Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7920, 2019-02-01

CONTESTANTS
Karen Gieger, an accountant and mom from Mobile, Alabama
Will Dawson, a tour guide from Washington, D.C.
Meghan Schulz, an environmental engineer from Bristol, Pennsylvania (whose 1-day cash winnings total $27,190)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Last month we had a number of champions who would go on to win four and five matches. Get close to $100,000. Lately, it seems that we're sharing the wealth. We have contestants who have become champions for a day or two, and Meghan became champ yesterday. Won a lot of money. Would like to repeat today against Karen and Will. Let's start finding out how that works out. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round. And the categories, please...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHAT A DAD WANTS (5/5)
STAMPS (3/3, including 1 correct Daily Double)
5-LETTER "W"ORDS (4/5)
SHE'S GOT AWAY (4/5)
NEW YORK STATE OF MIND (5/5)
BILLY JOEL (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Meghan: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Will: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Karen: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Meghan: $4,400
Will: $1,600
Karen: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Karen Gieger is an accountant from Mobile, Alabama. Karen, you've got mail.

Karen: Yes.

Alex: That's how you met your husband, long before--

Karen: Before that, actually.

Alex: Before that?

Karen: Yes. Yes.

Alex: Tell me about it.

Karen: Well, several years--probably two or three years before the movie, back when AOL had chat rooms and all that kind of stuff, before these dating apps that are now the thing, my husband had posted a thing--now-husband in one of the chat rooms. And I was looking at it, and I'm like, "I think I should know him. I think he, you know, grew up in my town, and went to the other school." And so we corresponded for a couple weeks, and then called, and then we started going out. And now, that was what, 22 years ago.

Alex: Holy smokes.

Karen: But we've even--you know, yeah, we've gone to New York, and so You've Got Mail holds a special place for us.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Will Dawson, tour guide from Washington, D.C., who has sung at Westminster Abbey, St. Peter's Basilica, and Notre Dame Cathedral.

Will: Yes. I was a member of a church choir from middle school through high school. And we did European trips, and I got to sing at all these amazing cathedrals. I even saw Pope John Paul II through his apartment window, so that was pretty cool.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Meghan Schulz, from Bristol, Pennsylvania, is our champion. She's been training lately not to be a contestant in a quiz show like Jeopardy!--she's been training to be a circus aerialist.

Meghan: Yes. I take classes at Secret Circus in Philadelphia. It's--I mean, I'm not training to be a professional aerialist, but I take classes in trapeze and silk and rope and aerial hoop. And it's great exercise and it's so much fun.

Alex: Do they teach you how to fall into the net properly?

Meghan: They don't really teach us, but we have big, squishy mats, so pretty much it's okay no matter what happens.

Alex: As long as they have something. Be a cheap school if they didn't have a net or a foam mattress.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Will found the Daily Double on the 28th clue. Meghan had $4,200, Will had $4,600, and Karen was at $2,600. Will wagered $2,000.

STAMPS $600: A musician plays a guitar, exemplifying the Delta blues, on the stamp honoring its 200th anniversary of statehood
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SHE'S GOT AWAY $800: Love was rough on this medieval pair:
their affair exposed, he fled to a convent & he was castrated & became a monk
(Meghan: Who are Tristan and Isolde?)

5-LETTER "W"ORDS $1000: A hoist

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Will: $6,600
Meghan: $4,200
Karen: $2,600
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BETTER CALL PAUL (5/5)
CITIES THROUGH TIME (4/5)
SULFUR (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MO"V"IES (5/5)
RELIGIOUS LITERATURE (5/5)
ANAGRAM PAIRS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Meghan: 12 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Will: 10 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
Karen: 8 R (including 3 rebounds), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Meghan snagged the next Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Meghan had $9,800, Will had $15,800, and Karen was at $4,600. Meghan wagered $3,500.

ANAGRAM PAIRS $1200: Japan's capital, now & then

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Meghan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Meghan had $13,300, Will had $13,400, and Karen was at $8,200. Meghan wagered $3,000.

SULFUR $1200: Before it meant "to add sulfur to rubber", this verb just meant "to burn"
(Alex: [Before Meghan wagers] And we have less than a minute to deal with the remaining clues.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CITIES THROUGH TIME $2000: About 1,000 years ago, Casablanca was a village of these double-talk people

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Will: $17,000
Meghan: $16,300
Karen: $11,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE SOLAR SYSTEM

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Will: Wager $15,601 to cover Meghan.
Meghan: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Karen, hoping that you give the correct response and Will doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $7,301 to cover Karen's doubled score, but no more than $14,900 if you want to top Will on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $4,499 and win if both Will and Karen miss Final.
Karen: If you think Meghan is going to wager to cover you, try wagering less than $2,800 to beat Will and Meghan on the Triple Stumper; or, if you think Meghan is going to wager small in hopes of a Triple Stumper, wager between $4,501 (venusian, to top a $0 wager by Meghan) and $11,800 (martian, which may win in some cases but may also risk dropping you from second to third place if you get Final wrong).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For a while in the 1840s, the French wanted to name this new discovery "Le Verrier" & the British wanted "Oceanus"

FINAL SCORES
Karen: $11,800 + $5,000 = $16,800 (What is Neptune?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Meghan: $16,300 + $14,800 = $31,100 (What is Neptune?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Will: $17,000 + $15,601 = $32,601 (What is Neptune) (New champion: $32,601)
(Alex: Le Verrier was a French astronomer who was instrumental in the discovery of this planet.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Will: $15,600, 20 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Meghan: $12,200, 23 R (including 2 DDs), 5 W
Karen: $11,800, 13 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $39,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Meghan: 24/60 = .400
Will: 21/59 = .356
Karen: 14/58 = .241
Team: 59/63 = .937

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WHAT A DAD WANTS $200: Sometimes a dad just wants to get a dog, & this breed here, developed in the 1800s, can be your new best pal

BILLY JOEL $200: An L.A. bar gig in the '70s inspired Billy to write this song

BILLY JOEL $600: This tender song was Billy's first U.S. Top 10 hit

WHAT A DAD WANTS $600: Hey Dad, check out the view atop Diamond Head on this island that also has the state capital
(Will: What is Hawaii?)

NEW YORK STATE OF MIND $600: The atrium seen here is in the New York City building named for this man--because of his finance news service, not his mayordom

NEW YORK STATE OF MIND $1000: This Finger Lakes city shares a name with the home of Odysseus
(Meghan: What is Geneva?)

5-LETTER "W"ORDS $400: To gamble
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

SULFUR $400: Paired with "fire", this is the Biblical name for sulfur
(Meghan: What is St. Elmo's?)

ANAGRAM PAIRS $400: Wept & an apple beverage
(Meghan: What is cider?)
(Alex: We need--)
(Meghan: Cried.)
(Alex: That's it. Give us both.)

CITIES THROUGH TIME $1600: In 1535 Lima was founded by Pizarro as Cidad de los Reyes, meaning this
(Karen: What is City of the Sun?)

SULFUR $800: Louisiana & this neighbor together produce more than half of the sulfur in the United States
(Meghan: What is Mississippi?)

ANAGRAM PAIRS $1600: True blue & a substance composed of 2 or more metals
(Will: What is compound and cobalt?)
(Meghan: What is an alloy and...a...?)

ANAGRAM PAIRS $2000: ASAP & a positively charted subatomic particle
(Will: What is proton and, uh, possible?)

BETTER CALL PAUL $1200: Preventing government overreach & overspending are concerns of his

SULFUR $1600: The amount of sulfur present determines the grade of this lamp fuel
(Will: What is butane?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; ruled correct before Final Jeopardy!]

BETTER CALL PAUL $2000: A civil rights activist, actor & singer, he became famous with his version of "Ol' Man River" from "Show Boat"

CORRECT RESPONSES
Mississippi
Abelard and Heloise
a winch
Tokyo and Kyoto
to vulcanize
the Berbers
Neptune
a golden retriever
"Piano Man"
"Just The Way You Are"
Oahu
Bloomberg
Ithaca
to wager
brimstone
cider, cried
City of Kings
Texas
alloy and loyal
proton and pronto
Rand Paul
kerosene (or butane)
Paul Robeson
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE SOLAR SYSTEM

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For awhile in the 1840s, the French wanted to name this new discovery “Le Verrier” & the British wanted “Oceanus”

Meghan Schulz: 16300+14800=31100
Will Dawson: 17000+15601=32601 (New Champ)
Karen Gieger: 11800+5000=16800

Correct response:
Spoiler
Neptune

Daily Doubles
Will: 4600+2000
Meghan: 9800+3500
Meghan: 13300+3000

Coryats
Meghan: 12200
Will: 15600
Karen: 11800

Combined: 39,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Meghan: 4200
Will: 6600
Karen: 2600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

SULFUR $1600: The amount of sulfur present determines the grade of this lamp fuel

Will was negged for butane and got credit for a correct response to go from trailing for the FJ! round to having the lead before the FJ! clue was revealed. Karen’s rebound of the wanted response of kerosene did not alter first and second positions.

Meghan had +6500 on DDs yet was shy of the lead when she needed it in a triple solve game. She also lost money on some out of left field misses like Geneva and St. Elmo’s.

The FJ! clue went 3/3 and I did my part to keep it perfect as 1800s & Oceanus seemed to point to the right place.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:28 am Meghan had +6500 on DDs yet was shy of the lead when she needed it in a triple solve game. She also lost money on some out of left field misses like Geneva and St. Elmo’s.
How had she performed on the other anagram clues before the Daily Double? Did she bet too little for the category and her performance there?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:44 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:28 am Meghan had +6500 on DDs yet was shy of the lead when she needed it in a triple solve game. She also lost money on some out of left field misses like Geneva and St. Elmo’s.
How had she performed on the other anagram clues before the Daily Double? Did she bet too little for the category and her performance there?
$400 & $800 were both M+ for a small sample size that she understood the category and could figure them out.

At DD2 Will had 15800 and Meghan had 9800 with Karen at 4600. Meghan's +3500 got her to second place with 8 clues remaining.

DD3 had Meghan trailing 13300 to 13400 (and 8200 for Karen) and her $3000 got her the lead with 3 clues worth $5600 remaining. The DD was once again in the $1200 box. I have no idea if Meghan being an environmental engineer meant an edge with a science-y type category of SULFUR?
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Yeah, getting $400 and $800 in that category means she should have gone for the lead at minimum and probably even all-in.

It would have given her the space to be conservative (clue value at maximum) after her struggles on $400 and $800 in SULFUR.

And, as luck would have had it, 6001 + 1200 would have given her the lead going into Final Jeopardy.
Andy Saunders
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 45,600
52 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: winch, Berbers

Darn you, Paul Robeson! I was 29/29 in DJ! until you showed up.

I chose "orthodox" over "Hasidic," assuming that the former would BMS to the latter. Judges?
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:24 pm Yeah, getting $400 and $800 in that category means she should have gone for the lead at minimum and probably even all-in.
My primary comment on today's game was going to be that Meghan should have gone TDD here. Not only had she done well on the first two clues in the category, but this is the type of "thinker" category where the extra few seconds afforded on a DD can make all the difference. She was not going to get a better chance than this one.

OTOH, anagram pairs were not Will's forte. Compound/cobalt and proton/possible are not good guesses.
Sprinkles are for winners.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I think it's kinda weak to call butane a lamp fuel. Sure, it makes a flame so you can certainly make a lamp out of that, but still ...

Also, I hate when they change the scoring after all the clues are gone. It doesn't look like Meghan know pyrite, but with the lead she had, she didn't need to ring in on either of the final two clues. Had he been given credit for butane, maybe she would have rung in correctly one one of the two.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

econgator wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:33 pm I think it's kinda weak to call butane a lamp fuel. Sure, it makes a flame so you can certainly make a lamp out of that, but still ...
I found an example of a butane-powered lamp in 5 seconds on Google.
econgator wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:33 pm Also, I hate when they change the scoring after all the clues are gone. It doesn't look like Meghan know pyrite, but with the lead she had, she didn't need to ring in on either of the final two clues. Had he been given credit for butane, maybe she would have rung in correctly one one of the two.
Play to the whistle.
Andy Saunders
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

I feel Meghan's pain over that score change after the break to FJ. You think the game is on your racket - get FJ right and you win! Then suddenly it's on his racket. He gets FJ right and he wins. Ouch. I'm not too upset about butane as a lamp fuel, though. A quick search at REI shows a can of butane fuel, a butane camp stove and a butane pocket torch. Is butane really graded by sulfur content?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DavidRosen wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:48 pm Is butane really graded by sulfur content?
Here's an example:

https://magellanlp.com/uploadedFiles/Co ... Butane.pdf
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:46 pm
Play to the whistle.
Usually, yes, but in this game it's a perfectly valid strategy not to (and even foolish to do in some cases).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Sister would be disappointed that I didn't run the Billy Joel category. Didn't know "Just the Way You Are" or Elton John.

Ran the Anagram Pairs category, and surprisingly, Sulfur.

However, I didn't recognize anything in She's Got Away or the Movie category in DJ!

One of the first Paul Bunyan stories was published in my hometown of Oscoda, Michigan, so no way was I missing that.

Blah blah blah "Oceanus"... uh... oh! Neptune! Duh. Took me a few seconds but I got there. At least I didn't have to discern them by size or appearance, because that remains a constant Achilles heel of mine.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:46 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:33 pm Also, I hate when they change the scoring after all the clues are gone. It doesn't look like Meghan know pyrite, but with the lead she had, she didn't need to ring in on either of the final two clues. Had he been given credit for butane, maybe she would have rung in correctly one one of the two.
Play to the whistle.
This is sort of begging the question. Presumably, she did play to the whistle based on the scores that were in front of her. Working with the football analogy, would it seem fair if a team had possession and the lead late in the fourth quarter, went into the victory formation, and then found out once the clock ran out that an earlier incomplete pass by the opposing team had been retroactively ruled a touchdown? Would we just shrug it off and say that they should have tried to score again? I get that J! is different in that players know reversals are possible at the break, but should we expect the leader to risk an otherwise insurmountable lead on the off chance that a reversal changes all that?
Sprinkles are for winners.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:03 pm Coryat: 45,600
52 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: winch, Berbers

Darn you, Paul Robeson! I was 29/29 in DJ! until you showed up.

I chose "orthodox" over "Hasidic," assuming that the former would BMS to the latter. Judges?
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:24 pm Yeah, getting $400 and $800 in that category means she should have gone for the lead at minimum and probably even all-in.
My primary comment on today's game was going to be that Meghan should have gone TDD here. Not only had she done well on the first two clues in the category, but this is the type of "thinker" category where the extra few seconds afforded on a DD can make all the difference. She was not going to get a better chance than this one.

OTOH, anagram pairs were not Will's forte. Compound/cobalt and proton/possible are not good guesses.
graduating from pennsyltucky state university helped me get that clue
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Got FJ just from "1840's", everything else was just noise. :geek:
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I was thinking it could be conceivable that we might see Meghan again. I don't know if there's any precedent for this kind of appeal, but if she told them she knew either of the final two $2000 clues but held off on buzzing to ensure the lead in case she was wrong, it would be a pretty good argument to get another chance to play. I don't know if they'd act on this given all she'd have is her word but I don't think it would be the most generous return I've ever seen them allow.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Is the buzzer timer not on the usual clock for audio clues? Or is that it's so unpredictable when they clue ends that you're just guessing?

Knowing that Nicolas Cage had a brief appearance in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, I strained my brain to try and remember any scene beyond the one at the fast food joint with him before I remembered the category.

Yes, let's just take Rand Paul's assertions about his political priorities at face value...

Coryat: $45,000

J: 25R2P1W. Got DD. 5/5 on 5-Letter, She's Got Away, and New York. 3/3 on Stamps. 4/5 on Billy Joel. 3/5 on What a Dad Wants (I went with Jethro Tull instead of John Deere, thinking that maybe 1837 seemed a little late for him but also figuring it went with the whole dad-rock vibe. Also cool tidbit: the fact that the band wound up with that name was basically an accident.)

DJ: 27R3P. Got both DDs. 2/5 on Movies, 5/5 on everything else.

FJ: Instaget. "Oceanus" -> "Neptune" isn't a hard leap to make.

LT: Abelard and Heloise, winch, Berbers
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:00 pm I was thinking it could be conceivable that we might see Meghan again. I don't know if there's any precedent for this kind of appeal, but if she told them she knew either of the final two $2000 clues but held off on buzzing to ensure the lead in case she was wrong, it would be a pretty good argument to get another chance to play. I don't know if they'd act on this given all she'd have is her word but I don't think it would be the most generous return I've ever seen them allow.
I see your point, but with all of the recent returns, there's been something easily explainable to the viewing audience. I'm not sure how that would get easily explained to the viewing audience.
Andy Saunders
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:11 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:00 pm I was thinking it could be conceivable that we might see Meghan again. I don't know if there's any precedent for this kind of appeal, but if she told them she knew either of the final two $2000 clues but held off on buzzing to ensure the lead in case she was wrong, it would be a pretty good argument to get another chance to play. I don't know if they'd act on this given all she'd have is her word but I don't think it would be the most generous return I've ever seen them allow.
I see your point, but with all of the recent returns, there's been something easily explainable to the viewing audience. I'm not sure how that would get easily explained to the viewing audience.
"She might have pursued a different strategy had her opponent's response been ruled correct at the time."