Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews
Posts: 1209
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:16 pm

For what it's worth, this is not the first time the lead has changed on a late-game judge's reversal, and the disadvantaged party didn't get to come back in those cases either. And there have been more egregious cases, including one where the margin of victory was the rebound on the reversed neg. So, If Meghan gets brought back, there are a good half-dozen to dozen people who suddenly now have cases to come back too.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8936
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:26 pm

Not that it answers the question: https://6abc.com/entertainment/septa-em ... 07025320=1

If anyone is bothered by this speculation then don't look at previously.tv for the one about Karen: http://forums.previously.tv/topic/73594 ... 9/?page=67

User avatar
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 840
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:09 pm
Location: Cynthiana, KY

Re: Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mxc_takeshi » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:58 pm

44 right.

Lach Trash: Berbers

A quick get for FJ.

User avatar
JayK33
Just a Fan
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:10 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JayK33 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:31 pm

"Oceanus" = Ocean = solar system body having to do with ocean = maybe God of the sea/ocean = Neptune?

2/5.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4391
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:01 am

DBear wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:46 pm
Got FJ just from "1840's", everything else was just noise. :geek:
I knew Uranus was discovered in the 18th century, and Pluto in the 20th, so backed into Neptune from that. "Oceanus" just confirmed it.

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1362
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 am

Re: Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Johnblue » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:08 am

Euphonium wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:10 pm


Yes, let's just take Rand Paul's assertions about his political priorities at face value.
The question referred to his duties as a Senate Committee Chairman.

Anyway, a really easy game. Will was crushing his buzzer. I went to previously.tv after MB linked their page and those people are real assholes.

User avatar
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 736
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Lefty » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:16 am

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:01 am
DBear wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:46 pm
Got FJ just from "1840's", everything else was just noise. :geek:
I knew Uranus was discovered in the 18th century, and Pluto in the 20th, so backed into Neptune from that. "Oceanus" just confirmed it.
Yeah, one new planet a century I can just about keep up with.

Interesting to learn about this Le Verrier guy, but I can't imagine too many people who did know him needed him in the clue to solve it (for those who still haven't looked him up, he predicted and correctly positioned Neptune without ever seeing it, based on the fact that something must be causing Uranus to orbit in a manner inconsistent with the theories of Newton and Kepler. This same effect, at a more mundane level, was perceived by Travis McGee a couple of times and helped him solve crimes in a couple of different books. The second time I ran into this explanation was the moment I decided I could skip the rest of the Travis McGee series).

The anagram pairs category could have been fun if the word pairs all interacted. For instance, "cried cider" or "proton, pronto!" As written, it was rather dull.

Elton John is the man whose record Billy Joel broke for most lifetime concert appearances at Madison Square Garden. Before that, it was the Grateful Dead.

Being interrupted while reading the Odysseus clue to someone here was the moment I realized that Odie, Garfield's friend, is probably "Odysseus" on his birth certificate.

A Facebook friend of mine posted just today that she had bought a sheet of Scooby stamps, so I seem to have been destined to get this one. I wonder what for?
I'm smart and I want respect.

yclept
Valued Contributor
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:43 am

Re: Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by yclept » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:31 am

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:16 pm
For what it's worth, this is not the first time the lead has changed on a late-game judge's reversal, and the disadvantaged party didn't get to come back in those cases either. And there have been more egregious cases, including one where the margin of victory was the rebound on the reversed neg. So, If Meghan gets brought back, there are a good half-dozen to dozen people who suddenly now have cases to come back too.
Pretty much have to put this game in the “that sucks, but nothing we can do” category.

Perhaps not in this game since all three scores were strong heading into final, but in some games, the reversal could obviously HELP you if FJ is a triple stumper and you have the ability to bet small from second place.

But to lose $30K+ like that has to still sting pretty badly...

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4452
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:00 am

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:16 pm
For what it's worth, this is not the first time the lead has changed on a late-game judge's reversal, and the disadvantaged party didn't get to come back in those cases either. And there have been more egregious cases, including one where the margin of victory was the rebound on the reversed neg. So, If Meghan gets brought back, there are a good half-dozen to dozen people who suddenly now have cases to come back too.
I don't really think the half-dozen people is a good argument. To the best of my knowledge, the show is under no legal obligation to be consistent with all past and future precedents and ensure that all rulings on responses or appeals are consistent from year to year. We see this literally all the time where they prompt on President Kennedy but don't prompt on President Johnson, but neither is the same every time. A player who lost in 1997 after being prompted and guessing incorrectly with Andrew Johnson isn't suddenly going to show up at the studio claiming this cost him the game. I assume they have an appeal process and any player who has not followed it within a specified number of weeks or months is considered to have their case closed.

In all likelihood this is all moot as I'm guessing it's unlikley that Meghan makes the claim that I proposed. But if she does and she seems believable and gains a sympathetic ear on the production staff, I see no reason why they couldn't give her the benefit of the doubt and admit that their incompletely researched/pinned clue had a detrimental effect on her chances of winning the game and that this reaches a threshold that merits her getting another chance. Do I think it's likely? No. But I think it's entirely possible.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6295
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:12 am

That's the first time I've heard Albany pronounced that way.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5947
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:00 am

Lefty wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:16 am
Being interrupted while reading the Odysseus clue to someone here was the moment I realized that Odie, Garfield's friend, is probably "Odysseus" on his birth certificate.
To help raise Telemachus while he was away, Odysseus enlisted the services of Mentor; James Garfield made his family home in Mentor, Ohio. Clearly Odysseus and Garfield are a natural pairing.

User avatar
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:02 pm
Location: Massachusetts, by way of Vermont!

Re: Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by threearruda » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:11 am

Great game by all three players. Tough break for Meghan at the end there.

For some reason the Oceanus part didn't click, but I got Final going through the back entrance. 1840s sounded right for Neptune, Pluto came later, Uranus came earlier. Also knew the story of Johann Galle, who found the planet. Good enough, I guess!
Dumb college kid. Go BR!

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Sharp As A Tack
Posts: 726
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:56 am

56 R (Only missing Wench, and Hasidic Judaism(Negged with Zionism.))
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Peter Abelard and Heloise, Winch, Berber
Known in the real world as Douglas Squasoni.

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1045
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Elijah Baley » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:01 am

I know that they’re somewhat generous with pronunciation of foreign names but I expected Will to get reversed on his take on Isabel Allende.

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2346
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:56 am

threearruda wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:11 am
Great game by all three players. Tough break for Meghan at the end there.

For some reason the Oceanus part didn't click, but I got Final going through the back entrance. 1840s sounded right for Neptune, Pluto came later, Uranus came earlier. Also knew the story of Johann Galle, who found the planet. Good enough, I guess!
Agreed, and agreed. I guess this is what they call the name what they call it. She Seemed to have the game in hand, until she didn't

LT: Heloise and Abelard and Ted and Alice.

I thought I would run "Stamps," based on a onetime philately pastime. Unfortunately "onetime" doesn't mean keeping up on all the way more recent issues, so, uh, not a run.

Instaget FJ

congrats to all three on a very solid, well-played game, and to Will for being able to capitalize on his kerosene mulligan.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5947
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:58 pm

Elijah Baley wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:01 am
I know that they’re somewhat generous with pronunciation of foreign names but I expected Will to get reversed on his take on Isabel Allende.
Yeah, I heard something like "Isabella La Yende." But there are some Spanish-affiliated languages (if not Spanish dialects) where the double L is more like the "lli" in "William" than a straight Y sound. For example, there was a teacher named Estrella from the Philippines in my elementary school, and to hear her name pronounced you might think it was closer to "Australia" than to the Spanish word for "star." So I think Will was saying something like "Alyende," but turning the awkward consonant cluster of "ly" into a syllable (like some do with "triathlon," for example).

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1045
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Elijah Baley » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:06 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:58 pm
Elijah Baley wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:01 am
I know that they’re somewhat generous with pronunciation of foreign names but I expected Will to get reversed on his take on Isabel Allende.
Yeah, I heard something like "Isabella La Yende." But there are some Spanish-affiliated languages (if not Spanish dialects) where the double L is more like the "lli" in "William" than a straight Y sound. For example, there was a teacher named Estrella from the Philippines in my elementary school, and to hear her name pronounced you might think it was closer to "Australia" than to the Spanish word for "star." So I think Will was saying something like "Alyende," but turning the awkward consonant cluster of "ly" into a syllable (like some do with "triathlon," for example).
I definitely heard A-la-yende so he added another syllable. They should have at least had him repeat it.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5947
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:15 pm

Elijah Baley wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:06 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:58 pm
Elijah Baley wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:01 am
I know that they’re somewhat generous with pronunciation of foreign names but I expected Will to get reversed on his take on Isabel Allende.
Yeah, I heard something like "Isabella La Yende." But there are some Spanish-affiliated languages (if not Spanish dialects) where the double L is more like the "lli" in "William" than a straight Y sound. For example, there was a teacher named Estrella from the Philippines in my elementary school, and to hear her name pronounced you might think it was closer to "Australia" than to the Spanish word for "star." So I think Will was saying something like "Alyende," but turning the awkward consonant cluster of "ly" into a syllable (like some do with "triathlon," for example).
I definitely heard A-la-yende so he added another syllable. They should have at least had him repeat it.
Yes, I said he made a syllable out of it. They don't neg people for "tri-ath-a-lon" (and have even accepted that spelling minus dashes in FJ).

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1045
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Elijah Baley » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:50 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:15 pm
Elijah Baley wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:06 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:58 pm
Elijah Baley wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:01 am
I know that they’re somewhat generous with pronunciation of foreign names but I expected Will to get reversed on his take on Isabel Allende.
Yeah, I heard something like "Isabella La Yende." But there are some Spanish-affiliated languages (if not Spanish dialects) where the double L is more like the "lli" in "William" than a straight Y sound. For example, there was a teacher named Estrella from the Philippines in my elementary school, and to hear her name pronounced you might think it was closer to "Australia" than to the Spanish word for "star." So I think Will was saying something like "Alyende," but turning the awkward consonant cluster of "ly" into a syllable (like some do with "triathlon," for example).
I definitely heard A-la-yende so he added another syllable. They should have at least had him repeat it.
Yes, I said he made a syllable out of it. They don't neg people for "tri-ath-a-lon" (and have even accepted that spelling minus dashes in FJ).
It’s more than adding a syllable. It’s adding letters; there’s no “la” in Allende. If they ding a 10 year old for it, they should be consistent.

Let’s be real; the judging has been incredibly questionable of late. Maybe someone is out sick or retired but many people have commented in the past week or two.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5947
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:00 pm

Elijah Baley wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:50 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:15 pm
Elijah Baley wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:06 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:58 pm
Elijah Baley wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:01 am
I know that they’re somewhat generous with pronunciation of foreign names but I expected Will to get reversed on his take on Isabel Allende.
Yeah, I heard something like "Isabella La Yende." But there are some Spanish-affiliated languages (if not Spanish dialects) where the double L is more like the "lli" in "William" than a straight Y sound. For example, there was a teacher named Estrella from the Philippines in my elementary school, and to hear her name pronounced you might think it was closer to "Australia" than to the Spanish word for "star." So I think Will was saying something like "Alyende," but turning the awkward consonant cluster of "ly" into a syllable (like some do with "triathlon," for example).
I definitely heard A-la-yende so he added another syllable. They should have at least had him repeat it.
Yes, I said he made a syllable out of it. They don't neg people for "tri-ath-a-lon" (and have even accepted that spelling minus dashes in FJ).
It’s more than adding a syllable. It’s adding letters; there’s no “la” in Allende. If they ding a 10 year old for it, they should be consistent.

Let’s be real; the judging has been incredibly questionable of late. Maybe someone is out sick or retired but many people have commented in the past week or two.
I don't think you're reading my posts. There's no "tha" in "triathlon" either, but they accept it pronounced that way, with the extra syllable, because "thl" is a weird consonant cluster for some people's mouths. I'm saying "Alyende" would be acceptable, and therefore "Alayende" would, by virtue of "ly" being a difficult consonant cluster for some to say.

Post Reply