Wednesday, January 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by A drop of golden sun »

I just saw that Rachel went on Twitter and wrote "It was ail!" I listened to it on the Jeopardy Fan website about 20 or 30 times and it is definitely ambiguous. OK, I take her at her word...I don't think she was lying about what she intended to say. BUT I maintain Alex should have asked her to repeat the response.

It is unlikely that anybody will ever read this since it has been a few weeks since the show even aired! I am trying to get caught up in my Jeopardy! watching! But even when I watch it the following day, I miss out on most of the discussion on this site.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

A drop of golden sun wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:55 am I got "The Handmaid's Tale" but I began writing with only about 5 seconds left in the music, not enough time to write it all down! I would have been ruled incorrect because the pen would have turned off before I completed it. If I had written "What is" while I was stumped I probably could have completed it!
Contestants are instructed to write down "Who is" or "What is" before the clue is given, so you would not have needed to write that down during the 30 seconds anyway.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

A drop of golden sun wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:12 am I just saw that Rachel went on Twitter and wrote "It was ail!" I listened to it on the Jeopardy Fan website about 20 or 30 times and it is definitely ambiguous. OK, I take her at her word...I don't think she was lying about what she intended to say. BUT I maintain Alex should have asked her to repeat the response.

It is unlikely that anybody will ever read this since it has been a few weeks since the show even aired! I am trying to get caught up in my Jeopardy! watching! But even when I watch it the following day, I miss out on most of the discussion on this site.
Many will read this since it rises to the top of the list. Glad you've relistened. I too wish that Alex would ask for repeats more often. I think he's primed for the right response so he doesn't expect ambiguities, plus there's a pressure to keep the game moving. As you said, it would be improper for the judges to later rule against something so ambiguous without the player having been given the chance to clear it up.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

For others who want to re-listen, here you go:

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

alietr wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:56 am
A drop of golden sun wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:55 am I got "The Handmaid's Tale" but I began writing with only about 5 seconds left in the music, not enough time to write it all down! I would have been ruled incorrect because the pen would have turned off before I completed it. If I had written "What is" while I was stumped I probably could have completed it!
Contestants are instructed to write down "Who is" or "What is" before the clue is given, so you would not have needed to write that down during the 30 seconds anyway.
Another way to go is to write both "What is" and "Who is" before the clue is revealed and then cross one out.
OCSam
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:56 am
No verb, just "What" or "Who."