Tuesday, February 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:32 pm
Category 13 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:10 pm
TPH wrote:Absolutely no recognition on the TV category.
Married with Children was the only show I recognized but I can never dredge up Katie Segal's name.
I was totally lost on all the other clues.

The movie clues I did better on. I got The Wizard of Oz, Citizen Kane and Rebel Without a Cause.
The New Adventures of Old Christine
Veep
The Americans
Felicity
Sons of Anarchy
Married...with Children
Splitting Up Together
The Office
Don't Trust the B----in Apartment 23
Jessica Jones

10/10 having a basic familiarity with the shows.
3/10 for having watched an episode of the shows (both Keri Russell shows and Katey Sagal playing Peg Bundy)
3/5 in the category - needed multiple choice for Fisher and blanked on Ritter while telling myself it's that actress from Breaking Bad

Category 13 is your recognition factor for the shows still 1/10 after seeing all the titles again?
Hammer 0/5 on the actresses is par for the course for that occupation.
I was 7/10 on the titles (didn't recognize Splitting Up Together, The Americans, or Jessica Jones),and I think I might've watched an episode of Married... with Children back in the day. It was the actors that I couldn't name.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Category 13 is your recognition factor for the shows still 1/10 after seeing all the titles again?
I confess to pulling a TPH.
I did recognize Veep and The Office, but never watched either. Used to watch Married semi regular. Always had the hots for Peg.
MDCSWildcats86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:59 pm
Excellent! This was a great "thinker." What clues did you pick up on that led you to the correct response?

For me, geography. Buffalo Bill I associate with Wyoming (when it's not Dabney Coleman, that is), and I knew the Pony Express went through the area.

That, and horses weren't meant to go all 2,000+ miles by themselves/their rider.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:50 pm That, and horses weren't meant to go all 2,000+ miles by themselves/their rider.
They changed about every 10 miles.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

DBear wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:06 pm Instaget FJ! for me. Transcon was a decent guess, but Iditarod? :o
Actually, Iditarod was my first answer before I crossed it out and wrote "Pony Express." I don't think it was a bad guess either, as the Iditarod also started pretty much as a relay race against time.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

What! Am I the only one who guessed the Apollo moon landing program for Buffalo Bill Cody?

It's easy to be flippant after going 0fer in the TV and cookie categories. I did know Julia Newman-Dreyfuss but couldn't get "Elaine" switched over fast enough. And I'm pissed that all of Katy Sagal's minor achievements are overblown and her magnum opus work as Lela on Futurama is overlooked.

I deduced "lice" from the school TOM but would have clammed as it seems like a pretty lame plague compared to the others. I kind of confuse them with Job's troubles also - now how about them boils?

Took me 3 clues to figure out Phil is not a man's name.

Don't talk about Bakersfield without a shoutout to the main architect Buck Owens. Give a listen to "Buckaroo" if you want to hear an alternate C&W universe that is much more appealing than the "tear in your beer" slop coming from Nashville.

Sorry for the long post. Just spending time away from the TV this evening because I've already had my orange colored bulls**t quota for 2019 and 2020.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

thenextofken wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:02 pm
DBear wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:06 pm Instaget FJ! for me. Transcon was a decent guess, but Iditarod? :o
Actually, Iditarod was my first answer before I crossed it out and wrote "Pony Express." I don't think it was a bad guess either, as the Iditarod also started pretty much as a relay race against time.
The category is The 19th Century. The Iditarod is not a good guess.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:11 pm
thenextofken wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:02 pm
The category is The 19th Century. The Iditarod is not a good guess.
I had the same initial thought, not referring to the actual race but it's historical origins. Per wiki: the trail reached its peak between the late 1880s and the mid-1920s as miners arrived to dig coal and later gold, especially after the Alaska gold rushes at Nome in 1898.

My thought was that the implication of "relay race against time" was something like a matter of life and death, as in if you didn't traverse the trail from Anchorage to Nome fast enough, you would die due to a lack of sufficient supplies, or exposure, etc. I certainly had no good reason to connect Buffalo Bill to Alaska, though he did live until 1917 so covers much of this period. I eventually dismissed Iditarod as a viable option but spent too much time on it and couldn't lock down Pony Express in time.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:31 pm
I had the same initial thought, not referring to the actual race but it's historical origins. Per wiki: the trail reached its peak between the late 1880s and the mid-1920s as miners arrived to dig coal and later gold, especially after the Alaska gold rushes at Nome in 1898.

My thought was that the implication of "relay race against time" was something like a matter of life and death, as in if you didn't traverse the trail from Anchorage to Nome fast enough, you would die due to a lack of sufficient supplies, or exposure, etc. I certainly had no good reason to connect Buffalo Bill to Alaska, though he did live until 1917 so covers much of this period. I eventually dismissed Iditarod as a viable option but spent too much time on it and couldn't lock down Pony Express in time.
This link gives a quick and awesome telling of the "serum" run in 1925 that inspired the modern race established in 1973. I think I first read about it in "My Weekly Reader" in grade school. What amazingly brave men (and their dogs) at the turn of the century! It reminds me of the bravery of the men who made a human bridge and died trying to save women at the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire. But that's more goosebumps...
(ETA - the human bridge story seems to be journalist license and likely gender stereotyping. Gotta stop suspending disbelief - it would take 4 Jack LaLanes to pull that off. Now that dude and Bob Ross - Dilly Dilly!).

https://www.history.com/news/the-sled-d ... e-iditarod
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:26 pm Since I didn't know the country music capital of California (and I did know that Bakersfield is NOT known for ANYTHING... I mean not being known for anything is basically what it's know for) I would have whiffed on that clue.
West Coast country music = Bakersfield is a good Pavlov to know. Merle Haggard was born there (in Oildale, technically, but that's the unincorporated portion of Bakersfield just north of downtown), and Buck Owens lived most of his life there. The two of them more of less defined what came to be known as the "Bakersfield sound," and because of them Bakersfield came to be known as "Nashville West." The Bakersfield sound was kept alive in later years by Dwight Yoakam, whose first #1 hit, "Streets of Bakersfield," was a duet with Buck.
Sprinkles are for winners.
davey

Post by davey »

Since it was a triple stumper I'm surprised nobody guessed the Wild West Show...Isn't it all most people know about Buffalo Bill?
I thought the quote was making a metaphorical reference - reaching back to a way of life that was already dying, then forward again, or something like that... :oops: ...Fortunately I realized how unlikely that was and suddenly got the right response. But I wouldn't have remembered independently that Cody had anything to do with the Pony Express...I assume that's the difficulty that led to the triple stumper...
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:26 pm Who else shouted out "Who is BALZAC?" in the affronted tones of a River City matron?
Excuse me for living, but I've never read it. Or any of them other hifalutin' Greeks.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:46 pm Not sure how this was a TS. Guy famous for being a horseman talks about a relay - maybe involving horses?

Will lucks out and lives to play another day. (But for the horse connection, the transcontinental railroad wasn’t a horrible guess).
I was also surprised to see this stump the band. "Relay Race" immediately conjured up Pony Express for me.

Another fine, solid win for Will. He's certainly making excellent use of the "mulligan" he got from the judges in his first game, the ruling that enabled him to go from "Thanks for playing" to J! Players Hall of Fame, possibly to more....

I had two solid precalls in this game: Dudamel in the L.A. Philharmonic category (which it turned out was not one they asked for) and "bucolic" in the B-C category (which did). I don't precall many clues, so 50-50 is probably as good as I can expect.

LT: Nemo, Evangeline, hail.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Category 13 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:10 pm
TPH wrote:Absolutely no recognition on the TV category.
Married with Children was the only show I recognized but I can never dredge up Katie Segal's name.
I was totally lost on all the other clues.
Exactly my experience with this category: recognized Married With Children (LOVED that show!), can't remember most of the actors' names. Poop. And utterly no recognition on the other four.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I got all the LT in the first round. I think that must be a first for me.

In the "Express Yourself" category, I forget the clue value and the exact wording, but the response they accepted was "verbalize". My response was "pronounce". I'm giving myself credit for that.

FJ! was pretty much an instaget, but I did hesitate before convincing myself that Cody had, indeed, been one of their riders.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Foretopman wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:22 am I forget the clue value and the exact wording
I'd accept "pronounce".

(For future reference: If the game recap is sitting at the top of the thread, it means the game is in J! Archive.)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:49 am
Foretopman wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:22 am I forget the clue value and the exact wording
I'd accept "pronounce".

(For future reference: If the game recap is sitting at the top of the thread, it means the game is in J! Archive.)
Thanks for the support, and thanks for the hint about the archive. I guess I didn't know that the game recap and the archive were that closely connected.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

davey wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:35 pm Since it was a triple stumper I'm surprised nobody guessed the Wild West Show...Isn't it all most people know about Buffalo Bill?
That was my fourth podium response.

As mentioned above, to me "relay race against time" means there are dire consequences at stake. It was a perfectly gettable clue but I was too focused on Buffalo Bill and took "against time" too literally. Figured he had a traveling show and it was difficult getting the caravan to the new towns by the advertised dates.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Only missing TV Who Played 'Em $400, $800, and $1000, and Pern.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Point Nemo, Evangeline, Lice, Hail, Juliette Gordon Low, Kindred
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I think this was a pretty good FJ. Required some thought, but definitely gettable. Pony Express came to me after a few seconds, but I was never 100% confident. When Will's Transcontinental Railroad guess was revealed I thought I could possibly have been wrong.