Wednesday, January 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7918, 2019-01-30

CONTESTANTS
Joan Dietrich, a Montessori teacher from Sammamish, Washington
Sean Thompson, a library assistant from Quispamsis, New Brunswick, Canada
Jill Regan, an auditor from Dedham, Massachusetts (whose 2-day cash winnings total $51,602)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. I hope all you folks noticed Jill was kind of poker-faced until Johnny mentioned the amount of money she has won over two days. That will usually change somebody's expression. Sean and Joan, could happen to you also. Let's go to work, and I'll wish all three of you good luck as you get to deal with these categories in the first round of play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HOPE YOU'VE BEEN STUDYING! (5/5)
BRUSHED UP YOUR SHAKESPEARE (5/5)
MAYBE SOME OSCAR WINNERS (5/5)
DICTIONARY DEFINITIONS (5/5)
THE PRESIDENTS, OF COURSE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
& EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sean: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Jill: 11 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Joan: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jill: $3,200
Sean: $2,600
Joan: $2,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Joan Dietrich is a Montessori teacher from the state of Washington, who is a big football fan of the Seattle Seahawks and a big hockey fan of the Vancouver Canucks. Now you've heard that Seattle is going to be the next city, probably, to get an NHL friends.

Joan: We have. We made an agreement with friends who want season tickets that we'll go to all the Canucks games, so we'll still be Canucks fans in Seattle.

Alex: Oh, all right. Good for you.

Alex: Sean Thompson, library assistant from New Brunswick, Canada. You're a curler. Competitively?

Sean: No. My sister is, but I just curl recreationally.

Alex: Oh, really? What's that mean? You sit there and have a beer and watch others play?

Sean: No, it means I go out onto the ice, lose two-thirds of the time, and have somebody else buy me a beer.

Alex: Smart move.

Alex: Jill Regan is our champion. She is from Dedham, Massachusetts. Who--is this true? You once surprised your boyfriend with bees?

Jill: I did. I love to garden, and I had heard that, you know, that pollinators were more important to have in the garden, so I had ordered bees online. And so it was a little too early in the year to put them outside, so I stored them in the refrigerator in a bag marked "Bees--Do Not Touch". He opened it up and said, "What are these bees doing in the fridge?" He says I'm difficult to live with. I don't know.

[Laughter]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sean found the Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Jill had $4,000, Sean had $4,400, and Joan was at $2,400. Sean wagered $3,600.

THE PRESIDENTS, OF COURSE $800: Ex-candy factory owner Petro Poroshenko leads this nation dealing with Russia & rebellion in its east

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
& EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD $1000: Last name of Maria & Marjorie, sisters of Osage descent who danced in different Ballets Russes in 1946

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sean: $11,000
Jill: $5,200
Joan: $2,400
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
RECENT TV (2/5)
VALLEYS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
STARTS WITH 3 CONSONANTS (5/5)
FRENCH MUSIC ABOUT SPAIN (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FLYING CARS? (4/5)
SPELLEMENTS (3/3) (Alex: You have to spell the element whose symbol will be given to you in the clue.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sean: 12 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Joan: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Jill: 3 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sean snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Jill had $5,200, Sean had $13,800, and Joan was at $2,400. Sean wagered $3,800.

VALLEYS $2000: Once part of Thebes, this valley was the burial site of many Egyptian pharaohs of the 18th, 19th & 20th dynasties

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jill who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Jill had $6,800, Sean had $20,800, and Joan was at $6,000. Jill made it a True Daily Double, wagering $6,800.

FRENCH MUSIC ABOUT SPAIN $1200: Maurice Ravel's Basque mother gave him a fondness for Spain most famously expressed in this 1928 work

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
RECENT TV $800: On HBO Camille Preaker, a reporter played by this multi-Oscar nominee, must be careful of "Sharp Objects"
(Sean: Who is Julia Roberts?)

VALLEYS $1200: We're off to the valley in California named for this succulent

FLYING CARS? $1200: GM added "Le" to the name of the F-86 fighter jet to get the name of this Buick model
(Joan: What is the LeBaron?)

RECENT TV $1200: Title last name of Christine, an Emmy-winning role for Louie Anderson
(Sean: What is Buckets?)
(Alex: We have less than a minute now.)

RECENT TV $1600: Disgraced L.A. lawyer Billy McBride has some "huge" issues to deal with on this Amazon show

FRENCH MUSIC ABOUT SPAIN $2000: Lalo's "Symphonie Espagnole" uses the rhythm of this Cuban dance that's also a famous aria in "Carmen"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sean: $21,200
Jill: $13,600
Joan: $11,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WOMEN WRITERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Sean: Wager $6,001 to cover Jill.
Jill: You have the hope of surpassing Sean if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $8,801 to force Sean to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Joan.
Joan: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $11,198 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One of her circle described her as "a lacy sleeve with a bottle of vitriol concealed in its folds"

FINAL SCORES
Joan: $11,200 + $10,100 = $21,300 (Who is Dorothy Parker?) (New champion: $21,300)
Jill: $13,600 - $8,801 = $4,799 (Who is Virginia Woolf) (3rd place: $1,000)
Sean: $21,200 - $6,001 = $15,199 (Who is Jane Austin?) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sean: $16,600, 25 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Joan: $11,200, 12 R, 3 W
Jill: $8,000, 14 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Combined Coryat: $35,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Sean: 25/60 = .417
Jill: 14/59 = .237
Joan: 13/58 = .224
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
DICTIONARY DEFINITIONS $400: Monarch, a word for a king or queen, is also slang for this old British coin meaning a monarch
(Joan: What is a crown?)

& EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD $200: The Spotted Cheetah was a 2017 pop-up restaurant with dishes like chicken Milanese incorporating this Frito-Lay snack
(Joan: What are Doritos?)

& EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD $400: In the 1980s, Canadian polymer company executive Steve Hartman made summer more fun by inventing this

THE PRESIDENTS, OF COURSE $1000: Harsh policies toward drug dealers have led to condemnation for Rodrigo Duterte, president of this country

& EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD $800: His life was quieter working in the Justice department's tax division than it was as Deputy Attorney General in 2018

HOPE YOU'VE BEEN STUDYING! $600: Are you ready to write this in-depth treatment of a subject, from Latin for "discuss", & get your doctorate?
(Sean: What is a thesis?)

FRENCH MUSIC ABOUT SPAIN $400: Emmanuel Chabrier traveled through Spain in 1882 & titled this work after what Spaniards call their country

FRENCH MUSIC ABOUT SPAIN $800: Claude Debussy titled this work after the peninsula where Spain is located

FLYING CARS? $400: Lamborghini's Reventon was inspired by the F-22 Raptor, this kind of fighter designed to evade detection

SPELLEMENTS $1200: Cd
(Sean: What is C-A-D-M-I-M-U-M?)

FLYING CARS? $2000: Giovanni Michelotti designed the Spitfire, a real winner in the '60s for this British car brand
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Ukraine
the Tallchief sisters
the Valley of the Kings
"Bolero"
Amy Adams
a yucca
LeSabre
Baskets
Goliath
the habanera
Dorothy Parker
a sovereign
Cheetos
a (pool) noodle
the Philippines
Rosenstein
a dissertation
"España"
the "Iberian" peninsula
a stealth fighter
C-A-D-M-I-U-M
Triumph
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WOMEN WRITERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One of her circle described her as “a lacy sleeve with a bottle of vitriol concealed in its folds”

Jill Regan: 13600-8801=4799
Sean Thompson: 21200-6001=15199
Joan Dietrich: 11200+10100=21300 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Dorothy Parker (Jill – Virginia Woolf) (Sean – Jane Austin)

Daily Doubles
Sean: 4400+3600
Sean: 13800+3800
Jill: 6800+6800

Coryats
Jill: 8000
Sean: 16600
Joan: 11200

Combined: 35,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jill: 5200
Sean: 11000
Joan: 2400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Sean the library assistant got the clue for the library's enclosed private cubicle, so I thought it was going to be his day as 11,000 after the J! round seem to point.

Nope, he was doubly wrong in the FJ! round with a big lead having the wrong name and misspelling her as well. +7400 on DDs was big though not big enough.

Jill had her own chance to win from second place as she bet enough to cover Joan. Jill was closer in era to the right name though still off.

Nice win by Joan to take the game from third with the sole solve and no DDs played.

I turned the FJ! clue into a movie clue in spotting "circle" to think of the right name and "vitriol" made me think of "Vicious" in the 1994 Jennifer Jason Leigh film. Whatever works. I'll take it.

2/5 in RECENT TV. That category is difficult to keep up with and I do my best to try. Too many shows these days.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I saw the category was WRITERS, not AUTHORS, and started at Emily Dickinson given "lacy sleeve". Once the clue got going though, my thought process was pretty much the same as Mark's.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Poor Sean. My guess is that big red flag and blaring klaxon in the FJ clue didn’t mean anything to him so he just picked a woman author at random. But if there is one thing Austen wasn’t, it’s vitriolic.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This board in general felt very YEKIOYD. Felt like a lot of clues just didn't have TOMs at all.

"Michael Douglas" is way too generic a name to stick in my brain. I am vaguely aware that there is someone by that name, but since there are probably 40 trillion other people with that exact name, I forget what he's famous for. Why can't more celebs have weird names?

Didn't recognize "sovereign" or "prognosis" in the vocab category, nor "rhubarb" as a squabble. That was a tough vocab category.

Don't recognize "A Winter's Tale" either.

"This Frito-Lay snack" felt very wide open. I saw no way to narrow that down at all.

I thought "Nittany" was extremely obscure for the top box.

Can't say I've heard of a "stealth fighter" either.

However, I ran Starts with 3 Consonants.

No guess on FJ! The clue seemed way too vague and open-ended to point to anyone. How about a TOM or something to narrow it down?!
that big red flag and blaring klaxon in the FJ clue didn’t mean anything to him
What warning? This clue was effectively "name a woman author".
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

The giveaway on the FJ answer was the word “circle” in the clue. Dorothy Parker is best known as a member of the Algonquin Circle.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

I still need to see Wall Street

Gary Oldman's best role was in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

I have never heard that usage of "rhubarb"

As Steve Holt once said: "BEATRICE!"

"What country is Duterte President of" seems way overvalued at $1000

It *is* called a "thesis" in some places (including at many Canadian universities, so it's understandable that that's the response Sean went for), but that doesn't have the required Latin root. Also: dissertation-writing is actually kinda fun.

Damn Sean is on fire. Also his spelling reminds me of me in the spelling bees in elementary and middle school.

I think they really should've negged Joan for "Iberian peninsula." The clue was asking for the name of the piece ("Iberia"), not the peninsula.

THEY ALIVE, DAMMIT!

The Cessna Caravan is definitely my favorite single-engine turboprop.

I appreciate Sean's head dancing.

Coryat: $38,000

J: 28R2P. Got DD. 5/5 on Studying, Shakespeare (surprisingly), Oscar Winners, and Presidents. 4/5 on Dictionary Definitions and Everything Else.

DJ: 21R6P1W. Got both DDs. 5/5 on French Music and Flying Cars. 3/3 on Spellements. 3/5 on Valleys (I guessed the wrong type of booze) and 2 Consonants. 2/5 on Recent TV.

FJ: Nope. I blurted out Gertrude Stein just to say something.

LT: Yucca Valley, LeSabre, Habanera
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

for the recent tv category i think they should have changed the title of the category to "recent non-network tv"
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:29 pm This board in general felt very YEKIOYD. Felt like a lot of clues just didn't have TOMs at all.

"Michael Douglas" is way too generic a name to stick in my brain. I am vaguely aware that there is someone by that name, but since there are probably 40 trillion other people with that exact name, I forget what he's famous for. Why can't more celebs have weird names?

Didn't recognize "sovereign" or "prognosis" in the vocab category, nor "rhubarb" as a squabble. That was a tough vocab category.

Don't recognize "A Winter's Tale" either.

"This Frito-Lay snack" felt very wide open. I saw no way to narrow that down at all.

I thought "Nittany" was extremely obscure for the top box.

Can't say I've heard of a "stealth fighter" either.

However, I ran Starts with 3 Consonants.

No guess on FJ! The clue seemed way too vague and open-ended to point to anyone. How about a TOM or something to narrow it down?!
that big red flag and blaring klaxon in the FJ clue didn’t mean anything to him
What warning? This clue was effectively "name a woman author".
are you kidding? how many frito lay snacks are associated with a cheetah?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:33 pm I still need to see Wall Street

Gary Oldman's best role was in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

I have never heard that usage of "rhubarb"

As Steve Holt once said: "BEATRICE!"

"What country is Duterte President of" seems way overvalued at $1000

It *is* called a "thesis" in some places (including at many Canadian universities, so it's understandable that that's the response Sean went for), but that doesn't have the required Latin root. Also: dissertation-writing is actually kinda fun.

Damn Sean is on fire. Also his spelling reminds me of me in the spelling bees in elementary and middle school.

I think they really should've negged Joan for "Iberian peninsula." The clue was asking for the name of the piece ("Iberia"), not the peninsula.

THEY ALIVE, DAMMIT!

The Cessna Caravan is definitely my favorite single-engine turboprop.

I appreciate Sean's head dancing.

Coryat: $38,000

J: 28R2P. Got DD. 5/5 on Studying, Shakespeare (surprisingly), Oscar Winners, and Presidents. 4/5 on Dictionary Definitions and Everything Else.

DJ: 21R6P1W. Got both DDs. 5/5 on French Music and Flying Cars. 3/3 on Spellements. 3/5 on Valleys (I guessed the wrong type of booze) and 2 Consonants. 2/5 on Recent TV.

FJ: Nope. I blurted out Gertrude Stein just to say something.

LT: Yucca Valley, LeSabre, Habanera
i will disagree with you on that and go with "sid and nancy"
Leander

Post by Leander »

If I were being snarky, I might say a librarian should know how to spell Austen, even if it was the wrong answer.

I agree “Iberian Penninsula” should have been negged.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Easy to get to Dorothy Parker given the FJ clue. :mrgreen:
Jeers to the contestants for not finishing spellements. Had to finish recent TV, tho, didn't we? :x
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

What timing by Joan!. Last place, hardly heard from in the game and a literary clue comes up with an assistant librarian in the lead. Just the way she likes it!

I tried to think of Gertrude Stein's name as a possible literati socialite and couldn't pull it, so I went to Ayn Rand as a favorite Jeopardy punching bag. I don't know who Dorothy Parker is but have seen the name. I actually thought she was a gossip columnist. Stuff from this era like this Algonquin Circle and the Solvay Conferences (Physics, mostly) makes me wonder if there are any modern equivalents going on now that will be envied or admired by later generations. The Davos gatherings maybe?

I'd love to have seen the bag of tricks in the other spellements - maybe Fluorine or Yttrium for the spelling, or Antimony, Iron, or Lead for the deception (Sb,Fe, Pb)? But once the Canadian spelling of Cadmimum came up, the category was toxic. Will our Canadians back up Alex's comment about how pupils spell words aloud with such deliberation? I'm still saying PO-TAY-TOE, thanks to Emma :).

For the bewildered, "rhubarb" seems to me to be associated with baseball sportswriting from the Golden era. This is another one for the super seniors. I got my first driver's license in a 1965 LeSabre with a 400 cc engine - some serious Detroit iron!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I worked with a theatre director who always used ‘rhubarb’ to refer to general noise and conversation made by background actors on stage

Instaget, Dorothy Parker!

An unexpected conclusion for sure. Sorry to see Jill go
Last edited by morbeedo on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:39 pm
Euphonium wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:33 pm Gary Oldman's best role was in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
I'm not much of a subtlety fan. Léon's my pick.

Flipping between Parker and Woolf, but eventually keyed in that they used -writer- not -author- plus Algonquin was a US thing, Woolf was from the UK.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Volante wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:22 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:39 pm
Euphonium wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:33 pm Gary Oldman's best role was in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
I'm not much of a subtlety fan. Léon's my pick.

Flipping between Parker and Woolf, but eventually keyed in that they used -writer- not -author- plus Algonquin was a US thing, Woolf was from the UK.
interesting that you went with the non-american title instead of The Professional
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:20 pm I worked with a theatre director who always used ‘rhubarb’ to refer to general noise and conversation made by background actors on stage

Instaget, Dorothy Parker!

An unexpected conclusion for sure. Sorry to see Jill go
you are hardcore, dude...had never even heard of her before tonight
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

DBear wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:08 pm Easy to get to Dorothy Parker given the FJ clue. :mrgreen:
Jeers to the contestants for not finishing spellements. Had to finish recent TV, tho, didn't we? :x
give me tv or spelling every day...but seeing that it was trendy non-network productions it was a wash and both categories were equally as bad