Wednesday, February 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:42 pm Seems kind of a BS question. Looking at some other countries (from the list at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... me_borders) makes it seem quite arbirary. Cuba, for example, is said to have maritime borders with Mexico and Honduras, but not with Belize or Guatemala, which are in-between the two it has them with. What?
EEZ borders: http://atlas-caraibe.certic.unicaen.fr/en/image-250.jpg
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:48 pm Poll request on the 'Checkers Speech'. I got it, but I thought the clue was confusingly worded.
I had no problem with the clue but agree that it is a shaky clue at best. I've only heard of it as the "Checkers" speech, but why? It could have other labels. I think it will poll high and the contestant just couldn't pull the dog's name.

All the geographers here have no problem with the FJ, but I require my GPS to get home from work and have no internal map. It sounds like this is kind of a dodgy clue as well, depending on the interpretation of "maritime" borders, etc..

Will got taken down by a good player. Congrats Bif.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 47,600
54 R/0 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: mock apple pie, Checkers Speech (DD), Woonsocket, Peter

I went with Denmark even though I know they share a land border. Not sure I would have come up with Sweden anyway. Good solve by Bif to win a barn burner of a game.

NHO cassock or diamond pipes.

If someone mentions apple brown Betty and you don't have a Pavlovian response of "bam-ba-lam," I don't think we can be friends.
Sprinkles are for winners.
davey

Post by davey »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:06 am
Category 13 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:48 pm Poll request on the 'Checkers Speech'. I got it, but I thought the clue was confusingly worded.
I had no problem with the clue but agree that it is a shaky clue at best. I've only heard of it as the "Checkers" speech, but why? It could have other labels. I think it will poll high and the contestant just couldn't pull the dog's name.
Wikipedia says it's also known as the "Fund speech," though I've never heard that. Bryan should have tried the "dog speech" since he didn't know the name... I suppose that's too generic. (But so is "Fund.") It'd be hard to turn down the "[Republican] cloth coat" speech. Or the "We're going to keep it" speech.

My inner map is poor so I'm glad to see Finland was a respectable guess...
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Knew it was one of the Scandinavian countries but had Norway and Sweden flipped on my mental map - not the first time I've made this mistake.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:37 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:46 pm What was the TOM for NYC in Bookstores for $400?
The mention of its location on Broadway.
That's what got me there. The name of the store--Strand Books--misled Mrs P into a neg with London.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

All the geographers here have no problem with the FJ, but I require my GPS to get home from work and have no internal map. It sounds like this is kind of a dodgy clue as well, depending on the interpretation of "maritime" borders, etc..

hell...i even got that one and i know next to nothing about american political bs
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I got FJ, but had to reread the clue a couple times. At first I was thinking of Denmark, but the "only" in there eliminates it from consideration. Went to Sweden after that with a reasonable degree of confidence. Knew it couldn't really be Norway and Finland seemed to far east in my mental map.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I didn't find this FJ all that troubling. As someone said above, Sweden and Denmark are so close you could swim across (well, almost), and Denmark's only land border is Germany, so....My only problem was my aging brain wasn't 100% sure whether Sweden or Norway was farther west. Really?! OK, I figured it out and got this one. I'm now over 70% on FJs this season, which I feel pretty good about.

Will's nice run comes to a screeching halt with a pretty bad FJ answer and a horrendous FJ wager. He'll be crying all the way to the bank with his very nice $70K. Good job, Will.

Idle comment: the more I try to figure out what it is that Contestant Coordinators are looking for, the more I come back to a working theory that it really helps your candidacy to have a really unusual name.

Idle comment #2: I know there are many things we only read about and don't hear about, so we don't know how to pronounce them. This was my situation the first time I read the name Monaco as a teenager and called it "Mo-NAH-co." Still it tickled me to hear the answer about the "Meh-DEE-cheese."

Thought I would run the category in Women of the Bible, but couldn't pull the trigger on the $2K clue, which was really about Peter and some obscure female character.

Only LT of the day on Woonsocket.

And ahh, yes, remember many times reading about Nixon saving his career from early trouble with the famous Checkers speech. God knows what sticks in my brain pan all these decades. (and no, I've never heard it called by any other name)
Last edited by John Boy on Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:44 am If someone mentions apple brown Betty and you don't have a Pavlovian response of "bam-ba-lam," I don't think we can be friends.
Yeah, but the song was "Black Betty." Let get our Bettys (Betties?) straight here. :D
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

John Boy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:06 am Will's nice run comes to a screeching halt with a pretty bad FJ answer and a horrendous FJ wager.
With, but not because of. (I'm not suggesting that you implied that his response and wager cost him the game, but that meaning could be inferred.)
John Boy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:06 am Only LT of the day on Woonsocket.
Wildly enough, my dad precalled it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

John Boy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:06 am I didn't find this FJ all that troubling. As someone said above, Sweden and Denmark are so close you could swim across (well, almost), and Denmark's only land border is Germany, so....My only problem was my aging brain wasn't 100% sure whether Sweden or Norway was farther west. Really?! OK, I figured it out and got this one. I'm now over 70% on FJs this season, which I feel pretty good about.
From a purely geographic standpoint, it's not difficult, no. Just name the closest country to Germany that doesn't have a land border with it. Sure, if your mental map of Europe is off, you're in trouble, but sometimes you have to know the answer.

My issue is really with the term 'border.' Calling an EEZ boundary a "border" seems to be really stretching it; where Germany and the UK 'border' in the North Sea, for example, is well within international waters.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

John Boy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:06 am
Idle comment #2: I know there are many things we only read about and don't hear about, so we don't know how to pronounce them. This was my situation the first time I read the name Monaco as a teenager and called it "Mo-NAH-co." Still it tickled me to hear the answer about the "Meh-DEE-cheese."
It seems to me I've heard that pronunciation more - maybe even only? - in recent years. The BBC does not approve...

A weekly guide to words and names in the news from Martha Figueroa-Clarke of the BBC Pronunciation Unit.
"This week, I've chosen the Italian surname Medici, as it is often the subject of pronunciation-related audience complaints. The Italian pronunciation is MED-itch-i, with stress on the first syllable. As with all our pronunciation advice, this is an anglicised pronunciation which does not reflect the exact vowel length in Italian. Another anglicised pronunciation, med-EE-tchi, is also often heard in English but, while it does appear as a possible variant in English pronouncing dictionaries, it does not closely reflect the native Italian pronunciation and is considered less correct. We therefore recommend the former pronunciation, with stress on the first syllable: MED-itch-i. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/magazinemoni ... ci_1.shtml
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

I found the Nixon clue confusing. I know the dog's name and that speech well (and can pull the "Republican cloth coat" with slightly more difficulty) but the reference here was murky enough that I was thinking about whether they meant a State of the Union speech or something along those lines. Then my husband pointed out the date (which I overlooked) was before he became president, ergo Checkers speech. It didn't trigger for me immediately because I don't think of it as a named speech, i.e. "this speech".

Like you, I have no mental map (can get lost somewhere I've been a hundred times). I remembered taking a ferry from Sweden to Poland over the Baltic, so I first guessed Poland, and hopefully would have figured out that it was much more likely to border Germany than Sweden was (didn't get there bc I was thinking out loud to my husband, who'd already gotten the answer, and when I said Poland he said it borders Germany, so I said "then Sweden?"
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Only missing the Bottom Two in Name the Composer(Shocker!), Powell's, and Woonsocket.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Mock Apple Pie, Diamonds, (Checkers), Peter
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

John Boy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:06 am I didn't find this FJ all that troubling. As someone said above, Sweden and Denmark are so close you could swim across (well, almost)
England and France are so close you can swim across, too! Well, for some people...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:29 pm
John Boy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:06 am I didn't find this FJ all that troubling. As someone said above, Sweden and Denmark are so close you could swim across (well, almost)
England and France are so close you can swim across, too! Well, for some people...
Ever done that, Kirk?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:30 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:29 pm
Ever done that, Kirk?
I'll be sure to post here when I make my attempt.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:18 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:44 am If someone mentions apple brown Betty and you don't have a Pavlovian response of "bam-ba-lam," I don't think we can be friends.
Yeah, but the song was "Black Betty." Let get our Bettys (Betties?) straight here. :D
Yeah, but if you make an apple black Betty, you left it in the oven too long.
Sprinkles are for winners.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:48 pm

Poll request on the 'Checkers Speech'. I got it, but I thought the clue was confusingly worded.
No problems here. Of course I went to school when they actually taught American History... :P