Wednesday, January 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7913, 2019-01-23

CONTESTANTS
Tim Edwards, a paralegal from Tulsa, Oklahoma
Rachel Paterno-Mahler, an astrophysicist from Playa del Rey, California
Haley Zapal, a copywriter from Atlanta, Georgia (whose 1-day cash winnings total $27,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. If you want to make a big impression as a contestant on "Jeopardy!" do what Haley did on our program yesterday. Bet big in Final Jeopardy! and come up with the correct response, and go home with a lot of money. Rachel or Tim, it could happen to you as well. Let's start finding out if it will.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
POPULAR LITERATURE (4/5)
BRAND MASCOTS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THERE COMES A TIME (5/5)
NAMES IN MUSIC (5/5)
A RHYME FOR FEEL (5/5)
THE LAST WORD WITH LAWRENCE O'DONNELL (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rachel: 13 R, 1 W
Haley: 8 R, 1 W
Tim: 7 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tim found the Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Haley had no money, Rachel was scoreless, and Tim was at $200. Tim wagered $1,000.

BRAND MASCOTS $400: A dog named Bullseye: this retailer

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Tim: $2,400
Rachel: $2,000
Haley: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Tim Edwards is a paralegal from Tulsa, Oklahoma who once had to jump out of a moving train while in Italy. What are the circumstances of that?

Tim: I did. Well, I didn't know how the doors opened. Uh, and so we were waiting and waiting. And finally, an Italian man came and pushed the button. Uh, some of my party got off. Uh, but the train began moving. And, uh, they had my money, my passport, my wallet. So, despite the Italian man saying, "No, signore! No, signore!" I had to jump. And, uh, I stuck the landing.

Alex: Well, good move. Good for you. Yes.

Alex: Rachel Paterno-Mahler from Playa del Rey, California. Got married, had the same band playing the music for your wedding that played for your parents.

Rachel: I did, yeah. So when my husband Carl and I got married, we wanted to use the same wedding band that played at my parents wedding. It was her--my mom's brother and his friends and they played. And my parents just celebrated their 41st anniversary. So, they are, as the kids say, #RelationshipGoals.

Alex: Oh, good for them. Congratulations to them, also.

Alex: Haley Zapal from Atlanta, Georgia is a copywriter who... is in a classical book club. A movie I enjoyed a few months ago was the "Book Club." I have a feeling your classical book club is not at all like the one Jane Fonda and friends had going.

Haley: Well, I'm in a few of those too, but I have one book club where we read only big, thick novels.

Alex: Really?

Haley: So we've done "Bleak House", "Moby Dick," and "Les Mis."

Alex: Wow. Are you--you're the leader of this group?

Haley: Eh, it's kind of a democracy, but--

Alex: It's a good way to learn. Good way to learn.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BRAND MASCOTS $1000: Elsie the Cow: this dairy company
(Rachel: What is Lucerne?)
(Haley: What is Laughing Cow?)

POPULAR LITERATURE $800: Dame Daphne du Maurier's works made into Hitchcock films include "Rebecca" & this high-flying novelette
(Tim: What is Vertigo?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Rachel: $6,400
Haley: $4,000
Tim: $3,600
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
1970s TV MOVIES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CRIMINOLOGY (5/5)
2 OF THE 3 LETTERS ARE VOWELS (5/5) (Alex: In each correct response...)
WORLD HISTORY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GORGE OF THE JUNGLE (5/5)
WATCH OUT FOR THAT TREE! (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tim: 11 R, 1 W
Haley: 8 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Rachel: 9 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Haley snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Haley had $4,800, Rachel had $6,400, and Tim was at $3,600. Haley wagered $3,000.

WORLD HISTORY $2000: In 1274 & 1281 Mongol invasion fleets headed to this country were blown away by storms called "divine winds"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Rachel who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Haley had $9,400, Rachel had $13,600, and Tim was at $14,000. Rachel wagered $2,000.

1970s TV MOVIES $1600: 1971's "Duel", a pulse-pounding tale of a highway chase, made some think this young director had a future
(Alex: You picked the right director. He made quite an impression with that film.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WATCH OUT FOR THAT TREE! $1200: Seed capsules from the sandbox tree do this, scattering seeds at up to 160 mph
(Haley: What is fly?)
(Alex: The seed capsules [*]. [blows rapidly])

WATCH OUT FOR THAT TREE! $1600: Stepping on the sharp fallen these of acacia trees can often cause deadly infections
(Rachel: What are needles?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Tim: $16,000
Rachel: $14,800
Haley: $12,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY LITERATURE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Tim: Wager $13,601 to cover Rachel.
Rachel: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Haley, hoping that you give the correct response and Tim doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $10,401 to cover Haley's doubled score, but no more than $12,400 if you want to top Tim on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $2,199 and win if both Tim and Haley miss Final.
Haley: You ought to try wagering between $2,201 and $8,200. This will top a $0 wager by Rachel while still beating Tim and Rachel on the Triple Stumper (should Tim wager to cover Rachel's doubled score and Rachel wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The writing of this novel, the author's first with no Canadian setting, appropriately began in 1984

FINAL SCORES
Haley: $12,600 + $12,600 = $25,200 (What is The Handmaid's Tale) (2nd place: $2,000)
Rachel: $14,800 + $14,800 = $29,600 (What is The Handmaid's Tale?) (New champion: $29,600)
Tim: $16,000 - $13,601 = $2,399 (What is Dystopia) (3rd place: $1,000)
(Alex, to Haley: By Margaret Atwood--you are correct.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Tim: $15,400, 18 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Rachel: $14,400, 22 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Haley: $11,600, 16 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $41,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Rachel: 23/59 = .390
Tim: 18/59 = .305
Haley: 17/59 = .288
Team: 58/63 = .921

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
POPULAR LITERATURE $600: In "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi", Nag & Nagaina are 2 of these plotting against a human family & the title mongoose
(Tim: What are snakes?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Tim: What are [*]?)

POPULAR LITERATURE $1000: This book with a lamb-free title marked the first appearance of Dr. Hannibal Lecter
(Alex: You just got yourself out of the hole.)

NAMES IN MUSIC $200: She originally wanted to use the stage name Bacardi

A RHYME FOR FEEL $400: It's the move being demonstrated here

THE LAST WORD WITH LAWRENCE O'DONNELL $1000: (Lawrence O'Donnell presents the clue): After negotiations to end the American Revolution, Ben Franklin said, "There never was a good war, or a bad" this

THE LAST WORD WITH LAWRENCE O'DONNELL $200: (Lawrence O'Donnell presents the clue): William Jennings Bryan won the Democratic nomination in 1896 with his defense of free silver: "You shall not crucify mankind upon a cross of" this metal

THE LAST WORD WITH LAWRENCE O'DONNELL $800: (Lawrence O'Donnell presents the clue): Gloria Steinem has credited Irina Dunn with the feminist slogan "A woman needs a man like a fish needs" this transport

THE LAST WORD WITH LAWRENCE O'DONNELL $600: (Lawrence O'Donnell presents the clue): "Some Like It Hot" has one of the great last lines in film: when Jack Lemmon reveals he's a man, Joe E. Brown replies, "Well, nobody's" this

THE LAST WORD WITH LAWRENCE O'DONNELL $400: (Lawrence O'Donnell presents the clue): In a 1939 radio broadcast, Churchill expressed his uncertainty over how Russia might react to the war, calling it "a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside" this
(Alex: And because that was the last category, Lawrence O'Donnell did get the last word.)

WORLD HISTORY $1600: Britain's Roger Fenton pioneered war photography with his 1855 images of this conflict

CRIMINOLOGY $400: U.S. v. Ash said suspects don't have the right to one of these during pretrial review of mug shots by witnesses
(Alex: [*], lawyer, yeah.)

CRIMINOLOGY $2000: In 2015 Justices Breyer & Scalia sparred over whether the death penalty has this "effect" on those considering murder
(Alex: Good, you did well in the category. And that puts you just $200 off the lead.)

2 OF THE 3 LETTERS ARE VOWELS $400: It's the item seen here

GORGE OF THE JUNGLE $800: This once-lost Incan city is found in the Gorge of Cusichaca
(Tim: What is Tenochtitlan?)

GORGE OF THE JUNGLE $1600: Mossman Gorge in this "royal" northeast Australian state is home to the oldest rainforest on earth
(Rachel: What is Victoria?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Target
Borden
The Birds
Japan
Steven Spielberg
explode
thorns
The Handmaid's Tale
cobras
Red Dragon
Cardi B
cartwheel
peace
gold
a bicycle
perfect
an enigma
the Crimean War
an attorney
deterrent
a die
Machu Picchu
Queensland
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY LITERATURE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The writing of this novel, the author’s first with no Canadian setting, appropriately began in 1984

Haley Zapal: 12600+12600=25200
Rachel Paterno-Mahler: 14800+14800=29600 (New Champ)
Tim Edwards: 16000-13601=2399

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Handmaid’s Tale (Tim – Dystopia)

Daily Doubles
Tim: 200+1000
Haley: 4800+3000
Rachel: 13600+2000

Coryats
Haley: 11600
Rachel: 14400
Tim: 15400

Combined: 41,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Haley: 4000
Rachel: 6400
Tim: 3600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nice run by Tim in CRIMINOLOGY to add the $6000 to his score. By the end of the round it was enough to have the lead although Rachel did pass him after DD3.

The FJ! clue was a connect the dots with Haley & Rachel doing 1-2-3-4 while Tim could only do 1-2 with 1984 to dystopia. The clue did not have a him/his/he so the hint was there to think woman writer. Canadian woman with dystopian novel? It’s had plenty of attention lately due to the TV series.

Rachel maximized her winnings which is nice for her. She still has to win three more games at least to make it matter in the long run.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

In the 2 of 3 Are Vowels category, does Rachel appear to say "ill"? I assume the correct answer is ail, as ill doesn't fit the category, but I have listened a few times and just can't hear it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MasterCone wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:56 pm In the 2 of 3 Are Vowels category, does Rachel appear to say "ill"? I assume the correct answer is ail, as ill doesn't fit the category, but I have listened a few times and just can't hear it.
I heard "ail" which is the correct response.

Andy's Thoughts from this posting: https://thejeopardyfan.com/2019/01/fina ... -2019.html

There’s probably going to be some discussion online about this one. On the $1600 clue in 2 OF THE 3 LETTERS ARE VOWELS, it is apparent to me that the judges, by the fact that they did not take points away from Rachel, ruled that Rachel did say “ail” on that clue and not “ill”, in spite of what the closed captioning may claim. Closed captioning is not done by the show’s judges or own post-production staff, it is a service done these days by Los Angeles Distribution and Broadcasting, Inc. by a person who was not in studio at the time of taping, so occasional errors can creep in that way. Moreover, the judges have the ability to isolate each contestant’s audio specifically to determine precisely what was said, and that is a luxury that the home viewer does not have. I myself am perfectly satisfied by the judges’ decision, and I have spoken with others who also definitively heard “ail”.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

At least I don't feel like I'm going deaf then since others have seen the potential confusion!
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Seriously, no one gets "The Birds"?

Didn't MSNBC initially intend for Eleventh Hour to be a temporary pre-2016 election thing? Either way, good to see Brian Williams back.

I watch his show sometimes and it's OK, but honestly Lawrence O'Donnell's best work was as Jed Bartlet's father in The West Wing.

Har-har-har, Alex.

Need a ruling: "Boo" as a 3-letter word for sweetheart, two of which are vowels? Like, I'm really really inclined to give myself credit, but maybe there's some subtlety I'm not picking up on.

Coryat: $45,600

J: 20R8P2W. Got DD. 5/5 on Last Word. 4/5 on Mascots and Rhyme. 3/5 on Popular Literature and There Comes a Time (missed "9-to-5" because it seemed way too obvious for the clue value). 1/5 on Names in Music (I said "Ariana Grande" because I thought she kind of looked like someone I had seen in a picture with Pete Davidson once)

DJ: 29R1P. Got both DDs. 4/5 on TV movies, 5/5 on everything else.

FJ: Lucky guess, thanks to the 1984 mention

LT: The Birds, thorns
ACW

Post by ACW »

What does 1984 after to do with the answer to Final Jeopardy?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ACW wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:59 pm What does 1984 after to do with the answer to Final Jeopardy?
The writing of this novel, the author’s first with no Canadian setting, appropriately began in 1984

The clue does not work without "1984" as the hint leading towards the famous Orwell work to make the solver think dystopia.

This novel, the author's first with no Canadian setting, was published in 1985. [That version is much harder to solve.]
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I said "Tarzhay" on the Brands DD. Think they'd take that?

Elsie the Cow = Borden eluded me. I could picture it but couldn't focus in on the brand name in time.

Cardi B and Halsey were unfamiliar to me in the Music category. Didn't recognize Childish Gambino either.

However, I ran Rhyme for Feel and 2 Out of 3.

Had a brainfart and couldn't process the "cross made of" quote in time. Totally failed to see "silver" in the clue. Got the next four, though.

Also didn't recognize anything in the World History category.

Recognized everything in TV Movies, but couldn't dredge any of it up in time.

"Sharp blah blah tree" = not needles = confused Hammer. NEGBAIT.

Lach Trash: explode

No guess on FJ! The title and author are not registering for me at all.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Wouldn't have gotten this with 50 guesses. Nothing in the clue was of any help.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

An example of how much the writer(s) have been getting something about the author/work in the games during the past calendar year:

#7872, aired 2018-11-27 THE WRITER SPEAKS $200: "When I first began 'The Handmaid's Tale' it was called 'Offred,' the name of its central character"
#7859, aired 2018-11-08 THE TV SHOW'S CHARACTERS $800: Future imperfect: Serena Joy, Ofglen
#7839, aired 2018-10-11 DRIVING ALEXIS $1200: If you're driving this actress, it may be to the set of "The Handmaid's Tale"
#7769, aired 2018-05-24 AUDIBLE RECENT FICTION $400: More than 30 years after its publication, this dystopian novel read by Claire Danes is a bestseller A shape, red with white wings around the face, a shape like mine, a nondescript woman in red carrying a basket
#7759, aired 2018-05-10 TV: WHO PLAYED 'EM? $800: Peggy Olson on "Mad Men" & Offred on "The Handmaid's Tale"

I do understand how all of those hits do not necessarily lead to the solve or being close. If the author/title do not even ring familiar? Then that is a problem that could lead to difficulty to many other clues in different areas.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Does the J! website's "Today's Lineup" feature not handle punctuation? Rachel's last name is hyphenated according to the show intros, but does not appear as such on the "Today's Lineup" feature. Noticed the same thing during Jackie's run; introduced as an attorney and writer but the site listed "attorney writer". Anyway....

Wasn't getting this Final in a million years either. Heard of Atwood and the novel/Hulu show in question, but that's about the extent of my knowledge of the work.

ETA: Hulu. Thanks econgator.
Last edited by threearruda on Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

threearruda wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:43 pm Heard of Atwood and the novel/Netflix show in question
Hulu
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

econgator wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:52 pm Wouldn't have gotten this with 50 guesses. Nothing in the clue was of any help.
I might be able to get it in 50 guesses if I figured that the writer was a woman.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:55 pm ...

Need a ruling: "Boo" as a 3-letter word for sweetheart, two of which are vowels? Like, I'm really really inclined to give myself credit, but maybe there's some subtlety I'm not picking up on.
My preference is to let others be the judge since I often overlook things that matter for a ruling. No one else has checked in so I will give "boo" a yes. Now it will take two negs to take away the get from your Coryat.

To me the word "new" is not enough to pin to "bae" or to eliminate "boo" and the requirement for length and vowel structure is met. Count "boo."
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Canadian writer took me first to Robertson Davies, whom I quickly rejected as not generally in the expected knowledge pool for Jeopardy. Next stop was Margaret Atwood and the other parts of the clue just fell into place. I had plenty of time to make sure that "this" was asking me for a title and not an author.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

ACW wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:59 pm What does 1984 after to do with the answer to Final Jeopardy?
was wondering the same thing
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:31 pm Canadian writer took me first to Robertson Davies, whom I quickly rejected as not generally in the expected knowledge pool for Jeopardy. Next stop was Margaret Atwood and the other parts of the clue just fell into place. I had plenty of time to make sure that "this" was asking me for a title and not an author.
only canadian author i could come up with was kinsella