Thursday, February 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, February 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7924, 2019-02-07

CONTESTANTS
Alan Florendo, a software developer from St. Louis, Missouri
Amanda Basta, an attorney from Arlington, Virginia
Bif Reiser, a mathematician from Portland, Oregon (whose 1-day cash winnings total $28,001)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome aboard. Bif had an impressive debut on our program yesterday. He was the only player to come up with the correct response in Final Jeopardy!, knocked off the defending champion, and won a lot of money as a result. Amanda and Alan, it could happen to you too, you know. Let's see if it does. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. You know there's one Daily Double in this round. And here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MUSEUM MISCELLANY (5/5)
EASY LISTENING (4/5)
"P"LACES AT THE MALL (5/5)
COUNTRY FACTS (4/5)
MARCH ON! (3/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WORD RHYMES (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response in that category will rhyme with the word "word".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Bif: 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Alan: 11 R, 2 W
Amanda: 3 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Alan: $4,200
Bif: $3,400
Amanda: -$1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Alan Florendo is from St. Louis, Missouri. With a name like "Florendo"...Italian?

Alan: Filipino, actually.

Alex: Filipino.

Alan: Yes.

Alex: And yet you were a singing waiter. I made the assumption you must have been Italian.

Alan: It's a good assumption, perhaps. The name is similar.

Alex: What kind of singing waiter were you?

Alan: It was a lot of musical theater.

Alex: Ah.

Alan: And opera. No actual singing of the menu or anything. We looked down on that kind of singing waiter. Too much in our craft for that.

Alex: Well, all right then.

Alex: Amanda Basta from Arlington, Virginia. An attorney who did some pro bono work feeding the homeless during a hurricane. Where did this take place?

Amanda: My church has a feeding program every Friday morning for the homeless, and in 2011 when Hurricane Irene came through D.C., the county shelter--the bathrooms were under construction, so there was nowhere for people to go. And so we opened up our doors. We cooked up big pots of spaghetti and lots of popcorn and watched movies, and it actually was a really good time, and we got to keep a lot of people safe.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Bif Reiser is from Portland, Oregon. He's a mathematician who is interest and is competitive in Frisbee?

Bif: Yes.

Alex: But not just ordinary Frisbee.

Bif: No. Ultimate Frisbee, Alex.

Alex: What's the difference?

Bif: So ultimate Frisbee is a team-based game. The goal is to score a goal by catching the disc in the end zone. It's kind of like if you took basketball, soccer, football, and a couple other sports and put them in a blender and played it with a disc.

Alex: Have you won anything?

Bif: Couple tournaments.

Alex: A couple of tournaments.

Bif: Yeah.

Alex: Well, you won a game here yesterday. You're doing well competitively.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Bif found the Daily Double on the 27th clue. Bif had $4,000, Amanda had $800, and Alan was at $5,800. Bif wagered $2,000.

MARCH ON! $600: In the 1930s the endeavor known as this took about a year to complete & took its participants from Jiangxi to Shaanxi

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COUNTRY FACTS $1000: In 2017 this country's prime minister Haider al-Abadi declared victory over the Islamic State
(Amanda: What is Syria?)

WORD RHYMES $600: Just seeing the mountain variety of this creature brings me happiness

EASY LISTENING $1000: This Arizona-born country singer had a No. 1 hit with "Free And Easy (Down The Road I Go)"

MARCH ON! $1000: A 1930 march against a salt tax made its way to this sea on India's west coast, where marchers scooped up salt

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Bif: $6,800
Alan: $5,800
Amanda: $800
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, February 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE GRAND TOUR (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
EPIC POETRY (5/5)
OPPOSITES (5/5)
I.M. (5/5)
A MAN OF CONSTANT (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SORROW (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Bif: 20 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 0 W
Alan: 6 R, 2 W
Amanda: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Bif snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Bif had $8,800, Amanda had $800, and Alan was at $6,200. Bif wagered $3,000.

THE GRAND TOUR $1200: Canaletto made pretty good money selling landscapes of this city of his birth as souvenirs for grand tourists

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Bif who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 7th clue. Bif had $13,000, Amanda had $800, and Alan was at $6,200. Bif wagered $3,000.

A MAN OF CONSTANT $1600: Max Planck's constant is the ratio of the energy of this smallest unit of radiation to its frequency--what a leap!

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE GRAND TOUR $1600: The 18th century excavations at these 2 ancient sites made Naples a must-stop

SORROW $2000: It's Spanish for "sorrows", so the name of Mexican actress Del Rio means "sorrows of the river"
(Alan: What is Soledad?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Bif: $32,800 (lock game)
Alan: $9,000
Amanda: $3,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRESIDENTS & THE MOVIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Bif: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $14,799 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Alan: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,599 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Amanda: You've no hope of catching up... unless Alan does something stupid. So risk $3,199.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
3 presidential films, all directed by Oliver Stone, have a total of only 9 letters in their titles--"Nixon" & these 2

FINAL SCORES
Amanda: $3,200 + $3,199 = $6,399 (What is are W + JFK? Hi Ellie Liv Anna + Lu) (3rd place: $1,000)
Alan: $9,000 - $1,000 = $8,000 (What are JFK + LBJ?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Bif: $32,800 - $0 = $32,800 (What are 2 films I have) (2-day champion: $60,801)
(Alex: [To Amanda] And Lu?)
(Amanda: Luke.)
(Alex: [To Bif] He was gonna write, "I haven't seen." Have never been in my kitchen or living room.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Bif: $28,200, 31 R (including 3 DDs), 1 W
Alan: $9,000, 17 R, 4 W
Amanda: $3,200, 5 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $40,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Bif: 31/61 = .508
Alan: 17/58 = .293
Amanda: 6/58 = .103
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MUSEUM MISCELLANY $800: The world's first museum of narrative art is coming to Los Angeles; this founder was at the 2018 groundbreaking ceremony

MUSEUM MISCELLANY $200: In an effort to save money, the Kentucky Coal Museum recently switched to this source of renewable energy
(Bif: What is hydroelectric?)
(Alan: What is wind?)

EASY LISTENING $600: This Five for Fighting song that says, "I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane" is subtitled "It's Not Easy"
(Alan: What is "To Be Me"?)

MARCH ON! $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a march route on the monitor.) The official route of a 1963 march started at the Washington Monument & moved down either Constitution or Independence Avenue to see this Baptist minister speak
(Alex: With less than a minute to go now.)

MARCH ON! $800: "Tell Your Mother I'll Vote Dry" was a hymn you might have heard during a march for this teetotaling "T" movement
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

I.M. $1200: He's done Shakespeare & supervillains & was knighted in 1991

I.M. $2000: This fashion designer has expanded his repertoire to include performing in his own cabaret show

A MAN OF CONSTANT $2000: Per Viswanath's constant, if you randomize this number sequence named for a 13th c. Italian, it'll still follow a pattern
(Alan: Who is Bernoulli?)

SORROW $1200: Augustus Saint-Gaudens' memorial to Clover Adams is also known as this 5-letter synonym for sorrow

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Long March
Iraq
a bluebird
Dierks Bentley
the Arabian Sea
Venice
a quantum
Pompeii and Herculaneum
Dolores
W and JFK
George Lucas
solar
"Superman"
Martin Luther King Jr.
temperance
Ian McKellen
Isaac Mizrahi
Fibonacci
Grief
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRESIDENTS & THE MOVIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
3 Presidential films, all directed by Oliver Stone, have a total of only 9 letters in their titles–“Nixon” & these 2

Bif Reiser: 32800-0=32800 (2x = $60,801)
Amanda Basta: 3200+3199=6399
Alan Florendo: 9000-1000=8000

Correct response:
Spoiler
JFK & W. (Bif – What are 2 films I have’) (Amanda – What is are W & JFK Hi Ellie Liv Anna & Luke) (Alan – JFK & LBJ)

Daily Doubles
Bif: 4000+2000
Bif: 8800+3000
Bif: 13000+3000

Coryats
Bif: 28200
Amanda: 3200
Alan: 9000

Combined: 40,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Bif: 6800
Amanda: 800
Alan: 5800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Strange J! round with 16 clues played in the first segment and then time ran out before the 14th clue of the second segment could play. Bif still has times when he can't spit out a clue selection and that wastes time.

Bif found and converted all three DDs so he should and did have a runaway. It was as if Bif told his opponents, "Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?"

The FJ! category looked promising and I knew it would not be Reagan/South Bend this time.

The wording of the FJ! clue is the kind that can mess with solvers' heads and I needed a second reading to comprehend the needed math.
Nixon = 5. 9-5=4. The three letter movie was easy to get since I've seen it more than once. 4-3 = 1. One-letter Stone movie? Okay, I can handle that as well even though I have never bothered to see that one. Done.

It's too bad Amanda got nothing for her sole solve other than the chance to include some names. It almost feels like she should have got the $2000 for second for winning that round.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Pol Pot = Cambodia? Can't say I've heard of either one.

"Deferred" was also unfamiliar to me.

The one from a musical was my only miss in "Easy Listening".

NHO Peloton or Paper Source, so only 3/5 in what should've been a wheelhouse.

The Alps are in Italy too? I thought they were only in Switzerland.

What was the TOM for Rome on Poetry for $400?

I had no idea that "Dolores" was a Spanish word.

Clever FJ! but I am 0/3 on recognizing the names of any of the three films.

Lach Trash: Dierks Bentley
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Bif is pretty good.

Misread the clue in Final and thought the response was looking for two letters, not two films. Knew W was a Stone film, but I added H based on my interpretation. Oops. :oops:

LT for Dierks Bentley as well.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

"What's the difference?" "Instead of just being normal, it's ultimate."

The Kentucky Coal Museum clue was legitimately just anyone's guess. I got lucky and hit the right one first, the contestants didn't.

There's a statute (I assume of Jackson Browne) on a corner in downtown Winslow, AZ commemorating that song. If it hadn't been 4 AM when I drove through it (I really love watching sunrises while I drive) while moving cross-country this summer, I might have stopped and had my picture taken.

The writers avoided the "Devil" bait that would have made Prada a $200 clue.

Raise your hand if you expected "Pay" or a similar pun on I.M. Pei instead of "A Man of Constant."

I think the "What a leap!" tag made that clue overvalued at $1600.

Ian McKellen's best role was as Maggie Smith on SNL's Weekend Update several years ago.

Ruling on Cio-Cio San for Madame Butterfly? Ordinarily it wouldn't be an issue, but I'm not sure that the wording of the clue means you have to give the name as it appears in the title, or that you just have to name the same character as the one who appears in the title.

Raise your hand if you think of the Seinfeld episoed "The Junior Mint" whenever you hear the name Dolores.

Raise your hand if you think of Donald Sutherland's character in Animal House whenever you think of Paradise Lost.

Coryat: $39,800/$43,000

J: 24R5P. Got DD. 5/5 on Museum Miscellany and Country Facts. 4/4 on March On! 4/5 on Word Rhymes. 3/5 on Easy Listening and Mall.

DJ: 25R5P/24R4P1W. 1/2 on DDs (never heard of Canaletto, got Italy from his name but couldn't narrow it down to a city, finally said Milan just to have something). 5/5 on Epic Poetry, Opposites, and A Man of Constant. 4/5 on Grand Tour. 3 or 4 (or 25 or 26)/5 on Sorrow. 2/5 on I.M.

FJ: Instaget

LT: Arabian Sea, Pompeii & Herculaneum, Dolores
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Wow, a movie FJ I actually like? :o Yeah, pretty easy to suss out with JFK being the low-hanging fruit; once you had that, W followed. :)
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:30 am

Bif found and converted all three DDs so he should and did have a runaway. It was as if Bif told his opponents, "Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?"
Half of the people in this board are wondering what you're talking about, and the other half (me included) are thinking, "What is Back to the Future?" :D

Tidbit: I was an extra in "JFK" and Oliver Stone even asked me if I was enjoying it. Ironically, I have still never seen the movie.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Got the quantum clue without needing the "What a leap" TOM. Got Finnish off Kalevala without needing the sauna TOM. Got Venice off Canaletto because canal. Got FJ with two seconds to spare but only one extra letter to write (having mentally written "JFK and" already) so I'm counting it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It's impossible to hear Dolores and not think of Seinfeld ...

A bit awkward on the FJ wording, but I got there pretty quickly.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Only missing Superman, Dierks Bentley, and Paper Sourse.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Iraq, Bluebird, Arabian Sea, Pompeii & Herculaneum, Dolores
Douglas Squasoni
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

DBear wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:47 pm Yeah, pretty easy to suss out with JFK being the low-hanging fruit; once you had that, W followed. :)
To channel TPH, sure I got JFK, but then how was I supposed to guess which of a jillion letters he made a movie out of? I missed my 4% lottery guess with "V" (one letter too soon!). Seems like there was a TV show or something by that name, but I think it was about aliens.

The show was pre-empted here, so I only saw the clue here. Sounds like Bif took names and kicked ass.
alietr wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:39 pm It's impossible to hear Dolores and not think of Seinfeld ...
No, whenever I hear Dolores, I just think of "Mulva".
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Well I am 0.5/4 this week so far.

I feel foolish for missing the FJ. Came up with "W" but thought to myself "nine letters total? So a President that only has three letters in his name is left?". JFK obviously. Argh.

Yeah I'm liking Bif. Good luck to him tomorrow.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 42,000
48 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: bluebird, Pompeii & Herculaneum, Dolores

I had mostly forgotten about W and wasn't aware it was an Oliver Stone film, but "single-letter presidential movie" made it pretty easy.

Bif is a force to be reckoned with.

I listened to the episode of the Stuff You Should Know podcast about saunas just this afternoon, and they mentioned the bit about the Kalevala.
Euphonium wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:16 pm There's a statute (I assume of Jackson Browne) on a corner in downtown Winslow, AZ commemorating that song. If it hadn't been 4 AM when I drove through it (I really love watching sunrises while I drive) while moving cross-country this summer, I might have stopped and had my picture taken.
There are two statues. The first, installed in 1999, is of the song's protagonist, a man standing on the corner with a guitar by his side. The second, installed in 2017, is of Glenn Frey, who co-wrote (with Browne) and sang lead on the Eagles' recording of the song.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got JFK right away, and got confused about the number of letters like Alan did. It didn't help that my dad and brother were discussing things aloud, and I realized W. just after the music ended. For this one I will claim my prerogative of counting an FJ that I believe I would have gotten without familial distractions.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I also got totally confused by the wording of the clue, thinking they were looking for movies limited to a set of nine different letters, but not a total of nine letters. In any case, I got JFK but wouldn’t have remembered W, I think.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:37 am I got JFK right away, and got confused about the number of letters like Alan did. It didn't help that my dad and brother were discussing things aloud, and I realized W. just after the music ended. For this one I will claim my prerogative of counting an FJ that I believe I would have gotten without familial distractions.
So you got FJ, K?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

At this point I have to concede that Bif has more going for him to get him on the show than just the unusual name. This was a very strong, dominating performance for a well-deserved runaway second win. Should be really interesting to see how far he takes this.

Amanda? Boy, did she have a rocky start, and never got untracked.

LT: Herculaneum/Pompeii, Dolores, and blue bird (of happiness).

Bif (the mathematician) must have been salivating at the $2K math clue, then (DANG!) when Alan rang in first, then salivating again when Alan negged and he was able to jump all over Fibonacci like a wolf on a lamb chop.

I was instantly all over "JFK," but hesitated on the second movie. What? only 26 possible correct answers? Fortunately "W" came to me in plenty of time, even though I'm not really familiar with the movie.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I had JFK before Alex finished reading the clue, then I had to take several seconds to do the math. OK, so now I need a one-letter presidential movie. I then decided that, while it is entirely possible that someone has made a movie about John Quincy Adams called "Q", that someone was very unlikely to be Oliver Stone. Leaving me with "W" even though I don't really know the movie. Now that I've had time to think about it, is that the one with Josh Brolin?