Monday, February 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Monday, February 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Count me as another who didn't realize Grey's Anatomy was still chugging along. But I couldn't come up with anything better, so that's what I went with. I'll take it.
heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by heppm01 »

I also thought Grey's Anatomy finished a few years ago and guessed The Bachelor even though I wasn't sure it has had a 15 year run. In retrospect, it's not a drama either.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

OK, I'll ask the stupid question no one else here seems to be asking. What led to getting this FJ right?

I for one couldn't tell you what show is on what network, almost 100% of the time. I've seen Grey's Anatomy a few times years ago and am vaguely aware it is still on, but have no clue how many years it's been on.

Are we supposed to get this by knowing what show is on what network, or for how many years? Are we supposed to know GA just re-signed a new contract? I know that "Complications" is a medical term but also refers to any number of other things (this relationship is filled with complications). Are supposed to know that name was once considered for this show?

Seriously, how did everyone on the show and (seemingly) everyone on the board know this, for cryin' out loud?

And yeah, Eric's performance was stellar, and yeah, that odd, awkward posture of his had me wondering what's up with that?

At least I picked up LT on "Death in Venice."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

John Boy wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:59 am OK, I'll ask the stupid question no one else here seems to be asking. What led to getting this FJ right?

I for one couldn't tell you what show is on what network, almost 100% of the time. I've seen Grey's Anatomy a few times years ago and am vaguely aware it is still on, but have no clue how many years it's been on.

Are we supposed to get this by knowing what show is on what network, or for how many years? Are we supposed to know GA just re-signed a new contract? I know that "Complications" is a medical term but also refers to any number of other things (this relationship is filled with complications). Are supposed to know that name was once considered for this show?

Seriously, how did everyone on the show and (seemingly) everyone on the board know this, for cryin' out loud?

And yeah, Eric's performance was stellar, and yeah, that odd, awkward posture of his had me wondering what's up with that?

At least I picked up LT on "Death in Venice."
On this board I think I counted six misses so far for the FJ! clue. That will put it below 70% in the weekly poll. Yes, it's no fun to miss a FJ! clue when all three contestants get it right.

For solving the clue you have hit upon the different tracks that work. Or don't work. An ABC drama that has been on the air for 15 years is only going to be one thing. If you take "Complications" and get to the medical field then that should only bring one title to mind. 2018 lets you know it's a current show, so even if you don't know networks no one should guess ER.

When playing the clue it's possible to overlook a piece of information such as "drama" and that could lead someone to guess perhaps Modern Family.

Knowing that the name "Complications" was considered as a title for the show is not something the writers would expect anyone to know. It's the way to get a hint towards a medical show.

Some solvers seemed to not realize the show was still on the air yet still guessed it since there was nothing better to guess. We would need to hear from each contestant how they solved it and I would suspect it would not be three instagets as Eric seemed to take a little longer to figure it out.

Years that TV shows have run (are running) and their networks is the kind of thing that TV fans do know. For others that is way down the food chain for importance.

Don't sweat the clue and missing it.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I have never seen more than 5 minutes of Grey’s Anatomy and was not even sure it was still on the air, but ask me what recent ABC drama could have been on for 15 years and it would be the only one I could think of. Then Complications confirmed it.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

My biggest "had no clue" of the game was in regards to web archives; did not know "wayback machine" related to that and was unfamiliar with the nomenclature for SUV seat rows.

If they had asked about Mr. Peabody and Sherman with a 1960s station wagon, however, would have had it in a heartbeat.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey

Post by davey »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:17 pm My biggest "had no clue" of the game was in regards to web archives; did not know "wayback machine" related to that and was unfamiliar with the nomenclature for SUV seat rows.

If they had asked about Mr. Peabody and Sherman with a 1960s station wagon, however, would have had it in a heartbeat.
I didn't know it had anything to do with seats, but The Wayback Machine is a thing-
https://archive.org/web/web.php

Never watched more than 5 minutes of Gray's (yes, I misspelled it and not too concerned...) but I see it in the listings and I know it's been on a long time...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

John Boy wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:59 am OK, I'll ask the stupid question no one else here seems to be asking. What led to getting this FJ right?
As much as I hate this expression, it shows the cultural poverty I live in: "even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then". I literally could not think of the name of a "drama" since the Dallas and Dynasty soap opera days except this one. E.R. and L.A. Law are all I have to this moment as alternatives. I excluded all the CSI and Housewives shows from the checklist because of the multiple sequel. Fake reality shows and sitcoms don't count, so I had one name left, with no clue about the network or current status.
John Boy wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:59 am I for one couldn't tell you what show is on what network, almost 100% of the time.
Ditto, but worse. I don't know the channel number for each network, (except for PBS), over the air or on the dish. Superbowl on CBS? (or whatever) - yeah, click back and forth hoping to catch between commercials until the talking heads appear. Or give up and look at the guide.
John Boy wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:59 am Seriously, how did everyone on the show and (seemingly) everyone on the board know this, for cryin' out loud?
I fully expect contestants to brush up on flavor of the month shows on netflix, HBO, Showtime, etc.. How many damn zombie and vampire shows are there :roll: . And surely they would try to know the basics of a primetime schedule. Sure, they should spend 5 minutes thinking about betting strategy instead...

I love this clue because it is friendly to the shut-ins at the Shady Slopes Nursing Home, assuming, of course that this show airs before 7 PM bedtime :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Leander wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:22 am I have never seen more than 5 minutes of Grey’s Anatomy and was not even sure it was still on the air, but ask me what recent ABC drama could have been on for 15 years and it would be the only one I could think of. Then Complications confirmed it.
That (except I still see commercials for it so I know it's still around).
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I happened across this article on the new champ:

https://news.rutgers.edu/rutgers-alumnu ... GMpO7lYYpd

I'm sure some of us will appreciate this: "It became a matter of buzzing in at the right time," he says. "Then it’s all about betting correctly when you get a Daily Double to put yourself ahead of everybody else."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:05 pm
John Boy wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:59 am Seriously, how did everyone on the show and (seemingly) everyone on the board know this, for cryin' out loud?
I fully expect contestants to brush up on flavor of the month shows on netflix, HBO, Showtime, etc.. How many damn zombie and vampire shows are there :roll: . And surely they would try to know the basics of a primetime schedule. Sure, they should spend 5 minutes thinking about betting strategy instead...

I love this clue because it is friendly to the shut-ins at the Shady Slopes Nursing Home, assuming, of course that this show airs before 7 PM bedtime :).
See, my problem is I'd probably just brush up on prestige shows.
This... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... mmy_Awards ...is not a prestige show. :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

John Boy wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:59 am I for one couldn't tell you what show is on what network, almost 100% of the time.
It's always so interesting how everyone's brains work, especially Jeopardy fans. My knowledge about media includes far more "meta data" (release/air years, network, stars) than plots. I can cross reference this kind of information, so "drama", "ABC" and "long-running" only pointed to one thing. But other than knowing it's a medical drama with a lot of interpersonal relationships, I couldn't tell you anything about it.

Whether this will hurt or help me should I ever get the call is still up in the air.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:05 pm
As much as I hate this expression, it shows the cultural poverty I live in: "even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then". I literally could not think of the name of a "drama" since the Dallas and Dynasty soap opera days except this one. E.R. and L.A. Law are all I have to this moment as alternatives. I excluded all the CSI and Housewives shows from the checklist because of the multiple sequel. Fake reality shows and sitcoms don't count, so I had one name left, with no clue about the network or current status.
Ditto, but worse. I don't know the channel number for each network, (except for PBS), over the air or on the dish. Superbowl on CBS? (or whatever) - yeah, click back and forth hoping to catch between commercials until the talking heads appear. Or give up and look at the guide.

geriatric facilities don't have dvrs?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Archivists wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:10 am TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A CLASSIC SETTING $800: Gustav von Aschenbach leaves Munich for Italy in this Thomas Mann novella whose title is a spoiler
Again??? unglaublich!