Monday, January 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:39 am

Re: Monday, January 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:26 pm

Okay, I should speaketh not where I haveth not knowledge. Then I got it from the year and nothing else.

Unless the clue mentioned top of the strip or something.
I prefer to cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Sharp As A Tack
Posts: 723
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Monday, January 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:29 pm

55 R (Only missing #NeverAgain, Dismemberment, and Hulu.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Laurel, (Double Indemnity), Laura Hillenbrand, Bananas, Newberry, Good Grief, Rubber Cement, Pre-emption, Cable

1895 book was all I needed for Final!
Known in the real world as Douglas Squasoni.

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 2054
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Monday, January 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:35 pm

I went with Caldecott over Newberry :?

Incidentally: https://www.npr.org/2019/01/28/68926062 ... -caldecott

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6318
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Monday, January 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:45 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:56 pm
floridagator wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:07 pm
econgator wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:53 pm
Was there something in the clue to point to Circus Circus over New York New York?
Opened in 1966? NYNY was more like 1996.
if you are up on your casinos and years they opened i guess it would have been a breeze
Sometimes you just have to know the answer. Though I'm not sure how, if you can pull up NYNY, you can also place it in the era of Sands or Dunes. Circus Circus you can date to at least the early 70s due to its appearance in Diamonds are Forever.

Probably the only one who misread the "Lakers home" clue as "Laker's home" and went Kobe!

Not quite an instafinal. Knew what they wanted instantly, but it took some seconds to kick the dust off.

Edit: The Schultz clue got a laugh out of me, given he's been in the news lately.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1327
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, January 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:01 pm

Volante wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:45 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:56 pm
floridagator wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:07 pm
econgator wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:53 pm
Was there something in the clue to point to Circus Circus over New York New York?
Opened in 1966? NYNY was more like 1996.
if you are up on your casinos and years they opened i guess it would have been a breeze
Sometimes you just have to know the answer. Though I'm not sure how, if you can pull up NYNY, you can also place it in the era of Sands or Dunes. Circus Circus you can date to at least the early 70s due to its appearance in Diamonds are Forever.

Probably the only one who misread the "Lakers home" clue as "Laker's home" and went Kobe!

Not quite an instafinal. Knew what they wanted instantly, but it took some seconds to kick the dust off.

Edit: The Schultz clue got a laugh out of me, given he's been in the news lately.
don't know eras of casinos...just names..have never been to las vegas (or the state of nevada for that matter)..have never seen diamonds are forever..james bond is boring

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1327
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, January 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:02 pm

Volante wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:45 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:56 pm
floridagator wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:07 pm
econgator wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:53 pm
Was there something in the clue to point to Circus Circus over New York New York?
Opened in 1966? NYNY was more like 1996.
if you are up on your casinos and years they opened i guess it would have been a breeze



Edit: The Schultz clue got a laugh out of me, given he's been in the news lately.


why has he been in the news lately?

User avatar
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 735
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Monday, January 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Lefty » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:09 pm

DBear wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:05 pm

FJ was another WECIB. Not all that surprising an observation from the man who wrote "The Devil's Dictionary". :twisted:
Not sure what you mean; I'd certainly take it for praise, and it seems to have been. On the other hand, the work quoted here (Robert H. Davis's entry) suggests the quote either was fabricated or at best that Bierce's opinion evolved quite a bit over not very long a time.
I'm smart and I want respect.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6318
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Monday, January 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:14 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:02 pm
Volante wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:45 pm
Edit: The Schultz clue got a laugh out of me, given he's been in the news lately.


why has he been in the news lately?
He threatened a 2020 presidential run yesterday and got some more mileage in today. It'll likely flame out soon though, so didn't feel it worth cluttering up the CE2019 thread.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1327
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, January 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:21 pm

Volante wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:14 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:02 pm
Volante wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:45 pm
Edit: The Schultz clue got a laugh out of me, given he's been in the news lately.


why has he been in the news lately?
He threatened a 2020 presidential run yesterday and got some more mileage in today. It'll likely flame out soon though, so didn't feel it worth cluttering up the CE2019 thread.
oh....thought you were talking about the good grief clue and referencing the dude with a different spelling of the surname...was trying to figure out how a dude that died almost 20 years ago in the news recently...btw...never heard of the starbucks dude before
Last edited by CasketRomance on Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7275
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Monday, January 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:22 pm

So anyone wanna tell me how "water lily" BMSes to "lotus"? A cursory check showed those to be two different things.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
DBear
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: Monday, January 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:34 pm

Lefty wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:09 pm
DBear wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:05 pm

FJ was another WECIB. Not all that surprising an observation from the man who wrote "The Devil's Dictionary". :twisted:
Not sure what you mean; I'd certainly take it for praise, and it seems to have been..
Really? That's not at all how I took it, I took it as a condemnation of a man who knew nothing of war writing a war novel. :?: :|

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6318
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Monday, January 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:55 pm

DBear wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:34 pm
Lefty wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:09 pm
DBear wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:05 pm

FJ was another WECIB. Not all that surprising an observation from the man who wrote "The Devil's Dictionary". :twisted:
Not sure what you mean; I'd certainly take it for praise, and it seems to have been..
Really? That's not at all how I took it, I took it as a condemnation of a man who knew nothing of war writing a war novel. :?: :|
The full quote by Bierce the FJ clue references: "This young man has the power to feel. He knows nothing of war, yet he is drenched in blood. Most beginners who deal with this subject spatter themselves with ink."

However, there are also accounts that Bierce wasn't a fan, once saying "I had thought that there could only be two worse writers than Stephen Crane, namely, two Stephen Cranes."

So...I dunno?

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1174
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Monday, January 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:12 am

Jill was a force - it was nice how Alex commented when she got back her losings so quickly from a bitching generational clue. The double indemnity gimmick was just part of the scam in the "whole" life insurance sales pitches of the pre-boomer generation. It was sad that so many people fell for it and the so-called comfort of "a paid up life insurance policy". So Jill is a strong, good player with a big payday. If the trend holds up she'll be hitting the road tomorrow :lol:

Once the category said "novel", I went into derp mode. Civil War fake news - GWTW. 1895 - nope. I guessed War and Peace just to have something and hoping the Civil War grump was just a distraction.

I abhor fiction - all the time invested in reading it and you have learned nothing real. I'd rather read history. I believe I read the RBoC book in high school but thought it was a "short story", wtf that is... But no excuse, I just didn't know it was a Jeopardy fave.

I thought the quote was meant as praise, but seeing the whole thing (posted here), I'm not sure.

I'm a little surprised that $5 blackjack has made it to NYNY, but it is a lower tier casino now. I miss going downtown with the low rollers now that they are trying to make it a hipster/millenial destination.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

User avatar
Euphonium
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:58 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Monday, January 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Euphonium » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:36 am

Ugh, Howard Schultz. Can you not, please? Thanks!

I married Isis on the fifth day of May, but I could not hold on to her very long. So I cut off my hair and I rode straight away for the wild unknown country where I could not go wrong

Jupiter and Saturn, Oberon, Miranda, and Titannia...

Alex with the allusion to our worst nightmare!

Coryat: $37,800

J: 20R9P. Ugh. Got DD. 4/5 on Nonfiction and Blackjack. 3/5 on Plant the Flag, "Ace," and Insurance. 3/4 on Celebrities.

DJ: 25R3P1W. Got both DDs. 5/5 on Gods & Goddesses and Geograph"e." 4/4 on World Leaders. 4/5 on TV Biz and Award Etymology (it was 50/50 Caldecott or Newbery because I can never remember which is which, I went with the former). 3/5 on Oxymorons.

FJ: Instaget.

LT: laurel, Laura Hillenbrand, Good Grief, preemption, cable
In any dispute between labor and management, the workers are always right.

User avatar
Euphonium
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:58 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Monday, January 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Euphonium » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:38 am

CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:56 pm
if you are up on your casinos and years they opened i guess it would have been a breeze
You don't have to know the exact years, just that one is much more recent than the other.
In any dispute between labor and management, the workers are always right.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1327
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, January 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:05 am

Euphonium wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:38 am
CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:56 pm
if you are up on your casinos and years they opened i guess it would have been a breeze
You don't have to know the exact years, just that one is much more recent than the other.
had no idea they were 30ish years apart

User avatar
JayK33
Just a Fan
Posts: 701
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:10 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Monday, January 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JayK33 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:41 am

Nothing good came to me for FJ. So I'm starting out on the wrong foot this week.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6338
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Monday, January 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:17 am

morbeedo wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:35 pm
I went with Caldecott over Newberry :?
Newbery. One r. I did the same thing. I considered both but for some reason, leaned toward Caldecott.

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4450
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Monday, January 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:21 am

opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:17 am
Newbery. One r. I did the same thing.
No, you got it right.

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 2054
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Monday, January 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:50 am

It seems like NONFICTION keeps coming up as a category recently. Pretty soon they’re gonna run out of NONFICTION clues and be forced to get cute with “NON”FICTION, NON-NONFICTION or even NAAN FICTION

Post Reply