Friday, January 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:04 am

Game Recap for Show #7915, 2019-01-25

CONTESTANTS
Steven Oppenheim, a supply chain analyst from Shaker Heights, Ohio
Christopher Records, a nonprofit consultant from Los Angeles, California
Aaron Lichtig, a growth marketer from Silver Spring, Maryland (whose 1-day cash winnings total $14,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks. So far this new year, we've had a number of excellent Jeopardy! champions that I thought would be around for a long, long time. And yet even though some of them earned close to $100,000, they're gone. So much depends on the categories, so which of these three players will the categories in today's show favor? Let's start finding out. What are those categories in this first round?

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
"S"PORTS (5/5)
BRIT SPEAK (5/5)
THE HODGEST OF PODGE (4/5)
PEST CONTROL (3/5)
POETRY IN MOTION (5/5)
LYING IN STATES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: You have to identify the states in which of these people lies at rest.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Aaron: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Steve-O: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Christopher: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Aaron found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Aaron had $1,800, Christopher had $1,800, and Steve-O was at $2,400. Aaron wagered $1,000.

LYING IN STATES $600: Al Capone

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Aaron: $3,800
Christopher: $3,600
Steve-O: $3,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Steve Oppenheim is from Shaker Heights, Ohio. And you once--your father worked on a reservation, and that had some influence on your life.

Steve-O: Yeah, so after med school, my father worked on a Hopi Indian reservation for a while. So as a result of that, I have a lot of Kachina dolls, which I treasure very much, and I have a Hopi name.

Alex: Which is?

[Steve-O says his Hopi name.]

Steve-O: He's a god of thunder.

Alex: Oh. Very impressive. Well done.

Alex: Christopher Records from Los Angeles, California. You and I have done the same thing. I once went to a Trappist monastery, spent close to a week there in preparation for final exams. You did something similar.

Christopher: Yeah. When I first got the invitation to audition, I went to a monastery just outside Poughkeepsie, New York--an Episcopal monastery--and spent a couple days there reading and sort of trying to calm down.

Alex: Getting ready for Jeopardy!?

Christopher: Getting ready for this.

Alex: Okay. Well, so far you're doing well.

Alex: Aaron Lichtig, from Silver Spring, Maryland. "Cutting it close" has many different connotations. I'm thinking now of when your son was born, and you rushed your wife to the hospital.

Aaron: Yes. Our second son, Alex, was born about 12 minutes after we got to the hospital. My car was still down on the ground floor in the parking lot with the doors wide open and the keys inside. But fortunately, my wife, Jean, and I have a happy, healthy second son.

Alex: Good for you. Two more red lights, and you'd be in the...

Aaron: You know it.

Alex: In the car.

Aaron: Glad I wasn't here.

Alex: Yes, all right.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE HODGEST OF PODGE $1000: Briefly at Atlanta U., Mary Spivey wound up as the last living female graduate of this college, getting her degree in 1933
(Alex: It's now for men.)

PEST CONTROL $800: Terminix says vacuuming is a good start in controlling these icky insects like the German & brown-banded types

PEST CONTROL $400: Washington, D.C. is dealing with rats by dropping dry ice down their holes; then this gas finishes them off

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Aaron: $6,400
Steve-O: $5,000
Christopher: $3,800
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, January 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:04 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
REFERENCE GOES DIGITAL (2/4)
POP CULTURE PORTMANTEAUS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
RUSSIAN BODIES OF WATER (5/5)
A BOWL OF "SUP" (5/5)
EYE EXAM (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BETTER 1, BETTER 2? (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Steve-O: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Aaron: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Christopher: 5 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Steve-O snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Aaron had $7,200, Christopher had $8,200, and Steve-O was at $10,200. Steve-O wagered $3,000.

POP CULTURE PORTMANTEAUS $1200: George Clinton was the mastermind behind the groups called Parliament & this hybrid word

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Aaron who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Aaron had $7,600, Christopher had $7,400, and Steve-O was at $17,200. Aaron wagered $5,000.

EYE EXAM $800: In the most common form of color blindness, a person has trouble distinguishing between these 2 colors

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
POP CULTURE PORTMANTEAUS $800: Jim Henson has said that the "M" in Muppet comes from this word
(Christopher: What is monster?)

EYE EXAM $1600: In cataract surgery, this part of the eye that has become clouded is removed & replaced with an artificial one

REFERENCE GOES DIGITAL $1600: uscode.house.gov lets you read these of the United States

REFERENCE GOES DIGITAL $2000: This multivolume encyclopedia debuted in 1917, began "Childcraft" in 1934 & first went online in 1998
(Christopher: What is the Encyclopedia Britannica?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Steve-O: $22,800
Aaron: $16,600
Christopher: $6,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LAW ENFORCEMENT HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Steve-O: Wager $10,401 to cover Aaron.
Aaron: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,399 (martian), and you'll win the game if Steve-O wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Christopher: To win, you must get Final right and count on a wagering mistake on Aaron's part. Wager all $6,600.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This U.S. group was formed to protect settlers in an area that had recently gained independence from Spain

FINAL SCORES
Christopher: $6,600 - $6,600 = $0 (What are the U.S. Marshalls) (3rd place: $1,000)
Aaron: $16,600 - $3,300 = $13,300 (What is Buffalo Sod) (2nd place: $2,000)
Steve-O: $22,800 + $10,401 = $33,201 (What is the Texas Rangers?) (New champion: $33,201)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Steve-O: $21,000, 21 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Aaron: $12,000, 20 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Christopher: $6,600, 11 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $39,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Steve-O: 22/59 = .373
Aaron: 20/60 = .333
Christopher: 11/58 = .190
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
"S"PORTS $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a figure skating jump on the monitor.) Figure skaters are on their back inside edge, leap, then land on the back outside edge of the opposite foot to do this jump named for a Swede

LYING IN STATES $800: Andy Warhol
(Aaron: What is New York?)
(Alex: He's from Pittsburgh.)

PEST CONTROL $600: Seen here is Rufus the hawk, assigned to pigeon control at this British sporting event in 2018

LYING IN STATES $200: Aretha Franklin
(Christopher: What is Tennessee?)

A BOWL OF "SUP" $1200: In this 1973 hit, Stevie Wonder sang, "When you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer"
(Christopher: What is "Superstitious"?)

A BOWL OF "SUP" $1600: Toyota has plans to bring back this sporty car that drove into the sunset in 2002

RUSSIAN BODIES OF WATER $1600: Some of Russia's most important ports lie on this body of water named for another country

BETTER 1, BETTER 2? $800: After capturing this city in 1099, the Crusades hit a sophomore slump, losing territory in the second go-round
(Alex: With less than a minute.)

BETTER 1, BETTER 2? $400: Robert Scott's expedition No. 1 didn't reach this spot; trip No. 2 did, but everyone died en route home
(Steve-O: What's Antarctica?)
(Christopher: What is Everest?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Illinois
Morehouse College
cockroaches
carbon dioxide
Funkadelic
red and green
marionette
the lens
the laws
World Book
the Texas Rangers
a salchow
Pennsylvania
Wimbledon
Michigan
"Superstition"
the Supra
the Gulf of Finland
Jerusalem
the South Pole
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:13 am

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LAW ENFORCEMENT HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This U.S. group was formed to protect settlers in an area that had recently gained independence from Spain

Aaron Lichtig: 16600-3300=13300
Christopher Records: 6600-6600=0
Steven Oppenheim: 22800+10401=33201 (New Champ)

Correct response:
SpoilerShow
Texas Rangers (Aaron – Buffalo Sod) (Christopher – U.S. Marshalls)

Daily Doubles
Aaron: 1800+1000
Steven: 10200+3000
Aaron: 7600+5000

Coryats
Aaron: 12000
Christopher: 6600
Steven: 21000

Combined: 39600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Aaron: 6400
Christopher: 3800
Steven: 5000

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:14 am

Steven played as Steve-O and he was no jackass in getting the big pay day. Three guys playing and there were extra sports clues scattered besides the “S”PORTS category.

The FJ! clue was also sports in an indirect way as I was thinking about the baseball team when I wrote my response. Aaron can rest better knowing he got second place even with his off base response. A gettable clue like that would be a haunter if the miss mattered.

The guys did today what Alex hates in still skipping around after the DDs were found.

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:28 am

I'm always apprehensive when one of my Facebook friends posts that their Jeopardy appearance will be on a Friday, because then I scour their social media for clues as to whether they came back to tape the next day. Happy for Steven that he proved my suspicions wrong.

OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:37 am

In Steven's case, the next tape day would have been the following Tuesday. (Today's game taped 11/28, next week 12/4.)

It's been a really bad week for the closed captioners. Today they had Steven saying "position" as opposed to the "physician" that he actually said.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:28 pm

I found the J! round especially tough today. Usually I recognize British speak, but I didn't know any of those except "lift".

Didn't recognize anything in "Sup" in DJ! except for "Super Bowl". Definitely NHO "supine".

It was nice for the writers to throw me a couple bones in Portmanteau to help me run the category. Zootopia, Sharknado, Pikachu. Muppets? Yes please.

No guess on FJ! Had no idea that the Rangers were anything other than a sports team.

Lach trash: Marionette
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:29 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:28 pm
No guess on FJ! Had no idea that the Rangers were anything other than a sports team.
So, the Chuck Norris show was about his time in the majors?

Also, did Steve say "What is.." before his Pikachu impression?

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:31 pm

econgator wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:29 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
So, the Chuck Norris show was about his time in the majors?
Knowing literally nothing about the show besides its title, that didn't register. Even if it did, I would've thought it to be something made up just for the show.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:08 pm

Walker, Texas Ranger is probably my favorite TV show of all time next to J! and The Simpsons (I'm dead serious)...so of course I couldn't think of anything besides the Rough Riders.

Congrats to Steve-O on the win!

DBear

Post by DBear » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:34 pm

matched Steve-O in speed on FJ. Pure WECIB. Spend 29 seconds trying to think of anything else it could possibly be.

Euphonium
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Euphonium » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:54 pm

New York was massive negbait for Andy Warhol, but PA was the obvious choice if you knew that he was Lemko and Ruthenian Catholic (an association that should be easy enough to make for anyone who has seen The Deer Hunter).

Malaria seemed overvalued.

Honestly, Bourne Supremacy kind of does too. Those films were mega-blockbusters, after all.

We love to funk you, Funkenstein, your funk is the best... (George Clinton clues make my day)

Red/green colorblindness caused lots of issues with some of the NFL's color rush games a few years back.

Alex's drawn-out "mmmmm...no" on Antarctica should have been a clue to Christopher as to what the correct response was.

Coryat: $45,800

J: 27R3P. Got DD. 5/5 on Brit Speak, Pest Control, and Poetry. 4/5 on Sports, Hodgest of Podge, and Lying in States.

DJ: 27R1P1W. 5/5 on Russian Bodies of Water (I had damn well better), Bowl, Eye Exam, and Better 1/2. 4/5 on Portmanteaus (I got Pikachu on a meta-guess, figuring there's no way they ask about anything else at $200. Also I only know like three or four others, so...). 3/4 on Reference (I, too, said "Britannica").

FJ: Got it, but I'm not a fan of the clue. Initially said Marshals, clueing in on "U.S." in the clue, before I remembered that they were created waaay earlier, as the enforcement arm for the federal courts. I finally went with Texas Rangers because I couldn't come up with anything else that I would associate with the region, but because the clue said "U.S." it seems reasonable that someone might interpret that to mean they're talking about a federal as opposed to state law enforcement agency and rule out the Texas Rangers altogether on those grounds.

LT: Cockroaches, CO2, lens
In any dispute between labor and management, the workers are always right.

teapot37

Post by teapot37 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:15 pm

I mean, there are only three states that were ever independent: Hawaii, Vermont, and Texas. And only one of those split from Spain. It was a short leap from there.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:20 pm

econgator wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:29 pm
Also, did Steve say "What is.." before his Pikachu impression?
I had to rewind that bit myself to check. I didn't hear it either time, but I didn't think much of it.

Sometimes on FJs I use lucky logic to get to the right answer. In today's case, "area that recently gained independence from Spain" = probably in the South, probably near Mexico. Texas is in that area. I know of the Texas Rangers. So I'll put that down and see if it's good.

Thanks to that I'm 2/5 this week, which is fine.

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:40 pm

Well, Steve-O, can you avoid the flash in the pan syndrome? I'm glad to see these big paydays for the one and dones, although Aaron got shortchanged.

A good FJ clue, I think, and expected a triple-get. I didn't know the origin story or the Texas Rangers, and now I do - which is what makes the clue writers so awesome.

I didn't hear the Pikachu response as a question, but it was so fast I'm sure it was in there.

Do 3 smart men really not know what dry ice is made of? Does the general public appreciate the novelty of CO2 not having a liquid phase or even question it? Plenty of solids sublime (iodine, camphor), but they will also form a liquid state (melting) at atmospheric pressure (or decompose trying). This is awesome material science, akin to some of the amazing behaviors of water or carbon as diamond.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:43 pm

I got that CO2 question, for the record. Seen it plenty in some of the trivia games I play to have recalled it quickly.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:47 pm

Euphonium wrote: Alex's drawn-out "mmmmm...no" on Antarctica should have been a clue to Christopher as to what the correct response was.
Even more surprising was that Aaron didn't scoop up the easy rebound after Christopher's head shaker.

seattlecyclone
Contributor

Post by seattlecyclone » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:03 pm

teapot37 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:15 pm
I mean, there are only three states that were ever independent: Hawaii, Vermont, and Texas. And only one of those split from Spain. It was a short leap from there.
I got tripped up on the Final question. Thought of Texas Rangers right away, but then thought "wait, Texas gained independence from Mexico, not Spain" and switched my guess to the US Marshals. I looked up the Texas Rangers and found that they trace their history back to when Mexico broke away from Spain and the Rangers were founded by US settlers living in the area at the time.

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:07 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
I found the J! round especially tough today. Usually I recognize British speak, but I didn't know any of those except "lift".

Didn't recognize anything in "Sup" in DJ! except for "Super Bowl". Definitely NHO "supine".

It was nice for the writers to throw me a couple bones in Portmanteau to help me run the category. Zootopia, Sharknado, Pikachu. Muppets? Yes please.

Lach trash: Marionette
i am sure that saddens chuck norris

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:12 pm

StevenH wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:08 pm
Walker, Texas Ranger is probably my favorite TV show of all time next to J! and The Simpsons (I'm dead serious)...so of course I couldn't think of anything besides the Rough Riders.

Congrats to Steve-O on the win!
ranks in my top 10 shows of all time for sure..such a brilliant show....in no particular order...ncis, walker, texas ranger, beverly hills 90210, dennis the menace, happy days, growing pains, good times, criminal minds, law and order svu and the only game show to make it in my top 10....pointless