelsey: $10,000 - $0 = $10,000 (What is A man for all seasons?) (2nd place: $2,000)
John: $29,600 - $4,600 = $25,000 (What is A Man For All Seasons?) (4-day champion: $92,200)
(Alex, to John: You were right on track with regard to the seasons, but the four seasons in question here are Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, and the Broadway musical is [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
John: $21,200, 25 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Kelsey: $10,000, 15 R, 1 W
Humzah: -$3,000, 12 R (including 1 DD), 7 W
Combined Coryat: $28,200

BATTING AVERAGES
John: 25/60 = .417
Kelsey: 15/58 = .259
Humzah: 12/59 = .203
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TEDDY ROOSEVELT, MEET JACKIE ROBINSON $400: Teddy was born in 1858 on New York's E. 20th street, just across the river from this borough where Jackie would become famous
(Kelsey: What is the Bronx?)

TEDDY ROOSEVELT, MEET JACKIE ROBINSON $600: Jackie was a delegate to the 1964 convention of this party that had sent TR to the White House 60 years before
(Humzah: What is the Bull Moose Party?)

TEDDY ROOSEVELT, MEET JACKIE ROBINSON $1000: Following TR's advice to carry one of these, Jackie used a heavy Louisville Slugger to win the 1949 NL batting title
(Alex: "Carry [*].)

TRANSPORTATION $800: This mode of transport, seen here, got introduced nationally in 2001 on "Good Morning America"

3 G CAPABILITY $400: It's the group name, seen here

THIS & THAT $1000: South Carolina's state tree; it's featured on the state flag, seen here

THIS & THAT $600: Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin touched down at the edge of the Sea of Tranquility in this lunar landing module
(Alex: [*] has landed.)

LIFE DURING WAR $1200: If you were a U.S. male with a birthday of September 14, you might get unlucky No. 001 in the Dec. 1, 1969 lottery for this
(Humzah: What are Social Security numbers?)

STEAMY SCIENCE $800: A steam iron smoothes wrinkles because heat breaks these between molecules of cellulose in fiber like cotton
(Alex: Breaks the [*], correct.)

STEAMY SCIENCE $1600: Boiling water that turns into steam is undergoing this phase change from liquid to gas
(Humzah: What is evaporation?)

FOREIGN MONEY $400: In Mexico, the name of this currency also means "weight," as in a weight of precious metal

LIFE DURING WAR $400: From 1941 to 1944 residents of this city named for a former Soviet leader endured a tragic 872-day siege
(John: What is Stalingrad?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Phoenix
a unicycle
Old Faithful
(John) Donne
the rand
Omar Khayyam
bituminous
kopeck
pity ditty
Robert Browning
Ogden Nash
Jersey Boys
Brooklyn
Republican Party
a big stick
a Segway
a gaggle of geese
palmetto
the "Eagle"
the draft
bonds
vaporization
peso
Leningrad
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BROADWAY MUSICALS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Premiering in 2005, its story is divided into spring, summer, fall, & winter, each narrated by one of the 4 male leads

John Presloid: 29600-4600=25000 (4x = $92,200)
Kelsey Barcomb: 10000-0=10000
Humzah: minus 2600

Correct response:
Spoiler
Jersey Boys (John – A Man for All Seasons) (Kelsey – A man for all seasons)

Daily Doubles
Humzah: 400+1000
John: 10800+10800
John: 27600+400

Coryats
John: 21200
Kelsey: 10000
Humzah: minus 3000

Combined: 28,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
John: 9200
Kelsey: 3200
Humzah: 3800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

That was a huge double-up for John on DD2 to go up to 21600. Alex was of course trying to goad John into doing it again on DD3, but John said his husband would kill him and only bet 400. Naturally it was an easy one and John knew it with no problem.

Numbers at this point matter for John as his 4x total put him on the tracker at:
Spoiler
May 2019 Teacher winner
Teacher Larry
College Dhruv
7x – Josh, Ryan & Kyle
6x - Rob
5x – Gilbert, Rachel & Alan
4xers
#11 Anneke - $104,497
#12 Dave - $100,102
#13 Jonathan - $93,301
#14 Alex - $92,880
#15 John - $92,200
John could have sat on his $29,600 and been #13 while his miss left him in the last spot. A win tomorrow and none of it matters while a loss makes a big difference. We'll see what happens.

The FJ! clue was one where I knew what to do with the seasons while the contestants did not.

The musical came up once before in the FJ! round here with this clue:

#7002, aired 2015-02-10 BROADWAY MUSICALS: Winner of a Tony for Best Musical, it culminates with an induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Kelsey lost today's game, but she can leave knowing she got the Frasier clue. :D
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

So confident that FJ was Spring Awakening that I didn’t consider any alternatives. :oops:

John is a very personable contestant - no offense to his competiton - and I hope he’s the first 5 game winner in a while.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Grand Duchy was IMO the hardest in that name category.

Ran the TV category.

Lynching was my only miss in Jackie Robinson.

Technically didn't get the country music clue, as I had no idea that "G6" stood for anything and have NHO "Gulfstream".

Can't say I've heard of a "puff pastry".

Surprised myself by getting John Donne.

Ancient Mariner = Coleridge is a match I know that I've failed to make many times before. I know both names, but they just won't snap together in my brain

Lach Trash: unicycle, pity ditty, Ogden Nash

No guess on FJ! Even when he said "Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons" I had nothing. I've heard of "Jersey Boys" but have clue zero what it's about.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:28 am The FJ! clue was one where I knew what to do with the seasons while the contestants did not.
Thankfully, I did, too.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

"Seasons? Is it a historical musical? Err.....geez what would a musical have to do with the four seaso....OH!!!!" Finally all those damn Jersey Boys ads come in handy. I wouldn't have known (or cared) what the show was about without them.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

*Me at DD 2 remembering John is a microbiologist* bet it all bet it all bet it all bet it all .... He actually did it!!!! Great move to put the game out of reach. I thought Kelsey played a good game against a tough opponent.

Four seasons/male leads - gotta be Frankie Valli - Jersey Boys. Not an aficionado of the fine arts by any stretch, but no trouble getting that one right.

Elijah Baley wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:43 pm John is a very personable contestant - no offense to his competiton - and I hope he’s the first 5 game winner in a while.
Agreed completely, John seems like a great guy and he's certainly been playing like a ToC competitor. Pulling for him for sure.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Wow, even I could add the four seasons together to come up with Jersey Boys. :o
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

It's always fun to watch Alex bond with his fellow naturalized citizens.

If you're the sort of person who got upset by the Ghostbusters remake, you're the sort of person who deserves to be made upset.

Even if you don't know the relative lengths (and the siege of Leningrad was *famously* long and destructive, though Stalingrad wasn't exactly a picnic), "former leader" is the key there. Also, it gave us one of the greatest and most ambiguous works of orchestral music ever composed.

If I'm Kelsey I bet all - $1. Your only chance of winning is if John does something uncharacteristically idiotic, so may as well go big and leave yourself a margin if you're wrong.

Coryat: $43,800

J: 27R1P2W. Got DD. 5/5 on Teddy/Jackie, This & That, and 3 G. 4/5 on TV Titles, Place Name, and Transportation (I said pants instead of seatbelts. I've had some unpleasant experiences...).

DJ: 24R6P. Got both DDs. 5/5 on Life During War and Bust a Movie. 4/5 on Foreign Money and Rhyme Time. 3/5 on Steamy Science and Poet Identification.

FJ: Got it on a WAG. Never knew there was a musical.

LT: unicycle, Rand, Omar Khayyam, kopek
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I thought this was a very good FJ clue. The kind of clue where you have to go A->B->C rather than just A->B as in the regular game. I initially had no idea, but was able to suss it out.

Had to laugh at the Omar Khayyam clue when I had just watched the Rocky and Bullwinkle clip from the LL Puns recap thread, like, five minutes prior. (I distinctly remember watching that episode of Rocky and Bullwinkle before school when I was probably in 3rd grade.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:28 am That was a huge double-up for John on DD2 to go up to 21600.
I don't remember any other 5 figure TDD's in the two years since I've been lurking here. Maybe Austin did a 10K bet from a bigger stash but he was playing with fun money by his 5th game. Does anyone know offhand the current season high? Or the last bet of this size?
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:28 am #12 Dave - $101,102
#13 Jonathan - $93,301
#14 Alex - $92,880
#15 John - $92,200[/spoiler]

John could have sat on his $29,600 and been #13 while his miss left him in the last spot. A win tomorrow and none of it matters while a loss makes a big difference. We'll see what happens.
Will a second place $2K finish boost him up or does only first place money count? I think it will be a moot point after tomorrow.

I was resigned to FJ failure until twelvefootgirl said "the four seasons", which I managed to not see embedded in the clue. We actually saw Jersey Boys as our obligatory tourist requirement on a quickie visit to the Apple. I do not remember the narrator gimmick but just remember it was a depressing story about a creepy person. It surprises me so many boardies got it when a crack player like John didn't.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Euphonium wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:56 pm FJ: Got it on a WAG. Never knew there was a musical.
What else is there?
I'm smart and I want respect.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Lefty wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:45 pm
Euphonium wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:56 pm FJ: Got it on a WAG. Never knew there was a musical.
What else is there?
Film
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Only missing Lynching and Aggregate.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Unicycle, Rand, Omar Khayyam, Bituminous, Kopek, Pity Ditty, Robert Browning, Ogden Nash

The REVEAL on Daily Double #3. :o

The word Bond was the answer to a clue twice today. I wonder how often there is an answer that is used twice in the same episode in two different categories.
Douglas Squasoni
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

No guess on FJ but like Friday's, kind of a head slapper moment for me afterwards.

John's doing great. I'm a fan. Hopefully he keeps it up.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

40 right.

Lach Trash: rand, pity ditty

I thought about this FJ for a while- I guessed Jersey Boys only because it was the first musical involving 4 male leads that came to mind; it was that as opposed to seeing 4 seasons and then thinking of the group.

John's on a pretty good roll so far; he's also a personable contestant that's easy to root for.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:59 pm The word Bond was the answer to a clue twice today. I wonder how often there is an answer that is used twice in the same episode in two different categories.
I noticed that too. I thought at first that they wanted something else for the second clue (the one about investment kind), but turns out they didn't. Very rare.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:59 pm The word Bond was the answer to a clue twice today. I wonder how often there is an answer that is used twice in the same episode in two different categories.
Here are some instances I found where the same correct response (or a variation thereof) was used twice in one episode in different categories: [edited to add more examples]
Last edited by cheezguyty on Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.