Friday, January 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6300, 2012-01-27

CONTESTANTS
Bruce Vale, a business news writer originally from Newark, Delaware
Emily Kelly, a university librarian from Somerville, Massachusetts
Brendan Graham, a soldier and a physician from San Antonio, Texas (whose 1-day cash winnings total $26,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Hi, everyone. I'm often asked, "What do you and the contestants talk about at the end of each Jeopardy! show?" Well, at the end of yesterday's program, I mentioned to our new champion, Captain Graham, I said, "You don't smile, even though you've just won over $26,000." He said, "I don't smile unless my colonel gives me permission."

[Laughter]

Alex: Emily and Bruce, welcome aboard. Good luck to all three of you. Here we go--Jeopardy! Round. And the categories now...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
VISITING THE CITY (4/5)
PANTS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
CHILD ACTORS (5/5)
STUPID ANSWERS (5/5)
LESSER-KNOWN SCIENTISTS (4/5)
THE TRUTH LIES THEREIN (5/5) (Alex: The correct response will be made up of letters in the word "therein".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Bruce: 11 R (including 3 rebounds), 2 W
Emily: 10 R, 6 W (including 1 DD)
Brendan: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Bruce: $1,000
Emily: $800
Brendan: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: You must beware of collecting things. They can cause you problems. Bruce Vale, what did you start collecting about ten years ago?

Bruce: Uh, I started collecting old pinball machines.

Alex: Right.

Bruce: I thought, "Are there still games around that I used to play when I was a kid?" I wasted a lot of time as a youth so I looked online, and lo and behold, they're all out there. So I bought one. Didn't really have the money, but I bought another, and then another, and pretty soon, I had ten of them in a one-room apartment, and I had to sleep underneath them on the floor, 'cause I had no room for anything else.

Alex: Beware of collecting things. You heard it here.

Alex: Emily Kelly from Somerville, Massachusetts, speaks... Irish?

Emily: [Speaking Irish] Which says, uh, "It's the best language in the whole wide world."

Alex: But it is a beautiful, melodic language, isn't it? And I love saying things that nobody else understands. Except people of Irish descent.

Alex: Brendan Graham is our champion, currently stationed in San Antonio. Uh, your apartment was robbed some years ago?

Brendan: Oh, yes. Uh, when I was a poor medical student, I lived pretty simply in my apartment.

Alex: Uh-huh. And they took everything but the most valuable stuff?

Brendan: Indeed. Uh, like I said, I lived pretty simply, and I was gone for Christmas break, and when I came back, my apartment had been ransacked. They stole my bed, they stole my sofa, but they left a, uh, stack of medical textbooks about yea high that was probably worth about $8,000.

Alex: Those can be very, very expensive.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Emily found the Daily Double on the 30th clue. Brendan had $1,000, Emily had $1,400, and Bruce was at $5,200. Emily made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,400.

PANTS $800: Tight-fitting pants patterned after those worn by bullfighters aren't usually called matador pants but these
(Emily: What are jodhpurs?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
VISITING THE CITY $1000: Arriving at the train station built for the 1992 World's Fair, check out the Alcazar Palace & Biennial of Flemenco art
(Bruce: What is Madrid?)

(Emily: What is Barcelona?)

LESSER-KNOWN SCIENTISTS $800: Joseph Lagrange insisted on 10 as the basic unit when standardizing French weights & measures, creating this system
(Brendan: What is the Système International?)

PANTS $600: When introduced, these wide, baggy pants were 4 inches longer than usual knicker length
(Bruce: What are balloon pants?)

(Brendan: What are bell-bottoms?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Bruce: $5,200
Brendan: $1,000
Emily: $0
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, January 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
1940s AMERICAN LIT (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE TIME OF HIS LIFE (5/5)
VARIE-TEAS (4/5)
FIRST IN WAR (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
FIRST IN "P"s (4/5)
LAST IN THE NATIONAL LEAGUE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brendan: 10 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Emily: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Bruce: 6 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Emily snagged the next Daily Double on the 25th clue. Brendan had $11,800, Emily had $6,400, and Bruce was at $6,800. Emily wagered $5,400.

1940s AMERICAN LIT $800: This 1946 novel about a southern politician takes its title from the "Humpty Dumpty" nursery rhyme

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Emily who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 30th clue. Brendan had $11,800, Emily had $14,600, and Bruce was at $8,400. Emily wagered $2,799.

FIRST IN WAR $2000: The 1940 invasion of Norway saw the first combat use of these troops, the German Fallschirmjager
(Emily: Who are the S.S.?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FIRST IN "P"s $800: This racket game can be played on a court that has 1, 3 or 4 walls
(Bruce: What is raquetball?)

VARIE-TEAS $2000: This strong tea is named for a place in the foothills of the Himalayas whose name means "land of the thunderbolt"
(Alex: And that place is [*].)

1940s AMERICAN LIT $2000: A fan asking what may have happened to Jesus' garments after the Crucifixion inspired Lloyd Douglas to write this novel
(Alex: And that novel was called [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Emily: $11,801
Brendan: $11,800
Bruce: $8,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORD & PHRASE ORIGINS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Emily: Wager $11,800 to cover Brendan.
Brendan: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Bruce, hoping that you give the correct response and Emily doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $5,001 to cover Bruce's doubled score, but no more than $11,798 if you want to top Emily on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $3,399 and win if both Emily and Bruce miss Final.
Bruce: If you think Brendan is going to wager to cover you, try wagering less than $1,600 to beat Emily and Brendan on the Triple Stumper; or, if you think Brendan is going to wager small in hopes of a Triple Stumper, wager between $3,401 (venusian, to top a $0 wager by Brendan) and $8,400 (martian, which may win in some cases but may also risk dropping you from second to third place if you get Final wrong).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
After living in Honduras, O. Henry coined this term for a small country dependent on a single export

FINAL SCORES
Bruce: $8,400 - $3,402 = $4,998 (What is a rice economy?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Brendan: $11,800 + $8,401 = $20,201 (What is a banana republic?) (2-day champion: $46,602)
Emily: $11,801 - $11,000 = $801 (What is a coffee state) (3rd place: $1,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Brendan: $11,800, 15 R, 3 W
Emily: $11,400, 20 R (including 1 DD), 9 W (including 2 DDs)
Bruce: $8,400, 17 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $31,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Emily: 20/61 = .328
Bruce: 17/58 = .293
Brendan: 16/58 = .276
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
STUPID ANSWERS $200: On the west, Central Park is bounded by this street
(Brendan: What is West Street?)

(Emily: What is West Side ...)
(Alex: No.)
(Emily: Oh, no, it's not.)

LESSER-KNOWN SCIENTISTS $1000: In 1785 William Withering suggested using this drug from the foxglove plant to treat heart disease
(Emily: What is ... ?)

THE TRUTH LIES THEREIN $200: Symbol for the second-lightest element
(Alex: For helium)

THE TRUTH LIES THEREIN $800: Colt controller
(Emily: What is ... no.)

THE TRUTH LIES THEREIN $1000: A palindromic preposition of the past
(Emily: What is herein?)

CHILD ACTORS $800: This kid, with a familiar last name, is seen here in a 2010 film

VARIE-TEAS $400: This meal is found after Irish & English in the names of teas
(Bruce: What is English [*]?)
(Alex: Yeah, we'll accept that.)
(Bruce: [*].)

FIRST IN "P"s $400: The African gray is this type of bird; the male can precisely echo human speech
(Alex: That's the "P.")

THE TIME OF HIS LIFE $800: A German emperor (Remember the II):
1859-1941
(Emily: Who is Bismarck?)
(Bruce: Who is Kaiser Wilhelm?)
(Alex: Yes, I said "remember the II" there.)

LAST IN THE NATIONAL LEAGUE $800: They were "inaugurated" as a team in 2005 & have finished last 5 seasons out of 7
(Bruce: Who are the Florida Marlins?)

LAST IN THE NATIONAL LEAGUE $2000: In 1958, pitcher Robin Roberts won 17 games (yay), but this Pennsylvania team of his won only 52 more (not so yay)
(Emily: Who are the Pirates?)

FIRST IN WAR $400: At the 1862 Battle of Hampton Roads, these 2 vessels fought the first engagement between Ironclad warships
(Alex: You got 'em both.)

FIRST IN WAR $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows an image of a map on a monitor.) Christian and Muslim lands are represented here on the eve of this series of wars--the first of which went from 1096 to 1099

CORRECT RESPONSES
toreador pants
Seville
the metric system
plus fours
All The King's Men
paratroopers
paddleball
Darjeeling
The Robe
a banana republic
Central Park West
digitalis (or digoxin)
He
rein
ere
Jaden Smith
breakfast
a parrot
Wilhelm II
the (Washington) Nationals
the Philadelphia Phillies
the Monitor & the Merrimack
the Crusades
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, January 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Word & Phrase Origins
After living in Honduras, O. Henry coined this term for a small country dependent on a single export.
Spoiler
What is a Banana Republic? Bruce said rice economy (Or, if you're Alex, a nice economy, although in his defense it was written pretty small); Emily said coffee state.
Emily Kelly: $11,801-$11,000=$801
Brendan Graham: $11,800+$8,401=$20,201...now a 2-day champion with $46,602
Bruce Vale: $8,400-$3,402=$4,998
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Instaget FJ before Alex finished reading the clue. Kinda surprised it wasn't a triple-get, but that category does strange things to the brain sometimes, and I've missed some "easy" ones too.

Anyone want to have a crack at explaining those wagers? Bruce wagered properly I think, but other than that, I got nothin'.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I was a little surprised that Brendan neg with his answer of "Systeme Internationale" for the metric system wasn't overturned. A little research (ok, on wikipedia) tells me that SI is the modern version of the metric system, dating back to 1960. So for a historical clue involving Lagrange, perhaps his answer is wrong - like answering Russia for a clue requiring the USSR, or the LA Dodgers for the Brooklyn ones... I hope there was a delay where the judges carefully checked wikipedia too.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

It wasn't quite an instaget for me, but once I stumbled onto the key of Honduras=bananas, it came together quite nicely. I too thought that they might all get it, and I would be curious to know what kind of guess I might have come up with if I had never made the banana connection. Both incorrect guesses were somewhat on the right track, although I have no idea if rice or coffee would be anywhere near being a good guess for a key crop of Honduras. I'm guessing yes for coffee and no for rice, just based on part of the world. I don't know how common the knowledge is that bananas are big in Honduras. I worked in a grocery store for years, and I think Honduras may often be printed on banana boxes. I also happened to buy about 140 bananas just this afternoon, so I may very well have already had bananas on the brain even before the clue was revealed.

As for the wagers, well, I was only completely shocked by one of the three, as I've been trying to learn to expand my horizons in considering what approach each contestant might take. For a player in Brendan's position I would generally predict a bet of $5,001, the minimum shutout bet which ensures that he finishes no worse than 2nd on a get. Based on that, Bruce should either bet less than $1,601 or more than $3,400. His wager of $3,402 would have won him the game if he had the only get, but by making that wager he risked losing to Brendan on a triple stumper if both 1st and 2nd made the standard minimum shutout bets. As we learned yesterday, Brendan is not one for making the minimum shutout bet, instead forgoing the math and wagering the total of the player that trails him plus one extra dollar. He is at least consistent in that regard, and it may be fortunate for him that this was a Friday game and the players he faces on Monday presumably won't have knowledge of the wagers he made on the first two FJs he faced.

As for Emily's wager...I was just starting to like her after that "lead by a dollar on a miss" DD bet on the final clue. How many of us at home were smacking our foreheads after Alex's "I won't even ask..." comment? But then she goes and fails to make the minimum shutout bet, possibly risking a loss of over $20,000 and the chance to come back tomorrow? Had Brendan bet it all and both players answered correctly she would be going home with $2,000 while he would be moving on with $23,600, and for what? Why did she feel the need to leave $801 behind? The only conclusion that can be drawn is that while watching from the audience, she recognized the wager that Brendan made on Thursday and felt fairly confident that he would make the same wager today, so knowing that he would bet $8,401, she knew that his post-FJ total would be either $20,201 or $3,399. So she knew that betting $11,000 instead of $11,800 wouldn't cost her the game, but she must have had another reason for saving the $801. Maybe she sensed that Bruce would bet something like $8,300 or $8,399, so she needed to leave some token amount behind in order to possibly hold on to 2nd place instead of 3rd in the event that Brendan had the sole FJ get. Similar to Taylor's "big round number plus a dollar" wager from yesterday, perhaps she figured that Bruce would aim for $16,000 and bet $7,600, so on a miss he would have $800 remaining, so with her $801 she was assured of 2nd place. Mission accomplished. Well done by all 3 players.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:Word & Phrase Origins
After living in Honduras, O. Henry coined this term for a small country dependent on a single export.
Spoiler
What is a Banana Republic? Bruce said rice economy (Or, if you're Alex, a nice economy, although in his defense it was written pretty small); Emily said coffee state.
Emily Kelly: $11,801-$11,000=$801
Brendan Graham: $11,800+$8,401=$20,201...now a 2-day champion with $46,602
Bruce Vale: $8,400-$3,402=$4,998
I really wasn't wild about any of their wagers. If Brendan makes the MSB (love the term opus coined) and is wrong, he will have $6,799. So Bruce shouldn't have bet any more than $1,600. Brendan overbets as well and Emily doesn't even cover Brendan.

But my biggest gripe with Emily is how she played the end of the DJ round. There are two clues left, each in a different category. One of the categories had already had a DD, so she knows where the last DD is. But she goes to the category where the DD had been played, giving the others a shot at nabbing the DD and taking the lead. I did like her DD bet, however.

FJ was an instaget. I was surprised only one player got it. but it isn't a term I've heard in a long time, so maybe its a generational thing.
Kingrat47
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Kingrat47 »

Bamaman wrote:
But my biggest gripe with Emily is how she played the end of the DJ round. There are two clues left, each in a different category. One of the categories had already had a DD, so she knows where the last DD is. But she goes to the category where the DD had been played, giving the others a shot at nabbing the DD and taking the lead. I did like her DD bet, however.
It was even worse than that. She went to the Lit category, went there again, someone else switched to the War category for 1600, and it wasn't the Daily Double. She got it right, and then switched back to the Lit category, even though there was only one clue left in the category. No one got the last Lit question, so she wound up with the Daily Double by default. It was kind of amazing to watch.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It was funny that Alex's opening remarks were about Brendan smiling since that was a hot topic yesterday. His smile on the opening introduction looked forced and uncomfortable, but no doubt he had his marching orders from Colonel Maggie.

FJ going 1/3 surprised me as well. If I can get one of those quickly then it should go at least 2/3 on the show. Brendan gets to come back thanks to the sole solve from second.

The Marlins and Pirates misses when the Nationals and Phillies were wanted had me cringing. We'll never know, but I suspect Bruce needed to get a game under his belt and then he could have been a much better player. Of course I'm slightly biased since he got The Brady Bunch clue and I was rooting for him. 10 pinball machines in an apartment? That's the kind of story that will get you on the show.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Instaget FJ, helped by that very fact's appearance in pub quiz in the past couple of months.

Emily's FJ wager surprised me, since I was sure that after preserving her lead so meticulously on the last DD, she'd go for the full amount at the end. Bruce made a fairly standard overwager, and Brendan did what Brendan does. At least those are better than the trailers' wagers in the most infamous "first place leads by a dollar" FJ.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

xxaaaxx wrote:Instaget FJ before Alex finished reading the clue. Kinda surprised it wasn't a triple-get, but that category does strange things to the brain sometimes, and I've missed some "easy" ones too.

Anyone want to have a crack at explaining those wagers? Bruce wagered properly I think, but other than that, I got nothin'.
Bruce wagered too much, as jeff6286 pointed out. He gave up the ability to win on a triple stumper in order to guard against a very unlikely $0 bet by Brendan and/or Emily. If I were Bruce, I'd have wagered $1,500.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:Instaget FJ before Alex finished reading the clue. Kinda surprised it wasn't a triple-get, but that category does strange things to the brain sometimes, and I've missed some "easy" ones too.

Bruce wagered too much, as jeff6286 pointed out. He gave up the ability to win on a triple stumper against standard wagers in order to guard against a very unlikely $0 bet by Brendan and/or Emily. If I were Bruce, I'd have wagered $1,500.
Fixed that. He would have won this on a triple stumper given Brendan's overwager.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:I really wasn't wild about any of their wagers. If Brendan makes the MSB (love the term opus coined) and is wrong, he will have $6,799. So Bruce shouldn't have bet any more than $1,600. Brendan overbets as well and Emily doesn't even cover Brendan.

FJ was an instaget. I was surprised only one player got it. but it isn't a term I've heard in a long time, so maybe its a generational thing.
It's a generational thing, but that doesn't determine whether you've heard the term. It just determines whether you think Banana Republic is a small Central/South American country or a store at the mall.

Emily's FJ bet made a mockery of her DD bet. If she wanted $801 left over, she should have bet $801 less on the DD. There was no reason for her to make a wager that large and not make the MSB. If she didn't like the FJ category, she should have bet $5,001. In any event, I think a savvier DD bet would have been $2,201. A get would have put her a dollar ahead of Bruce's doubled score. And it would have left Brendan with less than 3/4 of her score, meaning he couldn't safely bet to cover a $0 wager on her part. That could come in handy if she hates the FJ category. A miss would have left her with $12,399--still $599 ahead of Brendan going into FJ.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:

Bruce wagered too much, as jeff6286 pointed out. He gave up the ability to win on a triple stumper against standard wagers in order to guard against a very unlikely $0 bet by Brendan and/or Emily. If I were Bruce, I'd have wagered $1,500.
Fixed that. He would have won this on a triple stumper given Brendan's overwager.
Very true. I'm happy to have your marginal scholium incorporated into my inspired text.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:It was funny that Alex's opening remarks were about Brendan smiling since that was a hot topic yesterday. His smile on the opening introduction looked forced and uncomfortable, but no doubt he had his marching orders from Colonel Maggie.
At least we have the answer to yesterday's question about why Captain Brendan didn't smile, but Colonel Dave did. ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote:Emily's FJ bet made a mockery of her DD bet. If she wanted $801 left over, she should have bet $801 less on the DD.
Sorry to correct you twice, but it would have taken a DD wager of just $400 less to finish with $801: in a $12,201 vs. $11,800 scenario, her minimum cover bet is $11,400 to get $23,601. If she's incorrect, she falls to $801.

When you have a non-lock lead, every dollar of lead is two dollars more than -1 that you'll end up with if you make the minimum cover wager, and then neg. (The -1 is for that dollar extra; if you offer a tie and neg, you end up with a total exactly double what your lead was.)

(Interestingly, when you have a lock lead, every dollar of that lead is two dollars more than -1 that you'll end up with if you make the maximum lock-retaining wager, and then get FJ right!)
Sage on the Hudson

OUR PRECIOUS BODILY FLUIDS ARE ALL WET

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

Bamaman wrote:But my biggest gripe with Emily is how she played the end of the DJ round. There are two clues left, each in a different category. One of the categories had already had a DD, so she knows where the last DD is. But she goes to the category where the DD had been played, giving the others a shot at nabbing the DD and taking the lead. I did like her DD bet, however.
Kinda like playing Concentration, isn't it?

dhkendall wrote:At least we have the answer to yesterday's question about why Captain Brendan didn't smile, but Colonel Dave did. ;)
Well, Dave was base commander; like General Ripper in Doctor Strangelove, if that doesn't give you a sense self-righteous omniscience, I guess nothing will.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Welcome back, TRD.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Explaining? I don't think so. I was so impressed with Emily for coming up with the last-clue-DD wager that would give her a $1 lead if she missed. That's doing the math quickly, in a game situation, under pressure, in her head, with the game on the line, everything we've discussed as mitigating factors when people botch wagers. And she nailed it.

Then her FJ wager left her exposed to being caught from behind. AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

Brendan wagered way more than the $5,001 he needed to prevent his being overtaken.

Bruce, realistically, had a chance on the TS if he wagered no more than $1,600. Why the odd $3,402? Hafta ask him, I suppose.

I'm also kinda surprised it wasn't a triple get. I'll bet Emily and Bruce gave themselves mental dope-slaps at the reveal.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote:
10 pinball machines in an apartment? That's the kind of story that will get you on the show.
OTOH, as my wife noted, "He MUST be single!"