Wednesday, February 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

I thought Edward Lear first; I figured if his oeuvre could contain a Moppsikon Floppsikon Bear it could have "jellylorum" somewhere as well. Then I wondered if it could be Old Possum and agonized for the rest of the music, ultimately sticking with Lear. Remember, folks: your first instinct is usually right, except when it isn't.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

Lefty wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:32 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:03 pm

Susie could have solved the FJ! clue and 14600 would have bested Eric’s 14300. If Eric had bet to cover Seth by a buck then Eric would have fallen to 14599. Nice wager by Susie and she deserves the $2000 for second place.

I don't begrudge her second prize, but I'm certainly not a fan of her bet. Had Seth made the likely bet of $201 or so, she beats him with a get, which she needs anyway to have any chance to win.

I guess there's nothing to prevent those animals from being dogs, but I couldn't think of any dog poets, so Eliot it had to be. They do sound a bit more catlike, though, especially Pettipaws. I wonder if Jellylorum was named for Jelly Roll Morton?

Edit-- Oh, "Wiscus". Forget what I said about dogs.
Another edit--I guess "T.S" stands for triple stumper (when the wit is coming on so strong, you have to let it out).
I'm smart and I want respect.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Seth is our standard underbet DD and overbet FJ contestant.

Trailing 11,200 to 21,000 he wagers 5,000 on a DD. He’s basically dead if he misses, so leaving the 6,200 behind is pointless.

Trailing 17,000 to 24,300 he wagers it all but $1.

Wonder if he understands even today how he screwed up on both wagers. He really should be the new champ with about 23,000.

So frustrating the contestants solely treat it as trivia contest and ignore the strategy part. Funny because the name of the game is all about strategy (risk/reward) and has nothing to do with trivia!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

When this happens, no one should win IMO

I snickered and moved to the edge of the couch when Alex announced the FJ category, POETS :twisted:

I just got back from Dublin and surprisingly, no one told me to shut my "gob"

Congrats to Eric, fellow Rutgers alumnus!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

RobW wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:12 pm Congratulations on getting a little bit of that crucial Jeopardy luck to extend your run via an overly-aggressive 2nd place wager.
"Overly-aggressive?" Is THAT what this is called now? How about sub-optimal? Or, like the knight in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade": "He chose poorly."

Or how about just say what's obvious? Poor Seth was in position to win the game if Eric did his part by wagering sensibly and missing; while he (Seth) did his part by merely wagering correctly (right or wrong on FJ, no matter)?

Eric did his part, and poor Seth made a rookie mistake with zero strategic thought, and it made the difference between winning $14K+ and a return game, vs. $1K consolation prize. I know this happens often enough that it shouldn't surprise anyone, but I keep hoping for contestants who really know how to play the game, not just information-wise but strategically as well. Deep sigh....
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

DBear wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:50 pm OK, I must have missed that discussion in lit class. How do those animal names lead to T.S. Eliot? I guessed Ogden Nash and never looked back. :?:
I guessed Ogden Nash and looked all over the place: Seuss, Carroll, everywhere but Eliot. Dang.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Overall good game for me: Ran the cats (until FJ that is :D ) in sports, horror, point, and opera (yes, opera). and got 50 right overall, which basically never happens. Coryat over $40K, which also may be a first.

Then, um, T. S. Eliot. Boo, hiss....
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:54 pm
davey wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:42 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:08 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:01 pm How do you ask for a 10-letter word and then allow an 11-letter word? Weak.
I was ok with that. It did look like there was an edit, so I'm guessing they paused the game to make a ruling. Maybe Eric rememberes?
What clue was this? I'm blanking...
Paraphrasing, it was: (Some name I don't remember) and mud-puppies are types of this 10-letter amphibian. Eric responded with "What are salamanders?"
Thanks. I guess the logic there is that they were looking for an "animal" not a "word." Not sure how I feel about that...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lefty wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:02 amI guess "T.S" stands for triple stumper
Buh DUM bum! :lol:
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Only missing Disposable and The Third Degree.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Supply and Demand, (Goblet), Obsession, Tank
Douglas Squasoni
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

John Boy wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:54 am
RobW wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:12 pm Congratulations on getting a little bit of that crucial Jeopardy luck to extend your run via an overly-aggressive 2nd place wager.
"Overly-aggressive?" Is THAT what this is called now? How about sub-optimal? Or, like the knight in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade": "He chose poorly."

Or how about just say what's obvious? Poor Seth was in position to win the game if Eric did his part by wagering sensibly and missing; while he (Seth) did his part by merely wagering correctly (right or wrong on FJ, no matter)?

Eric did his part, and poor Seth made a rookie mistake with zero strategic thought, and it made the difference between winning $14K+ and a return game, vs. $1K consolation prize. I know this happens often enough that it shouldn't surprise anyone, but I keep hoping for contestants who really know how to play the game, not just information-wise but strategically as well. Deep sigh....
Rob has been there.

You have not.

The lights do weird things to people.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Say hello to Valerie

Say hello to Vivian

Send them all my salary

From the waters of oblivion

(also for some reason Peter, Paul, and Mary changed "Vivian" to "Marian")
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Man...Seth really gave Eric a difficult time, especially when he picked up both DDs in the Double Jeopardy round. He caught fire and just couldn't quite complete the comeback. To my surprise, I was confused by the way the contestants chose Dr. Seuss as a "poet", when in all actuality, he's a children's author. That’s taking back from Fran’s response of Tibet as a country in some weird sense.

I’m not sure if this could be questionable, even for the viewers. I don’t know, guys…can we really excuse Dr. Seuss as a poet? I would doubt it if he hasn’t used those words in a children’s book.

But yeah, Eric's neg on the DD almost negated Seth's DD pickups. He got bailed out from Seth misfiring his wager and Susie not getting a chance for a sole get. He escaped, but did it the hard way. After his first game, he looked legit. But after this and his 2nd game, he scored less than what he did in his first game. I just hope he doesn't fall prey to fatigue or be outbuzzed if he is to have a chance at the ToC.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

MTGcollegestudent wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:47 pmThat’s taking back from Fran’s response of Tibet as a country in some weird sense.
What "weird" sense would that be? "Country" and "independent sovereign state" are not synonyms. It's perfectly reasonable to call Tibet a country, just like one would call Wales and Scotland countries. They all have distinct histories, cultures, and senses of common identity among their inhabitants. Hell, I would even argue that that the fact that a whole lot of people can think of Tibet as potentially being an independent sovereign state, even if that has not yet become reality, itself is an argument that it should be thought of as a country.

Whether a given region's distinct attributes are sufficient to warrant consideration as a separate country is of course subject to contestation, and is indeed a political (in the sense of cultural power) matter, but actual sovereignty is in no way a prerequisite.

Just like with "nation," a "country" is a conception that quite often develops prior to, and is used to justify a subsequent claim to, political independence. There was a Ukrainian nation decades before there was an independent Ukrainian state.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 43,800
53 R/0 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: supply & demand

I started with Lear (although I had his name mixed up with that of Alexander Pope), then switched to Carroll. Never even considered Eliot. Never seen Cats nor read Old Possum's Book, though I do know that the cats have odd names.

Seth had two chances to win with good wagers, but his choice in those situations suggest that he never gave much thought to wagering strategy. What a missed opportunity.

I generally dislike affiliate clues, but the clues in Sports Across America were quick and fairly straightforward.
Last edited by BigDaddyMatty on Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sprinkles are for winners.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:01 am I generally dislike affiliate clues, but the clues in Sports Across America were quick and fairly straightforward.
I wish they would all at least say what city they're from, though. Just "of ABC7" doesn't tell you anything. I'd prefer they use their actual call letters, but I know that's not going to happen. Though if I get the city and network, I can usually figure the calls out by myself.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:01 am ...
I started with Lear (although I had his name mixed up with that of Alexander Pope), then switched to Carroll. Never even considered Eliot. Never seen Cats nor read Old Possum's Book, though I do know that the cats have odd names.
Hey, BDM, what gives??
OCSam
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

OrangeSAM wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:52 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:01 am ...
Hey, BDM, what gives??
Oops. Edited.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

When Alex introduced the clue by saying (something like) "sounds serious, doesn't it?" I precalled Nash. But once the clue was revealed it was Eliot all the way.