Monday, February 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Monday, February 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:05 am
Euphonium wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:59 pm Please let "Our Fair City" be about Car Talk.
Wonderful to find a fellow fan here. Damn, but I miss that program.
Same here. And even though the category wasn't about Car Talk, it seems likely the category name was a shout out to that show. After all, what is "our fair city"? Cambridge. And what was the very next category? OXFORD. Coincidence? Quite possibly, but I'm betting not.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

Euphonium wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:59 pm Please let "Our Fair City" be about Car Talk.

"Eugene" would be a valid response for "Fill'e'"

More "Eugene": My hairtrigger response for "Where's Papa going with that axe?" was "Careful with that axe, Eugene."

I'll be very glad if I never have to hear "God Bless America" at a seventh-inning stretch again. Patriotism is a sin against God; we need less of it in public, not more.

Moose bite can be very nasty, too.

Coryat: $42,000

J: 24R5P1W. Got DD. 5/5 on Oxford. 4/5 on Our Fair City (I said Rapid City instead of Milwaukee), Eugene, Roam, and Fill "E." 3/5 on Chicago...

DJ: 25R4P1W. Got both DDs. 5/5 on Numeric and Holidays. 4/5 on Human Body, Roman Army, and Directors. 3/5 on First Lines (Darkness at Noon instead of The Trial. The fact that it said "Josef K" put me to Stalin, but of course in Darkness at Noon the Stalin-allegorical figure is Number One (also "Josef K" doesn't work for Stalin's patronymic, birth surname, or revolutionary surname)).

FJ: Instaget

LT: David Foster, Nine Old Men
I came here looking for game comments not a soapbox lecture.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:24 am I commend Morgan on his sartorial excellence.
I heartily concur.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

I remembered the Charlotte's Web line from this game, and I see this is at least second time it has appeared as a second row clue. In this instance, the top two clues are former FJ's. Seems pretty sad, like John Quincy Adams moving from the presidency to the House, but I guess it's a way of staying in the game.

Speaking of animals, I'm surprised that they'd ever have used Cornish hens for sounding orders to soldiers. I'd think the rooster, with his "cock-a-doodle-do" was much more suitable.

Sorry to hear about Haile Selassie's violent end and embarrassed not to have known about it, but for something preordained (assuming he was in fact the Second Coming), his martyrdom took quite some time afterward to come to light.
I'm smart and I want respect.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Instaget FJ, that younger people will soon forget with the current Senate rules. :|
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

DBear wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:59 pm Instaget FJ, that younger people will soon forget with the current Senate rules. :|
The filibuster still exists, just not for judicial nominees.
Sprinkles are for winners.