Friday, January 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1853
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Friday, January 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:14 pm

twelvefootboy wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:40 pm
Well, Steve-O, can you avoid the flash in the pan syndrome? I'm glad to see these big paydays for the one and dones, although Aaron got shortchanged.

A good FJ clue, I think, and expected a triple-get. I didn't know the origin story or the Texas Rangers, and now I do - which is what makes the clue writers so awesome.

I didn't hear the Pikachu response as a question, but it was so fast I'm sure it was in there.

Do 3 smart men really not know what dry ice is made of? Does the general public appreciate the novelty of CO2 not having a liquid phase or even question it? Plenty of solids sublime (iodine, camphor), but they will also form a liquid state (melting) at atmospheric pressure (or decompose trying). This is awesome material science, akin to some of the amazing behaviors of water or carbon as diamond.

i hope not...need more one and doners

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1853
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Friday, January 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:15 pm

twelvefootboy wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:40 pm
Well, Steve-O, can you avoid the flash in the pan syndrome? I'm glad to see these big paydays for the one and dones, although Aaron got shortchanged.

A good FJ clue, I think, and expected a triple-get. I didn't know the origin story or the Texas Rangers, and now I do - which is what makes the clue writers so awesome.

I didn't hear the Pikachu response as a question, but it was so fast I'm sure it was in there.

Do 3 smart men really not know what dry ice is made of? Does the general public appreciate the novelty of CO2 not having a liquid phase or even question it? Plenty of solids sublime (iodine, camphor), but they will also form a liquid state (melting) at atmospheric pressure (or decompose trying). This is awesome material science, akin to some of the amazing behaviors of water or carbon as diamond.

pretty odd for sure...i wouldn't consider myself smart and i got that clue correct

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Sharp As A Tack
Posts: 891
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Friday, January 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:41 pm

58 R (Salchow was my only miss for today.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Morehouse College, Cockroaches, Carbon Dioxide, Marionette, Lens, Laws, World Book
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 126.3k games
Alpaca Farm: 1251 quizzes
Sporcle: 5,560 quizzes
...and still quizzing

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1853
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Friday, January 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:04 am

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:41 pm
58 R (Salchow was my only miss for today.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Morehouse College, Cockroaches, Carbon Dioxide, Marionette, Lens, Laws, World Book
so when are you going to be on jeopardy and trounce your opponents?

User avatar
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 779
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Friday, January 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Lefty » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:39 am

Euphonium wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:54 pm
New York was massive negbait for Andy Warhol, but PA was the obvious choice if you knew that he was Lemko and Ruthenian Catholic (an association that should be easy enough to make for anyone who has seen The Deer Hunter).
I thought "he's from PIttsburgh" was a bit snide on Alex's part. After all, Al Capone was from Brooklyn.
I'm smart and I want respect.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1853
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Friday, January 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:15 am

Lefty wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:39 am
Euphonium wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:54 pm
New York was massive negbait for Andy Warhol, but PA was the obvious choice if you knew that he was Lemko and Ruthenian Catholic (an association that should be easy enough to make for anyone who has seen The Deer Hunter).
I thought "he's from PIttsburgh" was a bit snide on Alex's part. After all, Al Capone was from Brooklyn.
i said the exact same thing...pizz on trebek...can't wait until he retires...dude is so fricking pompous

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6108
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Friday, January 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:53 am

CasketRomance wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:04 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:41 pm
58 R (Salchow was my only miss for today.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Morehouse College, Cockroaches, Carbon Dioxide, Marionette, Lens, Laws, World Book
so when are you going to be on jeopardy and trounce your opponents?
Read these posts and quit harassing him.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6491
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Friday, January 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:28 am

twelvefootboy wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:40 pm
Does the general public appreciate the novelty of CO2 not having a liquid phase or even question it? Plenty of solids sublime (iodine, camphor), but they will also form a liquid state (melting) at atmospheric pressure (or decompose trying). This is awesome material science, akin to some of the amazing behaviors of water or carbon as diamond.
You did allude to it, but there is liquid CO2, but only at higher pressures.

guessonguessonguess
Valued Contributor
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:09 pm

Re: Friday, January 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by guessonguessonguess » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:11 am

seaborgium wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:53 am
CasketRomance wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:04 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:41 pm
58 R (Salchow was my only miss for today.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Morehouse College, Cockroaches, Carbon Dioxide, Marionette, Lens, Laws, World Book
so when are you going to be on jeopardy and trounce your opponents?
Read these posts and quit harassing him.
None of those are remotely legitimate reasons, but hats off for never missing a "college lecture" I suppose.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6491
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Friday, January 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:26 am

guessonguessonguess wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:11 am
seaborgium wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:53 am
CasketRomance wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:04 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:41 pm
58 R (Salchow was my only miss for today.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Morehouse College, Cockroaches, Carbon Dioxide, Marionette, Lens, Laws, World Book
so when are you going to be on jeopardy and trounce your opponents?
Read these posts and quit harassing him.
None of those are remotely legitimate reasons, but hats off for never missing a "college lecture" I suppose.
Well, that's just plain insensitive. Enough of all this.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3350
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Friday, January 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:31 am

FJ WECIB? How about U.S. Border Patrol?? As another poster said, I think calling it a "U.S. group" steered me toward a federal body.
I think what was confusing about the dry ice clue was, we don't think of carbon dioxide as a fatal poison...
Just about everything ever written about Andy Warhol mentions he was from Pittsburgh - a little more known than his branch of Catholicism...

guessonguessonguess
Valued Contributor
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:09 pm

Re: Friday, January 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by guessonguessonguess » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:43 am

alietr wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:26 am
guessonguessonguess wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:11 am
seaborgium wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:53 am
CasketRomance wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:04 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:41 pm
58 R (Salchow was my only miss for today.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Morehouse College, Cockroaches, Carbon Dioxide, Marionette, Lens, Laws, World Book
so when are you going to be on jeopardy and trounce your opponents?
Read these posts and quit harassing him.
None of those are remotely legitimate reasons, but hats off for never missing a "college lecture" I suppose.
Well, that's just plain insensitive. Enough of all this.
Wow, how obtuse of me; I forgot that sensitivity is paramount on an internet forum!

But, by all means, continue coddling people instead of calling out silly behavior.

User avatar
Euphonium
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:58 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Friday, January 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Euphonium » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:56 am

Category 13 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:47 pm
Euphonium wrote: Alex's drawn-out "mmmmm...no" on Antarctica should have been a clue to Christopher as to what the correct response was.
Even more surprising was that Aaron didn't scoop up the easy rebound after Christopher's head shaker.
Did I mix up my contestants? If Aaron was the one who said "Mt. Everest" then that's who I was referring to.
In any dispute between labor and management, the workers are always right.

User avatar
Euphonium
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:58 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Friday, January 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Euphonium » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:58 am

guessonguessonguess wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:43 am
Wow, how obtuse of me; I forgot that sensitivity is paramount on an internet forum!

But, by all means, continue coddling people instead of calling out silly behavior.
Grow up.
In any dispute between labor and management, the workers are always right.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6593
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Friday, January 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:19 am

Lefty wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:39 am
Euphonium wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:54 pm
New York was massive negbait for Andy Warhol, but PA was the obvious choice if you knew that he was Lemko and Ruthenian Catholic (an association that should be easy enough to make for anyone who has seen The Deer Hunter).
I thought "he's from PIttsburgh" was a bit snide on Alex's part. After all, Al Capone was from Brooklyn.
And he died in Florida. So I guessed Florida for that clue. If I'd known a little less, I'd have gotten it right. Then in the very next clue, I only knew that Warhol was strongly associated with NYC. If I'd known a little more.... I'm not in training right now, so I don't know if I'd have rung in on either clue. All I know is the penalty-free responses I shouted from the couch were both wrong.

That said, I didn't take Alex's comment as snide, though I see how it could come off that way. I thought he was just explaining why a Pennsylvania burial was something a J! contestant might be able to deduce. I found the aside helpful since I had forgotten the Pittsburgh connection.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6593
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Friday, January 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:36 am

guessonguessonguess wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:43 am


Wow, how obtuse of me; I forgot that sensitivity is paramount on an internet forum!
It's an important part of THIS forum. Please figure that out or leave.
guessonguessonguess wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:43 am
But, by all means, continue coddling people instead of calling out silly behavior.
Silly is fine. Having issues is fine. Unless your issues result in your being a jackass, of course. Please don't be a jackass.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7525
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Friday, January 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:47 am

davey wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:31 am
Just about everything ever written about Andy Warhol mentions he was from Pittsburgh - a little more known than his branch of Catholicism...
Still better than this game where they expected you to know that James Warhola is from Pittsburgh entirely because his name is similar to Andy Warhol's.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6491
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Friday, January 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:00 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:47 am
davey wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:31 am
Just about everything ever written about Andy Warhol mentions he was from Pittsburgh - a little more known than his branch of Catholicism...
Still better than this game where they expected you to know that James Warhola is from Pittsburgh entirely because his name is similar to Andy Warhol's.
No, it is Andy Warhol's name. He changed it from Warhola.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6593
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Friday, January 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:11 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:47 am
davey wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:31 am
Just about everything ever written about Andy Warhol mentions he was from Pittsburgh - a little more known than his branch of Catholicism...
Still better than this game where they expected you to know that James Warhola is from Pittsburgh entirely because his name is similar to Andy Warhol's.
To be fair, that was in the UTOC. That clue would definitely be way too much in a regular game. And even for UTOC, what were they thinking putting it in the $800 slot in a DJ round? That clue belongs in the $2000 box if it belongs anywhere, as the TS from the contestants confirms.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6593
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Friday, January 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:15 pm

alietr wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:00 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:47 am
davey wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:31 am
Just about everything ever written about Andy Warhol mentions he was from Pittsburgh - a little more known than his branch of Catholicism...
Still better than this game where they expected you to know that James Warhola is from Pittsburgh entirely because his name is similar to Andy Warhol's.
No, it is Andy Warhol's name. He changed it from Warhola.
No, it was Andy Warhol's name before he changed it to something similar.

Post Reply