Wednesday, January 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Just remembered I said habañera when the correct response was habanera. They might have let me get away with that but they really shouldn't. As to why I made that mistake, I blame Decca Records. They use that misspelling on the track listing for my CD of Lalo and Chabrier pieces. I didn't realize it was wrong until this clue made me look it up.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:40 pm Just remembered I said habañera when the correct response was habanera. They might have let me get away with that but they really shouldn't. As to why I made that mistake, I blame Decca Records. They use that misspelling on the track listing for my CD of Lalo and Chabrier pieces. I didn't realize it was wrong until this clue made me look it up.
Ditto. I also said it with the "ñ" sound, though I can't blame Decca. I may blame the common mispronunciation of the habanero pepper, though, since a lot of people put the tilde in to parallel the pronunciation of jalapeño.

Like you, I was inspired to look it up; Wikipedia calls the incorrectly-added tilde a "hyperforeignism." It's a concept I was familiar with without knowing it had a name.

At least I knew habanera and habanero are terms for someone from Havana. Though that wouldn't excuse the mispronunciation if we had been called for it.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
PowerofHoodoo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by PowerofHoodoo »

I thought Sean's pronunciation of carrel was a little too OK Corral. Perhaps it's my upper Midwest upbringing, but I pronounce it more like Christmas carol. An online source hits the -el a little heavier and to rhyme with bell.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

PowerofHoodoo wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:11 pm I pronounce it more like Christmas carol.
That seems to be the connection the writers were going for; the clue said "you'll sing the praises of" it.
Sprinkles are for winners.
heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by heppm01 »

Today I learned
AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:55 pm habanera and habanero are terms for someone from Havana
Cool -thanks!
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

PowerofHoodoo wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:11 pm I thought Sean's pronunciation of carrel was a little too OK Corral. Perhaps it's my upper Midwest upbringing, but I pronounce it more like Christmas carol. An online source hits the -el a little heavier and to rhyme with bell.
I've worked in libraries most of my life and I've never before heard it pronounced the way Sean did. He made me a little insecure for a minute till I looked it up...What online source? All the dictionaries I've looked at (and listened to) agree with us.
To be honest, I hesitated to respond to that one since "private" seems an overstatement for a carrel. "Enclosed," yes.

I can frown at Sean's spelling without hating his FJ guess. Austen did have a sharp wit, and one reader at Amazon has called her letters to her "family circle" "vitriolic." - Maybe Sean read them... :geek:
[I took out the link to the Amazon page of The Letters of Jane Austen because it became a straight-up ad... :roll: ]
I don't really think of Dorothy Parker as "lacy," either. But I did catch the probable import of "circle"...
PowerofHoodoo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by PowerofHoodoo »

davey wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:09 am
PowerofHoodoo wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:11 pm I thought Sean's pronunciation of carrel was a little too OK Corral. Perhaps it's my upper Midwest upbringing, but I pronounce it more like Christmas carol. An online source hits the -el a little heavier and to rhyme with bell.
I've worked in libraries most of my life and I've never before heard it pronounced the way Sean did. He made me a little insecure for a minute till I looked it up...What online source? All the dictionaries I've looked at (and listened to) agree with us.
To be honest, I hesitated to respond to that one since "private" seems an overstatement for a carrel. "Enclosed," yes.

I can frown at Sean's spelling without hating his FJ guess. Austen did have a sharp wit, and one reader at Amazon has called her letters to her "family circle" "vitriolic." - Maybe Sean read them... :geek:
[I took out the link to the Amazon page of The Letters of Jane Austen because it became a straight-up ad... :roll: ]
I don't really think of Dorothy Parker as "lacy," either. But I did catch the probable import of "circle"...
Being lazy, I did a superficial search for the pronunciation of carrel. I was referring to a YouTube "Emma Saying" video by the account mmmEnglish. I just now noticed she says she has an Australian English accent. The Cambridge Dictionary has both an English and American pronunciation with the American one more like carol

Way to beat a minor quibble into the ground!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:09 am I can frown at Sean's spelling without hating his FJ guess. Austen did have a sharp wit, and one reader at Amazon has called her letters to her "family circle" "vitriolic." - Maybe Sean read them... :geek:
The lacy sleeve was the one thing that gave me pause as well. But everything else worked for Parker so I stuck with her. I agree that Jane Austen's not a terrible guess. For that matter, Virginia Woolf wasn't either. She's probably more dour than vitriolic, but it's not inconceivable that someone would apply the word vitriol to her. And she was part of the Bloomsbury Group, so she had a circle whose members might speak of her.